The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ecommerce Vs Agency Vs Freelancing As A Beginner

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
May 29, 2021
Konichiwa!

I've never done a proper intro before so here goes...

When I was 16, I was introduced to the concept of financial freedom by Hector Quintalla and my friend, the drop shipper. With that initial spark, I went on to read many financial books and stumbled upon the Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted .

Of all the wealth material I'd read, this book was light years ahead! I had entered an entirely new realm of thinking, a new frame of mind. I wanted to act now, and quickly.

I sought to create and sell some bookmarks to my friends for their books by "scratching my own itch". I disliked creasing my books after all. I was able to scale that business to a whooping... $35 XD. Thinking back now, I really should have gotten on Ebay.

Since I was underage, my movements from location to location and money I could spend online was limited. So my entrepreneurial activities came to a screeching halt. But it was always on my mind.

Days passed...

Weeks....

Months....

Years...

Until I turned 18. The wait was well worth it. By then I had soaked up a lot of valuable knowledge from the forum.

With my own account made, I turned to Lex's threads to make money as a copywriter and read Cashvertising to be able to make some capital to fund a new business. Which leads me to this point.

I've been freelancing as a copywriter for a while now (Probably over 2 months) and I'm looking to upgrade to something that can make $10,000 a month or more and will be a valuable experience in learning business. I've thought of 3 vehicles to get there...

1. Ecommerce- I want to create a better product and sell it.
2. Agency- Content writing? Web dev?
3. Freelancing- Continue on the freelancing path to that goal

Here are the important factors affecting my decision between an agency and Ecommerce, that I thought about thanks to Miketing:

Time- Something that can detach from my existence

Money- More certainty for something that can make 10K consistently and more

Speed- I love to do things as quick as possible. You could say I'm a bit impatient with things sometimes. What can get me to my goals the quickest?

Enjoyment- Something I'd love to build.

Capital required- Preferably the one that can be started the quickest with the lowest amount of capital for now (Since this would be my first business).

Long term unchanging- Something that best represents my end business (productocracy)/ want to do 7 years from now

Probability Of Success within the time period

Experience learned for new businesses

Of course, I can just continue freelancing alone to reach 10K a month (Get two $5K clients), but I would prefer to keep the time input low for now (Max 4 hours a day since I still have Uni and bad grades is a big no no in my family).

Any advice?

Thanks much!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Konichiwa!

I've never done a proper intro before so here goes...

When I was 16, I was introduced to the concept of financial freedom by Hector Quintalla and my friend, the drop shipper. With that initial spark, I went on to read many financial books and stumbled upon the Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted .

Of all the wealth material I'd read, this book was light years ahead! I had entered an entirely new realm of thinking, a new frame of mind. I wanted to act now, and quickly.

I sought to create and sell some bookmarks to my friends for their books by "scratching my own itch". I disliked creasing my books after all. I was able to scale that business to a whooping... $35 XD. Thinking back now, I really should have gotten on Ebay.

Since I was underage, my movements from location to location and money I could spend online was limited. So my entrepreneurial activities came to a screeching halt. But it was always on my mind.

Days passed...

Weeks....

Months....

Years...

Until I turned 18. The wait was well worth it. By then I had soaked up a lot of valuable knowledge from the forum.

With my own account made, I turned to Lex's threads to make money as a copywriter and read Cashvertising to be able to make some capital to fund a new business. Which leads me to this point.

I've been freelancing as a copywriter for a while now (Probably over 2 months) and I'm looking to upgrade to something that can make $10,000 a month or more and will be a valuable experience in learning business. I've thought of 3 vehicles to get there...

1. Ecommerce- I want to create a better product and sell it.
2. Agency- Content writing? Web dev?
3. Freelancing- Continue on the freelancing path to that goal

Here are the important factors affecting my decision between an agency and Ecommerce, that I thought about thanks to Miketing:

Time- Something that can detach from my existence

Speed- I love to do things as quick as possible. You could say I'm a bit impatient with things sometimes. What can get me to my goals the quickest?

Enjoyment- Something I'd love to build.

Capital required- Preferably the one that can be started the quickest with the lowest amount of capital for now (Since this would be my first business).

Long term unchanging- Something that best represents my end business (productocracy)/ want to do 7 years from now

Probability Of Success within the time period

Experience learned for new businesses

Of course, I can just continue freelancing alone to reach 10K a month (Get two $5K clients), but I would prefer to keep the time input low for now (Max 4 hours a day since I still have Uni and bad grades is a big no no in my family).

So as a beginner in business, what would you recommend the path one should take? And why?

Thanks much!

I don't know which path is right for you, but a copywriter can make $10k+ with 4 hours a day or less. Assuming you've been successful with freelancing, then you already have proof that you can at least make money with this route.

An agency only makes sense to me if you want to build it into a legit full-time business. Not only will you have to figure out how to consistently pull enough clients, but you will also be managing other people. This is more scalable than solo freelancing, but also requires a deeper level of commitments, and in the beginning, it still comes with the same consistency challenges that you run into as a solo freelancer.

Ecommerce is probably the most scalable, but again, we're talking about a deeper level of commitment in terms of time, money, and entrepreneurial skills.

If you're making money freelancing already, then the fastest path to $10k or more per month is almost certainly to upgrade your solo freelancing because you can do that immediately, even instantly as long as you can prove to clients why you are worth the price.

Ecommerce is probably the most likely to reach escape velocity in the long-term in terms of separating your time from your income, assuming you succeed, but you can build an ecommerce business WHILE freelancing.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I understand you might be limited by time because you’re also studying.

But after some time here your question should not be which one should I do.

Sounds exactly like :
“What can I do for 4 hours to make 10k/ month?”

Of course, I can just continue freelancing alone to reach 10K a month (Get two $5K clients), but I would prefer to keep the time input low for now
I think you’re afraid. Because what you said here and this:
Don’t go well together if you know you can make 10k/ month.

If freelancing made you money, continue on that path. Evolve. Learn more, offer a better service and raise your prices.

None of the options you’ve displayed will generate a low input high output without a system in place. At least not in the beginning.

This is just my opinion.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Maybe check out www.TropicalMBA.com/services

Scale the freelancing?

Maybe end up with a productised service. Maybe MRR for something you’ve built once.

Maybe you do end up so busy you need hired help. Or maybe you focus on copywriting for eCommerce (or some other type of business), and then get further into that business type till you run a business similar to what your clients run.

Opportunities arise when you go deep.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Copywriting is huge money if you can find the right clients.

Look up how much Dan Kennedy, Ben Settle or even back in the day, Gary Halbert charged for their services.

Ecom can be profitable but there's a lot of work involved from manufacturing the product, getting the product delivered to you, shipping the product to customers, packaging, advertising, customer service etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.