The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pressing restart on my entrepreneurial journey

sethmckilla

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 9, 2023
Maryland, US
Hello everyone,

I'm very happy to be here! I first read Unscripted a couple of years ago after my FTE when I was drinking too much, eating like crap, and addicted to video games. These habits helped numb the underlying desire to build a profitable online business that produces income while I sleep. The FTE happened when my overall lifestyle and negative attitude started to affect my marriage; something clicked and I was jolted into a complete identity change towards my ideal version of myself. Over the next year or two I introduced new daily habits including eating healthy, zero alcohol, exercising, meditation, journaling, and some more of the usual self-betterment habits (only the ones mentioned have stuck to this day, besides the occasional drinks at social gatherings). In less than a year I was feeling like an entirely new person (checkout attached images for pre/post FTE if interested).

During this time I also picked back up a previous hobby of trick skateboarding and started a website to first blog about my progress and added ads to hopefully get some advertisement revenue. Then I delved further into Wordpress and Elementor and (barely) put together and "app" for people to upload their own videos of a pre-defined list of tricks. People could like and comment on tricks of others, think Facebook for skateboarding. I ended up get a handful of very inactive users, zero dollars, and a few extra scars and gnarly toe nails. I did learn a valuable lesson through the blogging though - unless you're famous people really don't care about you, they're much more interested in what you can do for them.

During this process, I got really fed up with how slow and limited functionality Wordpress had so I scooped up a $12 course on Udemy to learn web development and flew through the 60 hours of material in no time. From there I tinkered on many different small side projects that didn't amount to much while learning the stack that I exclusively use today - NextJS, Typescript, and tailwindCSS. I wish I'd discovered this intense passion earlier in life.

A couple of months into my coding journey I was chatting with my brother-in-law who owns a real estate brokerage and he was complaining about how there were no good apps for contract management / cash flow projections except for a spreadsheet for $30 / month (with about 10,000 subscribers - dude is killing it!). So I started to build realtyflow out (realtyflow.co) on the MERN stack that I was learning at the time, but it eventually got really messy and a pain to work on so I reformatted it to my current stack. I took a break from the project for a bit when I succumbed to shiny object syndrome during the crypto boom. Entered wayyy too many hackathons on GitCoin; I earned about $15k to $20k in crypto (at the time, much less now!) through various hackathon wins but each project died as soon as the results were in so I could work on the next one.

Anyways, I went back to realtyflow after that detour and we've fully transitioned my brother-in-law's brokerage into the platform and his company of about 60 people use it daily. I kind of lost steam on it recently (as can be seen around July of this year on my GitHub Seth-McKilla - Overview) since it sort of turned into just fixing bugs for the users and not expanding to other users and generating revenue. I think the main culprit has been a combination of creating way too many features for an MVP (some not generic enough for a broader audience), not enough planning on how to market it, perfectionism on writing the cleanest code possible, and both of us having a lot of other things on our plates professionally and personally. However, we're currently in talks with a large influencer in the real estate space for some potential angel funding / promotion of the product to move it forward. I was naive with how much effort it would take to build it to what it is now and am burnt out with the product and finding it so hard to find any motivation to work on it without revenue coming in the door.

Apologies for the long post but it's been cathartic to reminisce on my journey up to now. My current objective now is to start fresh on a new product from my accumulated list of pain points (from my day job and building realtyflow) with my previous learnings in mind. I plan to basically do the opposite of what I did last time, in a nutshell:

- An idea that scratches my own itch and is something that I'm passionate about
- Don't write a line of code until I have done some validation on the idea by reaching out to as many potential customers as possible
- Be purposefully quick and sloppy with the code I write to get the most minimally viable version possible in front of users

Again, I'm very excited to be here and thanks for reading if you got this far! I'm thinking of starting a thread on here as I hit the drawing board again and build out a new product. I feel it could both provide accountability for me and hopefully some lessons learned on failures / successes. With this reboot, I'm also of course listening to my favorite book, Unscripted , again to kickstart the journey.

-Seth

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• At FTE.PNG
    At FTE.PNG
    746 KB · Views: 10
  • FTE + 6 months.PNG
    FTE + 6 months.PNG
    370.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jan 5, 2023
France
Welcome! Good to have you with us.

This is an impressive progression in only 6 months, congrats.

An idea that scratches my own itch and is something that I'm passionate about

Be careful with passions. The market doesn't care what you like to do.
That being said, if frontend dev is your passion you will find easily some people who need your skills.

sethmckilla

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 9, 2023
Maryland, US
Welcome! Good to have you with us.

This is an impressive progression in only 6 months, congrats.

Be careful with passions. The market doesn't care what you like to do.
That being said, if frontend dev is your passion you will find easily some people who need your skills.

Thanks for the feedback, and great to be here! Definitely agree with the comment about passions and plan to be as thorough as possible with my validation process.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...