The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Is it possible to start freelancing as a 17yo?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

hoponthebop

New Contributor
Apr 16, 2019
Hey!

So Im 17yo and atm I'm learning copywriting. I've been learning copywriting for like 2 months and honestly it's time to take a leap and start working and start making money( which I need to because Im broke and so is my family :/). The problem is that while I was researching freelancing sites I read that I need to be atleast 18 to start freelancing and it got me lost right there. Will it be a big issue if I lie that Im 18 to start working earlier?

If not, how can I find clients and start working?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

astr0

Grinding
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Lying that you 18 may be an issue later when you try to withdraw your money from their platform.
They can also freeze your account with all your earnings if they find out.

Registering an account for someone who's 18+ and work from it is another shady option. Also violating ToS will all the consequences.

Try to find some copywriting work for your family/friends/friends of friends, etc. You'll get some experience and can join freelancing platform later, in less than a year.

Patrick Jones

growing
Speedway Pass
Dec 9, 2018
Berlin
Just give it a go and keep in mind that you might need an adult's bank account to cash out from freelance platforms.

If they find out and lock your account, just open another one. Nothing lost (compared to not opening an account), but heaps of experience to gain.

As long as you provide value, nobody really cares how old you are.

astr0

Grinding
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Just give it a go and keep in mind that you might need an adult's bank account to cash out from freelance platforms.
Better register an account for an adult if you really have to.
They may require scans/photos of documents and you don't want to fake that.
And you probably get in less trouble with this approach, since having 17yo may bring them some legal issues so they probably treat it more seriously.

Also keep in mind that if you screw up under your real name, you'll probably be banned on the platform forever.

rjrobbins2

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 20, 2019
Kansas City, MO
The problem you will face is that you need to be 18 for a contract to be valid. You also cannot form a business entity until you are 18.

Do not lie to your clients about your age, they dont need to know your age anyway.

I know some of my daughters high school friends do work on Fiverr for Photoshop so it is possible. I would just research the legality of it.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
I'll let others answer the rest of your questions since I do not have enough experience in the online freelancing field.

You can start freelancing right now. Back in the days when Upwork or sites alike didn't exist, what would freelancers do ?

Find places where you can provide value
Look in cities around you for businesses that need some copywriting work. Contact them through phone, their website contact form, FB, any way you can. Show them you can bring value, and they won't care about your age.

Last edited:

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
May 27, 2013
Hey!

So Im 17yo and atm I'm learning copywriting. I've been learning copywriting for like 2 months and honestly it's time to take a leap and start working and start making money( which I need to because Im broke and so is my family :/). The problem is that while I was researching freelancing sites I read that I need to be atleast 18 to start freelancing and it got me lost right there. Will it be a big issue if I lie that Im 18 to start working earlier?

Where are you located? I might have a weekend hustle for you that could make you some extra money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox' Web School's "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
This year has been quite crazy so far, and a lot of people have reached out to ask me if web...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Got it several weeks ago and have listened to it several times now. I've definitely met both...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Just got off the phone with @LightHouse. Having just a 45 minute conversation with him has...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Out of curiosity, what types of businesses are you advising on? (I read this whole thread...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Just bought 5 of your Upwork courses. Thanks for making valuable content Lex!
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks for your offer to look at my book. Here's the link to the squeeze page Buy The Prosperous...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom