The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm going to wash windows for money tomorrow for the first time in my life. Any tips?

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
630%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Let me tell you the most important thing I wish I realized at 16.

It might seem crazy now...but

$1000 a day is easy.

You should say it to yourself until you believe it, because it's what kept me from being a lot more successful when I was 16.

Raise your expectations. Not expectations of results from poor effort, but expectations of yourself to go out and do what it takes until the results are high enough.

Make a high goal, do the math and then go hit it. You will have a different attitude to you, you'll walk like you've got someplace to be.

1000/day

charge 175 a house

do 6 houses a day.

put together a killer script and pitch it to people on here and get feedback

save up money to get a logo on a polo

say "I'm gonna do it pro from the get go" and go be a professional. Pro's make all the money.

wake up and say "I am going to be excellent at what I do today". Everyone will look at you and think "F*ck, I wish I had what that kid's got when I was his age".

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Work into your sales pitch the reason why you are doing this. "I'm saving for a car" or "I'm saving money for college".

That will switch the prospect focus from "do I need my windows washed" to "should I reward this kid's moxie", and you should get more yesses.

Good luck. Let us know how many people say yes.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Mission Report

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went out and went inside like 8 shops and the 9th shop let me do the windows. I was kinda struggling so far so I said "I'll do all the outside windows for 10€" and she accepted. I did all of them and she gave me 10€ as a tip! So basically 20€ for an hour of work! I feel so good right now! The only bad feeling I have is the fact that I forgot one of my micro fibre towels xDD
(it was only a cheap one though so no worry).
Something that I faced a lot from the stores were these:

• "The buisiness owner isn't here"
  • "We already have a window cleaner (sometimes they were doing it themselves)"
Do you guys perhaps have an idea on how to solve these?
I already kinda have vague ideas but I wanted to hear your guys' takes on it.

Now I'll have to do school shit though. Got a test tomorrow...

I think this was all I wanted to say?
Thank you guys so much for all the help!
All of your guys' supportive expectations really kicked me in the a$$ sometimes and got me going.
Thanks!

(Btw, before I went out, my mum said (I tried to leave the convo asap btw): "You'll have no luck here. Perhaps in city "x" which is in another state, but not here". I proved her WRONG. F*ck yes)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Another little update...

Today I went d2d and knocked on 67 houses.

I woke up and was slightly uneasy at the idea of d2d. 8am, I stayed in bed for over an hour. It was raining but I promised everyone in Subsonic's meet up and @ZCP that I'd go today and tomorrow too. I knew that I bringing all my equip would be stupid and decided to just go bare handed with a clipboard.
Because you see, I recently went charity-knocking for my choir and they used one too.

But how was I about to pitch?
I once again remembered back to the charity-knocking. My colleague who pitched with me was just someone who sang (duh) and didn't go d2d regularly and his pitch was sooo simple.

"Hello, we're raising money for our choir. It's a youth-campaign by our government bla bla bla would you like to donate?"

And it worked.

So I thought why not just try it myself? Plain simple? I also remembered back to a saying which I think Jeffrey Gitomer might've said: "With each no, you get closer to a yes".

So coming back to how it went;
I didn't have a clipboard at home so I just decided to buy one on the way.
However I only noticed that we have a holiday today (Karfreitag) after standing in front of the aforementioned store and everything was closed lmfao :rofl:
Thankfully I was smart though; I brought a small scribbling pad with me which I decided to use as a substitute.

So where was I now to go? I scouted my area on google earth last year and remembered a good neighbourhood complex with single family homes so I went there.

It was still slightly raining.
I knocked the first door and asked why there were 2 blue sheep on the roof and got going.

I knocked and knocked, many nice encounters here and there too. I also found myself actually having relatively much to talk about which surprised me.
I think not having these crazy expectations of myself really lifted a burden off me and allowed to me flow more naturally (something which I achieved btw!! @Simon Angel, you're truly an angel ;)).

So I'll cut straight to the chase:

Sadly didn't chat up any cute girls, but I scheduled a 192€ job in April and have someone evaluating a 216€ job!

What the hell?

It actually became kinda fun after the first 20-30 doors and the only thing that stopped me was my laziness and my hands freezing :rofl:. Okay, I wouldn't consider knocking "only" 67 doors in the cold rain to be lazy, but you get what I mean.

And you know what? It was pouring down from the sky the whole time while pitching!

Oh and I also started counting the knocks btw which I think really motivated me and is why I can exactly tell you how many houses I knocked.

I think I knocked for 2 hours which basically means that I spent a little less than 2 minutes for each knock.

Anyways, this battle is still not won. Tomorrow is still another siege to carry out and I also still need to swindle GMB on approving my business (btw thanks for @perchboy and @constant for giving me tips!).

Obviously also thanks to everyone else (too many people to ping :)!

Just one of the many pages I filled out
IMG_20240329_152359_3012.jpg

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
UPADET

I MADE 145€ TODAY!!!!!!!

I asked my dad and he said he could drive me, later then said that he didn't have enough time to drop me into City-1 because of an appointement in City-2. I asked him if he could drop me off in City-2 and so he did. I was kinda slightly scared/excited again (I don't know why) and I did my pitches, laughed with people, concentrated on the conversations, body language, etc.

The first job was from a pretty lady and I did her front windows in her shop. I counted 8 windows and told her each window was 2-3€ or something. Turned out, it was actually 10 windows lol. Anyways quickly did the job and got some nice 25€.

I pitched a glasses shop and joked that I wasn't here because of my own glasses, then a funny misunderstanding came, etc. I think I quoted the job inside and outside for 84€. He told me he'd ask the manager/boss.

Then there was a restaurant for which I'll get 70€ (iirc) for the outside windows. I'm supposed to come next Monday.

Then I went into another shop and something very interesting happened. It was an Italian-like restaurant and the owner was like in his 20s lol. He was similar to the shisha bar guy, aka probably Albanian/Italian or something in that direction and I pitched him my story (although not as intensely as the shisha guy lmfao) and left my number. The interesting thing was that the waiters were like totally on my side. They tried to persuade/help the boss with me, and it was really interesting. I wonder why. Was it because I was so young and ambitious or do I just have some serious rizz?
I went into the shop next door, got rejected and then immediately called by the Italian rest. owner.
I went into his rest. and he gave me this offer:
-Every 2 weeks go to one of the franchise locations and clean windows inside and out.
-60€, pay can be talked about, but first wants to see my work/reliability
-Also clean 2 fresh looking mirrors.
The way he told me and showed me the offer was kinda scary haha. We went into the cellar and I was scared I'd get human trafficked haha. The cellar looked really slick and expensive, the 2 mirrors were there.
I'm still thinking about it.
He also said that he has many connections, interesting. What do you think?
One of the waiters offered me a capuccino (how tf you write that word lol) and I thankfully declined.
I also feel like I slowly get the mentality of the "Shisha-owner"-customer.
This is just really rough and vague, but I believe that they like a certain narrative (helping the hustling boy) and offering me an offer that's not too good in my view but they think they helped me despite the fact that the pay is comparitively low ("but good for a 16yo").
Or in other words, fire the normie window cleaner and replace with the hustling boy, but pay him slightly less, but still feeling great and having got a great deal for yourself.
That's just a theory though. Moving on to the magnum opus of this post! -->

Then I was walking around and a Thai lady (again lol) approached me. She wanted to get her residential windows be done. She was really supportive, asking me my age and then praising me.
Anyways, we arrived at her quite impressive flat and asked me to do the windows. The windows were probably 5 meters high, on a motherfucking balcony and SIDEWAYS. The railing on the balconey was as big as your average 1st grader... I needed to use their ladder and honestly didn't have the perfect tools. (I sure need to get a Moerman Excelerator soon...) Considering it was the 3rd or 4th floor, I'd be absolutely F*cked if I fell down. Oh, the sun was also DIRECTLY shining at the window. I mean like, the frickn ANGLE of the SUN was PARRALLEL TO THE GLASS. That's not good, the soap and water dries at the glass.
I was sweating really bad because of the sun and the fact that it was really tedious and, well, trying to not fall off the ladder.
I spent 3 hours on like 12 windows. 3 hours. Either way I got it finished and got 120€.

Total: 145€

I feel so frickn good right now.
I feel like my personality is thriving right now.

Thank you guys for all the encouragement and help!!!!
This is awesome, for some reason I didn't see your €100 update.
Hm, weird. @heavy_industry also hasn't reacted ever since... I'm glad you saw it now though!
First let me say well done for sticking to the process, it sounds like you are learning valuable lessons along the way. Not just about the business of cleaning itself, but also about building relationships and organising your business (definitely take Bizydad's advice about using your phones appointment features).

As far as the job is concerned, it sounds like it would have taken too much time and net you less money than sticking with what you're doing at the moment. The next time you get offered something like that, make a counter-offer based on terms more favourable to you.

So for instance, if someone is offering you €13.50 per hour for six hours on a Saturday, you could remind them you have other clients and offer them a shorter amount of time, or increased rate. You need to work out what your ideal daily rate is, can you replicate that one hundred euro day? can you beat it? If someone wants to take up your whole day, don't be afraid at telling them what your day rate is. If they can't afford it, perhaps you can offer a reduced rate on a contract basis, so if they agree to use you for a certain amount of time, you will reduce by a small percentage.

Lastly when you're on the bus, people are more likely to be thinking "Wow! That kid is so ambitious he doesn't wait till he can drive to start his business. Man, what am I doing with my life?"

Seriously don't worry about it and even if they are judging you, so what? It's a silent judgement you'll never hear and will not affect you one little bit.

A famous man once said, "you'll stop caring what people think about you, once you realise how little they do."
Thank you so much for the great advice! Yeah, you're right. Most people will know that I'm more hardworking than them (whether consciously or subconsiously) and might actually feel worse because of that. I'm not trying to say that I feel superior to the others btw.

Either way, next week are gonna be holidays.
3 WEEKS LONG.

Cya guys!

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
So tomorrow I'm going to try it. Knocking on peoples' doors and wash their outside windows.
There is just something that kind of bothers me:
-I'm going on foot (I'm just 16 so no car) and I wondered if I should just knock on peoples' doors with all my equip on my back/hands etc. Is this something to worry about (does that reduce my image? I kind of think so)?
-(related to first question ^) When I look like a one man army window cleaner, should I just be honest and tell them that I'm actually just working by myself instead of a company? I saw in pretty much all window cleaning videos that the solo workers basically always lie about being in a company.

I think these were my main concerns. Perhaps you have any answers to the above?
Also, any other tips are very welcomed.

Imma update you guys tomorrow on how it went!

Dude, if a 16 year old kid knocked on my door with a ladder and window washing equipment, I'd give him the job whether my windows needed it or not.

Youth gets a bad rap these days, so you'll probably find a lot of customers will have that reaction, there is something really wholesome about seeing a kid getting out there and making it.

No need to lie, just be yourself, be friendly and outgoing, do a good job and try and go that extra mile and you'll find that your customers will give you referrals.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
YOO OMGHAG GAJ G HJSG HIOGAS OIJUHASG JOHASG JHOASG OHIJU
spgijoas pojdgapjo asgpjklo apjo pjoia fjpoi

I MADE OVER 100€ TODAY!!!!!

I'd like to thank everybody who helped me reach this massive milestone.
*takes a sip of wine*

Okay jokes aside!

Here's what happened:
I went outside in my city, to the center. I asked a thai massage lady and she gave me a job for 15€.
While doing the exterior windows, another lady (customer) came and asked me for my number :smuggy: (and I gave her a call later and it looks good, she'll give more info soon on the potential residential job). She gave me a 5€ tip (in total: 20€). I think she wanted another job in a month.

Then I went to the carpet (cleaner, idk?) and I got a job for 25€. He asked me to hurry and started cleaning the windows with me (LOLOLOL). He also gave me a 5€ tip (total 30€)!
I don't remember what he said about me visiting him again, however I'll just go see him again when I see the Thai lady.

Then I went to a burger place and the owner wasn't there. The worker told me that I could do the exterior windows for 10€ but I insisted on 15€. I'm gonna go there next Tuesday when the chef's there.

After that I went to nail-thingy and got a job for 15€. While doing it, another shop owner saw me and asked me to do her windows. Finished it and got a 2€ tip lol (total: 17€). I think I should come back in 2-4 months or so?

Then I went to the other lady and did the job for 15€ bucks. She was also pleased and didn't give me a tip tho (total: 15€).

After that I noticed that my bucket was F*cking filthy and I went to the town center's toilets (ABSOLUTELY ABYSMALLY DISGUSTING TOILETS, the school toilets seem like pure luxus in contrast).
There, I wanted to fill my water back up but the sink was too small so I shoveled it into my bucket and tried other weird shit haha. Then an old man came in (I felt like he didn't even know I was in there when he walked past me) and I decided that it was enough lmfao.

