The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Last income in July. Decision

Idea threads

DreamLund

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Apr 2, 2023
Scandinavia
ACTION FAKE - IGNORE THE THREAD...

What feels like a stone in my stomach:

I don’t like the thought of just having $700-800 in expenses every month so I need to make a decision of importance. Last income: 26th of july.

Background information
I’m 21 years old, from Sweden. Moved 625 miles from my parents at 15. High school in economics with sports orientation, to pursue my dream to be in a world championship, that I’ve now reached. No ambition to continue. Still living in the same town. I have a bike and $22,000.

NOTE:
I’m only asking because I think it would be valuable and smart to let strangers that are further down the path read my situation, give their opinions on it, and give me a wider/new perspective on it. Thank you beforehand!:)

How did I get here?
October 2022: Read The MF+ RichDadPoorDad.
December: Choose to go all in Ecommerce.
Jan-Apr: Drifting, Procrastination, Internet Addiction, Scattered focus, and a money-chasing mindset.
May: Removed distractions, bad friends, and habits that don’t serve me. I also quit my job.
June: Back to eCommerce, product ideas being validated by my eCom mentor.

Why did I quit my current job?
•I took the job ONLY to pursue my sport and reach my goal, and now that season is over for me.
•My group-leader at work is also the wife of my sports coach, which is uncomfortable. It's also why I got the job to begin with.
•The job-environment KILLS my spirit and drive.
•Want to start a new life, only keeping my entrepreneur friend + my girlfriend.
•Don’t want to climb the 40 year work ladder anymore.
•If I didn’t quit I would’ve probably got stuck..

Different choices I’ve thought of:
  1. All in on eCommerce
I dedicate my life to this, in an environment that I control. It’s also the most time efficient. However, -$7-800/mo from savings without an income. I will probably feel lonely sometimes and I would probably also hold on to my money harder because I’m not making an income at the moment.
  1. Take on a new job (part or full-time) aligned with the entrepreneurial vision
The most comfortable choice. Stay where I am, keep my friend. Income that covers the bills. Won’t touch my savings, Don’t need to tell my parents about my career. However, by having a job I feel like I will have a shattered focus and waste a lot of time. Could be exhausted during the work-week and not be efficient when working on myself.

The same pros/cons if I moved places. + the headache of moving furniture and leaving my fastlane friend.
  1. Tell my parents that I don’t have a job, move home, all in eCommerce
No work, less responsibilities, more risk-tolerant. Be honest to my family about my agenda. Live the youth that I missed between the ages of 15-21. . <$250 out per month. It puts me back to zero again.
However, my parents could kill my drive, make headaches, annoying, interrupt me and ultimately kill my dreams. They may think I’m the same person as when I was 15. The town they live outside of is filled with bad memories and people who live there are DEAD inside. I also feel like I would probably take a step in the wrong direction in life. No person there that I want as a friend.
  1. Have my girlfriend move in
No work, dedicate my days to eCommerce. I don’t need to tell my parents about my career and I can keep seeing my fastlane friend. I won’t be as lonely and I can help my girlfriend progress in her life. (She has high goals, a drive and is totally understanding of my ambitions and dreams.
However I may get comfortable and not have the same sharp drive and urgency as when alone. Cost/mo goes down to $400-550
  1. New + Have my girlfriend move in
  • Same as nr 4, except the pros/cons from (nr 2) is applied.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
What feels like a stone in my stomach:
I don’t like the thought of just having $700-800 in expenses every month so I need to make a decision of importance. Last income: 26th of july.

Background information
I’m 21 years old, from Sweden. Moved 625 miles from my parents at 15. High school in economics with sports orientation, to pursue my dream to be in a world championship, that I’ve now reached. No ambition to continue. Still living in the same town. I have a bike and $22,000.

NOTE:
I’m only asking because I think it would be valuable and smart to let strangers that are further down the path read my situation, give their opinions on it, and give me a wider/new perspective on it. Thank you beforehand!:)

How did I get here?
October 2022: Read The MF+ RichDadPoorDad.
December: Choose to go all in Ecommerce.
Jan-Apr: Drifting, Procrastination, Internet Addiction, Scattered focus, and a money-chasing mindset.
May: Removed distractions, bad friends, and habits that don’t serve me. I also quit my job.
June: Back to eCommerce, product ideas being validated by my eCom mentor.

