The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Will Apply For 260 Freelance Jobs [In Two Months]

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

BifeDeChorizo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 28, 2018
Hello everyone! Making this thread to stay accountable.

This is my situation right now:

+ 25 years old
+ Living with my mother
+ Making around usd$240 monthly (enough to pay internet, food and taxes)
+ Trying to fix a condition I had for YEARS (since I was 8) called Sleep Apnea but discovered only a couple months ago (I thought it was depression or mental/emotional issues...)

I work as a freelance developer, mostly web development.

Why making this thread???

I want to get work from Upwork and Workana, but I'm really having trouble sitting down an writing my job applications / offers.

I managed to get a couple of jobs from Workana in the past, so I already have experience on that... but still... these are the kind of thoughts that cross my mind whenever I sit and want to bid on jobs:

+ What's the point of trying? Some guy could just charge 1/10 of my price and get the job...
+ I should instead do [niche sites] [making android apps]
(but I don't even have the money to pay for a hosting)
+ Making bids takes time and that time is forever lost (and the alternative is? of course, doing nothing)
+ Maybe I apply to 100 jobs and get none of them...

---

I really need the money, and I really need to fix my medical condition.

So, in the next weeks I'm going to post my progress here.

The idea is simple.

Bid on 260 jobs.

60 on Upwork, 200 on Workana.

This is going to take roughly 2 months.

I have no idea how many jobs I'm going to get, but I know it's going to be more than one.

If you have any advice, encouragement to give... I'm all ears!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
If you have any advice, encouragement to give... I'm all ears!

Yes. Stop action faking. Set real goals like "having 10 jobs of minimal $100 each" next month, instead of bidding on 260 of them. Everybody can do that.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
Yes. Stop action faking. Set real goals like "having 10 jobs of minimal $100 each" next month, instead of bidding on 260 of them. Everybody can do that.
I agree with you that he needs to avoid action faking, but I do like his goal for this reason. Applying for 260 jobs is completely in his control. Earning 10 jobs is not. As long as he's learning from the rejections and improving his pitches, it's all a numbers game. Once he perfects his pitch, 260 applications will equal 10 jobs (or more).

Last edited:

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
but I don't even have the money to pay for a hosting
Google cloud offers their smallest hosting for free.

Yes. Stop action faking.
Internet bravado much?
Ignore this, op. If you actually execute all of this 260, with intent to get the work, its good.

One suggestion would be mix in some more active work searching like cold calls or networking. Freelancing websites become cesspools of $10/hr Indian crap and cheap clients. It's telling that sinisterlex, one guy who got good work on there, did so in a language focused area.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Read my threads about freelancing. Focus on the client, their needs, and how you can solve their problem. You don't need 260 applications. You need 1 good one sent to a well-researched client who has enough cash to pay you the price you want to solve their problem.

Don't worry about what anyone else charges. Worry about how you'll show the client you care about their business and solving their problems. Here's some things to consider:

1) Budget freelancers are budget for a reason
2) The people who hire budget freelancers don't make good clients
3) Your price is the price for you to solve their problem
4) If they don't like your price, so what...move on to the next client
5) If they like you and believe you can help them, they will pay your price

Just help people.

I don't even build websites and I've made 3 times more with web design from one job than you've made all year based on the amount you listed. Why the F*ck would anyone pay me that much? Because I focused on their problems and made it clear how I would solve those problems.

You focus on them > They feel you care > They like you > They believe you can solve their problem > They hire you > They pay whatever price you ask for

BifeDeChorizo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 28, 2018

I agree with this and I think it's a good idea! however, right now my problem is more of a "I should do bids right now and stop being scared"

I agree with you that he needs to avoid action faking, but I do like his goal for this reason. Applying for 260 jobs is completely in his control. Earning 10 jobs is not. As long as he's learning from the rejections and improving his pitches, it's all a numbers game. Once he gets perfects his pitch, 260 applications will equal 10 jobs (or more).

Yep, exactly this.

Google cloud offers their smallest hosting for free.

Internet bravado much?
Ignore this, op. If you actually execute all of this 260, with intent to get the work, its good.

One suggestion would be mix in some more active work searching like cold calls or networking. Freelancing websites become cesspools of $10/hr Indian crap and cheap clients. It's telling that sinisterlex, one guy who got good work on there, did so in a language focused area.

Didn't know about Google cloud! thanks!

Oh, that's a brilliant idea, two possibilities that come to my mind right now are MercadoLibre ads and Linkedin.

Read my threads about freelancing. Focus on the client, their needs, and how you can solve their problem. You don't need 260 applications. You need 1 good one sent to a well-researched client who has enough cash to pay you the price you want to solve their problem.

Don't worry about what anyone else charges. Worry about how you'll show the client you care about their business and solving their problems. Here's some things to consider:

1) Budget freelancers are budget for a reason
2) The people who hire budget freelancers don't make good clients
3) Your price is the price for you to solve their problem
4) If they don't like your price, so what...move on to the next client
5) If they like you and believe you can help them, they will pay your price

Just help people.

I don't even build websites and I've made 3 times more with web design from one job than you've made all year based on the amount you listed. Why the f*ck would anyone pay me that much? Because I focused on their problems and made it clear how I would solve those problems.

You focus on them > They feel you care > They like you > They believe you can solve their problem > They hire you > They pay whatever price you ask for

Thanks Sinister, this is too much data and I really need to give it some time. Will apply.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.