The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

(Introvert here) Finally introducing myself after joining two days ago

David H

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 23, 2020
United States, California
There are more introverts all around us then most realize. I have been mistaken over my years at work by quite a few as extroverted because I like to mentor and connect people, but I am quite firmly in the introverted camp. Some people are like a 45/55 split, but for me, it's not even close :)

@Chasta_tea As you're a reader, if you haven't already read Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, you may enjoy it!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Chasta_tea

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
507%
Jun 30, 2020
United States
There are more introverts all around us then most realize. I have been mistaken over my years at work by quite a few as extroverted because I like to mentor and connect people, but I am quite firmly in the introverted camp. Some people are like a 45/55 split, but for me, it's not even close :)

@Chasta_tea As you're a reader, if you haven't already read Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, you may enjoy it!
[/QUOT

Hi @David H!
Lol, I fully relate!! I think its fantastic that you are drawn out of the introvert "shell" to make such an awesome impact on the lives of those around you by serving as a mentor and point of connection.

Thanks so much for the fantastic book suggestion! I just downloaded the audiobook version and plan on getting started tonight. For the last 2 days, I've been in a quandary over which topic/book to check out next so this suggestion was right on time!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Chasta_tea

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
507%
Jun 30, 2020
United States
Check out “Give and Take” by Adam Grant.

Maybe also listen to the chat I had with @Kak too. I’d be an introvert but over the years I’ve figured out people open up like flowers if you give them genuine attention:
Thanks @Andy Black for the excellent book recommendation! I’ll start into Give and Take as soon as I finish “Quiet: The Power of Introverts”. I’m loving this build of “knowledge wealth” :)

I also listened to the chat between you and @Kak and, I’ll just say, that was a real smorgasbord of information! Right off the bat, when you started in with “Get going; just start and you will learn as you go along,” I knew I would be in for a treat. I suffer from the dreaded analysis paralysis and find that, all the while, the hardest part was just getting started and the results help you to figure out how to go forward like @Kak mentioned.

Listening to this discussion has helped me to understand why I was pushed from Customer Service into Sales. The magic of building legitimate relationships through authenticity and genuine interest is the most important thing in business as @Kak mentioned. I remember the decision I took of starting where I was and that was with the customers I could impact while on the job in my Customer Service position. This is why, I too, identify with the Mother Teresa quote you mentioned.

Thanks so much again for sharing this @Andy Black!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks @Andy Black for the excellent book recommendation! I’ll start into Give and Take as soon as I finish “Quiet: The Power of Introverts”. I’m loving this build of “knowledge wealth” :)

I also listened to the chat between you and @Kak and, I’ll just say, that was a real smorgasbord of information! Right off the bat, when you started in with “Get going; just start and you will learn as you go along,” I knew I would be in for a treat. I suffer from the dreaded analysis paralysis and find that, all the while, the hardest part was just getting started and the results help you to figure out how to go forward like @Kak mentioned.

Listening to this discussion has helped me to understand why I was pushed from Customer Service into Sales. The magic of building legitimate relationships through authenticity and genuine interest is the most important thing in business as @Kak mentioned. I remember the decision I took of starting where I was and that was with the customers I could impact while on the job in my Customer Service position. This is why, I too, identify with the Mother Teresa quote you mentioned.

Thanks so much again for sharing this @Andy Black!
Thanks for listening, and thanks for the feedback too!

I like a bit of knowledge acquisition too, but remember:

"You can't invoice for input" (Blaise Brosnan)

^^^ Yes, I'm a fanboy.

I'm curious what you make of these:

mssharlenes

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 11, 2020
Vancouver, Canada
Thank you so much Beckit! Being an introvert and not one to boast, I’ve not had very many opportunities to share my journey. I sincerely thank you for the appreciation and the opportunity to self-reflect on my accomplishments thus far. :)
I would love for any current or future Customer Service Reps to feel inspired by my journey so I will share as concisely as I can and could expound where interested.

