The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There is a lot of really good information and it's spelled out in such a way that anyone should be able to follow it. Not only is it a great read, but it's also a very good reference once it's read. I found it very motivating and inspiring as many others have already stated. I now find myself wanting to read another book like it,

I might have more books in me ... depends what I learn in this process. I also might be out a Fastlane hardback with a different cover -- something for the book shelf.

HI MJ, loved the book.

Thank you!

With very minimal effort, what 5-10 seconds, shows you care about your customers and business.

I try -- it's about exceeding expectations - I think perhaps that is Chapter 39 or 40.

A real eye opener. If anything this book makes you appreciate the value of time and how little time we really have in this life. Doing anything but the fastlane approach will give a mediocre life as a best case scenario, hardly the stuff dreams are made of. Being aware of this reality can be enough to drive one insane.

Time, yup, your most valuable commodity.

Excellent book really changes ones perspective on life and what happiness really means. Loved the story about the two Egyptians and the comparisons on hard work and smart work.

The Egyptian story/parable is my own creation -- didn't pull that from anywhere!

Your book has opened my eyes to new chances for greater opportunities.
I'm learning more with each page and with each visit to this site.

Thank you very much for the use of your wisdom.

You bet!

This book is seriously life changing.

It has changed the way I think about absolutely everything
and I definitely owe any success I have in the future to MJ.

If someone gives you a roadmap and you follow it, your success will be on you 99%.

I've read the book and can sincerely say that it is one of the most unique and valuable business/motivation books that I've ever read.

If I didn't think so I probably wouldn't have written it -- I thought the market NEEDED this book and I just had to SAY IT. Thanks Robert!

Love the writing style and practical anti-guru-anti-advice.

Today's Decoded Guruspeak: Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish, and you can sell him fishing equipment, boat rentals, and 4 hours seminars on how to be the best fisherman ever, of which 3.9 hours is an upsell to a more expensive seminar. =)

Best business and financial book bar none I have ever read!

Awesome thank you!!

All icons will be added!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
If I might ask, are sales growing?

Bowden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2010
TAMPA, FL
Ordered the book from Amazon a few weeks ago and finally finished it! Great info and I plan on rereading it every few months.

mtinsdale

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 11, 2010
Mesa, AZ
I've read the book. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Opened my eyes to many different avenues, even though I do run my own business, it needs changes because it's still slowlane. Trading time for money won't make you rich and I'm always wondering if I'm going to get enough time to make the monthly expenses.

gvv1965

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 1, 2011
Rome, Italy
I've read almost all the book (80% on my Kindle) and found it tough but concrete and real.
It's lovely to hear "do what you love and you will be successful" or "Just think to money and you will attract it" but the reality is far different, as it is different from some get-rich-quick recipes, easy to be found in the option trading arena, one of the key areas of interest for me.
The book, furthermore, is practical and effective in laying the foundations of a business initiative that can really be life changing. I appreciated the clear guidelines that are provided to evaluate if an initiative can really be a fastlane or, instead, a fake-out.
In short, a very interesting read, also for non anglo-saxon cultures.

taichijedi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Feb 22, 2008
Philadelphia
I have finally finished this awesome tome!!

It was one of the most mentally transforming books I have ever had the pleasure to partake of, and this is coming from someone who has read most of the seminal works on business and entrepreneurship. I have also read a significant portion of the RDPD library, so mentally I was primed for business dissection and discussion.

What sets this book apart from all the others? The transmission. I mean that two ways: First, the way MJ discusses the real trials and tribulations an entrepreneur, you know exactly what your in for. Just like someone can give you the most accurate account of what Navy Seal training will be like, that doesn't mean you'll be able to handle it when it when your in the throes of Hell Week, but you will have a better chance of success because you could get your mind right before showtime. The second way is an extension of MJ's can analogy: He talks about the transmission, what it takes to transfer the power from the engine (your ideas) to the wheels (your execution) and how to build it so it doesn't drop. This is the area so many authors have neglected, they tell you specific rules or patterns, but not how they relate and intertwine.

I can't wait to read it again to strengthen some of the areas I may have missed!!

D.J.

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 24, 2011
P.S. I've read the book, and MJ I wanted to give you some praise you as to how well you did, it's going on the Top Shelf, a true business gem. I love your use of analogies, makes the book really relate-able and fun to read.

I just wanted to reiterate what a great job you did, MJ you speak on this subject with a passion that's almost impossible to ignore. A real business page turner and eye-opener.

:)

I might have more books in me ... depends what I learn in this process. I also might be out a Fastlane hardback with a different cover -- something for the book shelf.

I would as well love to read more, I'm rooting you on for another book. Also if you are ever looking for some help or input on that cover design. Let me know.

palli

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 15, 2008
Reykjavik
Book arrived in the mail yesterday, just finished it. Great read. I hope you're working on another one MJ!

c5195394

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 5, 2011
Read the book. Decided to have it in paper, PDF and Kindle. That NEVER happens. So that is saying something about the quality of the content.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Read the book. Decided to have it in paper, PDF and Kindle. That NEVER happens. So that is saying something about the quality of the content.

