The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Late Bloomer's touchy-feely exploration of feelings and actions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Edited (2018-04-20) to remove something that is currently out of reach... leaving in the immediately relevant part.

Meanwhile, I'm learning how to hustle for some immediate freelancing. I've done a little of this before, but it's a big mindset shift for someone with a corporate background. I'm working on that shift!

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Edited (2018-04-20) to remove the clutter here and delete some other posts of mine. If the purpose of this thread is to document what I successfully did to move forward, discussing in detail the times I was derailed and went in circles does not serve that purpose.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Edited: deleting clutter

I also realized that because of my concerns about the freelance gig platforms, I should split my time immediately between them and Fox's method to directly approach web design clients, who can provide me a check immediately without any third party intermediary platform in the way.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Signed up for Fiverr and Upwork today.

I went through my photo archive to select what I thought were the most appropriate profile shots for Fiverr and Upwork. Airbrushed out the shaving cut in what was otherwise a good picture.

I thought that between Fiverr and Upwork, Fiverr would be easier to sign up with because of its more structured format. I thought I could have an immediate success with that and feel good about it, then go on to Upwork.

Fiverr signup hangs with the Palemoon browser, which is my favorite for reasons I can discuss another time. Fiverr signup does work with Firefox, but only if a full screen, extremely slow playing video runs in the background behind the sign-up screen. This makes it run very, very slowly throughout the registration process, while adding no value to the user.

I signed up to join Fiverr as a seller. I made custom graphics for my profile pic and the pic for my first gig. I put in my profile information and the information for my first gig. I had already written what I wanted to say, but getting that text into the site turned out to be the time consuming part, as several of the data entry fields have a very limited character count and do not clearly show text as you enter it. I have the information ready for additional gigs but:

To keep work and personal life separate, I had already got a Google Voice number for everything work related. I put in my Google Voice number when prompted for verification in order to publish the first gig. I saw that I entered it perfectly. Got an error message "there is a problem with this number" (that's all it said, with no opportunity to learn anything more) and told I must wait 48 hours to be able to verify my account and publish my first gig. There was absolutely no warning that Google Voice might not work and no explanation of why it didn't. Gvox never rang and there's no email of the forwarded sms either.

So, I now have the additional adminstrative task of searching for whether anyone else has had trouble signing up for Fiverr using Google Voice, and if so, what is the work-around?

It looks therefore that I will be able to complete my Fiverr registration on Monday afternoon, assuming that I can learn by then what I have to do to have Fiverr phone number verification work with Google Voice.

On to Upwork.

I then went on to sign up for Upwork, and got the error message about the site being down for maintenance, with no hint at all of when it might be back up. Clicked on the Status page which showed everything is up. Went back to the home page, refreshed and it came up. From then on, registration process worked fine with Palemoon.

"We noticed you’re using a gmail.com address. Would you like to use your work email instead?" No.

To the person who criticized me because you easy-breezy completed your profile by phone while doing something else: Do you also have over 30 years of paid, volunteer, educational, and life experience that needs to be selected, prioritized, and summarized to make a professional profile? If you really do, and you could consolidate all of that into a powerful, successful profile while standing in line for your turn to buy some Diet Coke and Doritos, then my hat's truly off to you... AND, you have a very lucrative career as a resume writer in front of you. Oh, got another client, I can capture all their info and crank out a professional profile for them before I get up front to buy my stamps! Quite frankly I don't see how it would be possible to write and enter a high quality profile to this site, in a few distracted minutes on a phone.

Request for phone verification hung while facebook.com was loading in the background. Kept saying "phone number must be digits" when I tried one combination after another of digits alone, parentheses around the area code, dashes between area code and number, etc. Why is Upwork loading Facebook code?? Copied the URL, killed the browser, relaunched the browser, pasted in the URL again, this time I could put in my phone number.

Verification with Google Voice went flawlessly, GVox forwarded the sms to my email as I'd asked and I was immediately able to enter the code for confirmation.

I was told I will be contacted in 24 hours as to whether my profile was approved, so I should learn about that on Sunday afternoon.

I'm behind on the transcription but the client had said he wants it by the end of the weekend, not today, so I can use tomorrow to catch up on that.

I need to identify ways to have portfolio content and payment options, for prospective clients that I find on my own.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Haven't heard back yet from either Fiverr (I wasn't expecting that today) or Upwork (logged on, status pending).

