The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Insurance

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I've got a couple questions about some insurance...I'll present a scenario that might better explain my question.

Real estate portfolio consists of 15+ residential properties, 7 to 8 of which are adjoining (one square block). The other 8 or so are in a different location a few miles away. In Florida, adjoining properties warrant a commercial insurance policy. This of course is a lot more costly than a typical individual residential policy. This is also only in effect if all of the above properties are held in the same name (ownership).

My questions is this.

If these properties are being held by an individual, there are obvious advantages for protection/taxes by holding them in an LLC, right? If an LLC were formed to buy and hold, all properties would immediately be viewed as one entity. This would also call for a commercial policy that is triple the current insurance cost. The issue at hand is the advantages will cost more in insurance than they are worth, due to mandatory laws. It seems like it might be best to open several entities to hold the properties in small groups. The numbers just don't make sense, i.e. it might cause 15 cashflowing properties to come up negative for many years. Some may say they were bought wrong. I don't agree with that, as insurance rates in Florida have gone nuts due to hurricanes, not insufficient due dilligence on buying right.

Ideas on how to best deal with this situation? It seems like I'm missing something here. If this is to vague, I can provide more details, I was just trying to make it short.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RealOG

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 20, 2007
Austin, Texas, United States
What are the costs for entities where you are? In CA, an LLC will run you a minimum of $500 a year. Not sure about FL, but those costs combined with creation costs will probably put the expense of seperate entities above the expense of a commercial insurance.

You might have to bite the bullet and not cut corners. I am all for saving a buck, but insurance is one of those things where you get what you pay for.

Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.