Then I went to the historical part of the city and pretty much all shops were closed there by the time.
I saw a hookah (or shisha) bar and asked there. It said "Entry only for 18+" but I went in anyways. I said 25€ but he didn't accept, I lowered to 20€ then, same case. I then went to the partner/twin club thingy and when I got rejected and walked out, the shisha guy approached me. He asked why I was doing it.
I explained my dramatic background as a Mongolian child warrior (I actually told him my actual reason) and I got him on my hook. He was still sceptical since he didn't know if I was really professional and I lowered his risk by saying "You don't have to pay me if I do a bad job" and he INSTANTLY accepted it. I kinda struggled with those windows and thought to myself "Shit, these windows look worse than before lol". They were black tinted and had many cracks and whatnot.
I finished the job and he was amazed (apparently, maybe he just really roots for me?) and gave me 20€, although in ten 2€ coins, maybe he actually hates me? He told me to come back next week, same day!! (total: 20€)

ALL TOTAL: 102€ !!!

While scouting for another job (which I didn't find anymore) a man literally like drove up to me and wanted to give me a job:
"If you clean the entrance in my building every saturday, you'll get 13€ an hour".
I told him that the job was too far away and he told me that he'd even drive me!
He left me his information and we parted ways. He also told me that it'd probably take 6-7 hours and that we could talk about the pay (specifically after he's seen my work).
What do you guys think? I'm really not too sure on this.

Then I went home!

@Subsonic hear that ;) ?

Thank you guys for everything! It was really fun again and I'll definitely continue!!!

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
...And the second day is done!

Thank you guys so much for all the positive feedback I got!

But let's cut to the chase now:

Today I knocked on - wait lemme count first...

74 houses!

I finally bought myself a clipboard and a few cookies to keep me energised (no lunch) and started knocking straight away.
Once again nervous, but with each knock it got a lot better.

I'll keep it short; there were a few interested people, gave them my number and everything but nothing too serious.

Towards the end however I got an elderly married couple who seemed very interested and I think I sold really well to them. If they call back, it'll be a nice 156€ job.

There even was an elderly lady who had a cleaning maid but still insisted on somehow giving me a job/helping me financially. I told her she didn't have to do anything of the sort and after a few minutes, she let off haha. You meet really great people with d2d.

...and a bunch of grumpy/annoyed people but these are a very tiny minority (probably also due to my relatively casual/polite selling style).

I also tried to verify my GMB but I kept getting Error 429 and have issued a support-case or whatever the name is.

So how will it continue? I'll be gone for the whole next week and will have ZERO time for business or really much else tbh. However after that I'll have a whole week to work with!

Until then, friends!

Today's notes (+ means "interested" and/or gave them my number):
notes.jpg

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
So tomorrow I'm going to try it. Knocking on peoples' doors and wash their outside windows.
-I'm going on foot (I'm just 16 so no car) and I wondered if I should just knock on peoples' doors with all my equip on my back/hands etc. Is this something to worry about (does that reduce my image? I kind of think so)?
-(related to first question ^) When I look like a one man army window cleaner, should I just be honest and tell them that I'm actually just working by myself instead of a company? I saw in pretty much all window cleaning videos that the solo workers basically always lie about being in a company.

I think these were my main concerns. Perhaps you have any answers to the above?

Imma update you guys tomorrow on how it went!

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Introducing to you...

THE WINDOW WASHING MOBILE 1.0™
Window washing mobile.jpg

The newest addition to our warfleet...
Equipped with...

A TELECTSOPIC POLE!"!!!
A WATER BUCKET (12 LITERS I THINK)!!!
YEAH THAT'S IT!!!!!!!

Okay hehe, jokes aside now.

Today I woke up (late, not as planned) with nowhere planned to go and was "action faking" (well, I mean, this isn't totally action faking right? Right???).
The bike attachment is made out of cable ties, an old ikea drawer from my childhood (green), my water bucket (blue), my telescopic pole and "that elastic string with a hook" (that holds the bucket).
I think I would have died of cringe if I didn't do at least something slightly productive and with @Prdgy's idea of getting a transport-vehicle in mind that I wasn't able to shake off ever since, I guess the bike just happened?
I gotta say though, MAN DOES IT LOOK CHEAP HOLY F*ck BAHAHAHA.

"Hey bro, I recently got myself a bike basket. Really loved to do grocery shopping ever since!"
"Oh really? I have one too!"
"Oh yeah? Cool! Show me a pic!"
*shows him this F*cking picture ^*

Although despite it looking really cheap, I'm kinda worried how it will hold together, especially since I have a 90€ job tomorrow and wonder if it will survive the bumpy way to the neighbouring city.

We'll find out!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
554%
Apr 17, 2022
When I look like a one man army window cleaner, should I just be honest and tell them that I'm actually just working by myself instead of a company? I saw in pretty much all window cleaning videos that the solo workers basically always lie about being in a company.
Do not lie.

Good luck with this activity! It's awesome that you're taking action instead of playing video games and wasting time like your peers.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
You don't need to lie about anything.

If you knock on my door I can see perfectly well that you are a school kid which explains why you have all your equipment with you. It also means I totally understand that you are in my area right now, are a local kid and can do all the windows for less than a company would charge.

Unless you are planning to charge me a lot you really hardly have to say much at all. Just a simple transactional conversation.

Dan

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Hm, might just be my insecurities kicking in, but I'm a bit sceptic towards this because I think the German attitude is a bit different. I feel like most of us are grumpy and "strict" by default.
I'm going to find out more in the future anyways!

Let me tell you a story.

When I was around your age, maybe a little older 17 or 18, there was a girl that hung out in my group of friends. She was so gorgeous and a really beautiful person on the inside, I was besotted with her.

I got butterflies in my stomach when she spoke to me and I used to fantasise about asking her out and her saying yes, but I knew that she was too beautiful for me, she was a 10 and I was a 6, so no need to humiliate myself by actually asking her out.

Just be content that she's your friend and she likes you.

Then another (much better looking and richer) friend of mine went out with her and I genuinely put feelings for her aside, I never fantasised about her again and I moved on.

Years later in my twenties I was speaking with the friend who went out with the girl. I told him that before he went out with her, I was obsessed with her.

You know what he told me?

He said that she once confided in him that she liked me, but didn't think I liked her back because I never made a move. ‍♂️

The moral of the story is; don't think you can know the minds of people. If you think they are grumpy and don't want to speak to you, then that is what you will encounter. I thought the girl was too beautiful for me, so she was. If I had just concentrated on myself and not tried to second guess her, I would have had a romantic relationship with her.

So don't worry about people not accepting you as you try and get your entrepreneurial journey started, just do it and don't try and second guess your potential clients.