Close to done with this weekend's Slowlane money making transcription project. All the text is typed in, I need to proofread, format, and delivery. That won't take long.

Realized exactly what my questions are that I need to answer, for my next steps this year.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I am willing to discuss my specific action steps with people who have themselves succeeded at those steps. I am willing to get review of my plans from people who have themselves succeeded at comparable goals. I am willing to get advice about additional marketing platforms from those who are successfully using them.

Offering that advice is NOT made more powerful, more meaningful, wiser, more effective, or more mature, by neglecting the most basic adult humane expressions of kindness and respect.

When emotionally mature, socially responsible adults learn that someone is widowed, they respond with, "I'm sorry for your loss," not "I refuse to give a touchy-feely pat on the back."

My dislike at getting that insulting response to the fact of my greatest loss and grief in life, doesn't show that I need thicker skin.

When emotionally mature, socially responsible adults learn that someone is a cancer survivor, they respond with, "I'm sorry to learn that, I hope your health will fully recover," not "you are seeking participation medals that it's my job to give or to withhold."

The whole "participation medal" thing, anyway, came into society only with a generation mostly born long after I was already out of college. It is not part of my experience in any way.

As I said in another thread, throughout my first 25 years of life I got far more abuse and neglect for being imperfect, than appreciation for my even trying, let alone for my successes along the way. It is not motivating to tell someone who was consistently abused and neglected, within their family of origin, for being imperfect, that they deserve even more hostility now from strangers, for their sin of being imperfect. That is not valid, wise, effectively targeted psychological counsel and guidance.

Wise, effective counsel, just as any kind of marketing or sales or leadership approach, recognizes and adapts to the one who is the target of the guidance or the attempt to influence. Spewing negativity about what one imagines and invents in one's own mind about someone else's flaws and sins, is not a demonstration of advanced emotional maturity and psychological effectiveness.

My dislike at that insulting, presumptive, arrogantly patronizing dismissal of me, also doesn't show that I need thicker skin.

When emotionally mature, socially astute adults learn that what they invented and supposed about what someone else's inner life is flat out wrong, they say, "I'm sorry I made a presumptive assumption that was wrong," not, "your only right is to shut up and let me explain yourself to you."

When emotionally mature, socially responsible adults see a concern about how someone seems to have misused ONE day, they ASK, "is this a typical day? Am I on the right track with what I decided to guess, assume, suppose, invent, and speculate about you?" BEFORE they ASSUME their own ASSUMPTIONS are correct, and then IMAGINE those assumptions are facts that authorize them to criticize the character and motivation of someone they don't even know.

In my personal journey I was very fortunate to work with doctors, counselors, social workers, and ministers who have professional training and many years of experience at identifying emotional or psychological issues, and at effectively guiding people through those issues.

They did not diagnose a stranger and give prescriptions, based on what they chose to make up inside their own imagination.

Based on their actual professional guidance sessions with me, they consistently complimented my depth of psychological awareness, my commitment to personal growth, my willingness to take constructive next steps. I am not making up self-aggrandizing bullshit here. This really is a strength of mine, that's been objectively confirmed by people with a valid professional credential to have an opinion that matters.

They had no reason to bullshit me about this. I flat out asked them, and they specifically said that I was to admired, based on their professional opinion, at what I was doing to rebuild my life after a depth of hell that many people don't experience.

One of them had nearly weekly appointments with my late sweetheart and then with me for a year, before I learned that his cancer and hospice counseling was only his side job. His main job was providing psychological assessments that are valid in court. When we were alone I flat out asked him what he saw as my issues to deal with, and he flat out told me, "Chris, I see NO reason to diagnose you with any psychological issue. You don't have any condition in the DSM. You are simply someone who has had to deal with a hell of a lot of loss and grief to work through."

I do not have any reason at all to believe that some strangers on the Internet are more wise and profound in psychology and counseling than the professionals I worked with. If any of you who condemn do have a psychology license, then you would know that it's professional malpractice to even attempt to diagnose someone without an appointment conducted according to ethical standards.

I have a talent at quickly writing about my experiences in depth, including the feelings and attitudes involved. I've been complimented on using this talent online by many people, and I've been complimented on using this talent in person by many people, who had no reason or benefit for bullshitting me, going back many decades. Far from being a problem to solve and an issue to shut down, it is going to be the cornerstone of my new career.