Why did I quit my current job?
•I took the job ONLY to pursue my sport and reach my goal, and now that season is over for me.
•My group-leader at work is also the wife of my sports coach, which is uncomfortable. It's also why I got the job to begin with.
•The job-environment KILLS my spirit and drive.
•Want to start a new life, only keeping my entrepreneur friend + my girlfriend.
•Don’t want to climb the 40 year work ladder anymore.
•If I didn’t quit I would’ve probably got stuck..

Different choices I’ve thought of:
  1. All in on eCommerce
I dedicate my life to this, in an environment that I control. It’s also the most time efficient. However, -$7-800/mo from savings without an income. I will probably feel lonely sometimes and I would probably also hold on to my money harder because I’m not making an income at the moment.
  1. Take on a new job (part or full-time) aligned with the entrepreneurial vision
The most comfortable choice. Stay where I am, keep my friend. Income that covers the bills. Won’t touch my savings, Don’t need to tell my parents about my career. However, by having a job I feel like I will have a shattered focus and waste a lot of time. Could be exhausted during the work-week and not be efficient when working on myself.

The same pros/cons if I moved places. + the headache of moving furniture and leaving my fastlane friend.
  1. Tell my parents that I don’t have a job, move home, all in eCommerce
No work, less responsibilities, more risk-tolerant. Be honest to my family about my agenda. Live the youth that I missed between the ages of 15-21. . <$250 out per month. It puts me back to zero again.
However, my parents could kill my drive, make headaches, annoying, interrupt me and ultimately kill my dreams. They may think I’m the same person as when I was 15. The town they live outside of is filled with bad memories and people who live there are DEAD inside. I also feel like I would probably take a step in the wrong direction in life. No person there that I want as a friend.
  1. Have my girlfriend move in
No work, dedicate my days to eCommerce. I don’t need to tell my parents about my career and I can keep seeing my fastlane friend. I won’t be as lonely and I can help my girlfriend progress in her life. (She has high goals, a drive and is totally understanding of my ambitions and dreams.
However I may get comfortable and not have the same sharp drive and urgency as when alone. Cost/mo goes down to $400-550
  1. New + Have my girlfriend move in
  • Same as nr 4, except the pros/cons from (nr 2) is applied.
What do you really, really, really want to do? Your heart will tell you.

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Hi @DreamLund

Do I understand it correctly that you just need to spent $700-800 per month to keep living on your own?
When I did just start to get my ecommerce business going, I did move out and got something called "Minijob" in Germany.
It's less time than part-time, I think I worked about 40-45 hours per month and made 450€, which covered the rent of a 1-bedroom where I lived. That income also is tax free in Germany.
If you have something similar in Sweden, that would be the perfect solution in my opinion.

From what you wrote I would rule out moving back in with your parents right of the bat.

Especially in ecommerce there is a lot of waiting time (suppliers getting back to you, products being produced, shipping...) so you will not really waste that much time in the beginning by having a part-time or "Minijob", since there is not that much you can do anyways.
Also this forces you to be productive in the time you have and prioritize tasks.
In ecommerce right now, having a little more money is probably better than having more time since it allows you to make customizations to products, which you just couldn't afford if you had 24 hours in the day but no budget left.

Be careful about having your girlfriend move in. From your monthly budget I guess that you don't have more than 1-bedroom. I would really struggle to focus with having my gf around me 24/7 in a small apartment.

DreamLund

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Apr 2, 2023
Scandinavia
Do I understand it correctly that you just need to spent $700-800 per month to keep living on your own?
Yup.
2-room Appartment/Wifi/Insurance $520
Spotify/Audible $20
Food: ~$200
These are my recurring costs.
When I did just start to get my ecommerce business going, I did move out and got something called "Minijob" in Germany.
Will look into that:)
From what you wrote I would rule out moving back in with your parents right of the bat.
Haha, any reasons that you have come up with? beyond what I’ve written?
Especially in ecommerce there is a lot of waiting time (suppliers getting back to you, products being produced, shipping...) so you will not really waste that much time in the beginning by having a part-time or "Minijob", since there is not that much you can do anyways.
Also this forces you to be productive in the time you have and prioritize tasks.
In ecommerce right now, having a little more money is probably better than having more time since it allows you to make customizations to products, which you just couldn't afford if you had 24 hours in the day but no budget left.
Thank you so much. Insightful information!
Be careful about having your girlfriend move in. From your monthly budget I guess that you don't have more than 1-bedroom. I would really struggle to focus with having my gf around me 24/7 in a small apartment.
Yes I had a previous thread talking about this topic, and I’m on the same page here. My thought/defense was that it could’ve worked if she had a job or had her own business going. But right now she has neither.

