The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I have an idea but...

Idea threads

Itsmeantonios

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 28, 2020
Canada
I have an idea for a mobile app. Does it make CENTS?

C - Do I control it? The development and the app itself, yes, but I don't control Google Play Store or Apple Store. A risk I would have to take. I could sell the app myself from a website but that is well known to not be effective when it comes to mobile apps. A good recent example is a big mobile game launching on Android, the developers didn't want to pay Google their royalties for the store so they only sold it from their website. A few months later they caved and started selling it on Google Play, and this was for a pretty massively popular PC game. So, using the store is pretty much a must.

E - Entry...Developing an app isn't the easiest thing in the world, but not the hardest either. There are tonnes of apps in the app store but...

N - Does the market need my app? Well, I can't find any apps in the Google Play store that do what I am thinking of. I searched online and found some seemingly dead projects from 5+ years ago, so either they never got made or got removed from the store. There's no way for me to know. That either means there's no market need for the app, or people don't know they need it yet :rofl: The topic of my app is something that a lot of people obsess over so I figure there would be a need, but I don't really have a way to test it. I could possibly set up a poll or a way to get inside the minds of my target audience on a forum somewhere to determine if there would be a need for it, but I'm not sure.

Whether the need is there is a huge point so I would like to be sure, I just don't know how I can prove it.

T - Can I separate my income from Time? Yep, once I create the app, get it on the store, market it the best I can and respond to customers for the first while it can be separated from my time with minimal upkeep.

S - Can it scale? Well, yeah! Every person with an Android phone could download my app and use it.

Alright, well, that's kind of out of the way.

The issue is with monetization. Looking through the app store, I noticed people would complain about the price of apps a lot, even if they were only $2-3. When I was looking if there was an app that could measure things in your room (this was another NEED I was checking if it had been filled adequately), I found some, and found they had quite positive reviews...but there were always bad reviews saying "I don't want to pay money for this." OOOkk.. So people just want a very useful tool for free then?

Maybe people are used to getting a lot of apps for free on mobile and dealing with ads within the app? I personally hate that and if there is something I REALLY want, I will pay for it, but I don't use a lot of mobile apps. I don't think that's how I would want to monetize my app.

My idea would involve both people contributing to the system, and users of the system. I figured people contributing (and using) could use the app for free, where people only using the app would have to pay for it. My initial thoughts were something like a 7 days free trial (without having to first enter your payment information because I personally HATE it when apps do that) with a low monthly subscription of $1.99 or something like that.

There's a known fact about web apps and/or ecosystems. If it's free, then you're the product. I don't want to have to rely on ad revenue.

This may seem like a really dumb thing to say considering my idea, but has anyone on this forum learned how to make apps for Android? I know literally nothing about it, but have an abundance of time to learn. Just wondering how long it might take me to learn how to make Android apps. I've worked with computers all my life but not specifically in programming. I will be searching youtube etc for this shortly after writing this forum post as well. Needing to learn how to program an app/website never stopped MJ!

Thoughts?

And thanks in advance!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Itsmeantonios

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 28, 2020
Canada
An idea doesn't have to meet cents to start with, that can happen later, MJ did a thread, you can search it.

You can do experiments to guage need, search lean startup & lean canvas for ideas how.
MJ says in his books that the best shot you have at success is by meeting the CENTS requirements. So if I can fulfill those with an idea from the start I would rather do that, unless it's a really good idea that doesn't quite fulfill it but I think it could later on.

But Need is one of the most important ones. If I can't confirm it fills the need then there's almost no reason to move forward.

I will look into those terms you mentioned. Thanks!

Evan G

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
May 24, 2020
Arkansas
MJ says in his books that the best shot you have at success is by meeting the CENTS requirements. So if I can fulfill those with an idea from the start I would rather do that, unless it's a really good idea that doesn't quite fulfill it but I think it could later on.

Hey good luck with your app!

If you're worried about need, perhaps you can do some advertising that takes potential leads to a landing page describing the app. Gauge if there's any interest that way as you work on it. Read a similar approach in this thread.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Aloha,

Indie Dev here from Dublin, Ireland. I'm no expert but here's a few nuggets:

My app partner and I started making apps a few years ago and even though we've made some good simple ones generating a few thousand dollars it really is all about the "Queen", your marketing, something we haven't cracked yet!
Sample: ‎IrishMoji Magic

Few quick tips from some hard learned lessons....

Entry: Regular Apps are relatively easy $100-$1000 to make but complex ones are not... If you have 3-5 years def. learn to code yourself. There are at least 3 online universities that can achieve great results in 6-12 months but you have to commit fully. Eg. Lambda School Good comparative analysis on Quora if you dig a little. You also have to pay them after you get a job. But it's a great way to get focussed results fast. This might still be valid: Google Offers A Free Crash Course In Android Development – TechCrunch

I went the outsourcing route and its a minefield as dev's are (generally speaking) as dodgy as car mechanics only you lose/spend/waste a LOT more money. If outsourcing use Upwork.com as their escrow payment system is the safest!