Many emotionally mature, socially responsible adults consider it valid and valuable, to respectfully consider the emotional and psychological aspects of how other people feel, when they give advice. This is actually something important and meaningful, if one wishes to have a lasting, positive effect on another person.

I have a total of three threads I created on this site - this one and two others - where I consider and reflect on my own feelings and attitudes. Nobody is obligated to read them. I also created a very pragmatic thread about online marketing and have some more of those topics I expect to add, with just the objective facts about some technology and business things I directly know well.

In one thread from someone else - the one about someone else's experience with death in the family - I gave a heartfelt comment.

I've responded to dozens of other threads with purely factual, pragmatic comments focused on specific next steps. So, that's a very small percentage of my participation here that includes anything on the emotional/psychological side. Emotions and psychology matter, which is why MJ discussed them so much in his books. I will not accept that the rule of these forums is that my own emotions and psychology must never be dealt with respectfully here, and that insulting negative assumptions about others are standard protocol, unless I get that guidance directly from MJ.

Total time today dealing with this topic: around 20 minutes.

If you want to invent a lot of bullshit about how spending a few minutes on emotional honesty is a waste of time... that's not my fault, and it doesn't show anything broken about me that you need, or have any right, to condemn or to fix.

You are welcome to say, "I think the report you gave about your time shows you're not as efficient as if, instead, you had done this." I will respond to such positively framed, helpful ideas.

You are not welcome to say, "I'm the judge of your emotions and qualified to be your shrink, and if you don't like my psychobabble bullshit about you, that proves you're broken." I may not be able to prevent it from being said (although the terms do include, "VC specifically prohibits any use of the website... and users agree not to use the website ... for posting any incomplete, false or inaccurate information, or ... to place on the website any material that is false, defamatory, abusive, harassing or hateful.") But I can prevent such bad behavior, showing disrespect and bad faith, from getting an undeserved respectful answer. I will have no further response here to such insulting, disrespectful negativity.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Hi Chris,
I am not sure what advice is given in regards to Fiverr on the other threads, but I will give you what I have learned.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your helpful advice.

I'll follow up more tomorrow. I'm only on briefly today, before I head out for a local business event at a local bank. I don't know if it will be a good networking opportunity, but rather than try to guess about that, I'll go and find out.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
It sounds mean.

Thread authors may change the title of their own threads. As I did here.

Thread authors may also delete their own threads. Which I'll be doing here within a few days at most.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Which part is false? That the software allows user to delete their own threads?

Or, are you claiming that you know more about my own decisions and intentions than I do? If so, what is the nature of your psychic powers that let you see into my soul, and when will you pick up James Randi's million dollar prize for those who can prove their psychic powers?

Ten minute countdown to my deleting this thread: it's now 2:49 pm CDT. When this thread is gone at 3:00 pm CDT, in what way will you unconditionally apologize for your arrogant false assumption bullshit you hallucinated about knowing more than I do about the contents of my intentions?

Oh man! This is not what you should spend your time on.

Write less here, take more action.

Don't pick stupid fights. Manage your attention.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Deleting a place that other people chose to pick stupid fights, is a way to manage my attention. Once I find how to delete this thread, I'll create specific new threads and/or private conversations for only the people and comments that added value here.

Your attention should be on upwork, Fiverr or finding a gig.

Not on being defensive and trying to delete thread.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Will those of you have been widowed, please publicly say so now as I have done. Please say, as I have done, whether it was sudden, or expected for a while.

Will those of you who were out of the work force more than five years due to medically necessary caregiving, please publicly say so now as I have done. If it was within the last five years, as it was for me, please publicly say so now as I have done.

Will those of you who had more than two years unable to work because of a nearly fatal medical condition, please publicly say so now as I have done. If it was within the last five years, please publicly say so now as I have done.

See you tomorrow.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Back on for this one quick update.

This morning I sent a proposal to my client for further work for him at a discount, for his providing a prepayment.

My online time was at the library, and I had my phone ringer turned off.

When I got up to put away the laptop to drive home, I saw that the client had contacted me.

Not only had he enthusiastically accepted, letting me cover my immediate most important bills that had scared the hell out of me. Beyond that, he also told me he was able to have a positive negotiation conversation trying to get a better deal with his own biggest client.

