The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is entrepreneurship something you're born with?

Anything related to matters of the mind

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
What do y'all think about this?

I think it's a little bit of both.

You got two sides of the spectrum. Guys like Gary V who say that entrepreneurship is something that cannot be taught, he uses the LeBron James example often. Everybody can go out there and play basketball, but not everybody is gonna play ball like LeBron or Michael Jordan. And that's true, unless you're 6'7-6'8, have a 40 inch+ vertical and weigh 240 pounds then you're not gonna play like LeBron. Or Micahel who was almost 6'5, has huge hands and could palm the basketball easily and had a 45-46 inch vertical too. Same can be said about football/soccer because I used to be one not so long ago. Not everybody is gonna play like Messi or Ronaldinho. At the same time though, it's a physical sport and genes and muscle memory plays a huge role here. Growing up, I was an average athlete. Once I got to high school, I've gotten pretty athletic with very little training, probably because of puberty. And then once I started weight lifting, running and dropped some bodyfat, my athleticism went through the roof. I was always the most athletic, fastest guy on every team I've played on. This is not to brag but it's to give you some context.

I've seen some guys in the gym who've been there ever since I started and they've grown nothing. They look almost the same as I did when I started 4 years ago. Bodybuilding is a physical sport though, or maybe their training sucks. I don't know, maybe they don't know what they're doing.

But on the other hand, Andy Frisella says there are two types of entrepreneurs.

There's the business type and the creative type. The business type is the guy who opens a lemonade stand when they're 7 years old and learns how to sell at a very early age. So if they do decide to open a business when they're 18 or 20, they already have a lot of experience so they may already be a multi millionaire in less than 2-3 years after opening their first business. That's usually the case for these overnight millionaires, they have so much experience already and have this understanding of what people want so they're already of the curve. My little brother is like that too, he started selling t-shirts when he was 12. But they may lack that visionaire aspect to them, which could make them stagnant once they become successful. That's why you see so many $1m-$10m companies, and few that go past $10m in revenue. I believe only 0.4% of companies make more than $10m worldwide.

And there's also the creative type. I'm certainly one of them. These are the guys who love to build. They love to create new things from ground 0, whether it'll be buildings, lego, race tracks, creating video game levels, they're obsessed about the process(well both are). However because they're the creative/visionaire, they may need to team up with a sales person or learn that by themselves which is a process in itself, understanding the value to consumer dichotomy.

Point is, some people are more inclined to be great athletes(they're naturally fast and strong so once they start working out they'll be amazing athletes). Or if you're someone who has great abstract thinking then understanding advanced maths and 3d programming may be for you. That's Steve Wozniak for you, while Steve Jobs was the visionaire, the creative type.

Do you think it applies to entrepreneurship too? Would love to have an interesting discussion!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
I'm sure there are personality types that are better suited for entrepreneurship but I don't think I buy the being born with it thing. People from all kinds of backgrounds have been successful in business.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Your argument here does not make any sense. First you mentioned LeBron, 6’8” 240lbs, with a 40 inch vertical. Of those attributes two of the three can be attained by anybody. The only thing a person cannot control is his height.

Then you go on to say that once you started working out and getting fit you became the best athlete amongst your friends.

So aren’t you saying that athletic ability can be trained?

Your initial post does not make any logical sense.

The rest of your post about business I don’t quite understand either. You are putting entrepreneurs into two different categories. But shouldn’t your argument be about entrepreneurs versus non-entrepreneurs? Since your title is asking if entrepreneurship is something that you are born with?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018

You got two sides of the spectrum. Guys like Gary V who say that entrepreneurship is something that cannot be taught, he uses the LeBron James example often. Everybody can go out there and play basketball, but not everybody is gonna play ball like LeBron or Michael Jordan. And that's true, unless you're 6'7-6'8, have a 40 inch+ vertical and weigh 240 pounds then you're not gonna play like LeBron. Or Micahel who was almost 6'5, has huge hands and could palm the basketball easily and had a 45-46 inch vertical too. Same can be said about football/soccer because I used to be one not so long ago. Not everybody is gonna play like Messi or Ronaldinho. At the same time though, it's a physical sport and genes and muscle memory plays a huge role here. Growing up, I was an average athlete. Once I got to high school, I've gotten pretty athletic with very little training, probably because of puberty. And then once I started weight lifting, running and dropped some bodyfat, my athleticism went through the roof. I was always the most athletic, fastest guy on every team I've played on. This is not to brag but it's to give you some context.

I've seen some guys in the gym who've been there ever since I started and they've grown nothing. They look almost the same as I did when I started 4 years ago. Bodybuilding is a physical sport though, or maybe their training sucks. I don't know, maybe they don't know what they're doing.

There's the business type and the creative type. The business type is the guy who opens a lemonade stand when they're 7 years old and learns how to sell at a very early age. So if they do decide to open a business when they're 18 or 20, they already have a lot of experience so they may already be a multi millionaire in less than 2-3 years after opening their first business. That's usually the case for these overnight millionaires, they have so much experience already and have this understanding of what people want so they're already of the curve. My little brother is like that too, he started selling t-shirts when he was 12. But they may lack that visionaire aspect to them, which could make them stagnant once they become successful. That's why you see so many $1m-$10m companies, and few that go past $10m in revenue. I believe only 0.4% of companies make more than $10m worldwide.

