The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I need help maintaining a balanced diet

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Hey guys, I really need some help. So I'm pretty skinny for my height and weight. I'm 6'3 I weight 143, and I'm 19. So its definitely not healthy. I have a super fast metabolism, but I'm trying to gain weight, but throughout the day I will be working on my business and doing other things and I just forget to eat. So I would like to know some ways you guys manage to maintain your weight while pursuing business. Below I have some pictures of how much I am consuming , and how many calories I am burning. As you can see, I am burning more calories then I am consuming. I still workout daily, as well as go on walks, but whatever reason I struggle to eat. I'm really trying to gain weight though. Its just insane, it feels no matter how much I eat. my body just burns more calories. By the way this is all tracked by my Samsung watch, and the Samsung health app.(yes I am one of the few people who prefer Samsung over apple) As you can see, I'm not even hitting my target calories. But I'm getting plenty of workout time in. For example: today I only consumed 1,671 calories when my target is 2,650 just to maintain my weight.
Screenshot_20210319-203002_Samsung Health.jpgScreenshot_20210319-203021_Samsung Health.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Beer and pizza. Problem solved! For me at least lol.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
Set a timer every 2 hours on your phone. Then eat .

Just solve the problem and move on - you've already wasted too much time thinking about this.

Achieving any goal in life, requires discipline.
It is no more complicated than that.

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
I had the same problem.
If you don't eat you can't gain anything. I have to eat 3 pretty big meals and also between the meals. So try to add some healthy snacks between, like peanut butter and rice cakes, add banana slices on top etc. And make sure you get enough protein as well. My morning and lunch meals are more calorie rich and evening meal is a bit smaller.

Make sure you don't do too much cardio.

And yes, if you forget, you should set a timer.

Goldfels

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Oct 29, 2020
Being an engineer, I like thinking of things in systems. Your body is just another system with inputs and outputs.
Inputs: Food, prescription drugs, exercise, sleep
System functions: Metabolism, cognition, hormones, etc.
Outputs: Weight (Muscle and fat), excrement, mental/physical health.

You need to optimize your inputs and your systems to get the outputs you need. In your case, you want to be at a healthy weight:
Optimize your food for fat and protein content. These macromolecules are harder to break down as opposed to sugars and simple carbohydrates.
Optimize your exercise for more strength training and building muscle. Weight is more than just fat (Side note: Don't use BMI as an indicator for (un)healthy weight), and while fat is good for your overall health, it's best to have it in equal balance with muscle, if not having more muscle than fat.
Optimize your prescriptions (if any). Talk with your doctor about this issue and if there are any medications that are helping or hindering your progress (either with you metabolism or otherwise).

Systems also need optimization in order to get to your goal. If no systems exist, then you are just begging for your goal to never be reached.
Systematize your eating. Like @WestCoast was saying, set a timer that dictates when you eat. Also try meal prepping. When you are pre-allocating and dedicating time to constructing meals, you are setting up a system that says "I spent time making this, I should follow through and eat this."
Systematize your exercise. You may already have some schedule for your exercise, but is it the correct exercise that meets your goals? Aerobics, cardio and breathwork are all good exercise, but they won't help you build muscle (and thus gain weight, your goal) in the long run.
Systematize your stress. Running a business can be stressful, and stress can increase your metabolism (as this is your animal brain thinking you are in direct danger, you need energy to run away from the threat). It is also bad in the long run for your health. Try meditation or a quick walk whenever you feel stressed.

Also make sure you are looking at your systems and optimizations with objectivity. If you think they aren't achieving your goals despite how much time you may have spent on a task or system, change them quickly so you get the compounding effect back on track.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Set a timer every 2 hours on your phone. Then eat .

Just solve the problem and move on - you've already wasted too much time thinking about this.

Achieving any goal in life, requires discipline.
It is no more complicated than that.
Thats a good Idea, I will do that. Thank you

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
I had the same problem.
If you don't eat you can't gain anything. I have to eat 3 pretty big meals and also between the meals. So try to add some healthy snacks between, like peanut butter and rice cakes, add banana slices on top etc. And make sure you get enough protein as well. My morning and lunch meals are more calorie rich and evening meal is a bit smaller.

Make sure you don't do too much cardio.

And yes, if you forget, you should set a timer.
Ill try to eat bigger meals. As well as setting a timer to eat snacks and other things. I also just purchased some protein bars and protein shakes. So hopefully those will help.

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Being an engineer, I like thinking of things in systems. Your body is just another system with inputs and outputs.
Inputs: Food, prescription drugs, exercise, sleep
System functions: Metabolism, cognition, hormones, etc.
Outputs: Weight (Muscle and fat), excrement, mental/physical health.

You need to optimize your inputs and your systems to get the outputs you need. In your case, you want to be at a healthy weight:
Optimize your food for fat and protein content. These macromolecules are harder to break down as opposed to sugars and simple carbohydrates.
Optimize your exercise for more strength training and building muscle. Weight is more than just fat (Side note: Don't use BMI as an indicator for (un)healthy weight), and while fat is good for your overall health, it's best to have it in equal balance with muscle, if not having more muscle than fat.
Optimize your prescriptions (if any). Talk with your doctor about this issue and if there are any medications that are helping or hindering your progress (either with you metabolism or otherwise).

