The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Alright Fastlane Forum.. Help me land this deal

Marketing, social media, advertising
G

GuestUserX09

So- I have a progress thread around here regarding my newest venture. In short, I am gathering clients and servicing them with digital marketing, social media, and graphics. These clients are on monthly plans either 6 or 12 months. I currently have a few small clients, 3-figures each MRR.

I was caught off guard the other day with a hour long phone call - a marketing firm who is looking to outsource some portions of client work to another group, my company. (company = just me and a few contractors under an llc) **They initially only wanted a 2-3 in house employees, I applied to the job knowing this and then value propositioned them into considering an agency instead.

The deal: 12 months of service. Anywhere between 5-15 clients, about 1k/mo per.

I hit it off with the company's owner out the gate over the phone and we had many personal traits and such in common- she also liked my life story of hustling, etc . I think this is the strongest point right now that could land me this deal. Right now I've sold them on me- but will they be sold on actually doing business?

Here are potential roadblocks:

- I am 22, turning 23 on the day of the meeting. They know my age and seem enthusiastic about it but will it cause them to hesitate to do this deal?

- I work 40+ hours a week at a fancy day job. They know this but are fascinated by it. I have only 3 reliable contractors and I would need about 2 more to handle the full 15 client accounts. They think the small team thing is cool now but will it come off as amateurish and blow the deal?

- My company is 2 months old, in llc age. I freelanced and did various work like this in the past but it hasn't ever been official until just 2 months ago. I have no clue how to angle it if I'm asked.

- I have a very limited portfolio, most work in the past were odd jobs around digital marketing that can't really be used as example. I do have the experience personally, but putting it in a bite sized context is a little rough.

Anyways, this could be a life changing deal right here and it just wouldn't be right heading into it without getting some insight from FLF.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Usually being young in the digital marketing/ social media industry is considered a plus so I don't think that you are 22/23 is a big deal. I meet with clients and I am 24, and I have never had a problem and I am in an industry that favors the people who have been in it for 20+ years. It's all about showing them the value you bring.

If you are young-- people expect your business to be young. If a client asks, then tell them you recently incorporated and before you just freelanced. You can't have a 10 year old company when your 22, it just doesn't make sense. 2 months is fine and you already have clients which proves you are good at what you do. If you have any clients that really like you, ask them for a testimonial to bring to meetings. This will help with roadblocks #3 and #4

Your idea is good and has lots of potential. I don't see the roadblocks as really big roadblocks-- maybe like speed bumps?

Last edited:
G

GuestUserX09

@becks22 I like the client testimonial parts- I will see what recent live testimonials I can gather. I do however have over 400 fiverr testimonials from back in the day but I'm not sure I can use those without de-valuing my service/experience.

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I don't think those are big or reasonable objections to you closing the deal either.

Do you believe that you can service those clients well, even though you're only 22? Do you think you think you can run the operation well even though you have a normal day job?

As long as you REALLY believe you can do it well... all you have to do is communicate that with them authentically. Don't shy behind the fact you and your business are young. If you're honest and upfront with them, they'll probably respect you for it and work with you.

Go for it!

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I do managed adwords services for eCom businesses, which seems like a related subset of what you're doing.

Here's what I think, based on my limited experience so far:

- your age shouldn't be a factor, as long as you don't come across as immature. If it comes up, and it seems like an issue, one potential way to counter the objection is to play to the angle of being of the social media generation. You grew up with it, swim in it, breathe it - you're the social media fish. I'm an old fuddy duddy born in the early 80s; I hate social media. If I were partnering with someone, a good understanding and working knowledge of social media would be beneficial. Chances are high they are fellow 30 somethings and not quite as in tune with these new fangled platforms.

- Small team isn't a huge deal. If they wanted a larger firm, they would seek one out. If they raise a concern about the workload, acknowledge it (it's valid) and let them know you'll expand as workload rises. You take the growth of your team very seriously, as you only want to hire people that fit into your burgeoning culture.

- Don't worry about the age of your llc, and most certainly don't try dodge this objection - it's easy to counter The way to deal with this is to acknowledge it and point to the experience of your team. You're not the only one doing the heavy lifting, you have help and they have years of experience. You can also point to your own past freelance experience, as it's quite common for people to transition from freelancer to larger agency.