I understand what you say about Germany being strict, my brother has lived there for forty years (ich spreche ein bissen Deutsch also) but always remember, you have a responsibility for your own actions and reactions, not the ones of other people. If you smile at someone and they don't smile back, that is fine because you are still you and you don't know why they haven't responded in kind, but don't let that stop you being yourself.

Also as a bonus tip, don't just focus on wealthy houses and remember that there are windows around the back you can't see.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
630%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
"Here I'll give you my number I'll text you with my name. What's your number?" *pulls out phone*

"are you a business?"
"yes it's just my name though"

some lines you can use:

*says any objection about anything*
"okay okay but what if it was the best service of your life and the best price ever and guaranteed you'd be satisfied? Obvious choice then right? *smiling and full of energy*

"I am raising money for poor teenagers. Their names are me, I'm the poor teenager".

you can literally say anything to people there's no real repercussions.

"did you know dirty windows causes cancer? it's true so for the low low price of $179 I can prevent you from getting cancer"

"we're cleaning windows but the price was so low people thought I was homeless that's why we raised the prices a bit"

bring a piece of paper and hold it up silently and it says "hello, I am deaf and raising money by cleaning windows" and make it awkward, and then burst out "I'm just kidding but I am washing windows can I get you a price?"

"here let me show you a sneak peek" *washes one inch of their window* "ah man you can't just let one little spot be clean it makes everything look like crap, might as well do the rest"

saw a video of a guy selling door to door and he says "we're giving discounts to (insert something you noticed about them like their clothes or style)" something like "we're giving discounts to tall guys with brown shirts, oh man looks like it's your lucky day". Absolutely a killer line steal that one all day.

you are not a window cleaner, you are an entertainer.

people do NOT think objectively and logically. They think "meh, F*ck this kid and whatever he's selling" or they think "HAHA :) SURE, I'LL BUY IT" and the actual consideration of "do I actually need my windows cleaned?" is like 10% of their mental focus. and those thoughts are driven by your energy + their mood. It's a battle of will. If you can transmit your energy and ideas into their head you will win more.

It's all emotion. embrace the absurdity.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
THE CROSSOVER IS HAPPENING

STARRING: @piano and @Subsonic

woooooshhhh

I met up with Subsonic in Frankfurt today.
Why?
He very desperately dm'ed me and told me that he'd commit a felony if I wouldn't help him.
I reacted with :Haha: to his dm and told him that I am the man.
We met up at Frankfurt Hbf and he came an hour late and went off with his car.
I quickly scouted the surrounding cities on Gmaps, found a pretty suburb and went there.

As we entered his car (that parked on an illegal spot :rofl:) I noticed his first flaw:
He dresses like a bum (sweatpants, some cloth jacket etc), or like a teenager would.
Anyways I told him some stuff and we arrived.
I'm not going into detail, but he did become better as we went on.
I got most of the leads (we both got 5 in total, but Subsonic believes it was 4) and he a few.
However no sale.
Although it shouldn't be surprising since we only arrived at like 7pm or smth and it was hella late.
Needless to say, I left him all the leads since that city was way too far away from me haha.
I realised that I'd need 2 hours to get home by train and so he drove me home (thanks!).
I gotta say tho, his driving skillz are kinda...

Well, it was pretty fun!

And to you Subsonic: Remember what I told you. Speak richer and maybe join a choir lol.

(Us on our way back, Frankfurt in the back)
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-20 at 21.14.09.jpeg

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
630%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I think it might be because I don't want to be know as the window cleaning kid in case I get "discovered" so to think.
as a joke I tell new people I mow lawns when they ask what I do.

It will get funnier and funnier the bigger we get. I dream in the future we have locations across the country, and someone asks what I do. "I mow lawns" "Oh, sorry to hear that" "It's okay, I enjoy it".

I would love it if people made fun of what I'm doing more. Imagine how you would feel if you drove around in a car with 1000hp but it looked normal, and someone with a mediocre sports car rolls up and starts talking shit. You would be so happy. You would hope it happened all the time. That's how you should feel about what you do. You hope people mock you for it. The only issue is YOU don't believe. If you did, you would love when people doubted you.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Mission report:

I left my house and got to the "rich area" (only I call it that).
I was walking with my extension pole and bucket in my hands and looked at the houses but didn't really spot many houses with dirty windows. When I spot a house with windows that I could fully reach (and sometimes slightly dirty) and didn't look like it was worth 5.000.000€, I knocked or ringed the door and waited. Out of perhaps 4-5 doors I approached, only 2 answered. Both were old grumpy German men (I feel like I'm going to see those a lot here...) and they easily warded me off. While walking around along those beautiful houses, I even saw a window cleaner. I think he used a Kärcher Squeegee? I didn't like him to say the least.
These houses were all so tidy. At leasted it looked to me like that from afar. I'm pretty sure that there's a lot of competition in my area since I live in a rather expensive area.
Well, I think I'd still call it a victory since I actually got my a$$ off my chair for once. I also saw some really dirty windows at a psychatry or whatever the English name for it is. Hell, I don't even know the German word for it lol.
Talking of storefronts, I think I should perhaps start there first? The residential houses here are pretty intimidating to me...

Well, I'm actually still kind of baffled tbh. This experience was pretty scary even though I was just walking around and knocking on a few doors.

So, I have a few questions that arised to me while walking around:
-Are the windows that look clean to me (from afar) actually all that clean? And if they are, should I just knock anyways?
-Should I try to start at storefronts first? These residential houses look intimidating, especially since I just started learning this monday lol.

I hope these were all the questions I had. My head is all around the world right now ^^'

And to all the tips and ecouragements: Thank you!
I'm going to write responses to a few of them:

It may be different for you, but prepare yourself for gruelling rejection at first.
Thanks for having warned me lol

OP have you watched Gravy Boats video when he hustles to sell gutter cleaning door to door?
No, I can't find the video. Could you link it to me?

Dude, if a 16 year old kid knocked on my door with a ladder and window washing equipment, I'd give him the job whether my windows needed it or not.

Youth gets a bad rap these days, so you'll probably find a lot of customers will have that reaction, there is something really wholesome about seeing a kid getting out there and making it.
Hm, might just be my insecurities kicking in, but I'm a bit sceptic towards this because I think the German attitude is a bit different. I feel like most of us are grumpy and "strict" by default.
I'm going to find out more in the future anyways!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
630%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Use a stopwatch to measure your time between houses. Walking+knocking+waiting+talking+walking to the next one

It’s like 1-2 min.

If you do it for 4 hours that’s 240 min so you should be able to knock on a TON of doors.

