The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Job Position for Junior Data Scientist with Entrepreneurial Aspirations

Feedback

BlackLands

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 5, 2019
Hi,

I'm a junior data scientist with a passion for entrepreneurship. I'm at a crucial stage in my career where I want to gain valuable experience while keeping my long-term goal of becoming an entrepreneur in mind. I would greatly appreciate your insights and suggestions on the ideal job position and companies to consider.

As a junior data scientist, I have a solid foundation in data analysis, machine learning, and programming. However, I'm looking for a position that not only allows me to develop my technical skills but also provides opportunities to learn about business strategy, project management, and leadership. I believe this combination will lay a strong foundation for my entrepreneurial journey in the future.

Therefore, I'm seeking your advice on job positions that offer a balance between data science and business acumen. Which roles or titles should I target to gain valuable experience in both domains? Are there specific industries or companies known for fostering entrepreneurial mindsets and providing opportunities for personal growth?

I'm open to any recommendations, insights, or personal experiences you can share. Your guidance will be immensely valuable in shaping my career path and ensuring that I make informed decisions along the way.

Thank you in advance for your support and contribution to this discussion!

Best regards!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jan 18, 2022
Hi Reddit community,

I'm a junior data scientist with a passion for entrepreneurship. I'm at a crucial stage in my career where I want to gain valuable experience while keeping my long-term goal of becoming an entrepreneur in mind. I would greatly appreciate your insights and suggestions on the ideal job position and companies to consider.

As a junior data scientist, I have a solid foundation in data analysis, machine learning, and programming. However, I'm looking for a position that not only allows me to develop my technical skills but also provides opportunities to learn about business strategy, project management, and leadership. I believe this combination will lay a strong foundation for my entrepreneurial journey in the future.

Therefore, I'm seeking your advice on job positions that offer a balance between data science and business acumen. Which roles or titles should I target to gain valuable experience in both domains? Are there specific industries or companies known for fostering entrepreneurial mindsets and providing opportunities for personal growth?

I'm open to any recommendations, insights, or personal experiences you can share. Your guidance will be immensely valuable in shaping my career path and ensuring that I make informed decisions along the way.

Best regards!
I'm guessing you copy/pasted, but I'll begin by stating this isn't Reddit. Furthermore, Reddit is 100% looked down upon around these parts (with the exception of using it for data), so I'd consider editing your original post. Personally speaking, at 34 years old I've never used Reddit and never will. To me, Reddit is a cesspool. F*ck Reddit.

There is no ideal company/position. Companies care about their bottom line, not your dreams, goals, and/or aspirations. Companies don't want you to be an entrepreneur because that means there will come a day where you are no longer their work monkey. They don't like that.

Leverage your current knowledge into a job to pay your bills and support you while you journey into entrepreneurship. Then hop on YouTube, Udemy, ChatGPT, books, Google, Ebooks, etc. and learn everything you want to learn for free. Finally, apply everything you've learned and make edits to what you're doing based on the data that's returned.

Why wait 5+ years to "start becoming an entrepreneur" when you can start now and just be an entrepreneur?

BlackLands

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 5, 2019
I'm guessing you copy/pasted, but I'll begin by stating this isn't Reddit. Furthermore, Reddit is 100% looked down upon around these parts (with the exception of using it for data), so I'd consider editing your original post. Personally speaking, at 34 years old I've never used Reddit and never will. To me, Reddit is a cesspool. F*ck Reddit.

There is no ideal company/position. Companies care about their bottom line, not your dreams, goals, and/or aspirations. Companies don't want you to be an entrepreneur because that means there will come a day where you are no longer their work monkey. They don't like that.

Leverage your current knowledge into a job to pay your bills and support you while you journey into entrepreneurship. Then hop on YouTube, Udemy, ChatGPT, books, Google, Ebooks, etc. and learn everything you want to learn for free. Finally, apply everything you've learned and make edits to what you're doing based on the data that's returned.