He is 80% sure that he will be able to close that better deal, which would let him in turn provide an ongoing monthly retainer for me.

If this turns out as he hopes, it looks like for about a quarter of my available working hours dedicated to him, I'll get about a quarter of my monthly expenses nut covered for perhaps half a year.

We will talk more about this after I'm back from the bank event. He is eager to sort the details tonight, so he can get the check in the mail postmarked tomorrow, so we can make use of this better pricing deal I've offered him starting right away.

I stopped in to the forum share this news before getting into the suit for the evening.

Why did I not mention that in my online time here today? Because I was too distracted by the emotionally ignorant, socially stupid bullshit about how a widower's interest in basically humane compassion is actually somehow a hidden, covert request for "participation trophies," which are not something that's ever been part of my life for anything, nor anything I ever expect from anyone... and the other such pointless waste of time negative, attacking, full of crap, meaninglessly hostile speculations about MY experiences and emotions and ideas. I was too bogged down by slogging through the swamp of that nastiness, to be very enthusiastic about sharing my actual experiences, emotions, and ideas with people who'd rather make up negative fantasies about me.

Cut the negative crap, and we'll get to enjoy more positive, worthwhile conversations about business success, including my own, and including yours. It's easy: simply stop believing in negative hallucinations about me. Instead, ASK if what popped into your mind is right, rather than ASSUMING you're an infallible psychic. It's simple: "I WONDER if you MIGHT think this way? Is that actually how your thought process works? I SPECULATE that you FEEL this way, even though that's not in the words you've said so far. Is that speculation inside of me, about your feelings inside of you, accurate? I IMAGINE that you MIGHT have had this kind of decision making process. Before I appoint myself as your godfather to rip you a new one for what I merely imagine about you, I'm going to find out if what I GUESSED is actually the truth about you."

These are some emotionally mature communication techniques. If you're genuinely ignorant, I can provide some references to help you get up to speed.

See ya tomorrow, and please see my post just above this one about widows, caregiving, and illness. I would appreciate if those who have faced some of the same statistically unusual special circumstances as me, while building their own business success, would please identify themselves. It would be helpful for me to know who is especially well qualified to kindly advise me based on that shared experience.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
@LateBloomer I wonder if you ought to get some therapy to deal with your own medical issues/the death of your loved one and your childhood issues.

Thank you for your kind words Dubidu.

I HAVE. I've had substantial therapy and counsel from people with professional training, certification, and years of experience advising people who deal with the things I'm dealing with. The professional counselors came from several backgrounds including medical, social work, psychology, and the ministry.

Their UNANIMOUS professional opinion is that I'm admirably demonstrating courage, fortitude, psychological depth, emotional maturity, and grace, moving forward with life after going through hell.

One of them had nearly weekly sessions with my late partner and then with me over the course of the year, before I learned that this counseling in a hospice and terminal illness context was only his sideline. His day job is providing psychological evaluations for use in court.

He told me I have NO psychological issues to diagnose, only a lot of grief to process.

Their UNANIMOUS professional opinion is EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of those condemning me here.

Why they hell should I believe those who hallucinate that they're better equipped to diagnose and treat emotional issues, of a stranger they know only from a few posts on the Internet?

If MJ allowed deletion of threads, I would delete this one on the basis of exactly what you said. Unfortunately, posts apparently can't be deleted. But I can give advance notice that I'll discontinue participating in this thread soon, so that those who already have the emotional maturity and social skill for polite conversation, can carry on with me in other threads here.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
@Merging Left and @Sully1994

Well said guys, very proud of your response. And it also demonstrates why we don't delete threads -- your responses should not go unseen to anyone.

@Late Bloomer -- to echo what has been said, we're your cheerleaders, but we're also here to coach as well. A coach instructs, corrects, and encourages. The coach wants you to win. We want you to win and make progress. And be proud of where you are going.

@MJ, as a one time favor to me, and as the fact that threads can't be deleted isn't (or wasn't as of yesterday) listed in either the Terms of Use or the "how to make the most of this" thread:
May I ask you to please delete this thread, so that I can make a fresh start to my discussion of the sometimes intense "inner life" aspects of getting on the Fastlane from a difficult position in midlife?

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Well said.

@Late Bloomer I want to respectfully apologize for my posts. I should’ve been respectful. Instead of replying false, I should’ve replied sorry but this rule here makes deleting a thread not viable. My bad man.