Wow! Thank you!

Book arrived in the mail yesterday, just finished it. Great read. I hope you're working on another one MJ!

Not quite sure -- depends what lessons and wisdom I can extract in my current "process".

I just wanted to reiterate what a great job you did, MJ you speak on this subject with a passion that's almost impossible to ignore. A real business page turner and eye-opener.

I am passionate about the subject and I thought what I wrote NEEDED to be written. Had it been stated dozens of times, in this way, I wouldn't have wrote it.

It was one of the most mentally transforming books I have ever had the pleasure to partake of, and this is coming from someone who has read most of the seminal works on business and entrepreneurship.

Banana dance! :banana:

found it tough but concrete and real.

I tried.

Enjoyed it thoroughly. Opened my eyes to many different avenues

Thanks!

If I might ask, are sales growing?

Yes, and it was just picked up by a distributor so book stores might be on the horizon.

Great info and I plan on rereading it every few months.

Thanks!

Icons all added!

KevMoDee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Apr 13, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Great read. Nice job! Bought a copy for my brother.

Anyone out there that has a business idea should really run it through the prism of this book.

You'll quickly learn whether or not you business has a chance of making it large without having to invest more than the $20 for this book.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Good to hear. Not that you need anything to help the book, but many of us are cheering it on.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Not that you need anything to help the book, but many of us are cheering it on.

Actually I do need help -- it looks like "word of mouth" is my best marketing performing channel thus far, so thank you!!

Neon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jan 22, 2011
I finished it last night finally.

It sums up so much of my mindset when I dropped out of college to forge my own path. Even after succeeding people still don't "get it".

It's nice to see an entire book from someone who understands why some people just weren't built for cubicles and daydreams.

D.J.

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 24, 2011
I already got a few people at the workplace to turn the pages and order one! Word of mouth is good, but only when the product rules.

Everyone is happy with their purchase.

Great book.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Actually I do need help -- it looks like "word of mouth" is my best marketing performing channel thus far, so thank you!!

Well, I'll give you the biggest praise I can. This is the first book I will be buying copies to give away.

Gwynne

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 9, 2011
wherever strikes the mood
I just finished the book yesterday; I adored it :) It's been a long time since a book has completely resonated with me. It was inspirational and I loved MJs no bull$hit, no excuses mentality. I'll recommend it to all of my business-minded friends :)

FiveStar

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 9, 2011
I read the book and it is one of the most relevant in my opinion since the four hour work week.

It echoes a lot of my internal thoughts and beliefs, and it feels great to have positive reinforcement that I am on the right path and it won't be long until I am a millionaire.

I am currently 25 years old; extremely focused and dedicated to my goals, and for the past few years I have been on the same path MJ took as an Internet Entrepreneur. I am proud to say that income is starting to grow exponentially and when reinvested into similar projects I feel like the sky is the limit.

@PhxMJ, I believe you are spot on about not being able to outsource in the sense that you can't pay someone else to build an efficient, income producing system but I think once you put in the time/effort and the system is developed/streamlined it can be outsourced for execution and require minimal oversight from your end. :)

I am glad to be a part of this forum and I look forward to contributing.

Aristy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 7, 2011
Finished the book today. It's an eye-opener!

I've recommended it to three co-workers that are also tired of hanging about in the slowlane.

One of the big AHAs! for me: Stopped trying to find business that match "what I love," and instead started working on finding unmet needs in the marketplace. The more emotionally-charged the need, the more motivated my customers will be.

Nicolas43

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Feb 27, 2010
Canada
Hi MJ,

I really enjoyed reading your book, so much I'm reading it a second time. I'm jut really curious about 2 things that seem ommitted and I'm sure are on all your readers' minds.

1) Besides your limousine referal website, what other methods are you using to create your passive income streams. Also, can you provide the links to your sites, I'm curious to see what they look like.

2) In your book, you mention Slow laners use stocks, mutual funds, etc to grow their wealth, and the impression I'm getting is that you're not too keen on them. Once again, I'm curious to know what investments you invest in to grow or maintain your wealth.

Thanks again,

Nicolas

Zeeq

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 21, 2011
Hi, I've read the book on my kindle and I wanted to get a copy of it for my friend (I believe he is stuck in sidewalk mode) but I could not find the book in Borders and Barnes and Nobles only had the book listed on the nook. I was wondering if any of the bookstores carry a hard copy? Or can I only get that through amazon?

Blu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Feb 5, 2011

NHS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
Been reading it the last few days. Not the fastest reader in the world.

I do enjoy how MJ is up front and doesn't coddle the reader. Bet that turns alot of people away because if you don't agree and it hits close to home it's very insulting. Tough love! HAHA

But yeah so far MJ did a pretty good job of describing me in my 20s. Work hard, party hard, If you make 80k spend 100k. That was me. I don't like to think about those times but yeah I was a mess.