Why wait 5+ years to "start becoming an entrepreneur" when you can start now and just be an entrepreneur?
Hi, yes sorry but in order to save time I wrote one post and loaded it on several places in order to have as much feedback as possible. By the way, I edited the original post.

I know that companies don't care about me and my dream, that's why I'd like to know in your opinion what I should look in a job in order to learn skills that I can apply in the future for my own company. For examples some of them are: marketing, business process, etc.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jan 18, 2022
Hi, yes sorry but in order to save time I wrote one post and loaded it on several places in order to have as much feedback as possible. By the way, I edited the original post.

I know that companies don't care about me and my dream, that's why I'd like to know in your opinion what I should look in a job in order to learn skills that I can apply in the future for my own company. For examples some of them are: marketing, business process, etc.
Yes, and what I'm saying is you're connecting "learning a skill" with "having a job" when they are separate events. If you want to learn the skills needed to apply to your future company, watch YouTube videos to learn instead of hoping you learn said skills through a job.

You don't NEED a job to learn business. You don't NEED a job to learn marketing. You don't NEED a job to learn how to generate capital to launch your business. What you NEED is enough money to make sure you aren't living on the side of the road and that you have enough food/water. Everything else in life is optional.

If you want to learn business strategy, then start looking for courses on business strategy instead of looking for jobs that might teach you business strategy.

BlackLands

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 5, 2019
Yes, and what I'm saying is you're connecting "learning a skill" with "having a job" when they are separate events. If you want to learn the skills needed to apply to your future company, watch YouTube videos to learn instead of hoping you learn said skills through a job.

You don't NEED a job to learn business. You don't NEED a job to learn marketing. You don't NEED a job to learn how to generate capital to launch your business. What you NEED is enough money to make sure you aren't living on the side of the road and that you have enough food/water. Everything else in life is optional.

If you want to learn business strategy, then start looking for courses on business strategy instead of looking for jobs that might teach you business strategy.
I completely agree with you but it would not be better if I'm also able to find a job where I growth at least on tech side? I currently have a job but I feel stuck in it.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jan 18, 2022
I completely agree with you but it would not be better if I'm also able to find a job where I growth at least on tech side? I currently have a job but I feel stuck in it.
At my first web developer job, all I did was build WordPress websites for more money than I had ever made at that time. But I didn't care about WordPress websites, I cared about learning React and working with React. The moment my boss told me "I'm not paying you <money/yr> to learn React, I'm paying you to build my shitty WordPress websites" is the moment I realized I had to do extra work. So, I'd spend 8-10 hours/day building WordPress websites at work, and then another 5-6 learning React and creating React apps at home.

Of course it would be beneficial to find a company that will let you do what you're aiming to do. Winning the lottery would also be beneficial. The issue is the odds of finding a company that genuinely invests in you long-term and doesn't screw you over is akin to winning the lottery. It will take you years to find a company like you're describing. Or it will take you years before said company finally says, "Hey, yeah man, you can learn business development now." That's why you have to do the extra work.

The compromise to your current situation is one of the following:

A) Get a job in TECH and learn BUSINESS on the SIDE
B) Get a job in BUSINESS and expand upon your TECH knowledge on the SIDE
C) Get a job at a start-up (not recommended based on your current situation)

This means you'll have days where you're working 15+ hours. The whole idea here is you bust your a$$ for X amount of years (the general range is 1-5) to retire and live the rest of your life in pure freedom.

Stop waiting for a job to teach you what you want to know and simply go learn it.

Cheers.

BlackLands

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 5, 2019
At my first web developer job, all I did was build WordPress websites for more money than I had ever made at that time. But I didn't care about WordPress websites, I cared about learning React and working with React. The moment my boss told me "I'm not paying you <money/yr> to learn React, I'm paying you to build my shitty WordPress websites" is the moment I realized I had to do extra work. So, I'd spend 8-10 hours/day building WordPress websites at work, and then another 5-6 learning React and creating React apps at home.

