The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What skill do I learn to finally start freelancing?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm 18 and want to start freelancing. Because I'm probably going to an IT university, I'd like to freelance in that area. What specific skills would you guys recommend me to learn and get proficient in?
I’d say web development or digital marketing. The technical side should be easy for you to pick up if you lean towards IT. Then you can focus more on acquiring clients.

Curious what others suggest.

Kannnn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 2, 2021
I’d say web development or digital marketing. The technical side should be easy for you to pick up if you lean towards IT. Then you can focus more on acquiring clients.

Curious what others suggest.
Right. I like the idea of digital marketing and I've seen that a lot of people on the forum are doing well with SEO. The thing is, I see so many freelancers on UpWork that do SEO for incredibly cheap prices. Indians who have a lot of experience and charge like $5 an hour. Would it be tough for me to make a break in that niche? Or are there any specific niches that you could recommend?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I'm 18 and want to start freelancing. Because I'm probably going to an IT university, I'd like to freelance in that area. What specific skills would you guys recommend me to learn and get proficient in?
I'd say you want to look at the intersection of skills that are in demand, abilities you already have, and things that you like doing. Think of it like a Venn diagram, the ideal is to land in the middle: a skill that is in high demand, that you already have some abilities in, and that you like doing.

Skills that are in demand at the moment are marketing and programming in terms of things that are related to IT. High-growth industries are AI, there's a lot of interest there, and payments can be very high. So programming with a predilection towards AI is a good choice, ASSUMING you're introverted, like to spend a lot of time in front of a computer, and like the kind of activities you need to do to code well (I personally hate them lol).

If you're interested in how to get started specifically with freelancing, @Speed112 and I go in-depth about how you can get your first clients in the next 7 days in the masterclass that will happen tomorrow. You may want to attend, it's advertised at the top on the forum (you can check it out here as well).

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Right. I like the idea of digital marketing and I've seen that a lot of people on the forum are doing well with SEO. The thing is, I see so many freelancers on UpWork that do SEO for incredibly cheap prices. Indians who have a lot of experience and charge like $5 an hour. Would it be tough for me to make a break in that niche? Or are there any specific niches that you could recommend?
Don’t worry about folks doing it cheap. Personally I’d rather do paid search than SEO as the results can come quicker, and the client is already paying money (for ads).

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Say a bit more about yourself.
What interests do you have?
Any skills, job experience?
How do your family members make their living?
And whatever else you think would be relevant.

Kannnn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 2, 2021
Say a bit more about yourself.
What interests do you have?
Any skills, job experience?
How do your family members make their living?
And whatever else you think would be relevant.
No interest in particular. I used to play basketball for like 6 years. I live in a village outside of the capital city (it's a bit less of a village now that there's a highway going next to it but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a suburb). My mother works for the US Embassy and is the only source of income in our family. Got family in Finland and Las Vegas. I'm pretty tech savvy, I've always been good with fixing computers and consoles and what not; currently learning HTML and CSS. Because I don't know what particular field I want to study in I chose IT because as previously mentioned I'm decent at it. Parents really want me to be a vet but I don't want to go to a 5 years course for something I don't even know I like (Still the Software engineer course is 4 years which isn't much less than vet school but if I want to I can get a Master in just another year of study, so in time it takes me to get Bachelor in veterinary medicine I can have a Master in IT). Plus, who's to say vets won't be replaced by machines and I'll be out of work. I also work every year as an Interpreter for a group of Americans who promote peace in my country(unfortunately due to COVID they haven't come last year and by the looks of it they won't come this year either).

CruxisKnight

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Jan 7, 2021
I recommend writing original, high quality content. There is always demand for great writers for website content such as blog posts and articles especially if you are good with research.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Kannnn learn the skill of 'just get started'. go do / try / fail. best skill in the world to have for being an entrepreneur.

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
@Kannnn it's great to hear your willingness and ambition.

Rather than trying to learn in a vacuum, start with low skill jobs and learn on the clock based on your client's needs.

Take as many basic VA gigs as you can get. Stick with the good clients, learn more than your need to for each job, and always do more than you're paid for.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
I'd specialize in SEO and different ads, like FB, Pinterest, google, etc. And maybe even looking into Google Analytics.
The beginning is really difficult on Upwork, without ratings it's hard to find jobs. So it takes a while.
I'd also have a look at Fiver. Yes it's usually at a lower price, but you can still make 20-70$/hour without a problem.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Kannnn learn the skill of 'just get started'. go do / try / fail. best skill in the world to have for being an entrepreneur.
As @ZCP said... pick a direction, get started, keep going.

“You can’t steer a parked car.”

Kannnn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 2, 2021
As @ZCP said... pick a direction, get started, keep going.

“You can’t steer a parked car."
@Tom H.
Yeah so I finally got it! Me and my brother are going to use our lawn mowing equipment ( lawnmower, 2 bushwackers) to mow other peoples' lawns. It beats a hotel job (which was a consideration; mainly because of girls to be honest lol) because I'll be working way less hours while making the same, if not bigger amount of money, which will allow me to study for my college entrance exam and learn HTML and CSS. Also no need to sign no contracts, fat plus. Thank you for helping me out guys

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Tom H.
Yeah so I finally got it! Me and my brother are going to use our lawn mowing equipment ( lawnmower, 2 bushwackers) to mow other peoples' lawns. It beats a hotel job (which was a consideration; mainly because of girls to be honest lol) because I'll be working way less hours while making the same, if not bigger amount of money, which will allow me to study for my college entrance exam and learn HTML and CSS. Also no need to sign no contracts, fat plus. Thank you for helping me out guys
Check out @Johnny boy ‘s threads.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
@Tom H.
Well, you are welcome.
I feel that we didnt help out much though.
What you are saying sounds all over the place to me.

You`ll be working mowing lawns, while leraning HTML and CSS for college entrance exam.
I assume you`ll be ditching the vet idea to persue IT.

Thats all fine and good, but how do you fit those two together?
Wouldnt it make sense to work something that you study and that you would want to ultimately freelance in?

Kannnn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 2, 2021
Well, you are welcome.
I feel that we didnt help out much though.
What you are saying sounds all over the place to me.

You`ll be working mowing lawns, while leraning HTML and CSS for college entrance exam.
I assume you`ll be ditching the vet idea to persue IT.

Thats all fine and good, but how do you fit those two together?
Wouldnt it make sense to work something that you study and that you would want to ultimately freelance in?
Honestly,I don't need HTML or CSS because I'm going to a software engineer course which has little to do with these 2. I'm learning them because it seems better to freelance with them. I only need a summer job so lawn mowing is low skill and easy to start. I only want to work for a month so I can finance my summer. While I'm at it, should I finish learning HTML and CSS or focus on software programs? I seem to enjoy HTML more though

Last edited:

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Honestly,I don't need HTML or CSS because I'm going to a software engineer course which has little to do with these 2. I'm learning them because it seems better to freelance with them. I only need a summer job so lawn mowing is low skill and easy to start. I only want to work for a month so I can finance my summer. While I'm at it, should I finish learning HTML and CSS or focus on software programs? I seem to enjoy HTML more though
Hmmm... you never really finish learning, but to answer your question, yes, keep learning HTML and CSS.
Its a good skill to have.
That mowing the lawn thing for a month just seems like a waste of time to me.
If its a summer job, sure.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.