The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lead gen idea (IT Consulting)

Idea threads

Sandy Dives

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 8, 2020
Norway
Hi fastlaners.

I work in the IT industry as a web developer currently and I've been thinking about a lead gen website.

The website would be a way for bigger companies to find the right consultancy for their project, whether it's a web app, mobile app, website or bigger projects like a dedicated system.

Revenue would come from leads, but I figure they could be priced well since most of the projects are big / heavily priced.

The website would be a form they could fill out, then a simple dashboard or maybe even completely email based to receive offers.

I could even offer workshops perhaps to further develop a description of what they need and receive accurate offers.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Not sure it would work.

Why not just go to a trusted source ?

Why would I risk $5k or 10k to hire someone you recommend via your lead gen website VS going to someone recommended to me by a trusted source?

Though if there's no local trusted source that provides that services in Norway then you could become that authority - give a go and see if there's any demand for it.

Sandy Dives

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 8, 2020
Norway
Not sure it would work.

Why not just go to a trusted source ?

Why would I risk $5k or 10k to hire someone you recommend via your lead gen website VS going to someone recommended to me by a trusted source?

Fair point.

I guess the value I can provide here is that I've worked for multiple companies and I know what to look for given a certain description + they can of course receive multiple offers from different companies at the same time and compare solutions, prices and customer feedback.

Since I know a lot of consultancies in the IT industry push for projects they don't really know how to build just to make money which often results in higher prices, longer deadlines, bad solutions etc.

I know if someone would have asked me for a complex custom website with some specific functionality there are some consultancies I would recommend and some I wouldn't despite the fact that they would all say they could do it if it makes sense.

It's great with feedback. This was just an idea that popped in my head some time ago and I've been thinking about a little.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Fair point.

I guess the value I can provide here is that I've worked for multiple companies and I know what to look for given a certain description + they can of course receive multiple offers from different companies at the same time and compare solutions, prices and customer feedback.

Since I know a lot of consultancies in the IT industry push for projects they don't really know how to build just to make money which often results in higher prices, longer deadlines, bad solutions etc.

I know if someone would have asked me for a complex custom website with some specific functionality there are some consultancies I would recommend and some I wouldn't despite the fact that they would all say they could do it if it makes sense.

It's great with feedback. This was just an idea that popped in my head some time ago and I've been thinking about a little.

That would be useful, if you could pre-vet the providers, know their strength and only allow them to put a bid in if they are capable of doing a great job.

Test the business mode. It might have some potential!!!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Their existing clients could leave testimonials but they would have to be real clients that would be willing to have people contact them for additional questions and/or validation.

G

Guest1413tpa

Ooo, this is a major selling point to me. This is a MASSIVE issue in the Salesforce consulting world, I can only imagine how bad it is in IT.

Good news-> These companies are starting to get hit hard due to COVID, so it may be easier for you to pre-vet people than before.

Sandy Dives

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 8, 2020
Norway
Ooo, this is a major selling point to me. This is a MASSIVE issue in the Salesforce consulting world, I can only imagine how bad it is in IT.

Good news-> These companies are starting to get hit hard due to COVID, so it may be easier for you to pre-vet people than before.
Did you prove the concept already?

Nope

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Seems valuable to me, why not just go to Upwork or some other freelancer website? Or are we talking something on more of an industrial scale?

Sandy Dives

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 8, 2020
Norway
Seems valuable to me, why not just go to Upwork or some other freelancer website? Or are we talking something on more of an industrial scale?

Certainly industrial. All though, I don't know if anyone would use the service since most big companies have a "product manager" set to do these sort of things.

I have a contact in a company (product manager) that I did some consulting for last year, perhaps contacting her and getting her to answer a couple of questions like "how did you find what consultancy to use" etc is a good start at testing the idea.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.