The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lurker for 2 years. Switching the strategy.

Artiom O

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 10, 2021
Hey, I'm Artiom.

I've been a lurker here for some time. Through the past 2 years, I've been consuming a lot of posts, but still haven't produced anything reasonable. After so much action-faking, I realized that now is the best time to commit with a progress thread. My old strategy didn't work, so it's time to change it.

The Past
Most of my life, we were quite poor. My money making journey is one that started about 4 years ago at 14. It was a time when I started to feel some responsibility towards our finances. I really wanted to help my parents. Got tired of hearing "we / I don't have money". Back then, I often tried different things like micro-jobs, online surveys, freelancing, making YouTube content and more.

About 2 years ago, it got me so hard. I tried YouTube, freelancing, some other things too, and it got me down again. I started to dream a lot about a rich lifestyle. Where I was a millionaire and I didn't have to care about any other problems anymore. After that fail, I had no idea of what to do next, so I just started to search for a solution online (Reddit, Youtube, Twitter). Yes, tons of gurus, but that exaggerated and unrealistic promises never caught me.

After a lot of searching, I discovered MJ's books through James Jani's video about "The Untold Truth About Money". That concept felt so cool for me. It was like the best solution I could have possibly gotten. It got me thinking.

So after reading the books and getting familiar with everything in the Fastlane, Unscripted , entrepreneurship part; I got back to work.

My goal was to first learn a skill that could at least assure me with a source of income. I have chosen web development. The only reason is that I already had a lot of experience in programming. Web development was a pretty flexible skill too, like in freelancing.

So my goal was to:
1) Learn web development
2) Work as a freelancer and make a basic living from it + some capital for what business was about to come

In short, I spent about 6 months learning that skill + one mega project that took an extra 5 months (learned a lot too). The problem is that I couldn't find any work.

I know I action-faked a LOT. Learning that skill first was quite a mistake. Then, I kept getting busy with the "building stuff". Learning, strategizing and so on. However, I had my fair share of action. But again, nothing.

Here's what I did (with real action) after learning that skill:
- Upwork (soo difficult, but got a client. Later realized that you need to confirm you're over 18 with your id)
- Cold emailing / calling (that didn't go well)
- Instagram marketing (only some leads but no clients)
- TikTok marketing
- Self-promotion (some leads again, nothing else)

Looking at it now, I wasn't really solving any problem. I was focused on me and only about how I can sell, market and make money.

I got so frustrated. It felt like a real action and a solid process. But because of some "external forces" (My friends started progressing by making actual money). I felt like an idiot. Spent literally all my time and effort into learning that skill while also learning a lot about entrepreneurship. And after all of this, I still couldn't even make $1.

You probably understand how I felt.

To avoid any more action-faking, got myself a journal where I controlled and specified everything I was doing in a day. It was based on the 3AAA and other principles about progress. Not so complicated. I just used a system where I was putting a Problems List for the day. That problems list specified every problem I had on this journey that had to be adjusted.

After a short time of not knowing what to do, I decided to go back to the basics. Rewatched the video (Which btw is the best and simplest explanation for the Fastlane / making money philosophy. He explained it better than MJ). I started following Andy's posts.

I knew I had to solve problems. I knew I had to help people and change lives. You know, all of these things.

So, based on one of Andy's posts "Who have you helped ?", I got started into helping people on Quora. Got straight to work, and.....................it failed. I responded to 140 questions in total. Literally no one responded back.

Got back to the post, rewatched the video again and again. I had to find a solution. Grasped some new things and kind of understood the problem. I was responding to mostly bots (Quora question generators), not humans.

There are few people on the platform who put reasonable questions about how to fix their problems. And most of them are not in "Motion" (are not taking action). So it's hard to find someone who is, at first, hungry enough to accept a more detailed conversation about how I can help him. It's a question -> response based platform only.

After that, I had fallen again into doing nothing. I got so tired about things not working. The worst part was reminding myself of how much time has passed. How many things I had tried and got faded. About how many times I action-faked with the strategizing and building stuff.

A year ago I was at full speed learning things so fast, both my primary skill and entrepreneurship. Now I feel like I had stepped into the "Real World".

Current Situation
And this is where I'm currently now.

I have to start helping people. I got it. Feed someone and you'll never go hungry. I supposedly action-faked again by just absorbing this concept non-stop. I now know it like the back of my hand.

Just help someone, and everything falls into place. Don't think about what skills I have gotten. Think about them.

Through most of this trip doing "real" stuff, I failed just because I wasn't helping anyone or solving any problem. The last experience with Quora got me a bit confused. I thought I was finally doing the right stuff, even if it felt useless and long-term oriented. But it seems like there were some other things I haven't paid attention to. However, I still consider it as a potential solution.

