The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've wasted over 2 years. 2020 won't be the 3rd - COPYWRITING

ElPatrico

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Nov 1, 2017
Poland
Good work. This was fun to read.
Being a hardgainer myself, i got alot of emails like these, and it was fun to read them aswell but they never convinced me to buy their product. And tbf i think its the worst marketing startegy one can use (in this case) , because skinny guys would be far more likely to purchase after they saw pictures of someone becoming swole after being skinny and testimonials.

In my case ; after trying to do everything to get big, i finally resorted to purchasing some whey protein and it worked wonders. People have doubts about whats in them, but it worked great for me. I had mass gainer shakes - 2 bananas, alot of peanut butter, dates, almonds, whey protein and around 500-750 ml of milk.

Worked wonders, i gained alot of weight in just 2 months.

So it was quite entertaining, thanks for feedback.

Yes, testimonials are really powerful, seeing skinny guy, just like you... who did it! It works wonders.

Wow, you've got one of the most caloric dense foods in there, and whey protein which single scoop can be around 300 calories, no wonders it worked great for you. I will definitely try this out.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ElPatrico

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Nov 1, 2017
Poland
I admit I have done very small amount of work today, I mean, researching count as a work, but I feel like I could have done so much more.. But I promised to myself, I am going to be honest, so I keep my word, not going to decept you with some fairy stories about 12 hour deep work when I did 15 minutes in reality.

Also I've read another part of Ca$hvertising today.

But nevertheless, I'm posting for the sake of consistency, and habit building, even small action is better than none. I'm looking forward to do more tomorrow

Cheers,
ElPatrico

daftypunk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Mar 29, 2020
Asia
So it was quite entertaining, thanks for feedback.

Yes, testimonials are really powerful, seeing skinny guy, just like you... who did it! It works wonders.

Wow, you've got one of the most caloric dense foods in there, and whey protein which single scoop can be around 300 calories, no wonders it worked great for you. I will definitely try this out.

Yep, Whey was what i needed.

And the reason i disregarded your email, was because it's too common nowadays- the tips you mentioned were entertaining, but everyone knows about them. Write something unique.

Good luck.

ElPatrico

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Nov 1, 2017
Poland

Today the big day. Finally worked up some courage to apply for a job on UpWork. Submitted a quick proposal. Actually nothing special, just 5$ gig, but it would quite a good way to get the ball rolling, and also get some good review.

Also started doing some research for the client I was offering my free help before. I am going to do a copy for his website, basically from scratch offering his services.

Yep, Whey was what i needed.

And the reason i disregarded your email, was because it's too common nowadays- the tips you mentioned were entertaining, but everyone knows about them. Write something unique.

Good luck.

Unique, got it ;> Thanks for the honest feedback!

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
Just read your portfolio piece. I would recommend hiring a fluent English editor to sort out some grammar mistakes that are quite noticeable throughout your copy. You have the structure and layout sorted well, it's just the grammar could do with some adjusting. I'm no saint however and I sometimes still have issues with knowing where to put commas here and there. All a learning process.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Dzien dobry from Canada,

Imo I think you should quit the copy stuff and focus on a real business, this is just action faking and time wasting. Yes even though you are putting in work, it's in the wrong direction & misplaced effort into the wrong vehicle.

What real value can you provide to the world with a product or service based business? Wasting time to make $5 or $10 is, well a waste of time and you can make more money working at McDonald's.

Even affiliate marketing if you wanted to do a time wasting venture would have a higher pay off, marketing other peoples products that are already successful and collecting commissions on product sales would be of greater benefit.

Please, for yourself focus on a real business. Not getting dirty with fiver and upwork trolls, otherwise 2020 will be the 3rd year of time wasting for you.

ElPatrico

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Nov 1, 2017
Poland
Just read your portfolio piece. I would recommend hiring a fluent English editor to sort out some grammar mistakes that are quite noticeable throughout your copy. You have the structure and layout sorted well, it's just the grammar could do with some adjusting. I'm no saint however and I sometimes still have issues with knowing where to put commas here and there. All a learning process.

Thank you for that honest review. I actually suck at grammar so bad. Of course if I would want it bad enough I would simply hire an editor, or just learned the grammar myself. but...

Dzien dobry from Canada,

Imo I think you should quit the copy stuff and focus on a real business, this is just action faking and time wasting. Yes even though you are putting in work, it's in the wrong direction & misplaced effort into the wrong vehicle.

