The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

pwilliams84

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Oct 30, 2017
Florida
Hey everyone,

I'm having a tough time with getting started. In my intro post I mentioned how for the past 2 years I've continuously come up with ideas, started to pursue them, and then shut them down by convincing myself that it's not going to work or it isn't the right thing. Next thing you know, 2 years later I'm still here stuck in my job and have accomplished nothing.

I went on to discuss my idea of basically selling web redevelopment and advertising to help local brick & mortar businesses grow sales, and potentially transition in to consulting them on other aspects (i.e. cost savings, planning more efficiently, etc) once that trust is built. The idea was that I could grow this to a level where I could no longer manage it and then bring on people and eventually see my way out of the day to day and sell it.

The feedback I got here was positive, though it was only a few comments. It kind of gave me that validation that this is a legitimate path and that I was finally on to something I could take action on. I began doing so for a friend who has a small business where he offers leisure services that sell for $300-600 depending on which package the client selects. I began doing some FB ad and copywriting courses and then built his first ad-campaign. I made a handful of mistakes and had to revise multiple times. I spend $50 running ads for both page likes and link clicks to get them to a landing page to collect their info to begin the sales funnel.

I was able to get him 3 leads in this process, one of which is the warmest of warm leads possible. The customer literally typed into an optional comment box "i want to (insert the leisure service here) with you sometime. im really hoping to learn how to _____ during it as I've been struggling". This should be a definite close, and proves profitable to him.

I took the advice and started looking for threads that @Fox commented on for ones I could get some information from. I stumbled across a thread here (which I cannot find for the life of me now).The thread went a little something like this:

Someone was wanting to start an ad agency. They were basically shut down by 4-5 people talking about how miserable of a job it is. Somebody gave examples of really stupid customers who seemed to be just a big waste of time. Somebody, maybe it was @Fox or maybe @Andy Black said they were exiting ASAP. Then, much later on in the thread, possibly the 1 year anniversary of posting wanting to exit?, that same person said they actually got further into it and were actually glad they stayed. Hopefully this rings a bell, and if someone can link it so that I can save it I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, that thread really started to make me second guess this. I know my idea was slightly different with where I wanted to take it, but the fundamentals were pretty close.

Can I get some feedback? Should I be starting over or heading down this path? I've thought about pivoting to instead learning everything there is to know about this and then targeting small businesses to sell them a course that clearly walks them through step-by-step how to do this on their own, instead of selling them on doing it for them. That goes against my whole theory, though, that they just don't have the know-how, time, or desire to figure it out and do it on their own. Maybe I could offer both? Or is this just dead in the water?

Thanks for listening, any feedback is appreciated.

TL;DR: is selling web redesign/ad agency services a dead end path that will never make me fastlane/make me more miserable than the current slow lane? should i go back to the drawing board?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
course that clearly walks them through step-by-step how to do this on their own

Almost no body in business wants "a course". They want do what they do for business and pay for the rest. So keep offering your services.

that will never make me fastlane/make
Maybe you don't have to make fastlane as first business.

As for how much ad agency can make take a look at this guy video: The Exact Pitch I Used to Close an $8,000/month Contract

Good Luck

NVaz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 24, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
It's not written in stone that you should do web redesign/ad agency services for the rest of your life. Pay attention to what business owners pains are and pivot if needed to.

One of the most important things is that you keep moving ;)

GL.

WJS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 3, 2017
MY
Hey everyone,

I'm having a tough time with getting started. In my intro post I mentioned how for the past 2 years I've continuously come up with ideas, started to pursue them, and then shut them down by convincing myself that it's not going to work or it isn't the right thing. Next thing you know, 2 years later I'm still here stuck in my job and have accomplished nothing.

I went on to discuss my idea of basically selling web redevelopment and advertising to help local brick & mortar businesses grow sales, and potentially transition in to consulting them on other aspects (i.e. cost savings, planning more efficiently, etc) once that trust is built. The idea was that I could grow this to a level where I could no longer manage it and then bring on people and eventually see my way out of the day to day and sell it.

The feedback I got here was positive, though it was only a few comments. It kind of gave me that validation that this is a legitimate path and that I was finally on to something I could take action on. I began doing so for a friend who has a small business where he offers leisure services that sell for $300-600 depending on which package the client selects. I began doing some FB ad and copywriting courses and then built his first ad-campaign. I made a handful of mistakes and had to revise multiple times. I spend $50 running ads for both page likes and link clicks to get them to a landing page to collect their info to begin the sales funnel.

I was able to get him 3 leads in this process, one of which is the warmest of warm leads possible. The customer literally typed into an optional comment box "i want to (insert the leisure service here) with you sometime. im really hoping to learn how to _____ during it as I've been struggling". This should be a definite close, and proves profitable to him.

I took the advice and started looking for threads that @Fox commented on for ones I could get some information from. I stumbled across a thread here (which I cannot find for the life of me now).The thread went a little something like this:

Someone was wanting to start an ad agency. They were basically shut down by 4-5 people talking about how miserable of a job it is. Somebody gave examples of really stupid customers who seemed to be just a big waste of time. Somebody, maybe it was @Fox or maybe @Andy Black said they were exiting ASAP. Then, much later on in the thread, possibly the 1 year anniversary of posting wanting to exit?, that same person said they actually got further into it and were actually glad they stayed. Hopefully this rings a bell, and if someone can link it so that I can save it I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, that thread really started to make me second guess this. I know my idea was slightly different with where I wanted to take it, but the fundamentals were pretty close.

Can I get some feedback? Should I be starting over or heading down this path? I've thought about pivoting to instead learning everything there is to know about this and then targeting small businesses to sell them a course that clearly walks them through step-by-step how to do this on their own, instead of selling them on doing it for them. That goes against my whole theory, though, that they just don't have the know-how, time, or desire to figure it out and do it on their own. Maybe I could offer both? Or is this just dead in the water?

Thanks for listening, any feedback is appreciated.

TL;DR: is selling web redesign/ad agency services a dead end path that will never make me fastlane/make me more miserable than the current slow lane? should i go back to the drawing board?

@pwilliams84 here you go:

EXECUTION - I want to start a Digital Marketing Agency

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.