Raise the expectations. And go to average homes. For our lawn care company the most typical customer is a middle class teacher living in a development house with a tiny yard. They are the nicest people. The old dicks living in the 2m houses are all shrewd and mean and cheap, that’s how they saved up their money. Go after middle class people they have more emotion, and those development houses are usually people who do not like taking care of their own home services. They have an office job and don’t want to get dirt under their nails and the work takes less time. Easier to charge a relatively high price per window and bang out a quick job.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
UPDATE:

I F*cking did it!
I have 3 potential customers, 2 of them very likely! And I also got another job from the lady from november, my first customer and earned 20 bucks again!

And the most interesting thing was that it was very enjoyable! It wasn't really scary at all!!! WHAT THE HELL. Well, tbf, I only walked into stores today and not residential (which I remember as frickn traumatising).
My first potential customer is a shop-chain ("Rotes Kreuz Shop" or smth). Their previous window washer doesn't show up anymore lol and I offered the same price. Now I gotta talk to the chief, and close a deal.

The 2nd potential customer is a fruit-vegetable shop-owner. She kind of treated me like a son, engaging in "body contact"(<--I forgot the proper word right now) and her window cleaner also let her down.
She said she'd call me on a sunny day.

The 3rd one is the unlikely customer. I felt like she wanted me rather away, also stating yada yada...
In short, incredibly unlikely.

Also, the new hip belt is cool af

@Subsonic Hear that?
I hope you like a friendly competition!

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
AhHhHhhHhh...

UPDATE:

TODAY'S FEATURING:

-THE WINDOW WASHING MOBILE 1.0™ REVIEW
-PICTURES OF NAKED LADIES
-REPORT FOR THE LAST FEW DAYS
-MY QUESTION TO YOU: "SHOULD I GO OUT LATER?" (removed.)
-A NEW MILESTONE!
-I MET THE GERMAN ANDY BLACK (I'M NOT EVEN KIDDING)

Preface:
Last week was Easter and I didn't go out. I only really started again a few days ago (Thursday).
Also, and especially for the people from the future, I now have another thread running simultaneously:

THE WINDOW WASHING MOBILE 1.0™ REVIEW

I went to another small city last Thursday and Friday and used the THE WINDOW WASHING MOBILE 1.0™ for the first times.
Something that I did not think was that the rear is SO GOD DAMN HEAVY. Like, riding that shit could count as its own leg-day:inpain:. Like, that rear weight has serious competition with Kim Kardashian.
Oh, my average speed? Probably 7-10km/h (4-6mph)...
Like, I'm literally riding the hills up at 3km/h (I walk faster without equip, heck, even with) and often times have to stop and push it up the hill because it's so terribly heavy and because I don't want to get a heart attack/burst/whatever or faint and also blablablabla. However, I'm glad I have it, because it allows me to get to spots where I couldn't normally get to (unless a 2-3-hour commute sounds good). It also works fine and the police haven't stopped me yet BAHAHA. It is however scary riding fast-driving streets. But hey, it's working and making my life a lot easier! At least time-wise...

PICTURES OF NAKED LADIES (@heavy_industry)

I don't want to write at which job I exactly witnessed that, so I'll just write it here, anonymously!
I was at a residential job, and while cleaning, I needed to remove a nude picture of somebody. Like, there was shadows and stuff, but you could see enough...
I really like this side hustle.

REPORT FOR THE LAST FEW DAYS (PART 1) + I MET THE GERMAN ANDY BLACK + NEW MILESTONE

Thursday:

I drove to another city I hadn't been to yet that had a few small stores.
Objective: Stores

I arrived, locked my bike, etc and began moving. I wanted to pitch the butcher but there was a voice behind me.
"Heya, looking to make some money?"

Me replying "Yes sure! What kind of job is it?"
This guy looked like @Andy Black lol and I followed him to his flat.
He had just recently moved there and there wasn't any construction cleaning, so the windows were pretty damn dirty. We agreed on 72€ I think (?) and I began. I was thrilled! That was my first residential clean (iirc)!
While working, plumbers or something came and they just took my window washing solution (LOL) but I didn't mind.
While working I was talking with him and this guy asked me about my phone number. I told it to him, and we moved on, me working. A little while later he came back and told me to come to him.
This guy shows me a marketing strategy that I could use and explained it to me. He also explained me his philosophy regarding making sales/business, similarly to Andy Black. We had an awesome talk, and keep in mind this guy looks EXACTLY like Andy!!! I continued and he called me again and made me a flyer!!! WHAT THE HELL=??
He was working in a company with his category being "digitalisation" or something like that, so he knew a bit about marketing.
Anyways, that was awesome!
I finished the job and got a tip.
Total: 75€ or 80€

After that, I got a job at a pet food shop for 20€ or 25€.
While working, TWO women approached me, both RESIDNETIAL!! "!
I closed deals with both of them and finished the job. Later I asked her if she helped me, and she did!
W shop owner. Total: 20€ or 25€

Then I went to the other side of the city and did the residential job for 25€?
She seemed kinda all over the place.
Total: 25€

Then I went aaaaaall the way back (the hill) and did the residential job for 35€.
The house owner gave me a water bottle! Thanks!
Total: 35€

It was really late and it was raining really hard and so I went home. The landscape was beautiful.
Total-Total: around 160€

Friday:
I honestly am not even sure what the duck happened that day exactly. Ah, I remember!
I was walking around in the same city as the day before and wanted to pitch the remaining few stores.
I got a tip from a store, and so I went to a little shop and got a job for 15€. Something nice to start the day with! I might've gotten a tip, can't recall but I got free water! Thanks!
Total: 15€

I walked around and... it was pretty much it? However a man approached me and asked me if I could clean his transparent roof thing. I was confused but told him that I should be able to do that and told him 40€ for the 4 panels.
He told me that it was pretty pricy and I told him that "I don't do that everyday".
What I meant was that it's a rather special task, but he probably understood it as "Do it now and you'll be good for the next 6 months" LOL and he agreed!
My applicator got so god damn dirty, I thought I'd need to get another sleeve lol but after a bit of washing it actually looked okay again.
Total: 40€

After that, I drove to a suburb I scouted beforehand on Google maps.
I arrived and I knocked on my first door.
A woman came out and I awkwardly asked her about the grill-packaging in front of the door.
I pitched her and she said "I don't know, our dog makes quite a mess of that certain window" and I said, "Alright, I can see how that might not seem as lucrative, so how about I'll do that certain free of charge?"
She said that it was alright (no free of charge) and she agreed.

SHE AGREED. A RESIDENTIAL JHOB^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This was the very first time I got a "REAL" residential job through d2d.