- I haven't set up a partnership yet, but when I pitch clients I do an account overview. I get temporary access to their account and point out how I can help. This, and related tactics, has proved quite effective, as @Andy Black has also no doubt found out. Show them you can help them, by showing them how you can help them. Naturally you'll have to tailor this advice towards what you're doing, but the idea is pretty general. Come up with something that demonstrates competency.

As to the fiverr feedback, you can use it and not mention that you got it on fiverr. I have a video testimonial from my first client that I got on Upwork. Nobody has ever asked where I got that client, and the testimonial helped me close at least one deal (i know this because I track my emails - i sent an email with the testimonial before closing the deal over the phone, and they watched it). As long as the feedback is true, I don't think it's unethical to quote it without mentioning the source of the client. I've never seen any other firm say where they got the client in the testimonial.

Also, something you should incorporate into your sales strategy is to proactively found out their objections. Simply ask "is there any reason we couldn't do this deal?"

If they give an objection, repeat your question: "is there any other reason we couldn't do this?"

Sometimes you'll find the first "objection" isn't legit, it's just masking something else. Other times, it's just the first objection. At that point you know what needs to be done to close the deal.

Welcoming objections shows transparency and confidence, which go a long way towards closing the deal. Nobody wants to deal with people who obfuscate the truth and don't project professionalism.

My guess is that all the things you've pointed out here, won't be an issue - but I went ahead and gave my $0.02 just in case :)

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
1. I am 22, turning 23 on the day of the meeting. They know my age and seem enthusiastic about it but will it cause them to hesitate to do this deal?

2. I work 40+ hours a week at a fancy day job. They know this but are fascinated by it. I have only 3 reliable contractors and I would need about 2 more to handle the full 15 client accounts. They think the small team thing is cool now but will it come off as amateurish and blow the deal?

3. My company is 2 months old, in llc age. I freelanced and did various work like this in the past but it hasn't ever been official until just 2 months ago. I have no clue how to angle it if I'm asked.

4. I have a very limited portfolio, most work in the past were odd jobs around digital marketing that can't really be used as example. I do have the experience personally, but putting it in a bite sized context is a little rough.

I love getting asked these types of questions by clients. What you're doing is outside of the norm (in a good way). Society doesn't expect us to be grinding at such a young age. To have the experience in our field, that seasoned vets could only dream of...

1. This is your biggest advantage. All of those 30-50 year olds, with "experience" under their belts were begging for a half day off when they were our age. (Smart owners recognize this. If they see in you, what they see in themselves, you got this in the bag.)

2. Interesting angle...maybe they want to offer you a job. (careful if you're looking to go out on your own. I got suckered into a position, for a few months, when I first started b/c of the short term monetary gains)

3. Say, "I've been hustlin since I was in the womb, but only recently incorporated." (with a professional tone, ofc) Tell them how long you've done this - they understand an LLC is just paperwork.

4. If they specifically ask for portfolio, "Sure I can send you that." Then dive right into the specifics about how the industry works and what you can do for them. "One of my favorite projects I did...it actually reminds me of [insert famous project he's heard about], because [Specific point 1, 2, etc], and it had [Impact 1, 2, etc]." They'll know if you know what you're talking about.

G

GuestUserX09

@Michael Burgess - I honestly do believe I could get their entire project handled but maybe I am personally hesitating about the depth in my team our reliability about contractors that might not be as dedicated as I am. However, pertaining to me and my experience- I've been able to translate the confidence in myself to them very well so far. Thanks for your input

G

GuestUserX09

@lowtek Thanks for these notes- I definitely like the idea of asking what their objections may be. I had a stretch of face-to-face sales in the past and was always a rockstar until it was time to ask for the sale. Getting the sale online or over the phone however has always been much simpler.

You match a lot of my thoughts on these objections. I guess I'm just trying to cover my bases then because it makes sense that I could land this but I'm trying to be very careful- I've never had a deal like this within reach and I need to make sure I've covered all of the bases that I can. Seems many of these possible objections have very easy to see positives within them. Thanks

G

GuestUserX09

@ApparentHorizon I completely agree and it's the wildest thing. It's always been a bit tough for me to take business to larger scales just because I've always been young and it felt pre-mature or sort of fake.

From the people I have asked in real life, they have all said that if the deal doesn't get done they will most likely try to hire me, but that goes against my "lifestyle creation" and would most likely not be much of a increase from my current job.

I will make sure to take a slow pause and drop the "hustling since I was out of the womb" line. Seriously. I'll follow up this thread and let you know if I did it. lol.