Systems also need optimization in order to get to your goal. If no systems exist, then you are just begging for your goal to never be reached.
Systematize your eating. Like @WestCoast was saying, set a timer that dictates when you eat. Also try meal prepping. When you are pre-allocating and dedicating time to constructing meals, you are setting up a system that says "I spent time making this, I should follow through and eat this."
Systematize your exercise. You may already have some schedule for your exercise, but is it the correct exercise that meets your goals? Aerobics, cardio and breathwork are all good exercise, but they won't help you build muscle (and thus gain weight, your goal) in the long run.
Systematize your stress. Running a business can be stressful, and stress can increase your metabolism (as this is your animal brain thinking you are in direct danger, you need energy to run away from the threat). It is also bad in the long run for your health. Try meditation or a quick walk whenever you feel stressed.

Also make sure you are looking at your systems and optimizations with objectivity. If you think they aren't achieving your goals despite how much time you may have spent on a task or system, change them quickly so you get the compounding effect back on track.

Hope this helps somewhat!
It does help. Thank you

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
What are you eating? You could eat more calorie dense foods. One of my favorites is hard cheese, cured meats and wine. Packed with fat and protein. I'm eating it right now actually, haha.

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
What are you eating? You could eat more calorie dense foods. One of my favorites is hard cheese, cured meats and wine. Packed with fat and protein. I'm eating it right now actually, haha.
Not gonna lie, Im not eating the best foods. Its mainly fast food and microwavable stuff. I need to start setting some time aside to actually cook good meals. Otherwise nothing will probably change. And Im not quite old enough to have wine yet.

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
Not gonna lie, Im not eating the best foods. Its mainly fast food and microwavable stuff. I need to start setting some time aside to actually cook good meals. Otherwise nothing will probably change. And Im not quite old enough to have wine yet.
Diet is the most important thing. Start preparing your own meals and ditch fast food. Its ok sometimes though.

maybe you can get a meal and training plan for yourself

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015

Oh you're young. If you want to eat healthy and still calorie dense, eat lots of rib eye. It's got everything a body needs.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Hey guys, I really need some help. So I'm pretty skinny for my height and weight. I'm 6'3 I weight 143, and I'm 19. So its definitely not healthy. I have a super fast metabolism, but I'm trying to gain weight, but throughout the day I will be working on my business and doing other things and I just forget to eat. So I would like to know some ways you guys manage to maintain your weight while pursuing business. Below I have some pictures of how much I am consuming , and how many calories I am burning. As you can see, I am burning more calories then I am consuming. I still workout daily, as well as go on walks, but whatever reason I struggle to eat. I'm really trying to gain weight though. Its just insane, it feels no matter how much I eat. my body just burns more calories. By the way this is all tracked by my Samsung watch, and the Samsung health app.(yes I am one of the few people who prefer Samsung over apple) As you can see, I'm not even hitting my target calories. But I'm getting plenty of workout time in. For example: today I only consumed 1,671 calories when my target is 2,650 just to maintain my weight.
View attachment 37259View attachment 37260
Honestly, I feel like most people could learn from YOU on how to lose weight or keep from gaining weight. Lol!

Eating more will make you gain weight. Also, it looks like the % of food you get from protein is very low. Increasing that % will help.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Feb 11, 2019
You're eating nowhere enough. I'm 6'4 and I was around 170lbs-ish for the past few years. I got really tired of it and started working out and "bulking". The highest point I reached was about 210lbs, but now have dropped to 195lbs-ish (the gyms are closed).

First of all, forget about fast-metabolism, being an ectomorph, etc. You are eating twice below the calories you need to gain weight. And man, I know how hard it is when you "physically can't eat more".

Smoothies, smoothies, smoothies. Eat your regular, balanced, healthy meals and drink smoothies after them. No matter how full you are, you can chug a smoothie. Oats, peanut powder, olive oil, milk, protein powder. Cost nothing, can easily pack a 1000 calories per smoothie. Add two of those to your daily meals and wolla - you'll gain 5lbs a month for the first few months!

It's hard, miserable at times, don't ask yourself "am I hungry", ask - "can I get some food in me now". And your stomach will expand, and your appetite will increase, it will get easier and will be very, very worth it.

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Do you make protein shakes in the mixer? Its easier to drink lots of calories than to eat them.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
ooh, sorry I missed this! As someone on the other side, finally, let me tell you what worked (YMMV):

- eating nutrient dense foods
- bodybuilding
- eating high fat foods (like nuts and avocados)
- getting as close to whole foods as possible
- daily smoothies with protein powder
- getting bloodwork done (turns out I have a double genetic mutation that cramped my ability to absorb nutrients, so even though I was eating plenty of Kcals, it wasn't sticking. You're not even getting enough)
- seeing an allergist (I have a corn allergy... in America. ugh!)
- waiting until my late 30s when my metabolism finally slowed down and I didn't have to constantly deal with my weight

I was on a doctor-prescribed high calorie diet for almost a year as a teen. Ensure tastes nasty. In my 20s, I was hospitalized and almost died because the grief diet took my already thin bod and wiped it out. I didn't have anorexia, but everyone thought I did, and gave me all kinds of stupid advice. At my lightest, as an adult, I was 106# at 5'10" and they turned me away from donating blood. Now I weigh more than enough, and it's fantastic.

Enough about me. Let's talk about you! Here's my expert opinion:
- eat only real food
- learn to cook
- get bloodwork done
- see an allergist
- start working out
- make sure your sleep habits are good
- wash your hands, you do NOT want to get sick

Come back in 6 months and let us know how it goes!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.