The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just finished reading The $1,000,000 Web Designer Guide

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

spirit

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 11, 2019
Hey, I just finished reading a paperback copy of Fox's The $1,000,000 Web Designer Guide.

It was an awesome book, and I learned a lot. It totally changed my mindset.

I have at least 1 person that trusts me. They have a website, but I'm going to contact them to see any troubles their business is having.

I have a few questions before I get started:

1. What is the best way to approach designing a website. I know I should be almost entirely business oriented, but should I use themes or maybe a certain program? I do know some HTML, CSS, and a bit of JavaScript. I have made some sites from scratch in the past, and they look somewhat decent, but it takes a long time and I'm not much of a visual artist.

2. What do you do about photos? Did you teach yourself photography for building sites? What if the client is far away in another city?

3. At this stage, should I be learning copywriting? I know it can increase value for a business dramatically. How about learning about marketing?

I don't want to get a cycle of consuming information without building anything, but those are my questions so far. Hopefully I can make more posts in this thread later as more questions arise.

Thanks a lot!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey thats cool - glad you liked it.

1) Try use some kind of website building system like a theme or template. If the site is very basic then a html theme can work fine but if you are comfortable with it (and/or more features are needed) then Wordpress or something like Elementor would work great. In general use what you will find easiest to get the best results.

2) Few options here...
- Use free stock photo sites like Pexel
- See if they can take some photos themselves
- See if they will have the budget to hire a local photographer for a day
- See if you can use images they already posted on social media or elsewhere

Usually I use a combination of these ^
Just try make the style match and focus on images that seem real and that will build trust.

3) Ya copywriting and marketing are both super valuable skills. A good starting book would be this one: https://www.amazon.com/Copywriting-Secrets-Everyone-Clicks-Profits/ but there are lots of others.

The key with website is copy is just focusing on where the website users are coming from (pain points, experience, fears, desires, trust concerns, personal perspective etc) and where they want to go (desired end results, benefits etc). Just put yourself in the users shoes and walk them through the journey from clicking on to the website to when they take the desired action.

Hope that helps!

Balkins

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2016

1) Try use some kind of website building system like a theme or template. If the site is very basic then a html theme can work fine but if you are comfortable with it (and/or more features are needed) then Wordpress or something like Elementor would work great. In general use what you will find easiest to get the best results.

2) Few options here...

Just try make the style match and focus on images that seem real and that will build trust.

3) Ya copywriting and marketing are both super valuable skills. A good starting book would be this one: https://www.amazon.com/Copywriting-Secrets-Everyone-Clicks-Profits/ but there are lots of others.

The key with website is copy is just focusing on where the website users are coming from (pain points, experience, fears, desires, trust concerns, personal perspective etc) and where they want to go (desired end results, benefits etc). Just put yourself in the users shoes and walk them through the journey from clicking on to the website to when they take the desired action.

Hope that helps!

The problem I see with web design is intense intellectual coding skills.

Unless you can tap into a bevy of skilled labor that's cheap, you are competing against other programmers whu have a lot more experience then you.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
The problem I see with web design is intense intellectual coding skills.

Unless you can tap into a bevy of skilled labor that's cheap, you are competing against other programmers whu have a lot more experience then you.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

100% not the case.

Check out the book if you want - it’s free.

Balkins

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2016
100% not the case.

Check out the book if you want - it’s free.

i've done coding (html, wordpress, php, mysql, etc)...its complicated and highly systematic.

UNLESS you can find a code farm in India, China or Phillipines, you will eventually turn to HARD LIQUOR ~

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Mar 8, 2018
England
If you chomp on some more carrots Bugs Bunny, you will see a clue in his signature that relates to the thread title. :)

Dan

Balkins

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2016
If you chomp on some more carrots Bugs Bunny, you will see a clue in his signature that relates to the thread title. :)

Dan

I've decided to do a 'Trans-animal Change' and go with Popeye~
'Well Blown me Down....~'

~T

Balkins

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jun 18, 2016

Dan
YES...it was obvious he is the author of that book...And now i see its a free Kindle book~
Got it....Thanks~

spirit

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 11, 2019

2) Few options here...

Hope that helps!
Thanks for your response, that is very helpful!

I'm getting a copy of that copywriting book you mentioned. I also read that Seth Godin's books are really good for learning marketing. If you've read his books, is This is Marketing the best place to start? (This Is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn to See: Godin, Seth: 9780525540830: Books - Amazon.ca)

How much preparation is needed before I start? Should I break down the entire process, learn it, and then start? For example, learn how to use templates, learn how to assess business problems, copywriting, marketing, etc.? When are you confident you can provide high value to people?

