The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this an acceptable revenue model?

Peteee72

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 20, 2017
South Africa
Hi guys,

So, I've had an idea that I can see bringing in huge benefits to many large companies through their apps, but I am struggling to find a way to monetize it.

Without giving away the meat and potatoes of the venture, I am currently developing a 'process' that can be used in a large niche of apps, which are already making large incomes.

I wanted to know if it is possible for me to patent just the process, and then license out software patent to companies for them to implement into their apps, and then charge a commission for the sales which it brings into the company. (This will be easy to track)

After extensive research, I have found that there is no patent established around this technology already, and I could not find evidence of any companies with a similar revenue model.

Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi guys,

So, I've had an idea that I can see bringing in huge benefits to many large companies through their apps, but I am struggling to find a way to monetize it.

Without giving away the meat and potatoes of the venture, I am currently developing a 'process' that can be used in a large niche of apps, which are already making large incomes.

I wanted to know if it is possible for me to patent just the process, and then license out software patent to companies for them to implement into their apps, and then charge a commission for the sales which it brings into the company. (This will be easy to track)

After extensive research, I have found that there is no patent established around this technology already, and I could not find evidence of any companies with a similar revenue model.

Thanks in advance!

Can you be any more vague?

My answer is, it depends.

Peteee72

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 20, 2017
South Africa
Can you be any more vague?

My answer is, it depends.

Sorry, I guess like most people on the forum, I just don't want to give too much away.

For a wildly unrealistic example lets say you owned a patent protecting the "shopping cart" function. Could you lease / license this out to ecommerce apps, online stores, etc?

Van Halen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Mar 3, 2017
United Kingdom
No idea what you're trying to make or sell here; but licensing and patents is fastlane. It counts as renting which is passivity A+ if I remember correctly. There we go you've had your validation, now lets go out there and make some sales.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Sorry, I guess like most people on the forum, I just don't want to give too much away.

For a wildly unrealistic example lets say you owned a patent protecting the "shopping cart" function. Could you lease / license this out to ecommerce apps, online stores, etc?

If I remember correctly some company did patent that, there was a big case where they sued someone and they were fighting over whether it was "obvious" or not. Maybe that helps.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Can you create software that you can license?

Yes.

If you think you have a plugin or software that can help optimize apps, start talking to developers and sell it. The only way you'll know is if you get sales.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Licensing is an acceptable business model.

However which path of execution will get you quicker to the desired result?

Executing on a patent and then selling that patent to another company in a licensing deal might be more difficult than executing on the company itself.

Kinda hard to say ... a vague question will get vague answers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.