The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm back to Say THIS!

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
Well, I guess it is time for my success story. I have been away from this forum for a while due to some dis-enchantment with other members accusing me of spamming. I am back to provide my story...

I joined this forum on Sept. 2008 shortly after my birthday on the 18th. My goal was to explain to all who would listen how I succeeded and failed, possibly to help them avoid my many mistakes. Early 2008 I had already formed my California Corporation; Strategy Venture Group, Inc. and been asked to become an Entreprenuer Mentor to a handful of apprentices.

In 2005 I lost everything while my daughter was on her her way into the world. In 2006 I was living with my parents, my fiance' and my newborn daughter. For work I had been asked by one of my friends to manage his local roofing company. I told him I needed to get on the roof like his workers to remember what it was like and see how things worked. 8 months later I became the official manager after roofing with the crews! They were all surprised and terrified, lol. Anyway, I no sooner became manager right before finding out his purchasing system was out of whack and he was half a million in debt! I promptly laid myself off right after my 2nd trip to the emergency room. I hadn't realized how sick I was about to become.

The next two years is easily described as me in and out of the VA hospital. In late 2007 I found out I had had Crohn's disease, not to actually be confirmed until later 2008. This finally explained why I had colon cancer so young and hypoglycemia. Just a bunch of health issues that sucked.

When I started posting in the Fastlane, I was on my way back to building my business for the 3rd incarnation. I follow one very important philosophy above all, never stop learning & nobody knows everything or as much as they think they do! I am now the President & CEO of Strategy Venture Group, Inc. where I am also 50% owner. My partner is my best friend. He and I argue all the time like brothers. If you think you can separate business and personal issues, you are not very experienced in the business world. I'm sorry if this offends; however, I have met with many influential people as of late and they agree, which gives me the confidence to state this here.

So now I lead a company that runs a max of 5 startup projects per year and a handful of growth stage companies. SVG is an incubator of sorts. We invest in startup projects by providing the technology rather then just funds for equity. That said, we almost always fund the startup marketing. We own 40%-50% equity by providing the Web technology, servers, hardware and funding the startup marketing until profitability for most of our projects. We don't start projects if an Entrepreneur has not shown the fortitude to survive the startup stage and can listen rather than argue.

How I went from poor to successful for the 3rd time -

In summary, I fell back to my best skills and began working with my newly acquired skills. These were Web Development, project management, leadership, and mentoring. I used my skills to build a make shift team, one of which was the man funding our 1st project. We built a unique marketing system for the Life Insurance/Financial Services industry. It is still unbeatable!

From there, we used our system to prove how my company (a full 3 people) could build anything we set out to. We made a little bit of money and even surplussed a profit after a few kicks in the teeth. With our newly acquired Net Disposable Income (look up the term it is important), I funded the technology and marketing for another startup. We formed a JV with a very passionate Entrepreneur with experience in his industry. He built the marketing plan, I mentored him in the business structure & infrastructure planning, then we (SVG) funded his marketing plan once we all approved it. Little did we realize, we had designed our formula for success! Note: We funded the marketing with surplus cash & credit.

At this point SVG was just me and my best friend now. Two projects were profitable and we were looking for our next project while still "influencing" the two Entreprenuers managing said two profitable projects. Practicing influence has become much more important than control or even trust in our business! You see influence creates control & trust. For our next project I realized we needed to build something again to prove ourselves (this pattern keeps repeating itself in today's business climate). We built a notification system for a well known organization and tested it. No profit was generated yet and we didn't have permission from the organization. Sometimes it is best to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. Eventually after they chastized us, they asked us to build it and improve on it so they could license it. Are you laughing yet?

In conclusion, I learned to adapt to the quickly changing business environment. If you don't already know this, business is changing at light speed thanks to ultra fast communications technology. Get on-board and don't fight it, opportunity is created by this affect. Further, as an Entrepreneur, you don't have the luxury of being depressed, tired, negative or any other state which prevents you from being successful! If I hear another wannabe Entrepreneur tell me thay are a realist to excuse their negativity, I might implode! Entrepreneurs are idealists with the motivation to materialize their creativity.