This basically took me 6 months. Half a year. THAT'S SO COOL.
Anyways, I did the job and she was pretty happy, had some small talk with the husband, pretty good actually.
Didn't work for too long.
Total: 56€

Then I pitched their neighbour and got rejected by a David-Bowie look alike. I went to the next houses but I heard a women call me in English.
Now, I was more than happy and glad to finally actually use my amazing English-skills for once and went up to her.
It was the David-Bowie house and I pitched them (again), basically removed their risk as much as possible and got to work. I had a lot of small talk with the family and learned a lot about them. The mom was really proud of me and got her eldest son and said "Here, look at this splendid young man, he's only 16!"
The boy was like "Mum, why?" :rofl:

The boys gifted me a bit of chocolate (which I glady ate, considering my 10kms way back home) and went home after knocking on a few other doors in the evening. Total 55€
One guy had "Choice" as him name and I pitched him "Heya Mr. Choice! I'll give you the choice of accepting an amazing window cleaning service".
He rejected and I think he felt offended:rofl:.

Total-Total: 161€ I think

Weekend:
My body was completely exhausted and I almost couldn't stand straight that Saturday, so I took that day off. Oh and the Sunday as well... But hey, I at least finished a school asignment, so I'd have more time.

REPORT FOR THE LAST FEW DAYS (PART 2)

Monday:

I wanted to wake up early, but woke up like 3 hours later than I wanted. Then there was the fact that I didn't plan my route, overthinking, etc. and I didn't go out that day...

Tuesday (yesterday, as I'm writing):
I woke up late (again) and only went out at 3pm. I wanted to do the monthly clean for the first Thai lady I mentioned on here. I arrived there but the owner wasn't there, but I got it anyways (thanks, other Thai Lady!) and even got a tip. While working, the store owner next door asked me and I said I'd come back to him after I finished.
Total: 20€ (15€+5€ tip = 20€)

(Listen carefully, I learned 2 lessons in the following job)
I went up to him and he had a lot of big windows. I told him that I take 4€ for every window, each costs the same. Why? Because that's roughly the average price of all big and small windows combined. Anyways, moving on. I counted up the many windows and he asked me if I could only do the big windows and not the small ones. I said sure and only realized shortly after that I f*cked up, because that's way too much work for 72€. Oh and not just that, but I added value before that as well! "Oh yeah, and I remove all dust and cobwebs as well".
So there I was, doing angrily my job (lol). I wanted to go the suburb where I got my first real residential sale, but it was already pretty late (4pm when I started the job) and riding 10km for only like 2 hours seemed a bit bad.
Anyways, I still did a good job and tried to hurry up and did it in around 1.5 hours.
He said he was impressed, showed me how his website gets customers and gave me 100€!
I was pretty happy haha. Well, he did get an awesome deal after all... Especially because he didn't need to remove 10m² full of books in front of the window because I had towels to cover the books with.
Total: 100€ (72€+28€ tip = 100€)

After that, it was already way too late to travel to the other city, so I went to a wealthy part of my city and knocked there!
It was pretty fun and might hear from a few of them back. My worry of my lack of humour is fading away more and more.
Anyways, there was one house with like 30-50 windows or something and I said 3€ per window and I got like 314€ as total I think? I was like "damn! You know I'm really empathetic, etc. How about if we do this and this and-" he cut me off and asked his wife what they pay.
What do you think? 60€

Like, HWAT FUTE THE0=?
60??? That's like way less than a buck per window. Also, these windows were really hard to reach.
I still can't believe what the F*ck I heard yesterday.
After that I knocked on another door and there was an elderly couple. We talked and talked and I gave them a price. I overheard them talking about health insurance whether they'd cover window cleaning costs (lol) and they said no. So I was like "So you guys are elderly and it's not that easy so I'll go with 3€ per window instead of 4€" or something similar to that.
I am sure I seemed scammy at times because I was pretty forgetting "Wait, how many windows did I say?" :rofl:
Anyways, said 84€ for the few windows and they were like "Wow, that's pretty cheap".
Meanwhile the 60€ guy...
Anyways, got an appointment next week after school.
However (AND I AM SO SORRY @BizyDad ) I forgot to leave them my phone number (so they could call if something changed)...
But hey, even if something goes wrong this time as well, I'll be way more chill and see it as my own fault.

Oh, and I quickly washed a few unreachable windows for one lady for 12€.
Total: 16€ (12€+4€ tip = 16€)

Total-Total: 136€

Wednesday (Today):
I haven't gone out yet because I decided to frickn finish this report oml.
My plan is to go to the first-residential-job suburb, but I think it's okay to go a bit later (say, 2pm?) because people work on Wednesdays lol.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed and learned something in this report. It took me a while to write oh and feedback is very welcome!
Thanks guys for the continous support and help!

(and I REALLY hope I didn't forget anything in this post)

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
Keep in mind you'll be selling cleaning services to home owners and not software to fortune 500 companies.
Meaning that your interactions don't need to be drawn-out and overcomplicated.
When I used to go door-to-door I would fall into the trap of wasting a long time trying to convince skeptics for the business when someone just down the same block would hire me within a minute of meeting me.

Also if you don't have people skills you'll certainly gain some. Always keep level-headed when dealing with the general public.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
554%
Apr 17, 2022
Excellent job bro!

This is what happens when you don't give up like the rest of the losers, and you keep trying. Eventually you hit the mark.

You won't be cleaning windows your entire life. But the determination that you build right now will carry over into the future and help you in your next business ventures.

This kind of subscription-based service is exactly what you're looking for. Return customers are the best - you no longer need the sales pitch to make money.

Please be careful with what situations you're getting into, and be extremely careful when cleaning windows on higher floors. Invest as much money as you need in all the equipment necessary to perform this task safely.

Not only will the pro equipment ensure your safety, which is the top priority, but it will make you look even more professional and will perhaps increase sales.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Today has been raining the whole day (and will continue so) so I didn't go out or use my bike. But I had a job (90€) scheduled and my mom drove me the way to the city.
I came into the store and this bitch says "Oh Today not. It's raining. It's not sunnyyyy!! I also thought you'd come yesterdayyyy xD"

"But we scheduled it today. Not just that, but the windows literally have a cover, they don't get wet or anything"

"Yehghhhh, but it's not Sunnayyy!! XD
Cmon, leave me your number and I'll call you when I need it"

I've been slacking on the company's registration but I am going to fill the shit out of the formular today.
The next time this shit happens, they pay regardless.

I am currently on the train. This dumb cow wasted my time and my mom's effort.

It sounds like there's a fair bit of miscommunication going on. Whose fault is that really?

Next time, call ahead to confirm.

As entrepreneurs, it is easy to blame other people when there's problems. You're blaming the customer.

But there was a problem, and there's another solution to consider.