What's Next
To keep myself committed, I created this intro and I will also make a progress thread. I also hope that your advice guys, will make my life much easier with this. I currently came with another strategy, even more inclined towards helping people and solving problems. Now I'll make sure I'm talking to real humans, and truly helping someone.

We'll see how it goes. Better to spend a lot of time solving problems for free and gaining reputation + experience, instead of thinking about the past and how much I failed.

"Who have you helped ?" and "What problems are you solving ?" are my current quotes.

I want to thank you all for reading this.
Yes, I know it was boring and a me-focused. There are a lot of intro posts in here who sound all similar. "I'm poor, blah blah, I want to make money. I failed. Now I want to start over. blah blah". But this was just my little introduction in here so I can finally look more like part of the family instead of a foreigner :)

Thank you once again. (Sorry for the grammar mistakes too. I'm getting better at it too, especially by helping people)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ela

Freelance Web Developer and SEO Expert
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Mar 21, 2022
India
Good post. I understand your frustration and pain. All I could say, to keep trying and help people.

I am a freelancer, and never had anyone to give me hand, but I learned all on my own. A lot of Mistakes, stress, frustration, and experiences, But never let down, because i trusted myself a lot and know i ll make it someday. Thats it.

So, start with Creating your own portfolio, sharing it with your network, sharing it on social media,...etc. Keep doing it.

Study a few people in your niche, and learn how they moved from bottom to top. It's one of the things that helped me to do what I have to do when I didn't know. So, Do find the inspiration and copy it for a while, then create your own path.

Artiom O

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 10, 2021
Good post. I understand your frustration and pain. All I could say, to keep trying and help people.

I am a freelancer, and never had anyone to give me hand, but I learned all on my own. A lot of Mistakes, stress, frustration, and experiences, But never let down, because i trusted myself a lot and know i ll make it someday. Thats it.

So, start with Creating your own portfolio, sharing it with your network, sharing it on social media,...etc. Keep doing it.

Study a few people in your niche, and learn how they moved from bottom to top. It's one of the things that helped me to do what I have to do when I didn't know. So, Do find the inspiration and copy it for a while, then create your own path.
Yeah, thank you. I do have a portfolio that I've built while learning. But people just don't care. I know I haven't done anything valueable for anyone. Nor have I proved my worth (yes yes prove don't say).

I do find it difficult to copy people from my niche.

Ok, thank you a lot for responding. It do feel happier when I share my journey with someone, instead of keeping it private.

pancake_summer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 14, 2022
Looking at it now, I wasn't really solving any problem. I was focused on me and only about how I can sell, market and make money.
Hey. I found your intro inspiring, I should've written one like yours. Mine is focused on a single episode, while yours is a bird-eye view.

And thanks for reminding me that focusing on selling and money is a wrong approach.

To avoid any more action-faking, got myself a journal where I controlled and specified everything I was doing in a day. It was based on the 3AAA and other principles about progress. Not so complicated. I just used a system where I was putting a Problems List for the day. That problems list specified every problem I had on this journey that had to be adjusted.
That's so useful, I'll add that to my evening journaling. Something like "What painful problems I faced today?".

So, based on one of Andy's posts "Who have you helped ?", I got started into helping people on Quora. Got straight to work, and.....................it failed. I responded to 140 questions in total. Literally no one responded back.

Got back to the post, rewatched the video again and again. I had to find a solution. Grasped some new things and kind of understood the problem. I was responding to mostly bots (Quora question generators), not humans.

There are few people on the platform who put reasonable questions about how to fix their problems. And most of them are not in "Motion" (are not taking action). So it's hard to find someone who is, at first, hungry enough to accept a more detailed conversation about how I can help him. It's a question -> response based platform only.
I tried "help people" approach, and also failed. I built software, instead of answering questions, but the results were mediocre, popularity-wise. My guess is that I was a vitamin, not a painkiller.

I want to thank you all for reading this.
Yes, I know it was boring and a me-focused. There are a lot of intro posts in here who sound all similar. "I'm poor, blah blah, I want to make money. I failed. Now I want to start over. blah blah". But this was just my little introduction in here so I can finally look more like part of the family instead of a foreigner :)
Not boring, on the contrary, it was quite interesting to read.

Artiom O

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 10, 2021
Hey. I found your intro inspiring, I should've written one like yours. Mine is focused on a single episode, while yours is a bird-eye view.

And thanks for reminding me that focusing on selling and money is a wrong approach.