Control: I was on the INSIDERS call with Mj and Vigilante the other night and they said its cool. Its in Apple/Google interest to keep a stable ecosystem and they havent ever changed their 30% commission, in fact if you're on a subscription app Apple drops it to 15% in year two.

Need: Try to do what I'm completely shit at doing as I'm a bit OCD. Build a quick prototype and release it to the Marketmind for feedback. Its def. easier to get feedback re. reviews on Android for some reason. Also try "Apps gone free", its a handy trick to get reviews and feedack. Also as Evan says make a landing page, have a lead magnet e.g. free PDF and run some FB adds to bring people there!

Time: 100% Yes its why I got into apps. Right now I only make pocket money but its still good to wake up knowing my apps have made a few dollars!

Scale: 100% Yes its why I got into apps though 90% of revenue seems to come from the USA... perhaps this is across the board I dont know...

Monitisation: Typically iOS Apple Apps count for 90% of revenue, Android for 10%. Ironic as its FAR harder to make Android apps due to all the various devices, but Android users just don't like paying for stuff. Was a tough pill to swallow but iOS users dont mind paying for quality.

We're just testing out our first subscription app now.. with a 7 day free trial. Will keep the forum posted as I begin my Quest to complete a trilogy of the Worlds most fun Mental Health apps and 10x the Law of Effection!!! #MicroProgressMacroPatience

Any Admins reading this can I ask is there currently or is there perhaps an argument for an App Developer section of the forum?

Sláinte

Last edited:

Itsmeantonios

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 28, 2020
Canada
Aloha,

Indie Dev here from Dublin, Ireland. I'm no expert but here's a few nuggets:

My app partner and I started making apps a few years ago and even though we've made some good simple ones generating a few thousand dollars it really is all about the "Queen", your marketing, something we haven't cracked yet!
Sample: ‎IrishMoji Magic

Few quick tips from some hard learned lessons....

Entry: Regular Apps are relatively easy $100-$1000 to make but complex ones are not... If you have 3-5 years def. learn to code yourself. There are at least 3 online universities that can achieve great results in 6-12 months but you have to commit fully. Eg. Lambda School Good comparative analysis on Quora if you dig a little. You also have to pay them after you get a job. But it's a great way to get focussed results fast. This might still be valid: Google Offers A Free Crash Course In Android Development – TechCrunch

I went the outsourcing route and its a minefield as dev's are (generally speaking) as dodgy as car mechanics only you lose/spend/waste a LOT more money. If outsourcing use Upwork.com as their escrow payment system is the safest!

Control: I was on the INSIDERS call with Mj and Vigilante the other night and they said its cool. Its in Apple/Google interest to keep a stable ecosystem and they havent ever changed their 30% commission, in fact if you're on a subscription app Apple drops it to 15% in year two.

Need: Try to do what I'm completely shit at doing as I'm a bit OCD. Build a quick prototype and release it to the Marketmind for feedback. Its def. easier to get feedback re. reviews on Android for some reason. Also try "Apps gone free", its a handy trick to get reviews and feedack. Also as Evan says make a landing page, have a lead magnet e.g. free PDF and run some FB adds to bring people there!

Time: 100% Yes its why I got into apps. Right now I only make pocket money but its still good to wake up knowing my apps have made a few dollars!

Scale: 100% Yes its why I got into apps though 90% of revenue seems to come from the USA... perhaps this is across the board I dont know...

Monitisation: Typically iOS Apple Apps count for 90% of revenue, Android for 10%. Ironic as its FAR harder to make Android apps due to all the various devices, but Android users just don't like paying for stuff. Was a tough pill to swallow but iOS users dont mind paying for quality.

We're just testing out our first subscription app now.. with a 7 day free trial. Will keep the forum posted as I try to complete my trilogy of the Worlds most fun Mental Health apps and 10x the Law of Effection!!! #MicroProgressMacroPatience

Any Admins reading this can I ask is there currently or is there perhaps an argument for an App Developer section of the forum?

Sláinte

Interesting. Thanks for the information!

Considering Android has a much higher market share, as far as the sheer number of devices out there it's surprising that you say your income is 90% iOS and 10% Android.

What you say about Android users not wanting to pay for things sounds reaffirming of what I said about users giving a negative review of an app just because they think it should be free and don't want to pay for it.

After doing more research I'm not sure my idea is so great after all, though could still use some proper market research to find out. I made a post on a target forum but the moderators removed it for spam. It wasn't even an advertisement or anything, I had just asked a question... So I'm currently trying to communicate with the moderators to see if I can get my question back up there.

There are several avenues I want to pursue. One of them I am going to do first because I can do it pretty quickly. Write a few self published books on some topics I know a lot about and get them up on Amazon and wherever else, mostly as a confidence booster.

Second there a few "dream" games I want to make for PC. I am not a game developer though and making just one of these games would be a LONG road. Likely 3 years at the least to learn and build a game. I'm better off learning and building and releasing smaller less ambitious games while leading up to my real desired project.

But again, that's a very long road.

Anyway, thanks for your insight into apps!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.