The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If you join college, DO study!!

Anything related to matters of the mind

ontheRIGHTtrack

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
May 26, 2016
Hey everyone,
A little background about myself. I have been on the forum since October 2015 and this year it will be my 4th year anniversary for being a lurker.
To this day I have never given my mind a chance to get the taste of business and have let the fear of the unknown deter me from the path towards the road to fastlane.
I am 24 years old, am currently working in an IT job and reside in India. My college is amongst the top 5 engineering colleges in my country and I have my Bachelors of Engineering in the second most sought after branch Electrical and Electronics Engineering.

<Begin Rant>

After reading TMF I realized the vast potential a person possesses if he/she gets working on a fastlane business. I read, just like everyone new here, all the gold threads and was mesmerized by the staggering results people have been able to achieve in a relatively short period of time (5 years instead of never). @IceCreamKid, @MustImprove, @JasonR, @RHL, @Fox , @Kak, @G_Alexander have been an inspiration to name a few.

This got my lazy brain to forget about my studies and exam during my college semesters. I just used the thought of becoming a millionaire via a business be my excuse for not studying and got really low GPAs (the bottom 5 out of 180), which wouldn't have mattered if I put my time into working on anything entrepreneurial.

As a result of my low GPA and no skill in any field whatsoever, I got the lowest paying job that relied on my ability to have cracked admission into this college as a marker for my intelligence.
The problem I have is while supporting my parents it takes about 70% of my savings and on a low income getting out of the job cycle seems impossible.

Now after 4 years of college and almost 1 year of job, I am in debt of about $700. This debt has accumulated as a result of me still relying on my instant gratifications and believing that one day I will earn in millions so what's the excuse for not spending pennies.

With my current job income and saving aroung 45% of my paycheck, it will take me 4 months to pay off this debt.

< End Rant>

I know while following @Fox web school thread that earning $4k per month is not a big deal after 4-5 months of hustling and learning, and their could be even better options for paying off my debt within 2 months instead of 4.
My current plan for side hustle is online tutoring on weekends for $4.32/hour (300 INR), and completing Fox's web school challenge through his beginner course that I bought way back in August 2018.
If anyone has came out of a similar situation please share your insight as to what worked for you or if there's some better alternative to my current plan. I am finally sober and take full responsibility for my in-actions and putting myself in this dire situation.

P.S. as far as external comparison goes my college friends from my own branch earn double or triple of my current salary because they studied in college.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
As a university student myself while doing Fastlane, DEFINITELY AGREE.

If you leave everything to last minute, you'll find yourself scrambling to finish your assignment or prep for a test, and of course,, that would take time out of doing Fastlane as well.

This got my lazy brain to forget about my studies and exam during my college semesters. I just used the thought of becoming a millionaire via a business be my excuse for not studying and got really low GPAs (the bottom 5 out of 180), which wouldn't have mattered if I put my time into working on anything entrepreneurial.

As a result of my low GPA and no skill in any field whatsoever, I got the lowest paying job that relied on my ability to have cracked admission into this college as a marker for my intelligence.
Bottom 5? Damn...

I managed to get at least 2.9 for my last semester. Not bottom, but of course not spectacular.

And yes, making excuses about doing something you might never do at all isn't the way out. No different than jumping out of a plane, thinking you'll just use your shirt as a parachute.

However, there are ways to cut down study time quite effectively, so that one does not need to worry about the time drain of studying. I subscribed to Chegg many months ago so that I could have solutions and workings when I wanted to do extra textbook exercises, and that was a great decision.

EDIT: Plus, if you have group assignments, do them whole-heartedly.

I learned more doing them, discussing with team mates, and planning stuff out, than I would learn from the past-years and tutorial questions.

Where I come from, lecturers like to use existing theories or academic research as content for the basis of assignment questions, so often, the conclusions you get at the end can be very different from textbook theory.

Also, it fills in the skills part, so when you go out to find a job (at least), you'll have a decent level of soft, admin and analytics skills.

ontheRIGHTtrack

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
May 26, 2016
Thanks for your reply, means a lot.
I have now graduated from my college and am currently working in an IT job.