What real value can you provide to the world with a product or service based business? Wasting time to make $5 or $10 is, well a waste of time and you can make more money working at McDonald's.

Even affiliate marketing if you wanted to do a time wasting venture would have a higher pay off, marketing other peoples products that are already successful and collecting commissions on product sales would be of greater benefit.

Please, for yourself focus on a real business. Not getting dirty with fiver and upwork trolls, otherwise 2020 will be the 3rd year of time wasting for you.

Cześć!

Okay. I've seen a guy posting in here something similar, but I was like F*ck it, not going to give in, keep going.

But your comment combined with a comment of a @Visionary96 hit me.

Like I feel kinda stupid for just quitting, but I think it may be the best thing to do.

I can't figure everything out by myself.
Choosing copy as a non-native. Yes, it's doable, it would take a significant amount of work, but people did it before, so could I.

But if it's worth it? Is it my passion, something I 100% love to do?
Not really. I just wanted to try something, learn some useful skill to make money, etc.

I did some quick research about the @Rivoli also on you, I have seen you refer Alex Becker too, so even more relatable to me.

It's like we have a lot of blindspots.

And I realized I have a choice. Either keep going with my decision and learn it hard way by myself, that after 1 year it wasn't really worth it...
Or maybe admit that I'm wrong and change a course of action.
Listen to someone who has done something far more significant than me, or being blinded by my ego.

I think you guys are right. Probably copy is a waste of time for me.

I don't know what the hell I am going to do now though. I will research this forum for sure, probably re-read TMF . One thing I am really afraid of is coming back to "normal life" and wasting it away by watching series, reading books all day, and not taking action, waiting for some magical idea to come to me.

It took 3 comments, over a week to wake me up.

Thank you for that all of you.

I will bounce back with something greater than that.

P.S.

I promised some guy to help him with the website. I will at least give it a try. One last gig, not for the sake of my skills, but more for the sake of keeping my own word, and building trust and self-reliance.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Thank you for that honest review. I actually suck at grammar so bad. Of course if I would want it bad enough I would simply hire an editor, or just learned the grammar myself. but...

Cześć!

Okay. I've seen a guy posting in here something similar, but I was like F*ck it, not going to give in, keep going.

But your comment combined with a comment of a @Visionary96 hit me.

Like I feel kinda stupid for just quitting, but I think it may be the best thing to do.

I can't figure everything out by myself.
Choosing copy as a non-native. Yes, it's doable, it would take a significant amount of work, but people did it before, so could I.

But if it's worth it? Is it my passion, something I 100% love to do?
Not really. I just wanted to try something, learn some useful skill to make money, etc.

I did some quick research about the @Rivoli also on you, I have seen you refer Alex Becker too, so even more relatable to me.

It's like we have a lot of blindspots.

And I realized I have a choice. Either keep going with my decision and learn it hard way by myself, that after 1 year it wasn't really worth it...
Or maybe admit that I'm wrong and change a course of action.
Listen to someone who has done something far more significant than me, or being blinded by my ego.

I don't know what the hell I am going to do now though. I will research this forum for sure, probably re-read TMF . One thing I am really afraid of is coming back to "normal life" and wasting it away by watching series, reading books all day, and not taking action, waiting for some magical idea to come to me.

It took 3 comments, over a week to wake me up.

Thank you for that all of you.

I will bounce back with something greater than that.

P.S.

I promised some guy to help him with the website. I will at least give it a try. One last gig, not for the sake of my skills, but more for the sake of keeping my own word, and building trust and self-reliance.

Don't feel bad about ''quitting'' that's nonsense, just focus on what the real goal is.

There is tons of things you can do, what type of business do you have some interest or knowledge in? You don't need to reinvent the wheel here.

Can you take an existing business and improve some aspects of it? That's how its generally done, like Myspace! Facebook came in and made a better product and look at them now, same with phones.. Remember the first flip phones from Nokia? Now we have Iphones with built in GPS systems, cameras and so on.

A similiar approach can be taken with a product or service based business, there's lots of stuff out in the world that can be improved, you just need to be the one to do it!

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
Look at the bigger picture. With this virus going on, look at the things that people are going to start needing. E-Commerce is going to shoot up rapidly, so maybe start an online store? I've been looking at dropshipping lately and I will be setting up my shopify store very soon with a product that is going to be in demand in the coming months. I know it gets a bit of a bad rap on the forum, but it teaches you the fundamentals of selling and nurturing a business (that could be potentially very successful). Web-design I'm seriously looking into also. These sorts of things will be easier than trying to write copy when English is not your first language.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
I don't know whether you should continue or not and I don't believe anyone can be a Copywriter but here is a question for you.

Why do you think it has to be done in English?

I read your piece and did not think much of it to be honest, but I also note that you are Polish.

If I wrote something in Polish it would not be very good at all. Even if it was grammatically correct you would instinctively know I was not Polish.

Why don't you either:-

A) Try and sell something like an old bike, car, old table and chairs you may have etc on ebay, Amazon, local newspaper Ad, etc in Poland? Play around, see what happens.

or B) Grab a local paper and look at the Adverts of local businesses which are usually rubbish. See if you can rewrite one and offer it to the business to split run with their existing Ad. ie If your local paper runs 10,000 copies a week they can print the two Ads so that 5,000 copies have one Ad and 5,000 have the second Ad. (Just in case you were unaware of this)

The gist is to start simple and in your native language to a native audience.

Give yourself 3 months.

If you get nowhere then you wont get anywhere in hyper competitive markets like Fitness to Americans so move on.

Maybe to something like selling simple 3 page websites. Again to local businesses in Poland.

Dan

PS: Your location says Poland so I presume that is correct.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Don't feel bad about ''quitting'' that's nonsense, just focus on what the real goal is.

There is tons of things you can do, what type of business do you have some interest or knowledge in? You don't need to reinvent the wheel here.

Can you take an existing business and improve some aspects of it? That's how its generally done, like Myspace! Facebook came in and made a better product and look at them now, same with phones.. Remember the first flip phones from Nokia? Now we have Iphones with built in GPS systems, cameras and so on.

A similiar approach can be taken with a product or service based business, there's lots of stuff out in the world that can be improved, you just need to be the one to do it!
This advice might be valid. But the point still remains. How can you start a business without skills? OP seems to have the problem of not having skills, so he's just trying to learn something, instead of wandering around aimlessly.

Or are you suggesting to, 1. set a project goal and only then 2. learn the skills necessary to make the project real? I'm more or less in the same situation as OP and I started web design as a way to get started into something. And web development skills can be transferred pretty much in any business so I doubt it's a waste of time.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
This advice might be valid. But the point still remains. How can you start a business without skills? OP seems to have the problem of not having skills, so he's just trying to learn something, instead of wandering around aimlessly.

Or are you suggesting to, 1. set a project goal and only then 2. learn the skills necessary to make the project real? I'm more or less in the same situation as OP and I started web design as a way to get started into something. And web development skills can be transferred pretty much in any business so I doubt it's a waste of time.

Skills DO NOT matter at all, noone has business skills starting off, everyone is as clueless and ignorant as the next person, it's about constantly learning and adjusting on the fly.

Did you know Michael Jordan was cut from his basketball team in high school? He totally sucked at the game, but put in the work to become great and you know the rest of the story.

The same concept applies to business. Sure set a goal and learn what you need on the go, great idea.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Skills DO NOT matter at all, noone has business skills starting off, everyone is as clueless and ignorant as the next person, it's about constantly learning and adjusting on the fly.

Did you know Michael Jordan was cut from his basketball team in high school? He totally sucked at the game, but put in the work to become great and you know the rest of the story.

The same concept applies to business. Sure set a goal and learn what you need on the go, great idea.
I see what you mean. But what if you are just a kid (I'm 20) and have no capital? The idea here is to get started into something to earn just enough money to start a real business.

But you have to start somewhere, and from my experience, you can't start a potential multi-million business unless you have either capital or exceptional skills in a certain field.

In fact, I had to quit a project I started with a friend and we (well, he) quit because he didn't seem to have the right mindset to keep going.

He was the actual web developer (I knew almost nothing about coding back then) so as soon as he quit I found myself lost, because I lacked the skills needed to get the project going. And I couldn't even outsource it, because it would cost at least 4-5k to get something decent.

After that episode I was tired of not being in control of my business, so I said "F*ck it" and began learning to code.

Not just for business but to have some monetizable skills that could get me just enough money while learning something useful. Yes, you can go to McDonald's and get $800 a month, but what are you going to learn applicable to your future businesses?

