The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Have No Idea... ....and maybe I need help...

Idea threads

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Hallo,
I m here for some years now, yes, and I m one of those, who didn t achieve goals.

In the beginning, I had ideas.
I wanted a dropshipstore with 50 items in it.
After the initial euphory I tried to solve my problems with dropship sourcing, shopify and so on.
After two months I recogniced it being a shit and gave up. Being shit means: it was a bad idea AND I didn t want to do the shit to make it right to succeed.

I had a short area of success with trading FFP2 masks, but after the Covid hype I didn t dare to play big.

Than I had the idea of selling imported goods and the same game; I gave up.

I had an idea : a POD shop; T-shirts with prints of graffity photos. The tshirts were great! I bought some, as I liked them.
After about two months I recogniced it being to saturated and I gave up. Yes I even didn t delete the shops and let them run. I was the only customer. But it was shit. Being shit means: it was a bad idea AND I didn t want to do the shit to make it right to succeed.

I had an idea ob building motocross accesories.
I built them and I really had the feeling of doing good.
After constructing, building prototypes and than let them produce, I started advertisement, was disappointed about reactions and.. gave up. I dont really know, but imo there wasn t enough need and /or I didn t make shit enough to succeed.

Now I m out of ideas.

Today I talked with my wife about a entrepreneural career and that it s too late and yes, she said it s not too late.

So I m sitting here and thinking again. In which area I could do it.

What I can do : I can take metal, wood, plastic or similar and build something. My education enables me to take into account mass production eventually.

What I can not do : software, program, SAAS( Though I would love that due to theoretical possibilities), design ( I tried to design digital assets , but they were too bad to even start promising.

Now to the " help people" aspect : I love to help people, but I don t get to the get paid stage.

Now : What I want to do : ecommerce, but I m not able to source things.

In the end, when I read my thread, I read the word I in nearly every line and thet makes me so much more sad.

What should I do ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
I think you mentioned some friend who does very well reselling cars,
but that there's some limitation for you due to your job?

I don't know what exactly it is, but would this limitation still apply if you were
to sell cars to non-resident company or person?

I'm from Eastern Europe and a lot of folks here do one of the following:

- Scour mobile.de all day to find a good car at a good price,
then rush over there to buy it, drive it back here and resell.

- Buy a dozen or more cars in bulk at better price, then here
fix'em up and resell them.

So I'm wondering if from your perspective you could be some sort of intermediate
between those buyers, and original sellers. Cars here sell very well.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hallo,
I m here for some years now, yes, and I m one of those, who didn t achieve goals.

In the beginning, I had ideas.
I wanted a dropshipstore with 50 items in it.
After the initial euphory I tried to solve my problems with dropship sourcing, shopify and so on.
After two months I recogniced it being a shit and gave up. Being shit means: it was a bad idea AND I didn t want to do the shit to make it right to succeed.

I had a short area of success with trading FFP2 masks, but after the Covid hype I didn t dare to play big.

Than I had the idea of selling imported goods and the same game; I gave up.

I had an idea : a POD shop; T-shirts with prints of graffity photos. The tshirts were great! I bought some, as I liked them.
After about two months I recogniced it being to saturated and I gave up. Yes I even didn t delete the shops and let them run. I was the only customer. But it was shit. Being shit means: it was a bad idea AND I didn t want to do the shit to make it right to succeed.

I had an idea ob building motocross accesories.
I built them and I really had the feeling of doing good.
After constructing, building prototypes and than let them produce, I started advertisement, was disappointed about reactions and.. gave up. I dont really know, but imo there wasn t enough need and /or I didn t make shit enough to succeed.

Now I m out of ideas.

Today I talked with my wife about a entrepreneural career and that it s too late and yes, she said it s not too late.

So I m sitting here and thinking again. In which area I could do it.

What I can do : I can take metal, wood, plastic or similar and build something. My education enables me to take into account mass production eventually.

What I can not do : software, program, SAAS( Though I would love that due to theoretical possibilities), design ( I tried to design digital assets , but they were too bad to even start promising.

