The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm interested in being someone's apprentice before buying their business. Where can I get a deal like that?

Anything related to matters of the mind

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
I have no actual operating experience in business.

After my exam was postponed for the 349874th time due to this pandemic (it's now in Oct, but I don't want to keep studying)..

I would like to start my entrepreneurial journey NOW.

I have been doing some reading, and thinking..
The idea of buying a (small) business (I'm not greedy) to get some actual operating experience seems more ideal to me at this point than to try and start something from scratch.

IDEALLY, I'd like to be someone's apprentice and work for them as a manager just to learn the ropes, and feel out the business for myself and see for myself I'm getting what is advertised.

Where can I get a deal like that?
And anything I should be aware of in particular before I dip my toes into something like this?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

FMJJ

Scaling eCom Brands
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,821%
Dec 26, 2017
Miami Beach, FL

After my exam was postponed for the 349874th time due to this pandemic (it's now in Oct, but I don't want to keep studying)..

The idea of buying a (small) business (I'm not greedy) to get some actual operating experience seems more ideal to me at this point than to try and start something from scratch.

IDEALLY, I'd like to be someone's apprentice and work for them as a manager just to learn the ropes, and feel out the business for myself and see for myself I'm getting what is advertised.

And anything I should be aware of in particular before I dip my toes into something like this?

Thanks!

If you're looking to work with anyone specific, you can literally just message them. You just have to offer some form of value. In my personal experience before I started entrepreneurship, I emailed a YouTuber with over 1 million subscribers who was in my area traveling. I proposed to work for him as a camera man for free while he was in the area. He got back to me and said he probably wouldn't need me as a camera man, but he appreciated the offer. He took down my number I provided in the email just in case. To my surprise, he texted me the next day. Long story short, I worked for him as a camera man for a day and made some pretty high profile contacts. He even paid me out of generosity. That was one of the best days of my life.

Last edited:

juresesko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 10, 2020
Slovenia
Well at first I thought the same.
But that was just my comfortzone talking.
I wanted to have someone above me to teach me.
But here are a few problems:
You will spend many years creating a connection with your boss
Bosses have a lot of things on their mind and they don't need another thing to think about.
They don't care about you they care about their business.

Going to work for someone else and thinking that you will become a business man is action faking.
You just have to do it.

The first option you stated buying a biz is a lot better than going to someone else.
Why wouldn't you try and build your own. You will have to do it sooner or later, or are you thinking that this is to big for you.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Several reasons off the top of my head.

-I don't really have any SOLID ideas yet, something I'm adequately confident will be a success and that I'm interested in personally enough to drive it to uber successful heights.
-I'm on no pay leave right now (don't even know how long it will last) and it just rammed home how important an alternative income source is.
-Yes I know I can lose even if I buy a business, but the relative risk of starting your own vs buying an existing already profitable one seems less risky, and if I have the cash up front for it, why not?

FMJJ

Scaling eCom Brands
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,821%
Dec 26, 2017
Miami Beach, FL
Several reasons off the top of my head.

-I don't really have any SOLID ideas yet, something I'm adequately confident will be a success and that I'm interested in personally enough to drive it to uber successful heights.
-I'm on no pay leave right now (don't even know how long it will last) and it just rammed home how important an alternative income source is.
-Yes I know I can lose even if I buy a business, but the relative risk of starting your own vs buying an existing already profitable one seems less risky, and if I have the cash up front for it, why not?

Buying a business to start your entrepreneurial journey may be counter productive. It's possible though. I don't wanna take it off the table completely. This is just my opinion, but I find that creating your own business does a lot more for learning than buying one. Yeah, if you create your own business, it might fail. That's the beauty of entrepreneurship, you learn from your failures. Failure is the sweat of entrepreneurs, and the most successful are SOAKING WET. Reading is a great way to fail less though. TMF and Unscripted were great reads for me.

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
I see what you're saying.
I guess trying to get some cash flow right now takes priority though. Not having cash flow affects my confidence, which in turn affects my creativity and risk tolerance for entrepreneurship.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

Thanks!
Find an industry that have a lot of old people wanting to sell their business.

Then work for one company in that industry. Even the owner of the company you work for is not selling the business, you would have gained the experience to give you confidence to buy over other similar business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.