And there's also the creative type. I'm certainly one of them. These are the guys who love to build. They love to create new things from ground 0, whether it'll be buildings, lego, race tracks, creating video game levels, they're obsessed about the process(well both are). However because they're the creative/visionaire, they may need to team up with a sales person or learn that by themselves which is a process in itself, understanding the value to consumer dichotomy.

Point is, some people are more inclined to be great athletes(they're naturally fast and strong so once they start working out they'll be amazing athletes). Or if you're someone who has great abstract thinking then understanding advanced maths and 3d programming may be for you. That's Steve Wozniak for you, while Steve Jobs was the visionaire, the creative type.

Do you think it applies to entrepreneurship too? Would love to have an interesting discussion!

What did I just read?

giphy.gif

tomzestatlu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Nov 29, 2021
Czech republic
I agree with @Martin Z

Of course, every person is different and if you generalize that much, it´s easily questionable. But I think that his point isn´t saying "every entrepreneurial person fits into 2 personality types" but rather "there are some patterns that we might notice".

Background and upbringing play enormous role, but at the same time it´s proven that people are being born with certain personality (J. B. Peterson talks a lot about this). And combination of some certain personality traits gives you bigger chance that you become an entrepreneur in the future.

But none of this prevent or qualify anybody doing whatever.
I think there´s no sense in pointing at people like Elon Musk, Steve Jobs. Yes, they were born as extremely clever visionaires with their own struggles. Let´s be honest, the most of the people are far more average in their (Musk´s, Jobs´s) dominant areas (but on the other hand, better in other areas).

Actually until not long time ago, entrepreneurship has been something "from different world" to me. That´s because of my upbringing (it was almost an insult) and my personality traits also don´t predestine me for it. Well I am not entrepreneur yet, but I know there´s whole new world in front of my to discover. Or with my personality traits, "conquer" would be better word, because I am not very curious, but I like challenges.
On the other hand, I have got this close friend from entrepreneurinal family. In some ways, her personality is a little bit extreme to me, but she seems to be perfect match for being independent entrepreneur. And she is. But on the other hand her openess, creativity and curiousness make her lack somewhere else.
And that´s it, everybody has some mix of qualities and some of them give you bigger chance to become entrepreneur. But it´s not the rule.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I'm sure there are personality types that are better suited for entrepreneurship but I don't think I buy the being born with it thing. People from all kinds of backgrounds have been successful in business.
For sure.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Your argument here does not make any sense. First you mentioned LeBron, 6’8” 240lbs, with a 40 inch vertical. Of those attributes two of the three can be attained by anybody. The only thing a person cannot control is his height.

Then you go on to say that once you started working out and getting fit you became the best athlete amongst your friends.

So aren’t you saying that athletic ability can be trained?

Your initial post does not make any logical sense.

The rest of your post about business I don’t quite understand either. You are putting entrepreneurs into two different categories. But shouldn’t your argument be about entrepreneurs versus non-entrepreneurs? Since your title is asking if entrepreneurship is something that you are born with?
Have you ever played sports before? If you haven't, then it makes sense what you say since it's something you've never done before.

Point is, there are people who can train and will never get to a certain level. If that was the case, then every NBA player would play like LeBron james.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I think we're all born a blank page and our environment and experiences shapes us.
For sure. If you're born to a poor/broke family you know what you really don't want. At the same time, if you're born to a wealthy family you know what's possible. A lot of people from poor countries have never been exposed to what's actually possible.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I agree with @Martin Z

Of course, every person is different and if you generalize that much, it´s easily questionable. But I think that his point isn´t saying "every entrepreneurial person fits into 2 personality types" but rather "there are some patterns that we might notice".

Background and upbringing play enormous role, but at the same time it´s proven that people are being born with certain personality (J. B. Peterson talks a lot about this). And combination of some certain personality traits gives you bigger chance that you become an entrepreneur in the future.

But none of this prevent or qualify anybody doing whatever.
I think there´s no sense in pointing at people like Elon Musk, Steve Jobs. Yes, they were born as extremely clever visionaires with their own struggles. Let´s be honest, the most of the people are far more average in their (Musk´s, Jobs´s) dominant areas (but on the other hand, better in other areas).

Actually until not long time ago, entrepreneurship has been something "from different world" to me. That´s because of my upbringing (it was almost an insult) and my personality traits also don´t predestine me for it. Well I am not entrepreneur yet, but I know there´s whole new world in front of my to discover. Or with my personality traits, "conquer" would be better word, because I am not very curious, but I like challenges.
On the other hand, I have got this close friend from entrepreneurinal family. In some ways, her personality is a little bit extreme to me, but she seems to be perfect match for being independent entrepreneur. And she is. But on the other hand her openess, creativity and curiousness make her lack somewhere else.
And that´s it, everybody has some mix of qualities and some of them give you bigger chance to become entrepreneur. But it´s not the rule.
Great post dude. Entrepreneurs are dudes who just don't quit and they always want to be in control of their life. Even Andy Frisella said that entrepreneurship has been glorified nowadays and many people who shouldn't be entrepreneurs are trying to be entrepreneurs when they're not. Not everyone can deal with that uncertainty.

EquinoxS

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
May 19, 2021
Germany
This.

I have no statistical evidence to back it up but I'm sure that, e.g., children of entrepreneurs are more likely to become entrepreneurs themselves. Once you 'start' (which is the toughest part - just as with everything else), I imagine you could enter a positive feedback loop: you seek out other like-minded people, start business, maybe have some success etc...

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Have you ever played sports before? If you haven't, then it makes sense what you say since it's something you've never done before.

Point is, there are people who can train and will never get to a certain level. If that was the case, then every NBA player would play like LeBron james.
I get what you mean, the top top .1% in sports probably has something extra, some dna or proficiency in talent that gives them an edge to be the greatest. However what about the division 1-3 college athlete or the last guy in the bench in the NBA? Are they all born with extra talent in their blood? Or did hard work get them there?

Again, I pose that your original question is worded incorrectly.

You might also like this video.

View: https://youtu.be/3LopI4YeC4I

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
My assistant and I have been talking about this issue. She says that we were born this way -- stubborn, determined, empathic, goal-directed... I thought it was more dependent on our life experiences, but maybe it's both. On the other hand, my mom always said I was born old -- I never thought like a kid. I just wasn't impressed with the whole experience or the kids around me. And I must admit that I've always been very, very stubborn. Maybe my assistant has a point.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
My assistant and I have been talking about this issue. She says that we were born this way -- stubborn, determined, empathic, goal-directed... I thought it was more dependent on our life experiences, but maybe it's both. On the other hand, my mom always said I was born old -- I never thought like a kid. I just wasn't impressed with the whole experience or the kids around me. And I must admit that I've always been very, very stubborn. Maybe my assistant has a point.
There's some truth to it. That desire has to come from inside of you, that's when you know you have it.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

Entrepreneurship is too wide of a buzzword.

It is a mix of perseverance, business iq and risk taking attitude.

Perseverance and work ethic is a common desirable trait across all discipline.

Business iq had a lot to do with family background and educational upbringing, that will give you a head start. If you are born into a family with relatives who are business people you think like them too. You see business opportunities everywhere and when you go into a cafe you look at the menu you know their margin. You look at the traffic at that hour in this estate you future out how much they are making by running calculations in your brain. It’s in your blood. It can be learnt and many learn it despite not having the family upbringing.

Risk taking attitude I would say is the hardest to teach and probably born rather than learnt. There are smart and hardworking people who will keep themselves ten feet pole away from any entrepreneurship.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Entrepreneurship is too wide of a buzzword.

It is a mix of perseverance, business iq and risk taking attitude.

Perseverance and work ethic is a common desirable trait across all discipline.

Business iq had a lot to do with family background and educational upbringing, that will give you a head start. If you are born into a family with relatives who are business people you think like them too. You see business opportunities everywhere and when you go into a cafe you look at the menu you know their margin. You look at the traffic at that hour in this estate you future out how much they are making by running calculations in your brain. It’s in your blood. It can be learnt and many learn it despite not having the family upbringing.

Risk taking attitude I would say is the hardest to teach and probably born rather than learnt. There are smart and hardworking people who will keep themselves ten feet pole away from any entrepreneurship.
Great post. Most things can definitely be learned; stuff like sales, coding, playing an instrument, speed reading, public speaking, leadership, communication, logical thinking etc. All those things can be learned. Sure, some people may have a head start in some aspects because of their upbringing(back to your point), which means that if someone starts a company at 18 but they've done B2B sales since they were 13, their chance of success has increased tremendously because they understand the game. That guy may be a millionaire in less than 2-3 years because of his skills. That's usually what you don't see with these "overnight" successes, there are so many things going on in the background.

Greg Black

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
325%
Aug 24, 2016
Bournemouth, UK.
You absolutely don't have to be born a natural entrepreneur. Sure it makes things easier, but it is not essential. Especially with the internet and technology, it is easier for all types of people to find success. I am an introvert and definitely not a "natural" entrepreneur. I found business success (after plenty of failure and frustration). What I have learnt to be the most important thing is to really understand your strengths and then play to them. Don't copy what others have done, find your own path and approach where you leverage your strengths.

RoadTrip

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 27, 2012
I get what you mean, the top top .1% in sports probably has something extra, some dna or proficiency in talent that gives them an edge to be the greatest. However what about the division 1-3 college athlete or the last guy in the bench in the NBA? Are they all born with extra talent in their blood? Or did hard work get them there?

Again, I pose that your original question is worded incorrectly.

You might also like this video.

View: https://youtu.be/3LopI4YeC4I
This is a great share. I think he's right. Luck definitely plays a role in success. If everything is equal, working hard comes first and luck comes second. You have to work hard to increase your chances of luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.