EDIT: Plus, if you have group assignments, do them whole-heartedly.

I learned more doing them, discussing with team mates, and planning stuff out, than I would learn from the past-years and tutorial questions.

Where I come from, lecturers like to use existing theories or academic research as content for the basis of assignment questions, so often, the conclusions you get at the end can be very different from textbook theory.

Also, it fills in the skills part, so when you go out to find a job (at least), you'll have a decent level of soft, admin and analytics skills.
^ This
It's important to have skills while looking for a job, how can one provide value to others otherwise (Yeah ingenuity can come handy ). Also, companies rely on past experience to judge a new employee. It's easier to get a job when you have past results maybe through a study project, or internship.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey everyone,
A little background about myself. I have been on the forum since October 2015 and this year it will be my 4th year anniversary for being a lurker.
To this day I have never given my mind a chance to get the taste of business and have let the fear of the unknown deter me from the path towards the road to fastlane.
I am 24 years old, am currently working in an IT job and reside in India. My college is amongst the top 5 engineering colleges in my country and I have my Bachelors of Engineering in the second most sought after branch Electrical and Electronics Engineering.

<Begin Rant>

After reading TMF I realized the vast potential a person possesses if he/she gets working on a fastlane business. I read, just like everyone new here, all the gold threads and was mesmerized by the staggering results people have been able to achieve in a relatively short period of time (5 years instead of never). @IceCreamKid, @MustImprove, @JasonR, @RHL, @Fox , @Kak, @G_Alexander have been an inspiration to name a few.

The problem I have is while supporting my parents it takes about 70% of my savings and on a low income getting out of the job cycle seems impossible.

Now after 4 years of college and almost 1 year of job, I am in debt of about $700. This debt has accumulated as a result of me still relying on my instant gratifications and believing that one day I will earn in millions so what's the excuse for not spending pennies.

With my current job income and saving aroung 45% of my paycheck, it will take me 4 months to pay off this debt.

< End Rant>

I know while following @Fox web school thread that earning $4k per month is not a big deal after 4-5 months of hustling and learning, and their could be even better options for paying off my debt within 2 months instead of 4.
My current plan for side hustle is online tutoring on weekends for $4.32/hour (300 INR), and completing Fox's web school challenge through his beginner course that I bought way back in August 2018.
If anyone has came out of a similar situation please share your insight as to what worked for you or if there's some better alternative to my current plan. I am finally sober and take full responsibility for my in-actions and putting myself in this dire situation.

P.S. as far as external comparison goes my college friends from my own branch earn double or triple of my current salary because they studied in college.

Hey welcome to the forum.

I would say focus on the fundamentals and go from there. No matter what way you head off you always need to have the basics right...

- Good daily habits
- Good mindset
- Basic savings and expenditure control
- Discipline and time management
- Education and specific knowledge related to your goals

You are in a good place. You can see where one very common approach to life (spend spend spend!) gets you and now you got the perspective to make a real change.

I'd start a progress thread if you haven't already and tag in @MJ DeMarco to get things going.

Wish you all the best and feel free to tag me also if you need me.

- Rob

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ontheRIGHTtrack

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
May 26, 2016
I really appreciate your input @Fox.
I did post earlier this year about getting into your challenge, and you asked me to start a progress thread back then too.

My apologies for not following through on your advice.

- Good daily habits
- Good mindset
- Basic savings and expenditure control
- Discipline and time management
- Education and specific knowledge related to your goals

You are in a good place. You can see where one very common approach to life (spend spend spend!) gets you and now you got the perspective to make a real change.

I'd start a progress thread if you haven't already and tag in @MJ DeMarco to get things going.

Wish you all the best and feel free to tag me also if you need me.

- Rob

Thanks for this. I'll update on getting my basics right in my progress thread.

Definitely, seeing first hand how easy it is to be chained while focused only on consumption is, I gotta say to all fellow members please refrain from it and use all your resources to get you closer to your freedom.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.