The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it just me or is the fastlane road really THAT lonely?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Bo_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Apr 24, 2011
No one around you believes that you can do it.
Everyone thinks you're falling for a get rich quick scheme.
Everyone recommends normalcy, playing it "safe".
Everyone thinks that you're taking a stupid risk, they think that you're insane.
They tell you it won't work.
They don't understand.

You're determined.
You have a dream.
You will keep going despite failing.
You're willing to live in terrible conditions for it.
You're willing to sacrifice fun for it.
Silently you're afraid that one day you'll lose the strong drive and self-belief and turn into one of them.

I'm just starting out and I can already feel that this road is cold and lonely.
Only those with strongest self-belief will survive and thrive.

Just wanted to share...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

healthcareitguy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Aug 28, 2011
It's always a bit dangerous in my opinion to talk about "everyone".
I would just focus on the ones that are getting it (even if it's only very few) and you'll see more of them.

Limitless

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 19, 2011
Yes it is lonely especially if you keep being around people with the SL mindset. That is why it is advised that you try to get to know and be around successful people. I think Tim Ferris said this: "You are the average of the 5 people you are most around.

It is also pointless to try to convince slow laners when they have been brainwashed for many years and for them to believe you would mean that they have been wrong for decades. Its a hard pill to swallow. They wont believe until they see you become successful.

What I have recently started to do is not argue or contradict slow laners and keep working on my project. Like Roosevelt said: "move quietly but with a big stick". Something like that.

I have also started getting to know people that are successful and that are like minded even though they haven't made millions yet but they understand the FL mindset and are supportive. It helps to join a local entrepreneur club or something like Meetups or a Lean Start up Cirlce in you area.

I will be attending the Lean Startup Circle in Chicago on September 22nd for an "Actors Studio" style conversation with Eric Ries and Chicago Lean Startup organizer Bernhard Kappe. Look into events like these. They are filled with knowledge, networking and motivation.

Good luck! and Stay thirsty my friend.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Absolutely.. been trying to become a successful businessman for last few years and been lonely most of the time. Having failures doesn't help too..family keeps reminding of it. So I completely agree, you will be THAT lonely. But it's the price you have to pay!

And that's why I love this forum so much cuz it's been a source of support, advice, criticism and perspective and motivation. MJ's book is great too and lots of smart people here, that's why I still hang around this place.

So keep grinding! When the going gets tough, the tough get going!:coolgleamA:

jerb

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 2, 2011
I know how ye feel. But I think you should be proud of having a dream and the determination to achieve it.
Seems many people all around are just "happy" barely getting by and doing absolutely nothing about it. Blows my mind sometimes.

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
deep post op

it reminds me a lot in the matrix where neo has to choose the pill.

you can be slowlane or fastlane.

the decision is yours.

A

Anon3587x

Sacrificing valuable time in our young lives for money. pffffff, sucks. Ya can't take money with you to the grave.

It's funny, the most fun I ever had in Vegas was right after I lost almost my money playing roulette. I had about 20 dollars left and I just decided 'F*ck it'. . .

I started living in the moment and made the best out of the whole night. I didn't feel restricted by money anymore because i had none left. I felt 'free' after that. . .

That night changed me

I could care less what anybody thinks about what I'm doing now. It goes in one ear and out the other

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
No one around you believes that you can do it.
Everyone thinks you're falling for a get rich quick scheme.
Everyone recommends normalcy, playing it "safe".
Everyone thinks that you're taking a stupid risk, they think that you're insane.
They tell you it won't work.
They don't understand.

You're determined.
You have a dream.
You will keep going despite failing.
You're willing to live in terrible conditions for it.
You're willing to sacrifice fun for it.
Silently you're afraid that one day you'll lose the strong drive and self-belief and turn into one of them.

I'm just starting out and I can already feel that this road is cold and lonely.
Only those with strongest self-belief will survive and thrive.

Just wanted to share...

Your are correct. It is a road less traveled and once you get to where your going there are a lot less people there than where you are now.

The saying "90% of all the money is made by 10% of all the people which leaves 90% of the people to split up 10% of all the money" comes into play here. Its a lot less crowded where your going.

Bo_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Apr 24, 2011
Your are correct. It is a road less traveled and once you get to where your going there are a lot less people there than where you are now.

The saying "90% of all the money is made by 10% of all the people which leaves 90% of the people to split up 10% of all the money" comes into play here. Its a lot less crowded where your going.

Nice. This makes a lot of sense -- Pareto's Law in play. I think it scales in greater proportions in this case though. Like 95/5 or even 99/1

Dutchy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Apr 20, 2011
London
I'm having a lot of trouble with it with my day job. Focusing on two things. Friends and family dont understand. Tough!

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
It is only lonely if you continue to surround yourself with mediocre minds.

Sounds like you need to upgrade your friends.

Hokoleskwa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
May 25, 2011
Denver
The people who are doubters now are likely the ones who will write you off as "lucky" when you succeed. They are incapable of being supportive.

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
It was only lonely until I surrounded myself around fastlaners.

Besides, the ones who doubt me in the beginning will become my customers, maybe even my employees. I could use a secretary...

JayKid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 31, 2011
New York City
I guess I could be lucky, but you just need people around you with a similar mindset. My father is an entrepreneur. He will always be supportive of what I'm doing. He's much happy that I've seen the light of the fastlane than when I was drudging alone in the slowlane (although he was plenty proud either way).

I have friends whom think in both ways. And if they are good friends, even if slowlane, they will be supportive.

And I have a girlfriend whom is supportive and helpful regardless of what I decide to do.