Thank you for stepping up with a gracious apology. I accept.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
@Late BloomerDon’t give up on this forum, open up and try to take the critiscim on board, if it’s rude or unhelpful, ignore it.

Thanks Paolo. Apparently although posts can't be deleted, users can be blocked. If that's the case, then I can design my own "three strikes" rule or whatever is useful for me. I've already made some extremely positive connections here and got some wonderfully kind and helpful comments, so I'm not going to give up on this forum. I am going to think about how to use it more selectively.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Not me, I think the OP did.

Yes, that was me.

@Late Bloomer -- would you like me to move this thread to the EXECUTION category? That type of thread takes on more of a diary thread, might be suitable for your updates.

Thanks MJ. I'd like to wrap up and then abandon this thread. I hadn't explored the Execution category much, I'll do that. It might be appropriate for me to make a new thread there that's more action focused, and another in the mindset forum for the more inner focused stuff. I can see that the mix of execution and inner life material here might have been confusing to some users as to what to expect. To the extent that people reasonably thought this was going to about action and were disappointed it was instead about psychology, I apologize for some confusion I did inadvertently create with that shift in tone.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
@Late Bloomer -- to echo what has been said, we're your cheerleaders, but we're also here to coach as well. A coach instructs, corrects, and encourages. The coach wants you to win. We want you to win and make progress. And be proud of where you are going.

I appreciate that.

In addition, a good coach adapts their coaching style to the player. If the player responds well to being punched in the face, that's what they provide. If the player responds better to a kind word of hope with a smile, they offer more of those than they do punches in the face. This seems to be a foreign concept to some forum users, who seem to think everyone is best served by others appointing themselves as their personal drill sergeants. If I could have a fresh start, I'd make clearer from the start what is more useful to me.

Also, a good coach does not go beyond what they are qualified to advise. For example, I have no qualifications to teach anyone how to be a better hockey player. And so far, I've not seen anyone on this thread provide their qualifications to be a psychologist or spiritual counselor for me, despite several appointing themselves in that role.

My concern is that some of those who decided to instruct and correct, did so based on things they only imagined about me. You've never done this yourself to me, and I haven't seen you do it to anyone else. But some of the others have.

For example, assuming every day of my life is about pencils instead of asking me, or believing me, when I said that one day was a non-typical, unusually unproductive day.

For example, imagining that I had a millenial snowflake's upbringing of helicopter parenting and participation trophies, and scolding me on the basis of that supposition, without bothering to notice that I've said I'm not a father but I am the age of the parents of millenials. And that I had a post about how my experience is the opposite of a "participation trophy winner." That was some extremely presumptive projection by the other user.

For example, refusing to believe me that there were medical causes for my financial losses. And, when I told them that what they guessed was wrong, they then very angrily denounced me for not honoring their superior wisdom and insight about my own life.

With all due respect, that kind of confrontation lacks all due respect.

It's not been any one post, it's been the relentless insistence that I have to accept people's confrontations based on their own false perceptions, that's been so emotionally exhausting to me.

That's what I've found very objectionable.

Being emotionally exhausted in my situation is not unusual, and does not show a need for any forum users to assume they can diagnose and treat anything... see, I need to include that yet again as a disclaimer against further personally confrontational attack. WTF. That's why, if threads could be deleted, I'd wipe out this one and start fresh.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I'd like to touch on the direction this thread has gone, since I don't think this is what you were hoping for when you created this thread, and I'd like you to get back on track.

If this forum had a way to add a celebration gold star with an exclamation point, I'd put it in here. Best response of all. Thank you so much.

So when our good intentions get shot down, it's not received well.

That's true all the way around. If I hadn't felt that I posted something for which "let me politely suggest a better way to think about it" would be appropriate, I wouldn't be upset at getting so much less than that. And obviously that's true of those who responded as well.

Stop spending time resopnding to your critics. Even if it takes 10 minutes, it's not worth your mental and emotional energy.

That's very helpful advice. I already used it today. There was one totally flippant and pointless response on here. I just put the person on ignore rather than saying anything about it.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Edited: deleting clutter

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Thanks. I got Fiverr figured out today and I think I'll get Upwork figured out with peace of mind tomorrow.