Of course it would be beneficial to find a company that will let you do what you're aiming to do. Winning the lottery would also be beneficial. The issue is the odds of finding a company that genuinely invests in you long-term and doesn't screw you over is akin to winning the lottery. It will take you years to find a company like you're describing. Or it will take you years before said company finally says, "Hey, yeah man, you can learn business development now." That's why you have to do the extra work.

The compromise to your current situation is one of the following:

A) Get a job in TECH and learn BUSINESS on the SIDE
B) Get a job in BUSINESS and expand upon your TECH knowledge on the SIDE
C) Get a job at a start-up (not recommended based on your current situation)

This means you'll have days where you're working 15+ hours. The whole idea here is you bust your a$$ for X amount of years (the general range is 1-5) to retire and live the rest of your life in pure freedom.

Stop waiting for a job to teach you what you want to know and simply go learn it.

Cheers.
Hey man, thank you very much for this great response!

My plan would be to keep this job and in the meanwhile invest some times to find a better ones and acquiring new skills or working on my side projects!

Can I ask you why you don't recommend me to work in a startup?

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jan 18, 2022
Hey man, thank you very much for this great response!

My plan would be to keep this job and in the meanwhile invest some times to find a better ones and acquiring new skills or working on my side projects!

Can I ask you why you don't recommend me to work in a startup?
(Keep in mind all of this entirely depends on the infinite variables present, so use your best judgment)

I am always happy to assist fellow tech peeps, especially those looking to branch off into entrepreneurship.

In your shoes, I'd get a tech job that pays as much as possible, and then begin fleshing out my business knowledge. Reason being you'll maximize your incoming capital and it'll be exponentially more stable overall. Furthermore, in my professional opinion, "business knowledge" is easier to learn/develop than "tech skills." The downside to this is being in tech brings forth a lot of temptation to job (salary) hop. Don't do that. Stability to key here, specifically cash flow stability.

Startups are a different breed, and seldom is there room for growth/development, at least at the beginning stages. They tend to bring you on specifically for your 1 or 2 areas of expertise. If I had a startup and I recruited you for your tech skills, I would probably fire you the instant you came to me asking if you could learn marketing. Why would I keep you on when there are 10,000 marketers in my city alone (that have more experience), and I originally hired you to get my product/service off the ground?

Similarly, if you join a startup for your marketing/business skills, but you lack experience in either/both areas, then what exactly are you bringing to the table, assuming they already have tech people? Yes, learning on the fly at a startup does happen, but 99% of the time it happens because of unwanted variables.

"Shit, Kyle randomly dipped the startup. We launch in a week, he was our <insert role here> and we have neither the time nor money to hire/train a replacement."

<insert higher person here that shouldn't have to do this (usually CEO/founder)>: "Whelp, F*ck, guess I have 2 days to figure out how to do Kyle's job or we're all gonna be standing in the unemployment line."

Believe me when I say that is NOT a position you want to be in, nor is that a position you want the company you're working for to be in. Cliff notes: it usually ends in the shitter.

TL;DR: Working with the right startup can launch your career/entrepreneurial journey into the stratosphere overnight. Working with the wrong startup can potentially lead to you hating people, hating tech, and hating entrepreneurship. Tread lightly.

Cheers.

BlackLands

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 5, 2019
(Keep in mind all of this entirely depends on the infinite variables present, so use your best judgment)

I am always happy to assist fellow tech peeps, especially those looking to branch off into entrepreneurship.

In your shoes, I'd get a tech job that pays as much as possible, and then begin fleshing out my business knowledge. Reason being you'll maximize your incoming capital and it'll be exponentially more stable overall. Furthermore, in my professional opinion, "business knowledge" is easier to learn/develop than "tech skills." The downside to this is being in tech brings forth a lot of temptation to job (salary) hop. Don't do that. Stability to key here, specifically cash flow stability.

Startups are a different breed, and seldom is there room for growth/development, at least at the beginning stages. They tend to bring you on specifically for your 1 or 2 areas of expertise. If I had a startup and I recruited you for your tech skills, I would probably fire you the instant you came to me asking if you could learn marketing. Why would I keep you on when there are 10,000 marketers in my city alone (that have more experience), and I originally hired you to get my product/service off the ground?

Similarly, if you join a startup for your marketing/business skills, but you lack experience in either/both areas, then what exactly are you bringing to the table, assuming they already have tech people? Yes, learning on the fly at a startup does happen, but 99% of the time it happens because of unwanted variables.

"Shit, Kyle randomly dipped the startup. We launch in a week, he was our <insert role here> and we have neither the time nor money to hire/train a replacement."

<insert higher person here that shouldn't have to do this (usually CEO/founder)>: "Whelp, F*ck, guess I have 2 days to figure out how to do Kyle's job or we're all gonna be standing in the unemployment line."

Believe me when I say that is NOT a position you want to be in, nor is that a position you want the company you're working for to be in. Cliff notes: it usually ends in the shitter.

TL;DR: Working with the right startup can launch your career/entrepreneurial journey into the stratosphere overnight. Working with the wrong startup can potentially lead to you hating people, hating tech, and hating entrepreneurship. Tread lightly.

Cheers.
Thanks, I really appreciate your help! In which cases you'd prefer to change job instead of staying at the current one?
At the moment my money flow is stable and I earned more than the average in the city, the issue is that for the next 6 months I'll be doing the same things that make me feel stuck on tech growth. In the meantime I'm learning other things, like Flutter and Dart, but I can just invest the time I've after work.

I think that for now the best approach is to keep this job and keep learning and looking for another one (not startup) in parallel. What do you think?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi,

Best regards!
You'll get "business acumen" by selling your service, or product.

What can you help businesses with *now* without learning anything new?

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jan 18, 2022
Thanks, I really appreciate your help! In which cases you'd prefer to change job instead of staying at the current one?
At the moment my money flow is stable and I earned more than the average in the city, the issue is that for the next 6 months I'll be doing the same things that make me feel stuck on tech growth. In the meantime I'm learning other things, like Flutter and Dart, but I can just invest the time I've after work.

I think that for now the best approach is to keep this job and keep learning and looking for another one (not startup) in parallel. What do you think?
Realistically, unless you feel you're going to get fired soon, the company is going to close shop, you're earning enough on your own, and/or another company is offering you a ridiculous salary increase, there aren't many reasons to leave. I understand being bored, but boredom isn't a reason to leave something stable (in my opinion).

Again, you keep aiming for jobs when that isn't the end-goal. It's imperative you decide sooner vs later if entrepreneurship is something you want to pursue as there will always be some type of associated risk. Keep your job and start freelancing web development/web design. Keep your job and start making content aimed at people wanting to get into tech. Etc.

Regardless of what you do, if you never stop relying on a job, you will struggle to make real progress.

Cheers.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016
I'll save you a lot of time: the purpose of a job is to make the most money possible with the least amount of time input. There isn't going to be a job that also improves your entrepreneurial skills. The only additional insight a job will give you is potentially revealing a problem to solve within the market. Trying to "min/max" a job is like trying to pimp out a tricycle for speed -- enjoy the low risk, easy money you get while pedaling your tricycle until you can unleash your own Fastlane motorized vehicle.

I have a friend who works for Google as a software engineer that makes $320k/year. He has no entrepreneurial interest at all but he likely won't need it -- his consistently rising salary combined with the money he made from bitcoin in its infancy will likely give him a multi-million net worth in the somewhat near future. Now I'm not advocating for a job over the Fastlane, but the opportunity cost of driving in the Slowlane is lost mileage in the Fastlane. Keep this in mind when you decide how much effort to put into a job versus the alternatives.

Last edited:

BlackLands

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Jun 5, 2019
I thank all of you for the advice,
having read all of MJ's books of course I realize that salaried work is only a means to my end.

However I will continue to focus on my career as an entrepreneur trying to earn as much as I can, while working as little as possible, from my employee job.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.