Thanks again. :)

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
How much preparation is needed before I start? Should I break down the entire process, learn it, and then start? For example, learn how to use templates, learn how to assess business problems, copywriting, marketing, etc.? When are you confident you can provide high value to people?

I would read my free book, the copy one (since you already have it), and then get going.
It is the kind of thing you want to learn as you go - kinda like riding a bike.

People who over-learn at the start build up a lot of anxiety and get confused as to what to actually do.
*But* you don't want to not learn either and spin your wheels for months making no progress.

So just combine real action with some good resources and you will see steady progress.
Feel free to make a progress thread and tag me in if you want.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Just shout out again to @MTF who helped get this book made and released.

Currently coming up on 12,000 copies downloaded/bought which is crazy!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

softbench.co

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 2, 2021
Hi, welcome to the forums.

Just search "web design guide" on whatever Amazon store you use.

Here is a link to the UK one: $1, 000, 000 Web Designer Guide: A Practical Guide for Wealth and Freedom as an Online Freelancer: Amazon.co.uk: O'Rourke, Rob Anthony: 9781838312800: Books
Hey, I just finished reading a paperback copy of Fox's The $1,000,000 Web Designer Guide.

It was an awesome book, and I learned a lot. It totally changed my mindset.

I have at least 1 person that trusts me. They have a website, but I'm going to contact them to see any troubles their business is having.

I have a few questions before I get started:

1. What is the best way to approach designing a website. I know I should be almost entirely business oriented, but should I use themes or maybe a certain program? I do know some HTML, CSS, and a bit of JavaScript. I have made some sites from scratch in the past, and they look somewhat decent, but it takes a long time and I'm not much of a visual artist.

2. What do you do about photos? Did you teach yourself photography for building sites? What if the client is far away in another city?

3. At this stage, should I be learning copywriting? I know it can increase value for a business dramatically. How about learning about marketing?

I don't want to get a cycle of consuming information without building anything, but those are my questions so far. Hopefully I can make more posts in this thread later as more questions arise.

Thanks a lot!
Welcome to the industry! Been growing my web design agency for the past 4 years now, started as a side hustle but now doing this FT. Instead of trying to figure out everything myself and become a true expert in all areas, I've been able to scale my agency leveraging white label partners for each specialty (design, copywriting, SEO, etc). As long as my clients are happy, they keep coming back and referring others. Let me know if you have any questions.

spirit

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 11, 2019
Welcome to the industry! Been growing my web design agency for the past 4 years now, started as a side hustle but now doing this FT. Instead of trying to figure out everything myself and become a true expert in all areas, I've been able to scale my agency leveraging white label partners for each specialty (design, copywriting, SEO, etc). As long as my clients are happy, they keep coming back and referring others. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nice! That's a good idea to get partners for each speciality. At this stage though, I'm doing everything myself. I actually just finished work for my first client!

I do have some questions.

Say you have a client that wants more customers. You can do things like focusing the website on call to actions, using copywriting, testimonials for social proof, SEO, advertising, marketing tactics etc..

How are you 100% sure your efforts will actually get the client more customers? And how do you communicate this with the client?

softbench.co

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 2, 2021
Nice! That's a good idea to get partners for each speciality. At this stage though, I'm doing everything myself. I actually just finished work for my first client!

I do have some questions.

Say you have a client that wants more customers. You can do things like focusing the website on call to actions, using copywriting, testimonials for social proof, SEO, advertising, marketing tactics etc..

How are you 100% sure your efforts will actually get the client more customers? And how do you communicate this with the client?
Congrats on your 1st client! And many more to come...

Great question as you'll never be 100% sure the ROI will be there for your clients, however there are ways to minimize the risks. Just gotta remember its a long term game when it comes to SEO, etc and you must communicate that to clients as nothing is an overnight success (depending on the industry as well). However, as we all know, Google/FB/IG/YT etc is a PAY-TO-PLAY platform so I've been pushing all my clients that the fastest way to get traffic, customers, leads, etc is to leverage Google Ads and Facebook Ads respectively.

Which brings me back to my initial point here is that I'm no expert in Paid Advertising (my background is actually ecommerce operations) so I leverage those white label partners to do all the legwork for me. I'm just the face for the client. Win-Win-Win...you know?

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018

When you started as a side hustle were you still white labeling everything? Or did you do more of the coding work yourself initially and now to scale it you've hired others? If not, how did you have the capital to outsource so much in the beginning?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.