The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Importing from Canada to US - FDA Regulated

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

VisionNN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Mar 6, 2016
Hey everyone,

Does anyone here have experience importing products that are FDA regulated into the US from Canada? Does everyone just use a customs broker and call it a day or has anyone actually done it themselves? What is the process like?

Have been reading a lot on it and it definitely seems like a job for a customs broker but im not ready to give up yet.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
I would definitely get a customs broker for that. It's a small fee for sleeping soundly at night.

Rules are constantly changing, and unless you have training on being a customs broker, hand off that work to them. You don't want to get caught with your pants down.

VisionNN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Mar 6, 2016
I would definitely get a customs broker for that. It's a small fee for sleeping soundly at night.

Rules are constantly changing, and unless you have training on being a customs broker, hand off that work to them. You don't want to get caught with your pants down.

Valid point. Any ideas on how the cost is calculated or what kind of cost i can anticipate for a broker? I have a meeting with an FDA broker on Monday and want to know if im being hosed or not on the cost.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
I'm not totally sure to be honest. You could maybe shop around a bit by visiting the US customs and border protection website and get a few quotes from different brokers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
U.S. Customs and Border Protection said:
For example, questions about products regulated by the Food and Drug Administration should be forwarded to the nearest FDA district office (check local phone book under U.S. government listings) or to the Import Division, FDA Headquarters, 301.443.6553.

Personal Importation

Basic Importing and Exporting | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

How to Import from Canada Into the United States - Flexport

What type of product are your importing? Food? Drugs? Cosmetics? Medical equipment?

I have no experience here, but some quick research leads me to suggest that there is ample information on the web to figure it out yourself. Alternatively, hire a well reputed broker and call it a day. It still would not hurt to educate yourself and do your due diligence.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.