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
The first part of your post I'm feeling CONFIDENCE and DEDICATION.... but then the middle-end you start to DOUBTING YOURSELF...

Your overthinking it IMO. If you have made a solid connection (especially talking about the lady who liked you because she hustled too) then don't let YOUR worries about what other people might think about stuff like your age even pop into your mind... You won't know and no one else will be able to know exactly how to balance the workload with your employee's but NEEDING MORE HELP but of GROWTH is always a good thing... If you need more help you can find it easily with things like Craigslist gigs and other things.

Coming from someone with nothing and lost right now, I can tell you have the plan/desire because your already this far... Your just facing the fears of your business is not just a idea/plan your working on rather you have a real client. GO FOR IT buddy and never lie about something you can't backup, but nothing is wrong with acting/being confident to clients while you completely WING IT which is part of learning.

Goodluck!

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
Don't doubt yourself.

When you are growing your potential problems always appear larger, you just hustle on through them.

I experienced a similar situation earlier this month with setting up facebook ads and developing a direct mail campaign for a local business franchise. Their revenue alone scared the crap out of me. But all I could do is put one foot in front of the other and focus on helping them.

Skills now a day have zero to do with age. Show up and show out @Square1Hype

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
@ApparentHorizon I completely agree and it's the wildest thing. It's always been a bit tough for me to take business to larger scales just because I've always been young and it felt pre-mature or sort of fake.

From the people I have asked in real life, they have all said that if the deal doesn't get done they will most likely try to hire me, but that goes against my "lifestyle creation" and would most likely not be much of a increase from my current job.

I will make sure to take a slow pause and drop the "hustling since I was out of the womb" line. Seriously. I'll follow up this thread and let you know if I did it. lol.
I will definitely be following to se your outcome! Good luck and just imagine the deal is already close then start crushing it.

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City

I will definitely be following to se your outcome! Good luck and just imagine the deal is already close then start crushing it.

G

GuestUserX09

@Mr.Chaos I agree- it's hard to keep as a first thought sometimes but it's something I preach myself that skill and age shouldn't have a correlation in today's age. Thanks for the reminder

G

GuestUserX09

Just an update to all - I silently crushed the meeting. Basically, I was beyond words of how much value I could bring them. I met with 3 execs and tried to instill confidence into them over an hour. It seemed like we were about to do the deal and they mentioned that they'd like to schedule a part-2. Right now it seems like I secured a small portion of this deal and the rest of it isn't as tangible as they let on. Still have a 4 figure monthly deal on the table.

They have requested I send more examples between now and the TBD part-2 meeting next week. No dice yet.

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
Just an update to all - I silently crushed the meeting. Basically, I was beyond words of how much value I could bring them. I met with 3 execs and tried to instill confidence into them over an hour. It seemed like we were about to do the deal and they mentioned that they'd like to schedule a part-2. Right now it seems like I secured a small portion of this deal and the rest of it isn't as tangible as they let on. Still have a 4 figure monthly deal on the table.

They have requested I send more examples between now and the TBD part-2 meeting next week. No dice yet.
"No dice" yet BUT not closed door shut... Make it happen man.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Excellent, good work. These sorts of decisions follow a process, and the goal of each meeting or interaction is to advance the process. Sounds like it was a successful meeting, then.

Go read SPIN selling, it's immensely useful for high ticket sales. It's difficult to master, but it's basically THE way to get monster deals buttoned up. @Ubermensch can attest to that.

Subscribe to Grant Cardone on YouTube. He drops lots of nuggets from his training program on his shows.

G

GuestUserX09

@lowtek this is awesome because I had a year long stretch where I consumed all of GCs content, even bought his books as birthday presents for a couple of friends in sales.

And I'll look into SPIN, I feel like a fish out of water closing these larger deals. There's so much extra consideration on the other party's side that I'm not used to satisfying. I'm most experienced with 5-30 minute deals. This is getting pretty intensive.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
And I'll look into SPIN, I feel like a fish out of water closing these larger deals. There's so much extra consideration on the other party's side that I'm not used to satisfying. I'm most experienced with 5-30 minute deals. This is getting pretty intensive.

This is key. Discussed below.

Right now I've sold them on me- but will they be sold on actually doing business?

If you have already sold them, then it is a FACT that this is your deal to lose. Take comfort in this, because it means that if you play your cards right, you'll get ink on an agreement, and checks/deposits (the end goal, just in case you needed a reminder).