Once I am finished I want my fiance to read it. We are almost on the same page but not entirely. She wants a house so bad she doesn't mind giving up her future. Me on the other hand, I think MJ said it best when he called debt servitude. Yes I could go buy my dream car right now! But will it disrupt my life? Probably.

I also really like his definition of wealth. Put into words what I have been trying to say to others but never quite said it right. I don't need to buy anything but having 5k in your pocket that you can do with what you please is very freeing.

Finally I went out to my garage where I store my cars last night. Haven't driven any in 3 months. Started them all up and ran em for 10 minutes. Still to cold to drive but what fun and really got me pumped up in the dead of winter. I got a few things on auto pilot that are bringing me constant money now. It's time to start thinking of my big plan, or the fast lane idea. Could take a year but I am excited.

MBinMT

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Nov 4, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Read the book

Love the attitude. Too much pussyfooting around people when they need a swift kick in the checkbook. Live your life, own your life, stop snivelling about not having what you want, go get it

thomas14

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 10, 2011
Thank you so much MJ. You have opened my eyes and have really inspired me to buckle down and get to work. I really enjoyed the entire book cover to cover. There's so much value in this book, I've already reread it and plan on doing it again within the next month (after I've implemented some more of the ideas in the book). You've really given me a different view on the world (Producer vs. Consumer) and thank you again.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It was inspirational and I loved MJs no bull$hit, no excuses mentality.

Thank you.

I read the book and it is one of the most relevant in my opinion since the four hour work week.

I'll take that as a great compliment!

Stopped trying to find business that match "what I love," and instead started working on finding unmet needs in the marketplace. The more emotionally-charged the need, the more motivated my customers will be.

And motivated to tell others.

1) Besides your limousine referal website, what other methods are you using to create your passive income streams. Also, can you provide the links to your sites, I'm curious to see what they look like.

I was the CEO / Founder of Limos.com -- it was a lead-gen B2C portal -- now it is a mix of that and a reservation site.

2) In your book, you mention Slow laners use stocks, mutual funds, etc to grow their wealth, and the impression I'm getting is that you're not too keen on them. Once again, I'm curious to know what investments you invest in to grow or maintain your wealth.

Ya sure you read my book? Sounds like you haven't. I don't use these investments to create wealth, I use them to create income and preserve wealth. For the last few years, I've been in international and EM bonds, and the Australian dollar. I also buy/sell based on technical factors so when I say I favor a certain thing, doesn't mean I'm in it. For example, I just sold my position in the AUD and will buy back once the dollar rallys.

I was wondering if any of the bookstores carry a hard copy? Or can I only get that through amazon?

Not yet, that is my short term goal. However the book is now available for book store orders (which it wasn't for the first 2 months).

I also really like his definition of wealth.

Any wealth "plan" that steals freedom (and doesn't return it in the form of free time) should be perceived suspiciously.

Live your life, own your life, stop snivelling about not having what you want, go get it

:hurray:

There's so much value in this book, I've already reread it and plan on doing it again within the next month (after I've implemented some more of the ideas in the book). You've really given me a different view on the world (Producer vs. Consumer) and thank you again.

You're welcome.

Icons added.

mister345

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 17, 2011
Hi, just finished the book; great hard hitting advice!
Much needed after all of the spiritual "guru" crap I've been wading through,
and "get rich easy" schemes like the 4 hour work week.

One question I've been dealing with:
Do jobs in academia/research count as the "slow lane" too?

Teaching or Researching a topic that interests you at a university
or think tank can be less like slavery than typical nine to five jobs,
but requires a phd in my major (anthropology) to get a decent job
- a commitment of at least 5 years. (Also continually relying on grants
for money is very disempowering; Id like to study and start a business,
but time is running out).

I'm trying to decide if it is worth going on to a phd, as I already have
a masters, but can't do much with it as anthropologist.

Cut and Run, or upgrade my qualifications?

Thanks.

GW

mftps

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 10, 2009
I'v read the book.. Gotta say it cleared up alot of things that were a little fuzzy for me. I just wish you gave a little more details on what you did to build your limos website to be so successful.. any tips would be great!

Thanks for the book, well worth my time and money!

Tristan Perry

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 19, 2011
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Bought the book on 6th Feb (and it was promptly delivered in less than an hour), and whilst I'm a slow reader when it comes to online books I have now finally finished reading it. Loved it, was a great read.

The no-nonsense style is exactly right IMO. There's so much crap out there (be it guru-led, the negative media, victim mentalities, oversized Government's causing people to develop the belief that they are owed a great life even if they're lazy as heck, etc etc) that this book was a breath of fresh air.

Am very much looking forward to contributing more in these forums.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
Bought the book again, this time on iBooks for my iPod so I can read cough in class cough. :smxB:

Also suggested the book during a test drive my friend was doing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.