My Formula for success:

1. Identify something you can be passion it about! -
Don't linger on this, just start working with things or activities you enjoy.

2. Build something -
I don't care what it is, it shows your passion and proves you are capable which means serious business people will be attracted to you.

3. Get feedback -
Tell everyone what you built, show it off and ask for their opinions. Then listen and record!

4. Ask your feedback group to ask their friends/colleagues opinion -
Why, because someone will eventually catch the virus, seek you out and present an opportunity, even if it is a long time later.

5. Be patient -
Yeah, you are desperate, or in need of money or in need of everything, so is everyone else. Get over it and wait for the opportunity to present itself. If you don't calm down, you will miss it.

6. Don't Wait -
LOL... I purposely contradicted myself here because I want to emphasize that waiting above means to realize and believe an opportunity will present itself. You can create one just as well, but make sure you don't operate out of desparity.

7. Vet all opportunities -
Please learn how to conduct Due Diligence! Get a drivers lices (color copy) of anyone you want to do business with before any transactions. Use eScrow.com and Paypal for their saefty in transactions. It is not illegal for a Consultant to not provide what is in a contract, it is a civil matter. Contracts are only as good as the legal power you have.

8. Always find the Win-Win -
Always build and present a win-win situation to be agreed upon. If they say no, don't walk away, run! This is just as much a part of the vetting process.

9. MLM opportunities are for the weak -
I'm sorry, but most MLM opportunities are designed (actuall all of them) to prey on the less experienced Entrepreneur. Mr Kiyosaki, you and i have parted ways here.

10. Build a surplus of money -
Get a job, do side work, just buils a surplus. The size limits your opportunities, but creativity lifts those limits. Don't use other peoples money until you gain experience! Anyone who invests in a starup where the Entrepreneur is inexperienced in the industry is a newbie Investor. The startup has a .0001% chance of success.

Important formula for the 1st time Entrepreneur=

Either you have a job, or you are getting one. Adjust your lifestyle to live off of 50% of your NET income (after taxes & retirement program). Do this for 18 months. Save the other 50% in a bank account or cash jar. Make sure you can't dip into it until the end of 18 months. At the end of the 18 month period, quit your job, or go on hiatus after you have a business plan approved by an experienced self-made Entreprenuer who understands your industry. Fund your startup with 6 months of the money you saved. Use the other 12 months to live on. Don't worry about competition, your creativity/innovation will overcome it. This is the advice i never got!

Side note: If you are in the military, you have a unique position. You have the ability to live off the bases, command's resources and save your money in a safe investment vehicle until your discharge. In the last two year of your term, learn to live off a small budget away from base resources to get yourself ready for the civilian world, it won't be easy, but you think it will. Lol.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Allseeingeye

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jul 17, 2010
Some very sound advice, it good to express the importance of being in some type of job or to have some income.

If you are ever looking to mentor someone who is determined and motivated, and you have some spare time to help me organise, this would be truly great.

Blessings

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
In 2005 I lost everything while my daughter was on her her way into the world.

In 2006 I was living with my parents, my fiance' and my newborn daughter.

When I read the first sentence, my heart dropped through the floor.

Then I read your follow-up sentence, and realized that you hadn't lost the two most important things in your life.

Thanks for sharing. Never give up.

Glad to hear your health issues are at least diagnosed. Nothing worse than being sick and having no idea what's wrong (I know, I live this every day).

Sorry you left the fastlane. Glad you're back. Part of being successful is not letting others get to you. It's something I work on every day-- and I'm still not good at it. But it's a worthy pursuit, for me.

My mantra on this:

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt :thumbsup:

-Russ H.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I am happy for you that you made it happen! Persistent and the stubborness to never quit!!