To start, I will say that my customer service career began in the manufacturing industry where my role was fairly typical: process customer orders and respond to customer inquiries via phone and email. I was making around 30k/year and could just barely make ends meet being the sole financial provider for my child. That’s when I turned to entrepreneurial self-help books to set out to escape the corporate world and make a better life for myself and my child. However, it was within these books that I discovered that I needed to start where I was at: in my Customer Service Representative role.

I began to build trust with the customers - During complaint calls rather than zone out and surf the internet like I used to do, I began to actively listen, paraphrase the caller’s complaint and would never disagree with the caller’s perspective or point of view or events which transpired leading up to the complaint. I utilized empathy in acknowledging the customer’s feelings. For complaint emails received, I would acknowledge receipt of the email within 5 minutes, thanking the customer for taking the time to submit their complaint in writing.

I worked to build trust with colleagues - Even on days where I had to fight to get my son out of bed and off to school, I arrived into work grateful to be there. I greeted every colleague I came across with a warm greeting giving space to those I knew weren’t morning people so as not to be overbearing. I was professional and courteous in every interaction knowing the more easier I was to work with, the quicker I could resolve customer issues by contributing to a harmonious work environment.

I found ways to be proactive - Unfortunately, no matter how polite one can be with a customer, several repeated offenses of late shipments, is enough to drive any customer away. So on Saturday mornings I would bring my son (and his portable TV and Xbox) with me to work to create an intense customer record filing system. My intent was to position myself to be able to foresee customers’ orders who were in jeopardy of being late, priced incorrectly, etc. This is when the magic began to happen.

I was courageous
- Being an introvert, I was generally too timid to speak up during weekly production & planning meetings. However, after discovering many concerns during my Saturday customer records organizing sessions, I knew I had to arrive at the meetings as an advocate for the customer. I would bring a list of questions to present to the production team about potential customer order issues. I would create action items from the meetings and follow up afterwards. It was at these meetings that I began to catch the attention of executive leadership members who were in attendance. There were often times the CEO would sit in and listen as well.

Achieving my first $100,000+ - After a few months of maintaining this level of being proactive and vocally voicing concerns, customers began emailing and calling to say what a huge difference I had made in diminishing their delivery issues. I also received a forwarded email from an executive team member who received an email from a Tier A customer advising that earlier, he had decided to pull his million dollars worth of business after several consecutive instances of late or missed shipments. The customer named me in the email giving me full credit for the reason he had decided not to pull his business. It was then that the executive leadership team presented me with a bonus pushing my income that year to just over $110,000. From there, the executive leadership team asked me to sit in on various other organizational meetings for my insight on things. A few other bonuses later and now here I am in my new role on the Sales team. :)
Hi @Chasta_tea from a fellow introvert! Thank you for sharing a bit about your journey. You've shared some really helpful tips, and from everyone's enthusiastic replies, I wonder if there's a business opportunity for you here...!

Chasta_tea

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
507%
Jun 30, 2020
United States
Hi @Chasta_tea from a fellow introvert! Thank you for sharing a bit about your journey. You've shared some really helpful tips, and from everyone's enthusiastic replies, I wonder if there's a business opportunity for you here...!
Hi @mssharlenes and fellow introvert! Thank you for taking the time to read through! I can't begin to say how thankful I am to have discovered the TFM and The Fastlane Forum. I'm beginning to see that opportunities abound all around and are closer than we think! :)

Chasta_tea

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
507%
Jun 30, 2020
United States
Thanks for listening, and thanks for the feedback too!

I like a bit of knowledge acquisition too, but remember:

"You can't invoice for input" (Blaise Brosnan)

^^^ Yes, I'm a fanboy.

I'm curious what you make of these:
Hi @Andy Black, Now if that isn't a phrase to live by! "You can't invoice for input" Awesome!! I would say that not only can you not invoice for input, sometimes the "input" stage can be wrought with pain, difficulty and uncertainty. Many of us have "input" scars (insecurities, fear, loss, etc.) from life's many battles. These scars help shape and define who we are. I would encourage anyone in a rut to keep fighting. Endure the pain and trust the process. Surround yourself with others who will fight with you and on your behalf. This is what I love the most about this forum. Being in a think tank of sorts and connecting with amazing people who share the same goal of improving the lives of others while potentially creating new job opportunities along the way.

