The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learning and Applying Facebook Ads for E-commerce

Marketing, social media, advertising

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hey guys! JP here,

Why I'm Starting this thread

I've dug around the forum for a good progress thread based on Facebook ads. I constantly see great posts about Google AdWords especially mainly because of @Andy Black and @eliquid and their wonderful postings and threads.

I haven't really seen a good profound post outside of E-liquids' Golden crash course here and that started back in 2015 and we all know social media ad platforms change a lot on a regular basis. Regardless of this, his post still covers the basics and general advice and what you should focus on when it comes down to targeting.

However, I haven't seen anybody start from A-Z and raise a website/business using Facebook ads doing a 'progress' type of format. Now for those who know who I am. I started my journey being scattered brained to web development. Now I'm expanding myself to e-commerce, however, without proper marketing pushes my e-commerce stores will crash and burn with nothing to show so that's where Facebook ads will come in for me.

If there are other threads that I'm not aware of about Facebook Ads PLEASE share! Thanks.

Now onto the action

I've been doing google ads for local businesses and they’ve shown great promise for that sort of space. However, you can't ignore one of the biggest audiences to leave impressions and raising awareness. This might be a personal opinion and the experts can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. I think the best opportunities for e-commerce is on Facebook ads as opposed to Google AdWords. The reason being is you can target a certain demographic using custom audiences that will be much more likely to make small purchases from an online store and it seems overall cheaper to create brand awareness.

Now, I've started an e-commerce store with my family selling my late father's artwork and merchandise. He owned a well-known tattoo-shop in New Jersey and is also a figure in the motorcycle/tattooing community. He also has a documentary series up on amazon prime (he passed while filming it) "RichiePan's America".

So I thought this would be a great opportunity to use Facebook ads and learn the platform to sell his merchandise which is sold at this store, www.richiepan.com. We launched the website last Friday and already converted a few people within our own community and people have expressed support.

I started with an ad that showed a video of him doing a burnout in our backyard burnout pit with the logo. We shared this video on our Facebook page and it had great reception so I decided to use it for the ad.

Since we are just starting with this ad group, I am just spending 5$ a day and targeting a very broad group towards men over 30 and have a motorcycle hobby. It went live 3 days ago. Its showing good numbers for the first step in any basic funnel (Awareness) and it's pulling people onto the site which shows promise.

3days.png

I still need to figure out how to fix the facebook pixel and how it's pulling the data from the website. Because, even if sales have been made, I know who made the purchases personally and 100% confident that the add didn't convert anything just yet and the pixel has to be fixed because its representing wrong data, its showing 7k revenue in 3 days… I wish that were true haha… so that'll be my goal for today.

3days-1.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Sound like the pixel for conversions is set on a publically facing webpage instead of the the actual "after sale" page.

That, or your "revenue" number on the pixel is out of whack.

I'm going to go with the pixel on the wrong page since it says 520 purchases.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Personally, I have never seen an example of a Facebook pixel install accurately tracking revenue when compared side to side with Google Analytics. Even when considering entirely different attribution models and conversion windows, totally different.

This is honestly the main reason why I have not further pursued Facebook Ads for ecommerce stores to date. Now it's a different story if you offer products with a fixed cost which at that point you can just figure out your profit based on your CPA which is much simpler to work with versus ROAS across a wide spectrum of product offerings.

If anyone has any insight into getting the pixel to accurately report revenue that is in line with real world numbers across a diverse selection of products I'd love to hear about it :)

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Thanks @eliquid. Ok, I think I fixed the issue. The 'event's were being laid out on all pages and it would ping several times when it came down to only 1 user.

Now, this website is being run on woo commerce so Instead of the header code I was putting in the text editor, I just downloaded the integration tool and plugged it in and it seems to be functioning much better now.

I've also downloaded another plugin that's supposed to help my event tracking. I'm still confused on how to implement them in the best ways possible regardless the weird massive high numbers of events should go down and give me accurate data of what people do on the page.

I'm also using google analytics and thats giving me a much more accurate picture but I'm going on this journey to learn how to utilize facebook and it's platform.

Here's the numbers from google analytics though.

Capture.PNG

So I'm confident in the pixel's data regarding users. Its events that I'm trying to wrap my head around for the time being.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Ok, The campaign has run since 9-17-2018.

I've decided to turn it off because it hasn't had any true conversions just yet. Also, the data was skewed due to a mishap with the pixel setup and shows a 'purchase' value that is not correct.

Untitled picture.png

I did 5 dollars per day, and spent a total of 32.20$. I targeted a very generic audience, I might be wrong, but I think the impression number and the 3 second video views is a pretty decent number (10sec?). The video is only 12 seconds long.

My plan now is to photoshop an new Ad with a coupon code that gives 5$ off along with a release of a new category of products (sweatshirts and women apparel). Tweak the audience to be a bit more specific. I'll share on here the results of that ad next week. Hope it turns out for the better.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana

Wow, this post is golden! Thanks, man, much appreciated I'll be reading through those and taking notes.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hey guys!

Time for an update.. Now I've turned off my Facebook Ad for 10 days now, The impact on traffic is apparent, it has dropped off to almost nothing as you can see here.

upload_2018-10-10_12-57-22.png

However, when it comes to sales and converisons. There is no difference in the number of converted sales from the ad. Now the baseline has been set. I'm going to make a 10$ off the hoodies on my store and am going to make an ad out of it and promote the sale.

The budget will be another 100$ for a week or 2 depending on how fast it goes through. I am editing the facebook ad as we speak and will go live hopefully by tomorrow.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
@jpanarra Did you drop this business ? Have things moved on since October ?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
My plan now is to photoshop an new Ad with a coupon code that gives 5$ off along with a release of a new category of products (sweatshirts and women apparel). Tweak the audience to be a bit more specific. I'll share on here the results of that ad next week. Hope it turns out for the better.
Now that you are targeting women, it could be worth considering Pinterest. I'm no expert, but I know of a few people doing very well without using paid pins.

I can't see many in the motorbike field looking at pics on Pinterest, but women seem to love the place.

Walter

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
@jpanarra Did you drop this business ? Have things moved on since October ?

Hey,

I still have the website and I had to turn off the adverts for the time being, I've been more geared towards building my sales and web dev team. There are alot more details on the INSIDERS thread I've started about that.

I still have the websites and they're still slowly moving up due to SEO, but again SEM is key for a e-com store in the beginning. I'm trying to make more time away from my web development business and working for clients by delegating so I can focus on more of this stuff and generating more income that have a better chance of scaling.

Now that you are targeting women, it could be worth considering Pinterest. I'm no expert, but I know of a few people doing very well without using paid pins.

I can't see many in the motorbike field looking at pics on Pinterest, but women seem to love the place.

Walter

They do love pinterest, I have built a system that schedules a social media post across a number of platforms but pinterest isnt one of them. I for sure need to add on to it there when i have someone hired and running my social media marketing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.