Now to the " help people" aspect : I love to help people, but I don t get to the get paid stage.

Now : What I want to do : ecommerce, but I m not able to source things.

In the end, when I read my thread, I read the word I in nearly every line and thet makes me so much more sad.

What should I do ?
You seem focused on models rather than the people you serve.

What would happen if you could figure out how to get paid?

Matake007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 23, 2020
Tbh, it seems you're approaching it as solutions in search of problems, with the somewhat exception of the COVID masks but that was clearly a trending item. You have to re-orient your perspective to find and solve legitimate problems. You seem to have the technical capabilities to make something happen but may need support on the marketing/business side of things.

You were making Motocross accessories, how did that really go? Did you start with a singular product with some USP? Did you get them in the hands of real potential users (for free) for unbiased feedback? If they had issues with your items, were those issues solvable? Did you only market via Facebook and then quit or did you try a multi-channeled approach? I can't remember the specific term MJ used in Unscripted but it was along the lines of being in the phase of zero sales/feedback and it being the more challenging phase. You weren't/aren't experiencing any unique challenges really, you're kinda just quitting in the (understandably) most challenging phase of these ventures.

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
I've seen your posts since I joined here, first step just do anything to get the ball rolling. Go knock on a door and offer to clean a window for 5 dollars.

It shouldn't matter if you make money from it or not, just go help someone and ASAP. Keep hearing the positive feedback and get hooked into it.

You need to look at that one chart again "shitty idea with excellent execution" for example.

Oh and read all of @Andy Black threads.

fx.lukasx

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Jan 2, 2021
Slovakia
The whole point is that you should expand your skills.

But...
Based on the way you talk, it seems to me that you did the initial steps and then just stopped, before the first customers came.

I had a failed business selling Rubik's Cube course. It was a valuable product, but not relatively valuable.
But still, I got a few sales. (the lowest-hanging fruit)

I think that after some rounds of tweaking the ads and products, some orders would definitely come.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
It's wonderful that you have such support.

I agree - it's not too late! Why would it be?

What I can not do : software, program, SAAS
Actually, if you're an engineer (this is my assumption), you'd be surprised
how much software engineering is similar to any other engineering.

I think you'd like it!

Happy to help you with some guidance if I can.

As far as starting a business goes,
I know a lot of successful entrepreneurs, and I've noticed
their focus is first on what would sell, and then on how to do it.

While we as engineers tend to focus on "how" first.

So I think it could be inspiring for you to chat with some entrepreneurs you know personally.
And ask them too for some thoughts. You may be surprised and inspired.

Last edited:

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
There are probably a lot of random things people need out there still. For example, a couple I’ve heard about recently:
- easy motorcycle battery charger, possibly using the side stand
- car towing trailer for cars (possibly expensive/rare, so safety is important) that are bigger than usual (manufacture or rent)

mkmiller

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 14, 2023
Arizona
Honestly, your solution is right in front of you when you look in the mirror.

The greatest thing any of us have is 'our' own experiences. So... start thinking of the path you have been on so far, what lessons have been learned, strategies have worked/not worked, etc.

In all of that you will find you have identified a need.

it starts with solving your own need. Then you can sell the solution, as you will 'never' be the only person with the need.

'Solve your own problem, then sell the solution"

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Thanks for your answers.
I needed some time to let the infos and opinion sink in my head and think about them.

I ll just answer the posts one after the other.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
What did you do with the motocross accessories?

How did you promote it and how did you measure the response you got?
Thanks for your questions!

I made the mistake to start with a post on FB, where my "friends" would be my target.
There were some hate answers; people who didn t seem to grant success, and - from one of my best friends - the quote "oh, now you ll get rich!"

This was mainly the point, where I was done with it. I had no more energy. Sure a beginner mistake.

Some friends still ask for these now from time to time and I just give my stock away for free (not really free; i get beer and loyality for it.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I think you mentioned some friend who does very well reselling cars,
but that there's some limitation for you due to your job?

I don't know what exactly it is, but would this limitation still apply if you were
to sell cars to non-resident company or person?