Your approach might work if you already have some cash saved in and/or have a stable income from a job, but I have nothing of all of that. You can say "You don't need money to get started" but the actual costs were around $4-8k just to get that previously mentioned business started.
So unless you start a small business which requires no huge costs, I have no idea how it could work. But how can you start the next Facebook with no capital or decent skills?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I see what you mean. But what if you are just a kid (I'm 20) and have no capital? The idea here is to get started into something to earn just enough money to start a real business.

But you have to start somewhere, and from my experience, you can't start a potential multi-million business unless you have either capital or exceptional skills in a certain field.

In fact, I had to quit a project I started with a friend and we (well, he) quit because he didn't seem to have the right mindset to keep going.

He was the actual web developer (I knew almost nothing about coding back then) so as soon as he quit I found myself lost, because I lacked the skills needed to get the project going. And I couldn't even outsource it, because it would cost at least 4-5k to get something decent.

After that episode I was tired of not being in control of my business, so I said "F*ck it" and began learning to code.

Not just for business but to have some monetizable skills that could get me just enough money while learning something useful. Yes, you can go to McDonald's and get $800 a month, but what are you going to learn applicable to your future businesses?

Your approach might work if you already have some cash saved in and/or have a stable income from a job, but I have nothing of all of that. You can say "You don't need money to get started" but the actual costs were around $4-8k just to get that previously mentioned business started.
So unless you start a small business which requires no huge costs, I have no idea how it could work. But how can you start the next Facebook with no capital or decent skills?

Simple, learn the skills required (in your case developing a website)

What is wrong with having a side job and saving up cash from that?

ElPatrico

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Nov 1, 2017
Poland

Thanks man.

The thing is, I don't really have deep competence in one topic. I am just quite a bit better in few things than an average person, but there's no area where I have any exceptional knowledge..

I always liked flipping.

Wow, it seems so easy. Just find something that needs a little bit of improvement, and that's it. I feel my head has gone blank, and I have no idea.

But I remember a few years ago, I stumbled across the idea of James Altucher of writing lists of 10 things every single evening, for example things that need some improvement. I remember doing that for some time, and I was really amazed, how many ideas I had. Maybe it's time to come back to it.

Look at the bigger picture. With this virus going on, look at the things that people are going to start needing. E-Commerce is going to shoot up rapidly, so maybe start an online store? I've been looking at dropshipping lately and I will be setting up my shopify store very soon with a product that is going to be in demand in the coming months. I know it gets a bit of a bad rap on the forum, but it teaches you the fundamentals of selling and nurturing a business (that could be potentially very successful). Web-design I'm seriously looking into also. These sorts of things will be easier than trying to write copy when English is not your first language.

I will look into that too. Like I said I always liked the idea of selling, even when I was playing some internet games as a kid, I always loved to buy cheaper, sell for more, this kind of stuff more than actual game itself, such a thrill. Recently I started to selling my old books in local market, but corona stopped it all.

And as immoral as I am, I would feel quite bad, upping up the prices of products that people really need, but that's personal, I'm sure there are other ways, that doesn't involve dealing with moral conflict.

About web-development I think I will give it a try. It doesn't require any capital at start, just a lot of time to learn, so perfect fit for me.

I don't know whether you should continue or not and I don't believe anyone can be a Copywriter but here is a question for you.

Why do you think it has to be done in English?

I read your piece and did not think much of it to be honest, but I also note that you are Polish.

If I wrote something in Polish it would not be very good at all. Even if it was grammatically correct you would instinctively know I was not Polish.

Why don't you either:-

A) Try and sell something like an old bike, car, old table and chairs you may have etc on ebay, Amazon, local newspaper Ad, etc in Poland? Play around, see what happens.

or B) Grab a local paper and look at the Adverts of local businesses which are usually rubbish. See if you can rewrite one and offer it to the business to split run with their existing Ad. ie If your local paper runs 10,000 copies a week they can print the two Ads so that 5,000 copies have one Ad and 5,000 have the second Ad. (Just in case you were unaware of this)

The gist is to start simple and in your native language to a native audience.

Give yourself 3 months.

If you get nowhere then you wont get anywhere in hyper competitive markets like Fitness to Americans so move on.

Maybe to something like selling simple 3 page websites. Again to local businesses in Poland.

Dan

PS: Your location says Poland so I presume that is correct.