And maybe the solution is you force people to pay for a job that you did not do.

But consider how that works. Even just asking puts you in a negative light. And considering you work door to door, you don't think this lady talks to the other store owners around her?

While we're on the topic, hopefully you weren't too aggressive in your talk with her. Because again, that reflects on you. All she has to do is tell a few more store owners around her that she doesn't trust you or thinks you're aggressive, and you just lost out on potential five or six accounts.

You don't have to be a pushover in business. I'm not suggesting that. But there are ways to speak to people where you can be firm and gentle. And that is the kind of person people will respect.

Next time it rains, call first. You should be programming your customer's numbers into your phone anyway. And you should be confirming your appointments anyway. The day before you go.

Lastly, consider this is a business forum as well, not a locker room. The words you choose matter. Be professional, even here.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
Way to go! Now imagine if you would knock on doors for 8 hours 5 days a week and hire someone to do all the window cleaning for you!
You got 192€ in 2 hours so 8 hours would be almost 800€ times 5 = 4000€ per week or over 16000€ per month and almost 200000€ per year (+ repeat customers).

Now is it easy or desirable to do d2d full time to get customers? No, but see what someone can accomplish who does it.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
554%
Apr 17, 2022
"Business name" wants to clean all the windows for free in "my area" no strings attached.
This is the most brilliant idea I've read today.

As simplistic as it might sound, this has to be one of the best strategies for getting new subscribers to your services.

1. Extremely high conversion rate​

• The % of people saying YES goes through the roof. It's FREE!
  • 0 risk involved on the customer side.
  • No commitment or pressure.

2. SHOW, don't tell.​

• Anyone can run their mouths about how great and professional their business is.
  • But now the customers can SEE what they will be paying for firsthand.

3. Reciprocity​

• Most people have a strong sense of reciprocity.
  • This means they are going to be much more likely to subscribe to your services after you've cleaned their windows for free.

Maybe I've had too much coffee (again), and I'm getting overly excited.

But this is pure genius.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
got online to 14 notifications...damn (in a positive way LMAO)

Before I reply to y'all, I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your guys' support. You're my only positive feedback loop at the moment (aka the only thing that doesn't scream "No"), so to speak.

Now to the repyling:
My bad. I wasn't clear.

When someone "spots" something amiss in your motives then it's often because they're projecting their own thoughts onto you.

A couple of years ago someone apparently took offense to me saying "Good for you" when I replied to something they'd done. I meant it as "Well done" whereas they took it as me being sarcastic. I was upset about the miscommunication for a while then realised the problem was with how *they* saw things. They maybe say "Good for you" when they're being sarcastic so assumed I was doing the same.

That old lady is suspicious because of the way she thinks. So long as your heart was in the right place then the issue is with how she thinks.

Hence me saying her perception isn't your reality. You went out to help them, she thought you were up to something, but that doesn't change your motives.

Maybe allow yourself to feel sorry for her that she sees the world that way, and try not to let it get to you.

And bear in mind some people have been burned in the past so have their guard up. It's not personal.
Thank you for the explanation!
I read your answer on my phone before bed yesterday (I couldn't react since it wasn't logged into the account) and it made me feel a lot better.
I was already feeling way better yesterday evening and even felt like I could get going again, definitely also thanks to your answer.
Just need to get going again!
I like the idea of the Facebook Business Page. In addition, you could try to give them some kind of Info Sheet when they ask about your number or Website -> Just use the Facebook address. Put a logo and Business name on top so it looks a bit more legit. (I wouldn't get business cards at least not at the moment. )

You could also go to a copy shop and have them print your logo as a sticker for your bucket. But don't overcomplicate this. Just that your potential customers have a visual clue and don't think you're a scammer or want to rob them.

Being from Austria myself I know that people in our countries are more often than not very suspicious. I think this is your main problem at the moment. Ask them if you can clean One or Two windows for free (in exchange for feedback and testimonials you can add to your info sheet).

I hope this helps a bit. Keep working and don't let your family and environment bring you down !
Thank you for the idea!
I'll get my business registrated first (more on that on a later post) and then will set up Facebook/google business. In relation to the online business site, I found out that you can just go clean at your friends' places and let them leave a review for you. That way you can gather some momentum...

"Keep working and don't let your family and environment bring you down !"
Thank you very much. More on that topic in a later post...
Congratulations for being persistent! That's a very good sign.

It seems like getting new customers is the hardest part of this endeavor, so try to get people to subscribe to your services, so you clean the windows every few weeks (instead of doing it just once). By doing this your customer base will grow month by month and you will spend less time trying to sell and more time actually doing the job and earing money.

Advertising your services through the web for your local area might also be a good idea.

Please be very careful when cleaning windows at the higher floors.

;)
Thank you for the tips and encouragement!
Today I realised that getting customers probably won't even be the hardest part... (more on that on a later post...)

"Please be very careful when cleaning windows at the higher floors."
I'm working with an extension pole so no worries and thanks! ;)

first of all : Respect, you did it!
Imo in Germany its quite hard to start that business. I have an idea about that. As I dont want to spread it, if you are interested, send me a PM and lets have a conversation!
Thank you!
I'll dm you some time, I have to learn for a class test after this so I currently don't have too much time!
Haha, you're going to grow thicker skin over the years. And when it comes to YOUR business, what your family thinks or says doesn't mean shit.

The reality is, people are intimidated by what you're doing. Fortunately, you're at the perfect age to disregard their "advice" and do what you gotta do anyway.

Also, don't argue with them. I did that when I was your age and it would often lead to 5-6 adults collectively exercising their feelings of inadequacy and low self-esteem on me. Huge waste of brain cells.

"I'm just looking out for you" or "I'm saying this for your own good" was something I heard a lot. Don't fall for it.
This post really resonated with me today (more on that on a later pos-
It's indeed really painful long term to have people be against your idea and push their gross and depressive hyperrealities/"ideals" onto me.
It's like a zombie telling you how to live.
Rejection stings. You'll eventually figure out that 99% of the motivation behind people's decisions is social status, so it makes sense that people don't like anything where they are rejected.

The solution here is immersion therapy where you just keep getting rejected until the sting is minor. It never fully goes away, but it becomes so small that you just ignore it.

Six doors at a time isn't enough. Go for 20 and try to get up to 100+.

Thank you for the words!
I did actually knock on 42 doors in a day in a previous post btw ;)
Though I have to agree on that specific day. It indeed was a bit too little.

We'll win eventually!

