The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I want to start my entrepreneurial journey but I don't know when... let me explain.

lollo

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 20, 2021
Italy
I read Mj's books, I decided to get on the Fastlane and become an entrepreneur. The thing is, I basically read only MJ's books about entrepreneurship. I have no background at all, no knowledge and formation to start. Yes Mj's books are excellent but I think I need more, they are not enough alone. Right now I knowI can start something, but it will surely fail after a short time because I simply lack the knowledge. My question is, isn't it better if I keep on educating myself, have a better idea of what i'm going to do when I'm in the business and then start one? But when should I start, at what point my knowledge becomes enough to start a project. I don't want to procrastinate too much and become an action faker.

How do I know when the "learning and self-education" phase is over? What books, content, podcast, videos, courses, seminars do you recommend to a total beginner?

I don't wanna procrastinate and be an action faker that is alway learning, but I don't want to waste money and time on a project that I cannot grow with my little knowledge.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Feb 11, 2019
I started severely depressed, in debt, and had zero skills related to what I do now. Looking back, was it the perfect time to start? NO! I should have started even sooner.

MJs books are the foundation on which anything can be built, whether it's a summer house or a 60-story skyscraper. Sure, you will have to learn a lot and fail, those are inevitable, but there's no better way to learn than by actually doing practical work - executing.

Two years ago, I had zero marketing, sales, business skills, and I just started offering services on Fiverr, now I just got offered a strategic consultant's position on the nation-leading coach's team that's 10-20 times the average hourly rate in my country. It's a grueling process with an endless stream of challenges and failures, but I am certain that just doing is far more effective than reading every book out there. Sure, you still have to read, courses are useful, etc., but nothing will beat actual first-hand experience.

Just start! Anything! You will probably fail. Okay, you WILL fail, but that's okay. You will learn more than any book can teach you, you will assess and optimize, and you will try again, but smarter each time, thus gradually increasing the odds of success.

Don't start something that requires a massive investment, or a ton of skills. Learn to make $100, then turn it into a $1000, $2000, $4000, etc.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Right now I knowI can start something
Then start now
My question is, isn't it better if I keep on educating myself, have a better idea of what i'm going to do when I'm in the business and then start one?
No, you learn as you go and when you encounter a specific obstacle in your business
No one's ever truly ready to start
Education is just a blue blanket to keep you safe from actually doing real stuff
How do I know when the "learning and self-education" phase is over?
When you get your 9 figure exit cheque

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
I was like you some years ago, and I will never forget when a friend told me when I shared my doubts "Just start, just go do it". This was a friend I admired, so I realized that if he believed in me, I should certainly believe in myself.

It's just like that. Stop thinking and start doing. You don't know yet what problems you will encounter, so you cannot prepare for them.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
I have no background at all, no knowledge and formation to start.
This was me a year ago.

Simply picked up the phone and started dialing, writing emails along the way.

Looking and sounding like a clueless outsider for the first three to six months.

This week alone three different companies have come to me for help, advice, and my services.

Stop wasting time and start running.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
1 year of DOING and failing is a better teacher, than 4 years of READING and doing nothing.

NajTheDon

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Apr 3, 2020
New York
This was the post that I personally needed to read. I've been struggling with the same thing and I always tell myself I don't have enough information to start. I'm 25 and I feel as though I've wasted so much time due to this too. Thanks, guys it's time for me to start.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...