The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Land Rover Defender

Michael Moore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Apr 6, 2014
Athy, County Kildare, Ireland
Hi all,
Michael from Ireland here.
I am an avid Land Rover fan having had a few and repaired many.
I can source 24 yr old vehicles ( considered classic ) here for less than 15 k and put 2 in a container and ship them over there.
Is anyone interested or know of a company that would buy n sell them.
The average selling price over in New York for 1 is twice that.
Thanks

Michael

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mhinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Jul 23, 2019
Kentucky
Hi all,
I can source 24 yr old vehicles ( considered classic ) here for less than 15 k and put 2 in a container and ship them over there.
Thanks

Michael

I know a place in Lagrange Kentucky. It’s called platinum motorsports.

They service and carry used rovers. I think they restore defenders too. Very nice knowledgeable people.

Here’s another place in Bowling Green Kentucky. Overland imports.

I believe they service and part out used rovers.

I hope that helps.
What model vehicles are you sourcing?

Michael Moore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Apr 6, 2014
TBH the way it works is they have to be 24 years old as a classic to register them over there ,chealply and all that.
They are used as a vehicle for cruzing down the strip....
These are tricked out models...... but original (ye right).

I replaced the backend cross member Tid welded on a 110 , 1993 , 1.6 petrol station wagon last Tuesday. I have owned a series 1 Disco Series 2 Disco (pile of scrap ;-( ) and have been using daily a 2003 Range Rover Vogue L322 for the last 4 years. I also used weld the roll cages for off road racing models.
I can purchase these straight and just Container them over , right hand drive or the wrong hand drive......or do extra work on them.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
Are you talking LR Defenders only? They are the models that sell for a fortune for some reason. Old range rovers, discoverys, etc arent worth anything.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
What is the cost to get them over here? I'm located in the middle of the USA, could send them off to NY, LA, FL, TX...

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
Heres a bunch of sales, the mark up may not be as large as you think.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Well I am tuned in. Seems like a scrappy upstart in the making.

It has been fun to see this thread unwind to here.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
What is the cost to get them over here? I'm located in the middle of the USA, could send them off to NY, LA, FL, TX...

Just to lend a hand here. If you got what is called an intermodal quote, they will use a combination of ocean, rail and truck. There is a markup for them doing this for you, but the pricing is super competitive. I love shipping via rail especially.

The difference of moving them to middle America vs parking them in a storage unit in a big market and flying out to deal with it might be significant though. It may be worth it to find a consignment guy you can trust.

Alternatively... if you could just sell them immediately to Carmax or something at a decent profit... I would do it and buy more. Quicken the turn.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
You have a market for RHD jeep wranglers over there? They are former mail delivery vehicles but no one wants RHD here. I could send those containers back over full of RHD jeeps.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Hi all,
Thanks

Michael

Awesome thread. If I had one whit of mechanical skills, I'd be your man. Aside: My 2011 LR4 is about to turn 200k miles. Best truck I've ever owned.

Michael Moore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Apr 6, 2014
Just to lend a hand here. If you got what is called an intermodal quote, they will use a combination of ocean, rail and truck. There is a markup for them doing this for you, but the pricing is super competitive. I love shipping via rail especially.

The difference of moving them to middle America vs parking them in a storage unit in a big market and flying out to deal with it might be significant though. It may be worth it to find a consignment guy you can trust.

Alternatively... if you could just sell them immediately to Carmax or something at a decent profit... I would do it and buy more. Quicken the turn.
Sounds like good advice

Michael Moore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Apr 6, 2014
Awesome thread. If I had one whit of mechanical skills, I'd be your man. Aside: My 2011 LR4 is about to turn 200k miles. Best truck I've ever owned.
I dont need someone with any skills except sales and a bit of internet searching to find buyers or an agent who can handle the deal with payment up front

Mhinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Jul 23, 2019
Kentucky
I have an 04 disco. It’s running good and only has one oil leak right now. Which is surprising haha. But no, definitely not a reliable rig lol.

I hope it works out for you!

Michael Moore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Apr 6, 2014
You have a market for RHD jeep wranglers over there? They are former mail delivery vehicles but no one wants RHD here. I could send those containers back over full of RHD jeeps.
What about the Far East , they are crying out for small usuable cars , I have a contact in Vietnam so I will hit him up on that.

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
I’m actually planning on importing a Defender 90 to Texas so I’m a buyer. Looking for a 93-94 defender. It has to be original with no mods or restoration. We aren’t allowed to import any cars that have been modified. All of the serial numbers on panels and engine should be matching

Over here, they will sell starting in the mid 20s . So im not sure if there is any margin if you’re saying they are $15k plus shipping.

Here is a company that does something similar near me

Last edited:

Michael Moore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Apr 6, 2014
I’m actually planning on importing a Defender 90 to Texas so I’m a buyer. Looking for a 93-94 defender. It has to be original with no mods or restoration. We aren’t allowed to import any cars that have been modified. All of the serial numbers on panels and engine should be matching

Over here, they will sell starting in the mid 20s . So im not sure if there is any margin if you’re saying they are $15k plus shipping.

Can you include a few more details please, fuel , engine size, wheelbase LHD or RHD open top crew cab etc
I wont have a shipping price until early next week.
Just waiting on my contact.
Thanks

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
Can you include a few more details please, fuel , engine size, wheelbase LHD or RHD open top crew cab etc
I wont have a shipping price until early next week.
Just waiting on my contact.
Thanks

1990-1994 Defender 90. Engine Size: 300Tdi, Doesn't matter if its RHD or LHD but it has to be original. No convertible or crew cab.

The key is to find something that is original and does not have any mods or replacements. It is very important because the car cannot enter the states if it has been modified.

Michael Moore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Apr 6, 2014

$53,000 with a new chassis even though they say itis original , I have redone enough of them...

Michael Moore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Apr 6, 2014
$53,000 with a new chassis even though they say itis original , I have redone enough of them...
This one has an identical chassis pictures , I wonder???

Michael Moore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Apr 6, 2014
This one has an identical chassis pictures , I wonder???
$30,000 more like original but very few chassis pics???

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.