24 hour commitments:

1. Be at least 50% through the current transcription assignment for my current client.
2. Post seven ready to buy gigs on Fiverr inside my profile there.
3. Register for Upwork and send three pitch letters, if I can find three projects I am absolutely certain I could turn around within a day for at least $50 each.

Logging off the forum for tonight, see y'all tomorrow.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Dude, you're not buying a house - you're signing up to Upwork.

You spent an entire day buying pens.

You spent today writing out these long waffley responses,

Is it any suprise you're broke?

I came back on briefly tonight to respectfully request that you delete this needlessly argumentative, confrontational, disrespectful, and negatively assumptive comment of yours.

I explained that I was able to pay my own way in life through more than two decades of corporate work.

I explained that I withdrew from the full time corporate work force in order to be an unpaid but necessary full time cancer caregiver.

I explained that at first I was able to continue to do some consulting projects, in the few thousand dollar range, but as my beloved's medical situation deteriorated I didn't see how to continue with that work and also to be present to help her. She was the one who had found the clients, and some of the work was done by us together.

I explained that after her sudden death, I was diagnosed with cancer myself, and it took a year and half for treatment that included surgery and chemotherapy.

I explained that all this was financially devastating as well as a personal and medical catastrophe. I explained that my doc told me that it was purely random bad luck that I was also a cancer patient.

Since that time, I had a part-time job. But I needed to leave that job as there was a toxic part of it that was too hazardous to my health.

Also, I have recently done some consulting in the thousand dollar range, but haven't succeeded at sustaining enough marketing and sales of these projects for three reasons.

1. As I explained, I had an emotional issue going back to my not uncommon reaction to childhood abuse. I worked through it. I was then introspective, open, and honest enough to share a psychologically deep essay about this, in hopes it might help others who face a similar emotional block.

2. I didn't have a Fastlane mindset because of not yet having read what MJ has to say.

3. I didn't have specific Fastlane techniques and skills. In particular, the freelance gig sites became available while I was out of the workforce for medical reasons, and I hadn't seen explanations of how to use them well until I discovered this forum.

Those are the actual reasons for my current poverty.

I had one day in which I was invited to have a long lunch to catch up, and then go on a shopping trip, at someone else's agenda. During that day out, I happened to get a good price on office supplies. I did not set out to waste a day with trivia. I was introspective and honestly self-deprecating enough to recognize that in business terms, it nevertheless was a wasted day.

I pointed out that Upwork's terms are longer and more complex than the terms for buying a house.

My writing here is limited to one to two hours in the evening.

I may well be mistaken in some of what I say here. But I consistently say it with dignity and respect, assuming good faith and positive intentions on the part of my fellow forum members.

I deserve nothing less in return.

I don't mind being told I'm mistaken about the specifics of business success.

I have already acknowledged that a shift to a more productive mindset is an ongoing endeavor for me.

But I do object very strongly to snarky attacks on my character, based on disrespectfully invented falsehoods about the very real medical and logistical issues that have led to my current situation.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018

Which part is false? That the software allows user to delete their own threads?

Or, are you claiming that you know more about my own decisions and intentions than I do? If so, what is the nature of your psychic powers that let you see into my soul, and when will you pick up James Randi's million dollar prize for those who can prove their psychic powers?

Ten minute countdown to my deleting this thread: it's now 2:49 pm CDT. When this thread is gone at 3:00 pm CDT, in what way will you unconditionally apologize for your arrogant false assumption bullshit you hallucinated about knowing more than I do about the contents of my intentions?

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
It's 3:05 pm CDT and the thread's still up.

Looks like @Argue has psychic powers after all :)
That's because I haven't found where the Delete button is. A help page on bb code says there's supposed to be a gear icon, but I don't see that here. Where is the delete button for a thread? I'll ask for MJ's help right now with learning how to delete a post of my own.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Oh man! This is not what you should spend your time on.

Write less here, take more action.

Don't pick stupid fights. Manage your attention.

Deleting a place that other people chose to pick stupid fights, is a way to manage my attention. Once I find how to delete this thread, I'll create specific new threads and/or private conversations for only the people and comments that added value here.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018

Ah, I was mistaken about the functionality of this forum.

If your "False" was based on already knowing that there is not a delete function, then your hiding that information was deliberately obfuscating and unhelpful.

If you didn't know that, then you made a false assumption about my intentions, which was also unhelpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.