Thank you for your profound reply Rising!

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Yup.
2-room Appartment/Wifi/Insurance $520
Spotify/Audible $20
Food: ~$200
These are my recurring costs.

That's great, very manageable.

Haha, any reasons that you have come up with? beyond what I’ve written?
Beyond what you've written, even if they were very supportive of your plan, if they are not entrepreneurs they probably are going to ask you all the time 'how is it going?'
I had lots of ups and downs and if you hadn't had success so far, the constant questioning will cause you to doubt yourself. Rather talk to your Fastlane friend or supportive girlfriend, they probably understand your struggles more.

Also I don't really see the need to put yourself in a environment which is not supportive of your dreams (not just your parents, I mean the city and vibe you described in your hometown) if you don't absolutely have to.

Yes I had a previous thread talking about this topic, and I’m on the same page here. My thought/defense was that it could’ve worked if she had a job or had her own business going. But right now she has neither.
Yes of course it works, I live together with my girlfriend now, and it is not a problem. But she has a full-time job and time consuming outdoor-hobbies. So she's barely at home and I have my own office at home which is just work work.
Maybe set it as a goal together as your first reward to move in together when you both made significant progress and each have something going that keeps (both of you!) busy.

DreamLund

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Apr 2, 2023
Scandinavia
Beyond what you've written, even if they were very supportive of your plan, if they are not entrepreneurs they probably are going to ask you all the time 'how is it going?'
I had lots of ups and downs and if you hadn't had success so far, the constant questioning will cause you to doubt yourself.
Oh that's a big one. It would happen for sure! and I would for sure doubt myself then, hell, I'm questioning myself weekly even when I'm on my own hahah.
Rather talk to your Fastlane friend or supportive girlfriend, they probably understand your struggles more.
Yes I know they do. Encouraging thought.
Also I don't really see the need to put yourself in a environment which is not supportive of your dreams (not just your parents, I mean the city and vibe you described in your hometown) if you don't absolutely have to.
Yes this is where that plan crashes the most. Old friends with dead dreams, who has the wrong, old picture of me and speaks it over me. Leaning back on old habits and routines that won't serve me at all. Not beautiful..
Yes of course it works, I live together with my girlfriend now, and it is not a problem. But she has a full-time job and time consuming outdoor-hobbies. So she's barely at home and I have my own office at home which is just work work.
Maybe set it as a goal together as your first reward to move in together when you both made significant progress and each have something going that keeps (both of you!) busy.
Wow! This was really nice. Encouraging thought, a future vision like this isn't bad at all. I'm gonna share this comment with her actually.

Your replies means a lot, Rising.

DreamLund

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Apr 2, 2023
Scandinavia
More opinions/perspectives are welcome
super valuable for me

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
However, -$7-800/mo from savings without an income.
Why are you considering going all in on e-commerce when you don't think you can make an income at it?

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
1. Get a job, work on your e-commerce business on your free time.

DreamLund

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Apr 2, 2023
Scandinavia
Why are you considering going all in on e-commerce when you don't think you can make an income at it?
Oh it’s just that I’m at such an early stage in my journey. I definiently think I will suceed in the long run but is it smart to sweep my savings short term?
Insightful comment, if you got more, please expand:)

Note: I don’t have a offer yet BizyDad

DreamLund

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Apr 2, 2023
Scandinavia
This might sound violent, but

this is such a big F*CKING ACTION FAKE

Of course I SHOULDN’T move back to my parents!
Of course I SHOULDN’T move in with my girlfriend at this stage!
Of course I SHOULDN’T move back to a city where dreams are DEAD, Where BAD habits used to be mine and BAD memories were formed!

On the inside I KNOW what I have to do, but instead I’m at this forum, feeling f*cking bad about my situation!

I wanted this to happen, to take myself out of the comfort of a mediocre salary that keeps me comfortable! Yet, here I am, seeking for a helping hand and an easy escape!
Thread is over.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.