That's so useful, I'll add that to my evening journaling. Something like "What painful problems I faced today?".

I tried "help people" approach, and also failed. I built software, instead of answering questions, but the results were mediocre, popularity-wise. My guess is that I was a vitamin, not a painkiller.

Not boring, on the contrary, it was quite interesting to read.
Wow, glad I've been useful. This post is by itself a way into helping someone. My first step towards true problem-solving.

Anyway, the part with journaling is a bit different. It was literally a high level tool for action taking, productivity, process etc.

The way it works is:
- You have a goal so you're learning a bit at the beggining and then putting it into application and take action.
- You hit a rock. No clients. No views. Poor reviews. Cannot find a platform. This that. The problems standing in front of you that are required for you to fix in order to continue.
- You research, learn, and find a solution. Then you adjust. Apply it and again get back into action.
- and again again. It's a circular process.

Also, I see our "help people approach" is very similar. Have you tried fixing your solution based on the reviews of your users ?

Yeah you might need a stronger solution. Or it might not be that demanded and asked anyway.

I still consider continuing on Quora, but I need to find a way to connect with the people and find who's truly hungry (if he is, then he'll reply and hop into a conversation)

Glad this was helpful to you. Mission completed.

pancake_summer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 14, 2022
Yeah, thank you. I do have a portfolio that I've built while learning. But people just don't care. I know I haven't done anything valueable for anyone. Nor have I proved my worth (yes yes prove don't say).
How you communicate with clients is important. When I was starting on Upwork, I read a free ebook by Chris the Freelancer, and it definitely helped. The ebook isn't available anymore, but he's got courses on Upwork and LinkedIn freelancing:
Haven't gone through them, but I expect them to be decent.

I do find it difficult to copy people from my niche.
"Decoding Greatness" book has some techniques for copying things.

pancake_summer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 14, 2022
Also, I see our "help people approach" is very similar. Have you tried fixing your solution based on the reviews of your users ?

Yeah you might need a stronger solution. Or it might not be that demanded and asked anyway.
I didn't manage to get any reviews, lol. I did a bit of marketing and 5 people starred on of them on Github.

A CLI currency converter (I made one) can be useful, but it's a vitamin at best. People can always use Google to convert currency.

I still consider continuing on Quora, but I need to find a way to connect with the people and find who's truly hungry (if he is, then he'll reply and hop into a conversation)
Are you trying to get leads on Quora?

Artiom O

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 10, 2021
I didn't manage to get any reviews, lol. I did a bit of marketing and 5 people starred on of them on Github.

A CLI currency converter (I made one) can be useful, but it's a vitamin at best. People can always use Google to convert currency.

Are you trying to get leads on Quora?
Well, I don't want to call them leads. I just want to help people with everything I have, for free.

If they like me, and have more problems then they'll probably ask me for help again. This time I can give them a small price.

If not, then they'll have me as a professional and could reffer me in the future. I also gain plenty of experience while communication with others.

And about the currency converter. Yeah, there are 2 types of businesses from what I've learned:
1) Solve an unmeet need with barely any competition. Just the problem itself. This is a money making machine. You are the only settlement in a properous undescovered land.
2) Solve a problem that probably has a solution or it's just a small problem bounded to a greater business product / solution. Yeah, competition. There are many types of them.

In short, you solve an unfilled problem or enter competition through opportunity problems.

Artiom O

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 10, 2021
How you communicate with clients is important. When I was starting on Upwork, I read a free ebook by Chris the Freelancer, and it definitely helped. The ebook isn't available anymore, but he's got courses on Upwork and LinkedIn freelancing:
Haven't gone through them, but I expect them to be decent.

"Decoding Greatness" book has some techniques for copying things.
I will make sure to check them out. Thank you.

pancake_summer

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 14, 2022
Well, I don't want to call them leads. I just want to help people with everything I have, for free.

If they like me, and have more problems then they'll probably ask me for help again. This time I can give them a small price.

If not, then they'll have me as a professional and could reffer me in the future. I also gain plenty of experience while communication with others.
I've seen this technique described by a successful youtuber. She recommends offering free video editing to successful youtubers, and then starting to charge for it, after some time (IIRC). She has a video about that, but it's paywalled on Nebula. It's called "How to Make Money From Other People's Success (brutal truth)".

Last edited:

Artiom O

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 10, 2021
I've seen this technique described by a successful youtuber. She recommends offering free video editing to successful youtubers, and then starting to charge for it, after some time (IIRC). She has a video about that, but it's paywalled on Nebula. It's called "How to Make Money From Other People's Success (brutal truth)".
Yes, just like Andy said. It is a way of selling without knowing how to sell.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...