The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Importing from Canada to US - FDA Regulated

VisionNN

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 6, 2016
Hey everyone,

Does anyone here have experience importing products that are FDA regulated into the US from Canada? Does everyone just use a customs broker and call it a day or has anyone actually done it themselves? What is the process like?

Have been reading a lot on it and it definitely seems like a job for a customs broker but im not ready to give up yet.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 7, 2015
I would definitely get a customs broker for that. It's a small fee for sleeping soundly at night.

Rules are constantly changing, and unless you have training on being a customs broker, hand off that work to them. You don't want to get caught with your pants down.

OP
OP
VisionNN

VisionNN

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 6, 2016
I would definitely get a customs broker for that. It's a small fee for sleeping soundly at night.

Rules are constantly changing, and unless you have training on being a customs broker, hand off that work to them. You don't want to get caught with your pants down.
Valid point. Any ideas on how the cost is calculated or what kind of cost i can anticipate for a broker? I have a meeting with an FDA broker on Monday and want to know if im being hosed or not on the cost.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 7, 2015
I'm not totally sure to be honest. You could maybe shop around a bit by visiting the US customs and border protection website and get a few quotes from different brokers.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
U.S. Customs and Border Protection said:
For example, questions about products regulated by the Food and Drug Administration should be forwarded to the nearest FDA district office (check local phone book under U.S. government listings) or to the Import Division, FDA Headquarters, 301.443.6553.
Personal Importation

Basic Importing and Exporting | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

How to Import from Canada Into the United States - Flexport

What type of product are your importing? Food? Drugs? Cosmetics? Medical equipment?

I have no experience here, but some quick research leads me to suggest that there is ample information on the web to figure it out yourself. Alternatively, hire a well reputed broker and call it a day. It still would not hurt to educate yourself and do your due diligence.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
I really enjoyed the course actually. It's exactly what's needed to set off in the part-time freelancing direction. Taken a few courses before...
Replies
Views
Top Bottom