The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is your education leading? Or following?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I thought this was appropriate for its own thread.

As with most things Unscripted , most entrepreneurs have it backward.

And we see it here.

I don't know how to do X, Y, or Z!!!
I don't have skill X!
But I don't know how to code/write/copy/design/sell/blah/blah/blah!

Oh well, guess you should just quit eh?

education.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
BTW, this duality is why I've been trying to LEARN more about cryptostuff. My "old education" says scam, dismiss it, the entrepreneur in me knows my education must follow opportunity, not opportunity following education.

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
BTW, this duality is why I've been trying to LEARN more about cryptostuff. My "old education" says scam, dismiss it, the entrepreneur in me knows my education must follow opportunity, not opportunity following education.

Very true, I'm guilty of this myself. I've been dismissing it for a while...maybe it is worth a look...for education purposes! Thanks for the post!

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
This is actually a fascinating topic.

What makes some people jump right in and learn a difficult and valuable skills compared to someone who says "Nah, no thanks, that sounds too hard" or "Man that sounds overwhelming".

I think it has a lot to do with our self-image and self-concept. Because non of this can be absolute, it has to be relative to our own perceptions and beliefs and of course our socialization. In other words, the little universe in our mind is the problem, not the external universe.

I think people who excel as autodidacts and polymaths have this one distinction. They are free from negative self-concepts and from bullshit social conditioning such as parents and teachers telling them that they are not smart and that "success" is for "others".

If your self-concept is "I was never really a good student plus my teachers and parents always had low expectations of me, therefore learning something new and difficult is way outta my league" then of course your never gonna succeed.

But if your self-concept is free from false social standards(college, school, teachers) and socialization such as "I can learn anything as long as I have the first principles and simultaneously understand the variables involved" You can make tremendous leaps in learning. Not BS social standards cause you got a D+ in math in school or cause your parents expectations of you are low.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Crypto needs a bit more time to get better in application and form.
I look forward to its development of financial security mechanisms,which can't be as plundered as easily as currently financial system.

That being said, if one jumps onto the bandwagon merely to make money and not to develop oneself, then its more of scamming oneself than the instrument scamming you.

But, @MJ DeMarco , might we see TMF or UNSCRIPTED being sold in terms of Bitcoin yet in the future? I spotted some freelancer sites offering Bitcoin as means of payment already.:rofl:

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I used to get down on myself a lot for being a college drop out.

Hated college, hated it. Sit inside and stress about learning how to pass a test while life was out there waiting for me?

Yeah, right.

I found it much easier to fly by the seat of my pants, throw myself into opportunities, and learn what I needed to learn as problems came up...not before.

Got tons of crap for it though. Family (first one to go to college!), friends, the occasional business professional that acts disgusted when they ask "what's your degree in?" and I say I don't have one (and usually make way more money than they do...hence the disgust)

Run into a problem-->learn how to fix it-->fix it-->rinse and repeat until you meet your goals.

or

Run into an opportunity-->learn how to use it-->use it-->rinse and repeat until you meet your goals.

Simple.

Beatingtheodds

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Oct 24, 2017
England
This may be the place to ask this :happy:. What are your thoughts on learning a skill/information not directly related to your direct long term goal of Fastlane? Here it's crypto, but could be AR, AI, Material Science etc. which might not be related to your business.I'd thought about learning about human psychology, storytelling, & AR <<< None are 'directly' related, but didn't want to fall into the action faking hamster cycle

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
This may be the place to ask this :happy:. What are your thoughts on learning a skill/information not directly related to your direct long term goal of Fastlane? Here it's crypto, but could be AR, AI, Material Science etc. which might not be related to your business.I'd thought about learning about human psychology, storytelling, & AR <<< None are 'directly' related, but didn't want to fall into the action faking hamster cycle

Having hobbies is important, but just make sure it doesn't detract from your business goals.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
“An entrepreneur is someone who will jump off a cliff and assemble an airplane on the way down.”

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What are your thoughts on learning a skill/information not directly related to your direct long term goal of Fastlane?

Do it as you may never know where it leads.

What you want long-term might change as well. My ideas of "long-term" have changed throughout the years. At 25, 35 and so forth ... we evolve as does our vision.

Bottomline, action leads to direction which might open up new opportunities or objectives.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
I started out doing it because of familial pressure, however I did not belong in academic environment (this was before the advent of online courses and degrees). The quality of 75-85% of the colleges in America are subpar and below average. Run like any paper mill, the quality of instruction has gone down and been replaced by outsourced labour (overseas professors) that focus more on research then teaching (i can only speak on behalf of STEM degrees and subjects because i was Mech E starting out)
Now through my mentor i found out that a lot can be done mobile -wise and some industries require extensive qualifications but its okay because I am “earning whilst learning” and that works out well economically for me.. However like MJ says there must always be a fire or some ignition point and the willingness to learn and seek out information, knowledge new skills etc.

I was adamant on not continuing and it worked out because during the shitty recession, Chicago was horrible place for college students and recent graduates; a lot of supply of bachelors and masters degrees holder all throughout Chicagoland region in 2009-2012 so then what? Move southwards where manufacturing was starting to really thrive and flourish and no degree required and hustled way to better incomes etc... now that period is over, and dealing with mentors, going back isn’t as difficult. I am well aware of what to do now and with mobile options, there is no excuse.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.