And great advice at the end, that formula is give or take sort of what I did (or am doing at this moment)..

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Feb 10, 2009
NYC
Great story, I like the points you make. It's great to see you reincarnate from (financial) scratch and again go right for the kill.:smx9:

DreamPursuit

Say a little, do a lot
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 18, 2010
South Carolina
Great to see that you kept your head up, after experiencing so much misfortune. Your formula is very similar to what I am doing right now.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
I will add one last very important concept: Entrepreneurs are kicked in the teeth far more than most because you are the ones who never settle, risk it all, calculate numbers others won't, strategize, enter dark rooms when most won't, and learn to live outside your comfort zone! Don't ever consider this a weakness, especially when many others tell you how wrong they think you are! I am no exception to any rule and no genius, just an Entrepreneur...

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
Side note: If you are in the military, you have a unique position. You have the ability to live off the bases, command's resources and save your money in a safe investment vehicle until your discharge. In the last two year of your term, learn to live off a small budget away from base resources to get yourself ready for the civilian world, it won't be easy, but you think it will. Lol.

Great comment at the end. I've seen too many people in the military waste their time and money. They deploy to the warzone, make tax free money, and then once they return they splurge on the BIG stereos, fancy cars [BLING, BLING] that they can't afford, and they still continue to rent and pay guys like me which I have no complaint. Deferred gratification needs to be taught to everyone.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
great story. 'the only way to fail is to quit'. great job staying persistent.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
while due to some dis-enchantment with other members

I'm sorry I didn't hear or know about this-- I would have had some words with those folks as I always enjoyed your postings and stories.

9. MLM opportunities are for the weak -
I'm sorry, but most MLM opportunities are designed (actually all of them) to prey on the less experienced Entrepreneur.

Ha Ha
Entrepreneurs are kicked in the teeth far more than most because you are the ones who never settle, risk it all, calculate numbers others won't, strategize, enter dark rooms when most won't, and learn to live outside your comfort zone! Don't ever consider this a weakness, especially when many others tell you how wrong they think you are! I am no exception to any rule and no genius, just an Entrepreneur...

As I post this I'm on the beach, looking out at the Pacific Ocean ... yes sir, we do things that others won't so we can live like others cant.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
As I post this I'm on the beach, looking out at the Pacific Ocean ... yes sir, we do things that others won't so we can live like others cant.

Hey, you on the Left Coast?

Or one of the islands?

-Russ H.

A

Anon3587x

Accomplished entrepreneurs get to do awesome things like this.

While starting ones get to go on the all water, all noodle diet, and are always broke because they invest all their money they have on investments. They also don't go on awesome cruises with their friends because they know that money would be better spent on business ventures that may or may not work out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Starting entrepreneurs get to go on the all water, all noodle diet, and are always broke because they invest all their money they have on investments :( :(

Hey, we're millionaires on paper, but we don't have millions in the bank.

We have it tied up/invested.

I have top ramen all the time. :)

And I've switched drinking soft drinks to water (most of the time). :coffee:

Am I cheap?

Some would say yes.

Others would just see it as choices I have made to further our eventual success.

All depends on how you look at it.

Bottom line?

I don't need to spend money to make others think I'm a millionaire (going on cruises, to clubs, etc).

Perhaps that's one of the bigger differences between some entrepreneurs/wealthy folks and those who are not:

A lot of people who are wealthy don't care what others think--ie, if others think they're rich, or not.

-Russ H.

A

Anon3587x

I'm cheap too Russ.

A few days ago I went to the lake with some friends. While me and this one girl were grabbing something to eat I told her to stick to the dollar menu. If I spend more than 100.00$ on something that isn't really investment related I just feel like I'm wasting money. But sometimes I need to go out, have fun and remember why it is I want money in the first place.

I don't want money just to have it, I want money to do things in which I can't right now because I don't have a whole lot!

"we do things that others won't so we can live like others cant." I'm at this stage right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Great to hear from you and nice to have you back sir!