The more you evolve as a salesman, the more you begin to see the massive difference between selling low-dollar items in fast sales, and selling high-dollar items with a sales process that lasts days, weeks, months (and possibly even years).

Fundamentally - and you will learn this through experience, and if will at least understand it theoretically if you read SPIN selling - a successful sale comes down to getting a "yes." In a short sales cycle for a low-dollar item - like a cell phone sale at a kiosk, or pretty much any door-to-door sale made at a residence - the first yes is usually the last yes. The sale is closed, and the deal is done.

In a long sales cycle, for a high-dollar item - pretty much any type of consulting service sold B2B fits in this category - you still set a goal of obtaining a "yes." However, the difference is that you are strategically connecting a series of "yes" answers from the client, seeing each "yes" as a step closer and closer to the ultimate strategic goal: the sale, the close - getting paid (just in case you once again forgot that was the point, from the last time I reminded you).

Here are potential roadblocks:

- I am 22, turning 23 on the day of the meeting. They know my age and seem enthusiastic about it but will it cause them to hesitate to do this deal?

Depending on your service offering, you should view your youth as a blessing, not a curse. If you provide ongoing support involving technology, social media, online savvy, etc, then I would personally rather hire you than some octogenarian on the other extreme end of the youth scale.

If you insist on mentally handicapping yourself with self-limiting beliefs (worrying about whether or not people will discriminate against you because of your age is as productive as worrying about them discriminating against you because of your ethnicity, gender, etc), then seek out a local guru or expert in your industry and form a strategic partnerhsip with them. Essentially put this person or persons on your "board" of operations. You might consider having such individuals show up on a conference call or an in-person meeting with your prospect. If you take this route, apply an aspect of Law 1 in the 48 Laws of Power: Make the glory revolve around the master.

In other words, if you really think that your youth is a problem, and that the presence of "seniority" and "pedigree" and "experience" will help you close the deal, then bring your silver-haired "board member" and focus the attention on his skill and experience, and how the services you provide reflect this master's greatness. If your prospects are truly people that are moved by such appeals, then you will have your bases covered with this tactic.

- I work 40+ hours a week at a fancy day job. They know this but are fascinated by it. I have only 3 reliable contractors and I would need about 2 more to handle the full 15 client accounts. They think the small team thing is cool now but will it come off as amateurish and blow the deal?

You're not an amateur, are you? You're a winner, right? You're a closer, right? Your clients are in good hands, right? You will knock their socks off and make them very happy, right? They're completely right and justified to be so completely blown away by you, right?

Right?

Okay. So, stop doubting yourself. Stop asking self-limiting questions. This deal is yours. Just take it. Put another way: Kiss the girl, because she wants you to. Close the deal; the client wants to be closed.

- My company is 2 months old, in llc age. I freelanced and did various work like this in the past but it hasn't ever been official until just 2 months ago. I have no clue how to angle it if I'm asked.

Lmfao, snort. This is easy as F*ck to overcome.

You're a super dope member of the new breed type of entrepreneur: Young, hip, with a fiercely ambitious mind overflowing with disruptive and market-making ideas. Right now, you work this very cool hip job (focus the attention on that, if this position really does "excite" them... heh-heh-heh), and then suddenly... around 60 days ago... you had the startling realization that all of the experience you've developed in this role has prepared you to start an exciting and lucrative consulting business on the side. Right now, you're only taking on clients that are an absolute perfect for you... which is why your current prospect is so lucky to even be speaking to you. Eventually, however, you're going to take your talents to the free market full-time. Your first few clients will be treated extra special by you, which should make them feel unique... because as you grow in your BO$$ status, you will develop a team underneath you. You will eventually grow so prosperously and profitably that you simply won't have time to communicate with all of your future clients directly.

But now, the hip, start-up, young superstar hustler is right here in front of them, making eye-contact, shaking hands, starting from the bottom to make it to the top.

If your clients are entrepreneurs themselves, you'll warm their hearts with your sincerity. Don't be scared of who you are. Embrace it and see only the positive in it. Don't sabotage this deal by asking moronic, beta-male questions. Be an Alpha. See it. Want it. Take it.

Now go close that motherfuckin' deal.

- I have a very limited portfolio, most work in the past were odd jobs around digital marketing that can't really be used as example. I do have the experience personally, but putting it in a bite sized context is a little rough.

Anyways, this could be a life changing deal right here and it just wouldn't be right heading into it without getting some insight from FLF.

Asking yourself questions like this makes as much sense as Superman eating a bowl of Kryptonite for breakfast. You're only making yourself weaker.

