The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it ever possible to work 9-5 as an entrepreneur?

Anything related to matters of the mind

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Are there any fastlaners here who have been able to successfully transition from the 14 hour days to a reasonable 7 or 8 hour day? After working the last 5 years at almost 14+ hours a day , I've been trying to work my way down to a typical 8 hour day.

I'm curious to hear what some of your experience has been, whether you've learned to love the 14+ hour days, or have you learned to get more out of your 8 hour day and why? I read guys like Grant Cardone who seem to talk about finding love in hard work

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Orange County, California
The richest guy I know (makes around 5 million a year) barely works. He started a soap company that has grown a lot and runs basically on cruise control. He comes in like 6-8 hours a week max.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I have found success with long hours for a couple years followed by a break for a couple years.

Atu

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 23, 2019
  1. Try thinking where your work goes. Are you working on your business, or maybe you are working in your business?
  2. It all depends on your ability to build a self-regulating system. You have to observe your business, acknowledge when and where your interventions go, after that apply wise organizational mechanisms to prevent the need for your presence in the future. All books about TOYOTA are helpful here.
  3. Almost all businesses can be divided into chunks of same-type work: marketing, production, warehousing, deliveries, etc... Can you effectively divide your, hire someone or outsource it and for the price of money buy some time? If the hired person still needs you, why?
  4. What style of a leader are you? Do you just give people a vision and let them go create? Are you a micromanager who absolutely needs each fingermove of your people? There are of course many more styles that that...
  5. What your employees know about their job. Are they all informed about WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, HOW?
  6. What are your employees supposed to do when something break down? Go bother boss? Solve it using XYZ?

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
The richest guy I know (makes around 5 million a year) barely works. He started a soap company that has grown a lot and runs basically on cruise control. He comes in like 6-8 hours a week max.
I know who does this. He owns a few restaurants making 1 mil/year. But is gone on vacation all the time.

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
I've scaled back to working around 6 hours a day and still make more than 10 times what I did at my job where i often worked 12 hour days.

I got here through ruthless prioritisation, outsourcing and automation. (the e-myth and the 80/20 principle where a huge help to me in these areas)

I'm still happy to work long days here and there and I still really enjoy building the business but I also have 2 young boys and spending time with them while they're still little is important to me.

Last edited:

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
Good topic. I think for every one it is different but in my case I do less good business when i work more than 4 fully focused hours work per day. If i work more, then i become less happy and thus more fearful, less clarity, less creative and worse at decision making. I think working less might even make you achieve more. Self awareness is key in seeing what certain behavior has as consequences.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
I got here through ruthless prioritisation, outsourcing and automation. (the e-myth and the 80/20 principle where a huge help to me in these areas)

This also forces you to be productive when you work. Instead of 'making long hours' not actually doing anything productive / procrastinating.

In my opinion the hardest, but most important, transition from employee => entrepreneur.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Lot of great advice so far.
I started researching different methods and I think I need to evaluate how I spend my time in the day...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.