You just need the right people around you. I suppose you could easily be surrounded by the wrong people though and it would get lonely quickly.

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
It is only lonely if you continue to surround yourself with mediocre minds.

Sounds like you need to upgrade your friends.

I agree 100%, but when there are more mediocre minds than there are fastlaners, its very hard to find genuine friends. I have over the years found a small group of friends that don't judge or care what my financial situation is and there are some that at the same level as I am and way above. Finding a healthy balance has been what works best for me and at the same time I get what I need from those that have more knowledge than I do and then get to share that with with friends that are seeking it.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
when there are more mediocre minds than there are fastlaners, its very hard to find genuine friends.

There is a reason there are more mediocre minds than brilliant ones. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

I am not saying send an email to all your existing friends letting them know you are moving on. Just saying it is much easier to reach your goals when you are surrounded with like minded people.

As the saying goes, "a rising tide lifts all ships". The energy that comes from a group of friends who are successful and positive is very powerful.

osmanhalifa

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 13, 2011
Yes it is lonely especially if you keep being around people with the SL mindset. That is why it is advised that you try to get to know and be around successful people. I think Tim Ferris said this: "You are the average of the 5 people you are most around.

It is also pointless to try to convince slow laners when they have been brainwashed for many years and for them to believe you would mean that they have been wrong for decades. Its a hard pill to swallow. They wont believe until they see you become successful.

What I have recently started to do is not argue or contradict slow laners and keep working on my project. Like Roosevelt said: "move quietly but with a big stick". Something like that.

I have also started getting to know people that are successful and that are like minded even though they haven't made millions yet but they understand the FL mindset and are supportive. It helps to join a local entrepreneur club or something like Meetups or a Lean Start up Cirlce in you area.

I will be attending the Lean Startup Circle in Chicago on September 22nd for an "Actors Studio" style conversation with Eric Ries and Chicago Lean Startup organizer Bernhard Kappe. Look into events like these. They are filled with knowledge, networking and motivation.

Good luck! and Stay thirsty my friend.

I have the same experiences in my environment, everyone is praying or looking out for a Job. The sad thing is they feel by your ambitions and way of thinking you are being different and they hate being different because they will be called crazy for wanting to be a millionaire. Its like they know with absolute certainty that they can never ride in the fast-lane. There was a point were by the forces of nature I didn't socialize with people who have this mindset

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
"The people who are doubters now are likely the ones who will write you off as "lucky" when you succeed. They are incapable of being supportive."

I agree. It is a lonely road and unfortunately most people you know will be completely unsupportive of you in your endevours outside the norm. I grew up in a smaller town where most people are hateful and would much rather you fail than succeed, yes this was true; very difficult to deal with. There really are very, very few people out there that will be able supportive of you as an entrepreneur, sad but true, other than like minded entrepreneurs. A reason I believe it is important to build these types of support networks for people who want more out of life than 2 kids, an unsecure job, never travel, be frugal, a nursing home, and repeat the process.

wilkin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 11, 2011
I read about an open letter from a pixar animator today talking about persistence. Although it is directed at the creative artists I think we could all learn a bit and understand the value of persistence and like he said 97% of the time you are feeling down but persist to reach the 3% of glory

Give it a read

Feeling creatively drained? Let this letter from Pixar inspire you.

Shad0w

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Aug 1, 2011
I know exactly what you mean.

I love my family and my friends but F*ck THEM.

F*ck everything they say and what they believe in.

Their bullshit only brings you down. So don't even bother. Their thoughts are completely irrelevant.

Just gotta keep moving forward.

CyrusVirus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 7, 2011
I agree. Especially after having my fair share of experiencing how a small number of my peers who I thought to have been my closest friends and family pass judgement on me, label me, misunderstand me, and finally abandon me when the shit hit the fan. It has taught me an invaluable lesson nonetheless, that I had let them do that in the first place and put trust more in others than in myself.

Suffice to say, I chose to play into that role; sometimes we all do. I believe to this day that this is still one of the best 'test' to see if they are indeed true friends and family, or just 'leechers' who wants only the good side of you; and not you as a whole.

It's also worthy to note that it's a lonely road because it's always lighter to travel alone. And if you are fortunate enough to find like-minded people who do not judge you in any way, and know more than you; then keep them close. It will make your journey so much more interesting.

"The sum of a man's problems come from his inability to be alone in a silent room."~Blaise Pascal

I hold this quote close to me ever since I took off on my journey towards the fastlane, it's been lonely as hell. I can't see how I have the luxury of time to go 'catch-up' with my peers anymore.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I am seriously not going to lose another hour on the computer for this, but I see it as this, for today at this moment. You are not the most important person on the planet, come down to Earth, but you must have your views/priorities straight. I do not have one single friend that I remain in contact for more than a year, and I prefer it that way for now. Friends essentially get in your way when they are not in your lifestyle choice. Well for me it is that way. My family, also did not share my views, so I had to get away from them. I cannot say it was hard for me though, since I know what I want. I love them dearly, but I also want my goal. I live once on this planet, or so I assume.

I am going to sacrifice my time and my current self so my future self will have the life of luxury. I take my beliefs and repeat the daily routine, so I will always be closer to my goal at the end. I want to progress, I want to become “this”, I live for my happiness, and I’m happy. I cannot exactly explain what I'm doing, but for me it is the right path. I want too much out of myself, and even I think I choose the most ultimate path.. I am going to do what NO ONE has done before.

I don’t think “screw” them anymore, since it’s not their fault. They choose their lives, and I choose mine. What I choose for myself should be in my control. Once you have your views straight, you must act clearheaded and with 100 percent; efficiency, and do it with intense desire.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.