On that note, I will happily check out those other 3 sources and let you know my thoughts. Thank you for sharing!!

tonibob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jun 22, 2020
London
Welcome. You’re in good company for many reasons. I do believe there was a poll a while back and most forum members were introverted?
@Andy Black I believe the rise of Social Media has shown this as well. Take Facebook, it was created by Introverts! Introverts share a lot easier when there is no-one watching, when they don't have to have an eye contact etc. I think also a lot of the great Entrepreneurs are Introverts - Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Elon Musk to name a few. Tech world is kind of Introverts kingdom. Funny enough I have been more than 25 years in this field, but I am big Extrovert, maybe that is why I can not focus on anything and haven't successfully made yet! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Talk about "meant to know each other". @Bekit and @Chasta_tea connection right there is amazing.

One of those moments in life that I am grateful to witness.
--
Document your sale journey. I think a lot of value can come out of it.

Chasta_tea

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
507%
Jun 30, 2020
United States
Talk about "meant to know each other". @Bekit and @Chasta_tea connection right there is amazing.

One of those moments in life that I am grateful to witness.
--
Document your sale journey. I think a lot of value can come out of it.
Those are fine words of advice @S.Y. and I greatly appreciate you taking the time to read through! :)

Chasta_tea

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
507%
Jun 30, 2020
United States
Hey fellow introvert nice to meet you. I just joined and still haven’t given my introduction yet.
Welcome to the forum @Chinitha! It's never too late to introduce yourself and I'm sure you bring a special set of knowledge which anyone of us here could benefit from! :)

Sethamus

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Sep 13, 2019
Northshore area, New Orleans
Sounds like you need to document in more detail everything expressed here and look into the possibilities of creating a course or writing a book for customer service reps. Go into these big corporate environments "teaching" Tony Robbins/Jocko Willink style.

Chasta_tea

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
507%
Jun 30, 2020
United States
Sounds like you need to document in more detail everything expressed here and look into the possibilities of creating a course or writing a book for customer service reps. Go into these big corporate environments "teaching" Tony Robbins/Jocko Willink style.

Chasta_tea

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
507%
Jun 30, 2020
United States
Hi @Sethamus! Wow, it is so interesting you say that since some of my colleagues used to joke that I "wrote the book on excellent customer service" lol. I honestly never thought twice about writing a course or book since I used to think (and I know this sounds bad) that there was nothing special about Customer Service. ☹

I have an old Customer Service resume out there on a few different job search sites which I haven't had a chance to take down. What's amazing is that quite regularly (meaning once or twice a week), I'll get a recruiter offering me a couple hundred dollars for a Customer Service vacancy if I refer them someone who would perform in the same capacity as indicated on my resume. Honestly, I would laugh it off and joke to myself that I can’t train every single Customer Service Representative in the world to do what I did.

Now @Sethamus, you’ve got the wheels turning and now I’m wondering “Well, what if I could?” What if I could create some sort of course where individuals could take and receive a certification of some sort and “skip the line” so to speak to be at the head of the Customer Service candidate line? What if when that recruiter reaches out to me offering me $200 for a good candidate that I could respond to that email and say “Why yes, I have a treasure trove of candidates who have successfully passed my Customer Service course and are available to work today!”

I turn on the news and see the growing number of unemployed and, being the sensitive/emotional person that I am, it drives me to tears. I want to do something to help someone who is unemployed so bad. Where Customer Service Rep jobs were once plentiful, there is probably considerable competition now. And, if I personally know what it takes to excel as a Customer Service Rep then it almost feels like a call of duty to get this documented somewhere.

Geez @Sethamus, I owe you a coffee. lol

Chasta_tea

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
507%
Jun 30, 2020
United States
I'll remember that at next years summit, would love to see you there...maybe presenting lol.
I'm sure @Bekit can talk you into that one.
Thanks @Sethamus!! I would LOVE the opportunity to go to the summit next year. Really hoping the pandemic doesn't affect the timing. I might pass out from stage fright though if I present. lol I guess I could try to channel my inner Tony Robbins in the upcoming months. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...