The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learn to Program the Fun Way

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
A cool idea. These days almost everyone starting a web business can benefit from learning at least a bit of coding.

Why not make it a game?

Learn to code | Codecademy

code.png
Program Websites and More

Learning with Codecademy will put you on the path to building great websites, games, and apps.

badges.png
Learn with Friends

Keep tabs on your friends' progress and make sure you're learning more - faster!

progress_2.png
Track and Share Your Progress

Start learning - and don't stop. See how fast you're learning and stay motivated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LianaWesten

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jul 22, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Thanks for this link!
I tried it, and found that it's a LOT of fun, well written, and hell... even the email grab is placed right! :)

I like it!

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
they don't say "ANYWHERE" what language they are teaching.
even google.. "Your search - language site:codeacademy.com - did not match any documents."

Lesson 1 has "name".length as a function, so it's not php...

var aboutUs = "Codecademy was created when Zach got frustrated with learning how to program. For years, Ryan taught Zach the basics of HTML and CSS, but books and videos didn't help. Ryan and Zach teamed up to create Codecademy, a better, more interactive way to learn how to program. This is just the beginning. Join us as we make it easy for everyone to love and learn how to program.";

talks about HTML and CSS but it's not html nor css...

Anyone that did many lessons can tell us? I don't want to start a new language.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Lesson 1 has "name".length as a function, so it's not php...

Sorry to nitpick but that's a property.

Anyone that did many lessons can tell us? I don't want to start a new language.

It's Javascript

Edit: I just want to add, anyone interested in programming, Javascript is a very good language (as of recent) to get started with because it opens up many possibilities with new advancements. Heck, with NodeJS you can have your backend by JS instead of PHP, RoR, etc. But, there are unique advantages\disadvantages of it too.

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jul 12, 2011
yes sorry about function/property, in many languages, length is a function strlen("name"), etc.

Javascript is a good lang to learn, especially with more and more front/back end blur when you do ajax and such. Currently, many use php as backend, but then need java to handle the dynamic pages client side.

but for me (and probably many people), the 32092094 updates that java requires (always showing up in the bottom right as update avaiable), then size of these updates and the time it takes to load the stupid java platform makes the word "java" a little bit scary, even though it's not related to regular webpages.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

karakoram

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 9, 2011
San Antonio, TX
When you start the lessons, very early on it tells you its Javascript.

hrishikesh

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 8, 2011
yes sorry about function/property, in many languages, length is a function strlen("name"), etc.

Javascript is a good lang to learn, especially with more and more front/back end blur when you do ajax and such. Currently, many use php as backend, but then need java to handle the dynamic pages client side.

but for me (and probably many people), the 32092094 updates that java requires (always showing up in the bottom right as update avaiable), then size of these updates and the time it takes to load the stupid java platform makes the word "java" a little bit scary, even though it's not related to regular webpages.

Java and javascript are completely different languages...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.