The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is making lofi beats a good CENT?

Cardamom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Nov 11, 2022
First time posting here so excuse me for asking nooby questions. Im some chapters away from finishing The Millionaire Fastlane but im already trying to look for ideas that work.

Anyone know anything about lofi beats? Can you make a good amount of money with it? It's something I always listen to myself while being productive. I'm thinking about getting a midi keyboard and learn music some music theory and start making beats. Would that be a good thing to invest my time in? Im currently in a 9-5 job..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
First time posting here so excuse me for asking nooby questions. Im some chapters away from finishing The Millionaire Fastlane but im already trying to look for ideas that work.

Anyone know anything about lofi beats? Can you make a good amount of money with it? It's something I always listen to myself while being productive. I'm thinking about getting a midi keyboard and learn music some music theory and start making beats. Would that be a good thing to invest my time in? Im currently in a 9-5 job..

Just do it as a hobby. Sooner or later, there'll be a AI platform just like ChatGPT and Dalle-E/MidJourney, but for music (if there isn't one already).

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Low barrier to entry, anyone and everyone is doing it.

Now, creating tools for people to use for making loft beats could be a gold mine.

What is the market for lofi beats? Spotify, YouTube streams? There aren't performance opportunities, maybe there are merch opportunities?

I'm not in that genre, but I suspect it's like other genres: It's easier to enter and absolutely brutal to reach the top. It sounds like you're not very interested in it, otherwise you would have started something already, even if just for fun.

Overall, it sounds like music is a field that is totally new to you. If you are looking for a fastlane venture, look at your existing skill sets first.

Cardamom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Nov 11, 2022
Low barrier to entry, anyone and everyone is doing it.

Now, creating tools for people to use for making loft beats could be a gold mine.

What is the market for lofi beats? Spotify, YouTube streams? There aren't performance opportunities, maybe there are merch opportunities?

I'm not in that genre, but I suspect it's like other genres: It's easier to enter and absolutely brutal to reach the top. It sounds like you're not very interested in it, otherwise you would have started something already, even if just for fun.

Overall, it sounds like music is a field that is totally new to you. If you are looking for a fastlane venture, look at your existing skill sets first.
You're right honestly.

I have played around on softwares for making beats but the reason I haven't dove in completely is because I would need a midi keyboard to make beats effectively. And that costs around 150$(import cost makes it higher here its usually 90$ in a developed country)

I think Lofi Girl is making a ton of money with merch and other products. But theyre not making all the beats themselves they just compile it on a 24 hour stream..

Im still not sure whether to invest that 150$ into it or not it could potentially be really beneficial but it could also be a waste of money that I put into something I did temporarily :/

Cardamom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Nov 11, 2022
Just do it as a hobby. Sooner or later, there'll be a AI platform just like ChatGPT and Dalle-E/MidJourney, but for music (if there isn't one already).
Yeah that is one of the other concerns I had because I looked into ChatGPT today and I was using it while being shocked at all the possibilities this could open.

mirumiru

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
277%
Aug 22, 2022
Chile
Hmm... I don't think so. You will obtain some money but don't expect too much from it.
As SamRussel said, it has a low entry barrier.
Also, this is very attached to your time. If you're not working then you're not making money. Is not very different from any other kind of job.
Also, consider that not always pay is good.
Generally, some people will sell beats for less money than you and they will likely to ignore you if you ask too much money from it.
I have a friend who created beats and he only gained $20 from each track (and most of them... he gave them for free with no copyright just to gain some fame). Still, he didn't easily got clients. So it was not very profitable.
It all depends in your skills too... but from my personal view, I don't see it very profitable.
I would use that time to develop another skill or try other business idea.
This is my personal view though, I could be wrong.
You should think about it.
Don't get discouraged. Opportunities are everywhere!
I wish you the best in your journey!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
I tried it.
I did lofi covers and only got around 50 views on each video (I did 3 proper covers, one original lofi song got like 9 views lol).
It's not as easy as you think to create them and it's EVEN HARDER to even just earn 10 bucks.

Me, a pianist in classical training and composer, would say a hard no...
Even the most successful person in my specific niche was making like 4k at best. At best.
It's ruthless.
Demand: usually Filled
Control: "go F*ck yourself" (none, youtube and others can #### #### ###)
Entry: every 13yo tries it and the genre literally builds off being cheap so everybody with a broken boomwhacker and a pc can learn it.
Time: Possible
Scale: Depends

What are you gonna do differently in the genre? You're just some guy who hasn't even started yet. What's special about you(r music)?

I'd find something else

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
I hope you're not discouraged by the replies encouraging you to seek something else. Keep reflecting on your skills (skills, not necessarily your driving interests) and constantly ask yourself "what problem needs to be solved here?" You'll have tons of ideas that you or someone else will find weaknesses in. Keep going. You'll land on a good one, and one is all you need.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Also, if you really really want to start something ASAP.. you might find value in this thread:

Cardamom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Nov 11, 2022
I hope you're not discouraged by the replies encouraging you to seek something else. Keep reflecting on your skills (skills, not necessarily your driving interests) and constantly ask yourself "what problem needs to be solved here?" You'll have tons of ideas that you or someone else will find weaknesses in. Keep going. You'll land on a good one, and one is all you need.
I really appreciate your encouraging words, but I believe the negative comments served some good here. Because if I were to pick a synthesizer now I'd look at it more as a hobby that might become a money-making tool if I become really good at it. But not think that oh I need to train right away because this is how I will be making money.

I really think starting a lofi channel with no beats might be even more profitable than making the neats yourself but yet again I could be wrong.

I will still dive into making music in the future because I'm passionate about it just not for the sole purpose of making money.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
If you want to make beats then do it, not everything has to make money

Make money another way so that you have free time to make beats

Maybe one day your beats will make money, plenty of rich producers and djs out there

To be fair though you can make beats without a midi, if you aren’t already doing that is this really something you want to do?

Is it really something you want to do if $150 is going to stop you. Or if someone on an internet forum tells you it won’t make money.

If you really wanted to do it you wouldn’t care if it made money or what anyone here tells you

I notice all the successful djs are quite old, I think it takes a huge amount of time in the industry to get to that level. Diplo etc.

Cardamom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Nov 11, 2022
If you want to make beats then do it, not everything has to make money

Make money another way so that you have free time to make beats

Maybe one day your beats will make money, plenty of rich producers and djs out there

To be fair though you can make beats without a midi, if you aren’t already doing that is this really something you want to do?

Is it really something you want to do if $150 is going to stop you. Or if someone on an internet forum tells you it won’t make money.

If you really wanted to do it you wouldn’t care if it made money or what anyone here tells you

I notice all the successful djs are quite old, I think it takes a huge amount of time in the industry to get to that level. Diplo etc.
Definitely! I think you're right.

mirumiru

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
277%
Aug 22, 2022
Chile
I really appreciate your encouraging words, but I believe the negative comments served some good here. Because if I were to pick a synthesizer now I'd look at it more as a hobby that might become a money-making tool if I become really good at it. But not think that oh I need to train right away because this is how I will be making money.

I really think starting a lofi channel with no beats might be even more profitable than making the neats yourself but yet again I could be wrong.

I will still dive into making music in the future because I'm passionate about it just not for the sole purpose of making money.
MJ DeMarco mentioned in his book that he recommended to reach first financial freedom and then enjoy your passions.
We generally tend to want to make money with our passions, but that leads us nowhere because as Demarco said, "no one really cares about what you love".
This sounds harsh, but this is the true.
Think about it, the world is a selfish place, they will no care about what you want but instead prioritize what they want.
All people in this world wants to do what they like.
They're all chasing it and wanting to make money from it. Only a few are able to really do it. Most of the people fail.
(That's why there are so many abandoned blogs, so many people doing lofi beats, so many vloggers failing, etc)
But... it's different when you focus in giving value to the world.
Now you're not focusing on what YOU want (which is also important, but not always 100% when it comes to make money and think about business ideas), but in what OTHERS WANT & NEED.

If you have something others want, they will search you.
If you cover a necessity helping them, they will pay you.
You have to offer value to the world and if you do it correctly (just remember that everyone fails a LOT at the start, you have to continue and continue trying), you will receive money.

That is beautiful, because with what you create, you're making people more comfortable, feel better, cover a necessity, etc. You're giving them what they want and adding value to their life.

Most of the people just think about what THEY want. Don't be like them!
Think about what others want and focus on giving value.
This is detailed explained in MJ DeMarco books. It's very important.
Once you reach financial freedom you have made it.
No more need to worry about money to enjoy your passions.
Money will no longer be the ghost that harass you and take your sleep at night.
Remember, financial FREEDOM.
So I think it's a good advice to forget about what you love when it comes to making money and instead starts to focus about what others want.

Now, please don't get me wrong!
I will never say to give up your passions.
Please continue developing yourself as a person and enjoying your life doing what you like and love!
But when it comes to making money and reach your goals of financial freedom, please consider what I said. Change your perspective when it comes to that matter.
Analyze it and you will see that it makes sense.

Just look around you, every big business is giving us something, isn't it?
That's why we're giving them our money to them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...