I'm glad you're alive and well!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Congrats on your success.

We built a notification system for a well known organization and tested it. No profit was generated yet and we didn't have permission from the organization. Sometimes it is best to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. Eventually after they chastized us, they asked us to build it and improve on it so they could license it. Are you laughing yet?

I have a question then... or many, actually.

1. How do you define success for this product/company?

2. Are you talking about having this product bring tens of thousands per month? are you in pilot phase? are you already billing and profiting from this product?

3. Is this product/service something you can replicate/adapt for other organizations? if so, are you already doing that? if not, why not?

Thanks in advance for answering these questions, I know for sure many of us will get a wealth of information from them. And thanks again for sharing your story.

servicefly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 20, 2008
California (Southern)
PhxMJ,

As for the dis-enchantment, that was coupled with me feeling ill, so now I realized I was probably over-reacting by not posting for awhile. My health is under control now, but for awhile there I would get rather ill and not realize it affected my moods. Plus I was very busy building he company back up. All of you guys on this forum great.

Andviv,

Success will come when we close the deal. It is in process now. The organization is known to take their sweet time.

2. Are you talking about having this product bring tens of thousands per month? are you in pilot phase? are you already billing and profiting from this product?

Pilot phase until they pay us. We will not add the requested enhancement until they pay us, or sign the contract. We are not billing (licensing) it yet. It is worth over a million annually.

3. Is this product/service something you can replicate/adapt for other organizations? if so, are you already doing that? if not, why not?

All the Web based technology we build can be replicated as part of our business model. We have some exclusive agreement, but most of the core systems can be re-branded for other clients without violating exclusivity.

I would love to tell you who we are dealing with but the project is not finished and certain aspects have to remain confidential for now. You will all hear of it next year if they actually license our system. The good news, we are the only ones who have already built it.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Andviv,

Success will come when we close the deal. It is in process now. The organization is known to take their sweet time.

Pilot phase until they pay us. We will not add the requested enhancement until they pay us, or sign the contract. We are not billing (licensing) it yet. It is worth over a million annually.

All the Web based technology we build can be replicated as part of our business model. We have some exclusive agreement, but most of the core systems can be re-branded for other clients without violating exclusivity.

I would love to tell you who we are dealing with but the project is not finished and certain aspects have to remain confidential for now. You will all hear of it next year if they actually license our system. The good news, we are the only ones who have already built it.

Thanks for the reply... very cool indeed. Good luck with the speed of this organization to sign everything... big companies are known for taking forever to get something like this going.

I wish you well and a lot of success with this effort.

I'd like to suggest that you keep in mind, while building this system, to make it as modular as you can, that way you can re-use it and/or re-brand it as needed for future customers.

Jag

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Glad to have you back, I always enjoyed your posts as well (longtime lurker before I signed up)! Also good to hear you got your Crohns under control; I was just diagnosed with it about ~1.5 years ago and have just now found a doctor that is helping me get it under control. It is a tough/humbling disease to fight through that is for sure!

Wishing you continued success!

-Jag

Chade

Banned
Feb 21, 2011
Hi,
I am glad to read your points and felt a good advice. As you throw light on the importance of income.
I am also glad that your health issue was appeared and diagnosed in time.
Thanks

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Prepare for the ban hammer, Chade . . .

You ready?

:bsmeter:

-Russ H.

Netprofit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Feb 11, 2011
Sweden
Great advice. But where I don't agree is that you need to have experience in the industry that you are entering as an entrepreneur.. Some of the greatest companies was built by people who did not have anything to do with the industry and where they had "fresh eyes" on how to execute, for example Richard Branson, Founders of Innocent drinks, Michael Dell and many more.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY

Yeah MJ thats so funny i forgot to laugh....haha while i am trapped in my pursuit to launch this business im glad i have this place of positive successful people to help me keep going when things are tough, smart planning and hard work payed off, good for you MJ.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.