Will yourself to POWER, not WEAKNESS.

Ask yourself questions like: How can I MAKE SURE that I close this deal, since a start to a better life for me depends on it?

You need to ask yourself if you really believe that you DESERVE this deal. Perhaps deep down inside you think someone else deserves the deal.

Analogy: If you have all kinds of doubts swimming inside you, do you think you're going to turn her on?

Translation: Brainwash yourself. No, man. I mean literally. Brain wash yourself. Change the way you talk to yourself. Talk like a winner.

And stop killing the deal inside of your own mind. You've got this. Stay calm. Follow the steps.

And in case all of that failed to drive home the point, perhaps the following short video will help.

You want to be Ari Gold, the guy trying to get the deal done. Don't be Amanda, and come up with all sorts of crazy reasons why you won't get the deal.

Last edited:
G

GuestUserX09

@Ubermensch This has got to be one of the best replies I've gotten on this forum to date- possibly because the last 5 seconds of that video really reminded me who I am when it comes to deals. It seems I'm admittedly off my game a little bit just because of how badly I want this deal compared to smaller deals I'm not really so invested into.

I think you're right- I do have this deal wrapped up. I like the idea of stringing a series of "yes's" together, because that all we've been doing, I haven't heard a single objection from them, more so just light questions/concerns. I absolutely will change my focus to taking my win here in the final stretch, because like you said, this deal is mine.

Seems there was more prep here for defense then going on the offense. Much appreciated notes, I'm going to close this deal- will report back.

G

GuestUserX09

So update here- They were taking too long with the deal so I decided to go Grant Cardone style. I put my nuts on the table and asked them "Visa, MasterCard, or American Express?" (Actually much more gracefully than that, but you get the point)

They sent over several more questions and re-iterated that they like me and have it narrowed down between a few companies. They also asked me to name my price. I think I panicked a bit and went about 70% lower than I wanted to. Still, after expenses, it is a 4 figure/month deal for my personal profit but now I have a feeling I could have gotten nearly twice as much if they accept my current number.

So now, it's a waiting game. Possibly, they will request more/extended services in the future giving me the opportunity to collect higher margins on the deal.

Any last cherries to put on top while waiting? Or just last second follow ups if I don't hear back in 48 hours? Finish line is in sight

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
So update here- They were taking too long with the deal so I decided to go Grant Cardone style. I put my nuts on the table and asked them "Visa, MasterCard, or American Express?" (Actually much more gracefully than that, but you get the point)

They sent over several more questions and re-iterated that they like me and have it narrowed down between a few companies. They also asked me to name my price. I think I panicked a bit and went about 70% lower than I wanted to. Still, after expenses, it is a 4 figure/month deal for my personal profit but now I have a feeling I could have gotten nearly twice as much if they accept my current number.

So now, it's a waiting game. Possibly, they will request more/extended services in the future giving me the opportunity to collect higher margins on the deal.

Any last cherries to put on top while waiting? Or just last second follow ups if I don't hear back in 48 hours? Finish line is in sight

Fill your pipeline. You're not marrying this client, so don't be monogamous. Get out there and build more relationships. Don't blow this deal by screwing with the Law of Scarcity.

G

GuestUserX09

Fill your pipeline. You're not marrying this client, so don't be monogamous. Get out there and build more relationships. Don't blow this deal by screwing with the Law of Scarcity.

Really funny seeing this when I just had a sort of realization moments ago that I was getting so wrapped up in this deal that I could have probably landed a couple of smaller ones during this time. Definitely agree- business is way too young and clients way too few to be letting up on the gas even with a larger deal in the works.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Great thread, I can really empathize with the startup identity...though not with the youth aspect. Congrats on your progress to date. Remember that if this deal falls thru, you've gained some valuable experience and the next one will be a walk in the part!

Looking forward to more updates!

G

GuestUserX09

So.. deal is dwindling along. Negotiation and needing reassurance beyond necessary at this point imo. Every next meeting is "final word" but nothing yet. I slashed my price in half and gave them 3 days to pay the invoice. After that they can pay full price whenever they want. I have to re-focus to other clients.

Oh, and I was afraid I panicked and gave too low of a price. They said mine was the highest of all companies they interviewed! Funny. Because all of my competitors charge 5x more than I do, so I have no clue who they must have been meeting with.

Leaving this where it is. I'll update this again only if I seal a payment or have written it off.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.