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Update:

I made 75€ today

-So uh, yeah, I kinda had to leave because I'm not able to read bus-plans properly, but everything went ok! I actually got on time for the bus, but realised I was on the wrong station and went home again. There, my mom was willing to drive me to City-1. From there on, I explored the historical city part and got my first job after a bit of pitching:

-I went to a lady and would do her exterior for 20 bucks and she wasn't willing at first, but I added value by removing the cobwebs and she agreed. I did a good job and I I got a tip I think.

She told me to come back in 6-8 weeks.
Total: 25€

-While I was doing the first lady (wait, that sounds so F*cking wrong)

-While I was working for the first lady, the owner of another shop I pitched earlier arrived and I negotiated the price with him. I told him 40 bucks for inside+outside but he was kinda tough (although we did kinda had a fun convo). He wanted me to do it for 30 but I wasn't doing it. I tried to add the cobwebs as added value, but he was like "Bitch, I worked a cleaning job myself. You're gonna need to remove them anyways" :rofl:.
Anyways, I somehow managed to get the price to 35 bucks and he agreed. The thing that really made me dig that deal was the fact that he owned a few other shops, and one inside the small mall from City-1 (for the Americans, a "mall" is not a mall in Germany, aka, it's not bigger than your frickn city lmfao).
Anyways, he said he'd contact me the next day if I'd do well.
I did the job, it was really tough tho, some annoying windows.
I did my best although I think I'll need to get a bronze wool pad soon.

After that I went into many shops.
One shop had a pretty and young woman in it and she rooted me for. "I wish you much luck"
Oh and there was also another pretty woman...
-shit, I'll need to get back on track haha

-After that I went into a book store and did a few windows for 15 bucks. The lady wasn't the owner but she rooted for me and paid from her pocket to "surprise her chef with actually clean back windows".

After that I went pitching many other stores. Some hot looking leads (no, I don't mean the before-mentioned women) and many cold ones.
Either way, after a grueling amount of time of searching for jobs, it was getting dark and I approached my last 2 shops. One was a hair-stylist and I think I'll do her windows inside/out for 80 bucks? Can't remember properly, wrote it down on my phone. And the other one was a restaurant. Front windows for 60€ I think. Lol, I feel like I went high with that price. 24 small windows (from French windows).
Either way, I'll drop there next Tuesday.

The biz is looking really good so far!
Thanks guys for the continuous support!

Do me a favour now, go back and read your first two posts in this thread. Think about the young man writing them, think about the mindset you had then, compared to now. Reflect on your journey so far and let it guide you going forward, there will be many more successes and failures along the way which will enable you to keep growing.
(lol let's finish my reply now).
... Maybe not as fast as others, but still, it's okay, I made it regardless, the result counts.
I'd say the only actual difference is that I am still determined as I was before, but I am now more open-minded. I am more confident in my ability. All that stuff you guys talk about, it slowly clicks more and more inside my brain.
Before I made decent sales, I was like "Shit, what if I don't make it? I'm scared", now I am like "This is looking good, just a little bit more and I could technically even live by myself. It's still scary but let's push through regardless"

PS: I also feel like my people skills slowly get better and better, as in I am more and more able to speak with people that aren't on my "wavelength".
My "shift" started at 3pm, basically ended at 7pm and got into a bus half an hour later.

piano

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
smol update

Today: 100€ (and a few small tips)
Pianomeme.png
Man, I'm pretty tired, let's see if I make it this time as well.

So, today has been interesting. I've tried residential again but then switched back to shops (commercial). I got to a suburbian area that basically only had houses, no shops etc. and I knocked on a bunch of doors, even had a few nice conversations. But I simply wasn't getting far. I realised that "Heya, interested in window cleaning?" isn't gonna cut it and that I'd need to bring something like humour into play. I, however, suck at humour (well, at least for the Sales-Standard, so to speak) and so I went with plan B, another city I haven't explored.
This time, this city was very wealthy and I realised that there was serious competition in that area.
I needed to change my script because there were already way too many clean windows: "Heya! As I can see, you already have a window cleaner, I just wanted to make sure though that you are happy with him!", or something similar to that. If they disagreed, hey (!), here I am for ya!
But despite that, I managed to get a bunch of work through very affordable prices.

You know what? I don't have much energy left so I'll keep it very brief this time:

-First shop was a pizza restaurant. Am supposed to come next month, for 10€.
Total: 10€

-A nail-thingy, inside and out, took longer than I thought, got a 5€ tip.

-Hair-stylists, got 20 I think.
Total: 20€

-The glasses shop thingy, got 15€ I think?

-Austrian-Niche store, got 20€ and Austrian waffle chocolate. The people were very nice, especially the Italian in there. People like him really restore my faith in humanity haha!
Total: 20€

Interesting moments:
-The Italian guy as mentioned, he was awesome. Awesome human.
-I went into a shop and there was the owner who blessed me for the coming Eastern and praised me to high regards for my "honest work".
-Oh, and there were many pretty and young women again (@heavy_industry ;))

Overall, I think I'll try to get residential through ads and stuff like that. It's pretty hardcore d2d, or maybe I'm just whining around...

I hope this was everything...?
Either way, have a good day guys!

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 29, 2021
Best of luck! Did a similar thing so might be able to chip in.
I've approached a lot of businesses to clean their windows on foot and they never asked me about a "van". They probably don't care about that. The equipment probably helps to look professional though. After talking to a business owner, he explained to me why I might be struggling with getting clients.
Don't lie. Be honest and transparent. It's true presenting yourself as a company can make you look more professional (I made a logo with a company name and that wowed a prospect). But it might not be much of a deciding factor. If they need someone to clean the windows, and you're there, they'll probably be very thankful.
It may be different for you, but prepare yourself for gruelling rejection at first. I went up to 16 businesses to ask if they wanted cleaning but was all but turned away because they already had window cleaners and/or my price was high. You'll grow through it all and walk away with more knowledge in the field. Take notes of any complaints they have, or market echoes and see if you can solve them. Enjoy the journey and not just the destination too.

You're already taking action and that's something to be very proud off.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
People, who hire people to clean their windows, have clean windows. So they most likely will hire you more than people with dirty windows. Not cleani windows are the important thing, but let them clean recurring.

You will not make friends by cleaning windows on sunday in Germany, but you well can ask, if they want the service the next day.

In Germany, you will not find as many people let you clean as in USA by knocking the door.
You need mouth to mouth!

You can try to go to small businesses, ask the owner in person, if you may clean his windows for free ( or a tip) to get a word of mouth.
Business owners will more likely give you a chance to start your business.

When it works, don’t forget to get your business registrated and make the tax. Otherwise you will not survive in Germany . We have a nice Abmahnwesen.

If you have problems regarding the language, pm me!

Viel Erfolg!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.