The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

'I've Never Met a Happy Millionaire' -Tyson Fury

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
At what point does happiness begin in his Hierarchy of Needs? @Kevin88660

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
At what point does happiness begin in his Hierarchy of Needs? @Kevin88660
Happiness is continuum. Basically a scorecard.
Firstly food and water and physical security.
Secondly comfort and materials.
Thirdly material abundance (financially free) that give your the ability to having to do things that interest you.
Then lastly fulfillment or self actualization.

This will fit 95 percent of the population. I dont think its as “subjective” as what many people hope it to be.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
So do you think 90% of Americans would be somewhat happy with food, water, and physical security? Why are there any depressed people that have these things?

Add the second layer. Now would 90% of Americans be happy? Why are there any depressed people that have these things?

Third layer is actually love, relationships, and belonging to a group. Now would 90% of Americans be happy? Why are there any depressed people that have these things?

Fourth layer includes freedom and also status, self esteem. Should I ask the same questions again?

Now conversely, why are there happy people that are in poverty? That are homeless? That do not even have their basic needs met?

Maslow is not about happiness is an obvious conclusion at this point.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
So do you think 90% of Americans would be somewhat happy with food, water, and physical security? Why are there any depressed people that have these things?

Add the second layer. Now would 90% of Americans be happy? Why are there any depressed people that have these things?

Third layer is actually love, relationships, and belonging to a group. Now would 90% of Americans be happy? Why are there any depressed people that have these things?

Fourth layer includes freedom and also status, self esteem. Should I ask the same questions again?

Now conversely, why are there happy people that are in poverty? That are homeless? That do not even have their basic needs met?

Maslow is about needs and motivation but is fulfilling those needs a measure of happiness? It might certainly play a role.

I actually prefer Dan Bilzerians comments on money and happiness. You buy a cobra at 25 your happiness will be a 10/10. but if you had a higher tier car before that, your happiness might only be a 6/10 when you get the cobra.

The concept is also true for other parts of life. It is actually quite dangerous, in my opinion, because the only possible way for you to continue "being happy" is going up. That means being more materialistic, more money, bigger purchases. Stop progressing, or worse your circumstances decline, you will become unhappy.

I did my driving license in a Ford focus. It was fun and it was fine. It didnt bother me. A few months later I purchased a mercedes with beautiful interior. I felt instantly better when driving. For the next few months it felt good and I was happy about it. Driving was comfortable and fun. Then one day my friend picked me up in her Ford focus. FML, everything from the seat to how it looks and feels. It was a shit experience. When I got back in my car I was comfortable again. However, almost 2 years later and I don't care anymore. It doenst make me feel any more comfortable anymore or any happier. But guess what happens when I get back into that Ford?
Few months ago I test-drove the new 911 carerra S. Omfg, what a perfectly made machine. Instantly fell in love, the interior is spot on perfect. I had such a good day in it that I swore to myself that this is it. I want it. I'm going to get it. Then I got back in my Mercedes and I felt this is shit.

Thing is, you don't even have to own it. Thats why Instagram and co is so toxic. If you were all born on a farm and you had no idea what the world is actually like, you would all be quite happy living that life.

My guess on the Porsche is. I will be happy for a few years and then it will become the norm. It wont be exciting but everything below it will feel like crap.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
@Knugs That's the Hedonic Treadmill in action for ya!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
lmao. Trump getting reelected is going to be glorious!

There won't be enough mugs to catch them all! Think about the wasted potential...
:humph:

lunga ngcobo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 29, 2019

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

I want to distinguish between sustainable long term happiness versus feeling high from buying a gadget.

Those people who are depressed with food and water will be devastated without them.

Those people living in abject poverty in third world country are adopting mental escapism because life is tough and there is no way out.

There is also a mental element. Relationship and learning how to control their life without being dependent on buying the new gadget. But there is no mental fulfillment without material prerequisite. To develop relationships you need time and effort. To have time for that you cannot be running around to pay for your bills all days for all your hours when you are awake.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
I deffinetly think money is an important part of life and helps with being more happy.

However, what I think will bring you even more happiness, is the self-esteem that you build on the journey while acquiring that money.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.