I'm from Eastern Europe and a lot of folks here do one of the following:

- Scour mobile.de all day to find a good car at a good price,
then rush over there to buy it, drive it back here and resell.

- Buy a dozen or more cars in bulk at better price, then here
fix'em up and resell them.

So I'm wondering if from your perspective you could be some sort of intermediate
between those buyers, and original sellers. Cars here sell very well.
Thanks for your reply!

That maybe a good idea. I have thought about that already. Could be profitable in both directions ( old cars back to Germany).

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
You seem focused on models rather than the people you serve.

What would happen if you could figure out how to get paid?
Thanks for your well thought answer!

Well Andy, you have the capability to destroy me fast ! ;)

I thought about these 2 sentences often now and long.

In the meantime I m not longer convinced, that I help people that much. means not alongside my job!

So maybe I don t really help so much people in reality.

One problem is, that in my niches I don t have the reputation of a Guru, whom people believe. So maybe they listen, but do they believe? Plus my niches are small.

And imo, when I found out, when and how I could pay, maybe I would bust my a$$ to scale.... or I would ... I don t know honestly!

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Tbh, it seems you're approaching it as solutions in search of problems, with the somewhat exception of the COVID masks but that was clearly a trending item. You have to re-orient your perspective to find and solve legitimate problems. You seem to have the technical capabilities to make something happen but may need support on the marketing/business side of things.

You were making Motocross accessories, how did that really go? Did you start with a singular product with some USP? Did you get them in the hands of real potential users (for free) for unbiased feedback? If they had issues with your items, were those issues solvable? Did you only market via Facebook and then quit or did you try a multi-channeled approach? I can't remember the specific term MJ used in Unscripted but it was along the lines of being in the phase of zero sales/feedback and it being the more challenging phase. You weren't/aren't experiencing any unique challenges really, you're kinda just quitting in the (understandably) most challenging phase of these ventures.
Thanks for your answer.

I answered the second paragraph some posts above and imo you are right with the phase 3 (resignation, surrender)

Please can you elaborete the sentence : "Tbh, it seems you're approaching it as solutions in search of problems,..."; I don t get the meaning, but it seems important to me.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I've seen your posts since I joined here, first step just do anything to get the ball rolling. Go knock on a door and offer to clean a window for 5 dollars.

It shouldn't matter if you make money from it or not, just go help someone and ASAP. Keep hearing the positive feedback and get hooked into it.

You need to look at that one chart again "shitty idea with excellent execution" for example.

Oh and read all of @Andy Black threads.
Thank you for your answer.

it is so the truth!
And yes, Andy is a phenomena!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for your well thought answer!

Well Andy, you have the capability to destroy me fast ! ;)

I thought about these 2 sentences often now and long.

In the meantime I m not longer convinced, that I help people that much. means not alongside my job!

So maybe I don t really help so much people in reality.

One problem is, that in my niches I don t have the reputation of a Guru, whom people believe. So maybe they listen, but do they believe? Plus my niches are small.

And imo, when I found out, when and how I could pay, maybe I would bust my a$$ to scale.... or I would ... I don t know honestly!
Start first. Scale later.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
The whole point is that you should expand your skills.

But...
Based on the way you talk, it seems to me that you did the initial steps and then just stopped, before the first customers came.

I had a failed business selling Rubik's Cube course. It was a valuable product, but not relatively valuable.
But still, I got a few sales. (the lowest-hanging fruit)

I think that after some rounds of tweaking the ads and products, some orders would definitely come.
Thanks for your answer.

Encouraging words!

A question:

Where do you offer your course?

When you went through the way of making a course, what prevents you from making another?

How much in detail goes your course? Only just solving the cube or detailing shortcuts, too?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
It's wonderful that you have such support.

I agree - it's not too late! Why would it be?

Actually, if you're an engineer (this is my assumption), you'd be surprised
how much software engineering is similar to any other engineering.

I think you'd like it!

Happy to help you with some guidance if I can.

As far as starting a business goes,
I know a lot of successful entrepreneurs, and I've noticed
their focus is first on what would sell, and then on how to do it.