Hey Dan, yes you're right about the location.
Sure, definitely got your point, it is not only about grammatical stuff, but more so about the fact, like you said this intuition, people who live there know the culture, how people think in their area, it's hard to learn that

about;

A) I really like this, and I will involve in this more in the future, selling things is something that I'm really passionate about, even though it stills feel really uncomfortable for me to negotiate, ask for a price I want, but it will come with practice for sure.

B) Thank you for the idea, I never thought of doing that. I will give it a shot on the premise that if they see it's working, they will be happy to work with me.

Yes, it's like you're reading my mind. That was my goal, I spent so much time, waiting for some idea to magically come to me, so I thought, I could learn something useful instead, something that not only will help with the capital for future business, but also what can actually help in the long run.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Thanks man.

The thing is, I don't really have deep competence in one topic. I am just quite a bit better in few things than an average person, but there's no area where I have any exceptional knowledge..

I always liked flipping.

Wow, it seems so easy. Just find something that needs a little bit of improvement, and that's it. I feel my head has gone blank, and I have no idea.

But I remember a few years ago, I stumbled across the idea of James Altucher of writing lists of 10 things every single evening, for example things that need some improvement. I remember doing that for some time, and I was really amazed, how many ideas I had. Maybe it's time to come back to it.

I will look into that too. Like I said I always liked the idea of selling, even when I was playing some internet games as a kid, I always loved to buy cheaper, sell for more, this kind of stuff more than actual game itself, such a thrill. Recently I started to selling my old books in local market, but corona stopped it all.

And as immoral as I am, I would feel quite bad, upping up the prices of products that people really need, but that's personal, I'm sure there are other ways, that doesn't involve dealing with moral conflict.

About web-development I think I will give it a try. It doesn't require any capital at start, just a lot of time to learn, so perfect fit for me.

Hey Dan, yes you're right about the location.
Sure, definitely got your point, it is not only about grammatical stuff, but more so about the fact, like you said this intuition, people who live there know the culture, how people think in their area, it's hard to learn that

about;

A) I really like this, and I will involve in this more in the future, selling things is something that I'm really passionate about, even though it stills feel really uncomfortable for me to negotiate, ask for a price I want, but it will come with practice for sure.

B) Thank you for the idea, I never thought of doing that. I will give it a shot on the premise that if they see it's working, they will be happy to work with me.

Yes, it's like you're reading my mind. That was my goal, I spent so much time, waiting for some idea to magically come to me, so I thought, I could learn something useful instead, something that not only will help with the capital for future business, but also what can actually help in the long run.

If you like selling products why not come up with your own product and sell that? You can scale it and potentially have a real fastlane business

ElPatrico

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Nov 1, 2017
Poland
If you like selling products why not come up with your own product and sell that? You can scale it and potentially have a real fastlane business

I like that, I would like to do that more than doing affiliate marketing. Having a control over it.
Just need to come up with a product, thanks for help.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I like that, I would like to do that more than doing affiliate marketing. Having a control over it.
Just need to come up with a product, thanks for help.

I would suggest to start with affiliate marketing, you'll learn how difficult it is to sell a product, and you can make money selling someone else's product. Give that a try for now, and in the meantime come up with your own idea.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
@ElPatrico

You need to pick something and stick with it bud. Otherwise another 2 years will be wasted.

If you pick copywriting, you should be applying to 50 jobs per day, or whatever the maximum amount of jobs you can apply for would be. Then go apply for 50 more on another platform. Then go hit Craigslist and see what's out there. Then go on Linked In and message as many people as it allows you to. Then go post in every Facebook group you're allowed in that you're looking for copywriting work.

I just hired a copy writer off UpWork today.

It's a numbers game. If you apply to 1 job, you have 1 chance. You can just take a blanket success rate of like 1% for basically anything. This means you need to apply to 100 jobs, then you'll get one. Do you see what I'm saying here?

Either you're all in or you're gonna waste more years. The choice is yours.

ElPatrico

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Nov 1, 2017
Poland
I would suggest to start with affiliate marketing, you'll learn how difficult it is to sell a product, and you can make money selling someone else's product. Give that a try for now, and in the meantime come up with your own idea.

It's like instead of wandering around aimlessly trying to "come up with an idea" it's better to do this so I can learn about marketing, so this will help me in the future, when I will start my own. Thank you.

@ElPatrico

You need to pick something and stick with it bud. Otherwise another 2 years will be wasted.

If you pick copywriting, you should be applying to 50 jobs per day, or whatever the maximum amount of jobs you can apply for would be. Then go apply for 50 more on another platform. Then go hit Craigslist and see what's out there. Then go on Linked In and message as many people as it allows you to. Then go post in every Facebook group you're allowed in that you're looking for copywriting work.

I just hired a copy writer off UpWork today.

It's a numbers game. If you apply to 1 job, you have 1 chance. You can just take a blanket success rate of like 1% for basically anything. This means you need to apply to 100 jobs, then you'll get one. Do you see what I'm saying here?

Either you're all in or you're gonna waste more years. The choice is yours.

Hi GravyBoat

So many perspectives, conflicting ideas. And actually it looks like either one of them can be valid. I guess I will have to make the final choice myself.

I really like this insight about numbers game. I already know that it is true when it comes to people. Some will hate you, some will like you, but out of 100, there will be this 1 who will absolutely love you.
It's funny how it works in business as well, thank you.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
It's like instead of wandering around aimlessly trying to "come up with an idea" it's better to do this so I can learn about marketing, so this will help me in the future, when I will start my own. Thank you.

Hi GravyBoat

So many perspectives, conflicting ideas. And actually it looks like either one of them can be valid. I guess I will have to make the final choice myself.

I really like this insight about numbers game. I already know that it is true when it comes to people. Some will hate you, some will like you, but out of 100, there will be this 1 who will absolutely love you.

Ignore copyrighting advice, noone is making real money doing this.

Start off with marketing someone else's product and learn, and while you are doing that come up with your own product. It's probabaly the ''easiest'' way to get your feet wet, and some people may even assist you along the way (who in their right mind wouldn't want to make more money?)

Most of the successful people on the forum and in the entrepreneurial world have their own product. It's not even an argument, Microsoft, Apple, Lululemon, Nike, any food product, drink product, coffee, Coca Cola, Redbull, Samsung, I could go on and on forever.

In my room alone I have products that have generated millions or billions of dollars in sales, starting off with, my laptop (HP), Coca Cola (dont judge me :D) Redbull, all of my clothing probably, the Logitech mouse I'm using, the toy Lamborghini's on my desk, Microsoft merchandise, headphones, Cliff bars, the pizza boxes sitting on the floor, my mattress, Cannon printer and last but not least, the dirty sofa in my room.

Make a company like the above, suddenly making millions isn't as complicated as it's made out to be.

JasonF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 14, 2014

I don't know what the hell I am going to do now though. I will research this forum for sure, probably re-read TMF. One thing I am really afraid of is coming back to "normal life" and wasting it away by watching series, reading books all day, and not taking action, waiting for some magical idea to come to me.

Copy isn't a waste of time. Money aside, it is a tool that has helped prevent you from doing the same substandard stuff you've been doing for the past 2 years. It seems you have already used it take a lot more real action(provide service and help people) and you have started building confidence.

ElPatrico

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Nov 1, 2017
Poland
Ignore copyrighting advice, noone is making real money doing this.

Start off with marketing someone else's product and learn, and while you are doing that come up with your own product. It's probabaly the ''easiest'' way to get your feet wet, and some people may even assist you along the way (who in their right mind wouldn't want to make more money?)

Most of the successful people on the forum and in the entrepreneurial world have their own product. It's not even an argument, Microsoft, Apple, Lululemon, Nike, any food product, drink product, coffee, Coca Cola, Redbull, Samsung, I could go on and on forever.

In my room alone I have products that have generated millions or billions of dollars in sales, starting off with, my laptop (HP), Coca Cola (dont judge me :D) Redbull, all of my clothing probably, the Logitech mouse I'm using, the toy Lamborghini's on my desk, Microsoft merchandise, headphones, Cliff bars, the pizza boxes sitting on the floor, my mattress, Cannon printer and last but not least, the dirty sofa in my room.

Make a company like the above, suddenly making millions isn't as complicated as it's made out to be.

Now as you put it that way it makes total sense. And funny thing is, most of those things aren't really ... hmm.. exceptional. One simple tweak to made it different than the competition and that's it.

Like is it HP laptop really that different from a Dell, or other company. Is it really? The same with headphones, when I go to shop I see hundreds of different models, and they mostly look the same, just a little bit different. And funny enough all those products have made enormous amounts of money. Crazy to think about it.

Copy isn't a waste of time. Money aside, it is a tool that has helped prevent you from doing the same substandard stuff you've been doing for the past 2 years. It seems you have already used it take a lot more real action(provide service and help people) and you have started building confidence.

Maybe I put it in the wrong way. For me writing copy in English which isn't my native language possibly is a waste of time.

And thank you for that point of view, I haven't looked at it that way. It got the ball rolling, got me back on this forum, into this entrepreneurial headspace, trying to look for solutions. So for sure, it wasn't a waste of time, and maybe the best thing that has happened recently.

Thanks for putting it into perspective. I am usually so quick to judge, and go hard on myself without looking at the positive sides of a "failure".

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
So, what have you done?

ElPatrico

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Nov 1, 2017
Poland
So, what have you done?

I thought about affiliate, but I didn't want to show my face all over youtube.

I took another suggestion and started to learn how to code, to web design. Since I live in a relatively small city I noticed there are a lot of businesses that have really bad websites, or no website at all, and I could easily help them get more customers by providing the page.

Plus I will have to reach out to those businesses, therefore it's a great opportunity to learn sales.
And in the meantime I will be reading forum, until an idea comes in.

Visionary96

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Oct 23, 2018
Torquay, United Kingdom
Don't give up completely on the copywriting though. Keep learning and reading because understanding the fundamentals of copy will help you in any business or industry. I mean, I am a shit writer to be honest haha, but I feel I can write quite good direct response style when I put my mind to it, and this is going to help massively for when I have my online store in motion.

That's really awesome to hear about your plan with the web design. I too am just grasping coding basics and can't wait to put that into gear also.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego

You will start to see this more and more the further you get. The similarities in different aspects of life are uncanny. Nothing is a coincidence

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Business is all about the numbers game, I did a lot of door knocking with products and lawn care services, tons of rejection, if you do the math though, and do 100 doors with a 5% conversion rate, that's 5 customers right there!

A simple lawn job that I'd do would be around $20, times that by 5 and that's a daily wage at a job

ElPatrico

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Nov 1, 2017
Poland
Don't give up completely on the copywriting though. Keep learning and reading because understanding the fundamentals of copy will help you in any business or industry. I mean, I am a shit writer to be honest haha, but I feel I can write quite a good direct response style when I put my mind to it, and this is going to help massively for when I have my online store in motion.

That's really awesome to hear about your plan with the web design. I too am just grasping coding basics and can't wait to put that into gear also.

You're totally right. I figured, that knowing copy, even basics of it, will put me ahead of like 80% of other web designers, even though they may be more experienced than me, so that definitely helps. I remember Lex's thread talking about writing clients with YOU focused proposals. He said most copywriters make the mistake of writing ME focused proposals.

And this was about copywriters... the people who should know better, let alone web designers.

Like you said, it can help with a store, or basically anything online. So I will keep learning, maybe just a little bit less than previously.

Happy to hear you're going on the same journey. I am wondering if you used codeacademy to learn the basics.
Honestly, I started with that, but it felt overwhelming and not clear to me, so now I am going through a course on Youtube, which I find much more clear.

Where in Poland do you live? I am in Gdansk/Sopot if you are ever around.

I live in the south. Almost on the Slovakia border. 2 hours from Cracov.
I always wanted to visit Gdansk, Trojmiescie, so I will hit you up, when I will be around.

You will start to see this more and more the further you get. The similarities in different aspects of life are uncanny. Nothing is a coincidence

I really believe what you are saying is true. In the past I was looking at the different aspects of my life as a chain of disconnected events. Recently I had an epiphany, about social skills overlapping business, business overlapping education, and so on. I am still at the early stage of that, but I am starting to look more collectively, to see the bigger picture.

I am sure you experienced this weird phenomenon, when some experience from the past, which seemed completely irrelevant turned out to be the key, a few years later.

Business is all about the numbers game, I did a lot of door knocking with products and lawn care services, tons of rejection, if you do the math though, and do 100 doors with a 5% conversion rate, that's 5 customers right there!

A simple lawn job that I'd do would be around $20, times that by 5 and that's a daily wage at a job

Numbers game... I am going to keep repeating those two words to myself whenever I face a rejection.
So even though 95% of people "rejected" you, you still made a profit.

Rejection in business seems scary to me, even when cold-calling.
But I suppose you got used to that, after some time so it doesn't affect you that much, and just push it, it, right?

----

Okay guys, I am at the beginning stage now. I am going to come back soon when I will get the skillset to approach my first clients, and start to inform you all again.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.