While we as engineers tend to focus on "how" first.

So I think it could be inspiring for you to chat with some entrepreneurs you know personally.
And ask them too for some thoughts. You may be surprised and inspired.
Thanks for your inspiring words!

I actually don t know, what to answer: ;)

Thanks for your offer of guidance. When I someday have the right questions in my head, I ll pm you. But maybe I ll pm you allready, when I have only silly questions! ;)

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
There are probably a lot of random things people need out there still. For example, a couple I’ve heard about recently:
- easy motorcycle battery charger, possibly using the side stand
- car towing trailer for cars (possibly expensive/rare, so safety is important) that are bigger than usual (manufacture or rent)
Thanks for your answer!
Some interesting ideas.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Honestly, your solution is right in front of you when you look in the mirror.

The greatest thing any of us have is 'our' own experiences. So... start thinking of the path you have been on so far, what lessons have been learned, strategies have worked/not worked, etc.

In all of that you will find you have identified a need.

it starts with solving your own need. Then you can sell the solution, as you will 'never' be the only person with the need.

'Solve your own problem, then sell the solution"
Thanks for your answer!

It sounds so easy, if it s summarized in some sentences.

But here s my problem, I think. Execution....

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Thanks for your questions!

I made the mistake to start with a post on FB, where my "friends" would be my target.
There were some hate answers; people who didn t seem to grant success, and - from one of my best friends - the quote "oh, now you ll get rich!"

This was mainly the point, where I was done with it. I had no more energy. Sure a beginner mistake.

Some friends still ask for these now from time to time and I just give my stock away for free (not really free; i get beer and loyality for it.
This seems promising.

Your friends are not your customers.

Maybe it’s worth looking into this and seeing how you can promote / advertise it?

People asking for it means some potential, if you can get people to pay for it, even better

Miha99

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Apr 21, 2022
Expand your skill set.

You said you don't know SaaS, programming, or delegation. So what? You can always outsource.

Things that are going to be crucial and hard to Outsource without any basic knowledge are:

1. SALES (Talking, Charisma, confidence, People skills, Accountability)

2. Basic Marketing (Creativity, Branding, Presentations)

3. Communication and Learning to talk effectively to influence people (more or less what you learn in sales)

I didn't know any of those things, but guess what? I started to learn because I have the mindset that I can learn anything if I put my will, time, and effort into it.

Change that. Start somewhere, you will need basic sales skills and basic Marketing skills in any kind of fast-lane Business.

It's not hard to learn that—read some books, do some sales job, practice, et cetera. Build a Landing page and practice some Copywriting.

That will get you steps closer to the end goal.

Ideas will come, focusing on the problems and complaints of people in everyday life.

Focus on Business fields that are making money but could be improved, focus on the complaints of people in those existing and profitable businesses.

And ask yourself how I could skew value.

Actually, I reread Millionaire Fast lane or Unscripted , I have been reading them since 2017 or 2018.
I always find something I missed or learn something new, even after reading 3–4 times.
That book has all the answers for Business.

CENTS COMMANDMENTS
7 P's of Process
ACT, ASSES, ADJUST.

Pick up a Pen, shut down your phone, and start asking questions.
Be aware in everyday life situations, open your eyes and ears.

When you go to the gym, do you hate something or don't like something specifically?

Was the worker rude? Are people throwing the weights all over the place? Does the gym attract a certain type of person that you just don't like?
I used the gym just as an Example here.

Most of all, deliver value everywhere. Make it a Habit.

Even in your post, try to do Grammar checks and make it sound cleaner or more to the point.
Use these BOLD LETTERS to make it easier for people to read.

The Ideas will come, go outside your house, go to a karate class, go to some restaurant, or maybe travel. You have to be active and do stuff in the world to find an Idea, or, better said, the idea will find you then.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Today I uploaded a low content book to KDP, as I wanted to experience the method of publishing.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Today I uploaded a low content book to KDP, as I wanted to experience the method of publishing.
What are you doing about the motocross accessories that people are asking for?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria