The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I Dropped Out of College and Bought a Porsche. Here’s How.

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
First, a word of reassurance: I didn’t do it by selling that headline or any other coaching bullshit (and never will, God willing), so no need to worry about any forthcoming offer to buy my "usually $1999, now just $79 Exclusive Training System”.

I did it by screwing up to the point that the statistics gods took pity on me and gave me a win. Let’s just say that the threshold was embarrassingly high. Some cringe-worthy moments for your enjoyment:

>Formed an LLC and opened a company bank account before I had an actual company. Ended up having to pay hundreds of dollars in fees for an idea I quickly realized would never work.

>Flew out of the country for sales meetings at age 19. Closed a customer for $5k+. Never followed up.

>Grew a prelaunch instagram account in 2 months to 5k people that actively wanted what I was planning to sell. Then I got really sick and forgot about it for months.

This is a micro-selection of my F*ckups, as I’m still hoping for a bit of respect here.

So what finally worked?

This is going to come as a huge surprise *sarcasm*, but it was the simplest thing with the greatest demand. It’s not fun, sexy, or easy (unlike the sex toys I once tried selling).

I’m a writer.

Back when I started this whole “entrepreneur” thing, I began working on Upwork. My very first job was some editing for a legal blog.

I F*cking hated it and the pay was shit. But people had always said I was good with words, so I kept going.

As I tripped all over myself in the “real” business world, I kept taking Upwork jobs for extra spending money. I ended up going to an in-state school that I hated, but kept writing.

And then I hit that magical point in the hockey stick curve.

Suddenly, I had something of an impressive portfolio. And clients were willing to pay what 20-year-old me considered to be absurd hourly rates.

So I stepped it up. My focus shifted away from “Introduction to Environmental Ethics” (don’t laugh, it was required and I hated it) and into sales books. I read everything I could on people skills, got over my lifelong fear of phone calls, and had a huge number of embarrassing rejections.

Flash forward to fall of 2017. A big client called, furious about a misunderstanding and consequent F*cked-up deadline. She was intent on firing me.

After 15 minutes on the phone, she was paying me double on a new project.

Now, I think of myself as something of the “Business Owner Whisperer”. If I get contact, I’m almost certain to get the contract. I use Upwork to hire help, not find jobs.

And, surprise surprise, it turns out that actually WORKING at something for four years and building it from the ground up is what sparks real passion, not some baseless feeling of liking something. (Where have I heard that before?)

Then, the day before my 22nd birthday, my doctor gave me the test results.

(To be continued)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Cliffhanger! Nice... or bad... I can’t tell.

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
Cliffhanger... keeping that open loop wanting to be closed in readers heads - classic.

How do you go about finding clients to sell to?

I'll close the loop soon, I promise! Thanks for reading.

The thing that has surprised me most was the absurd power of asking for a referral. I'd say 50% or more of my new business has stemmed from just asking a happy client if they know anyone that could benefit from what I do. Of course, this is predicated on kicking a$$ on the original job, but you should be doing that anyway.

Obviously, I have other methods for the remaining 50%...but I can't open the trench coat *all* the way yet!

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
I'll close the loop soon, I promise! Thanks for reading.

The thing that has surprised me most was the absurd power of asking for a referral. I'd say 50% or more of my new business has stemmed from just asking a happy client if they know anyone that could benefit from what I do. Of course, this is predicated on kicking a$$ on the original job, but you should be doing that anyway.

Obviously, I have other methods for the remaining 50%...but I can't open the trench coat *all* the way yet!
Ay man no worries, thats a simple and really good idea I should be doing right now... thanks so much Imma try it!!

p.s. Congrats on your successes/new porsche!!

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
Part Two
I always had problems with staying consistent.

There’d be periods of a few weeks or months where I’d start new companies, read like my life depended on it, stick to 5am morning routines, and generally love everything.

And then I’d do nothing for a couple months and F*ck up all the progress I made. I’d sleep till noon, then watch tv shows, spend some time wallowing in self-loathing, and go back to bed. Sometimes I’d even try to take my life.

Any guesses what the test said?

For the non-psychologists out there, I have bipolar 1 disorder. That means that, if most people’s lives can be represented as a slightly bumpy road, mine is a rocketship with a bungee cord attached to the ground. I’ll take off, crash back to earth, take off again…you get the picture.

And now, an exclusive look into my thought process upon hearing this news:

F*ck.

They say the biggest challenge for people with bipolar is career stability. Because of those huge ups and downs, it’s tough to stay consistent enough to keep a job.

But here’s the part where I thank MJ, myself, the people of this forum, and those statistics gods I mentioned before:

I will never have to worry about that.

At any given point, anywhere in the world, I know that I can have someone paying me within a week. I don’t have a set schedule, and can work around my swings.

This week, I hired my first real employee. I’m about to hire the second. Business is booming.

But there are still some very shitty parts.

A couple weeks ago I horribly miscalculated cash flow and, because I’m pouring almost everything back into expansion, ended up dead broke. Clients refuse to pay on time and I’ll have to hound them, while remaining pleasant, for weeks. Files corrupt, submissions are rejected, and customers lose their temper. But it’s all worth it.

Oh yeah. I also bought a Porsche Cayenne GTS last month.

It’s really F*cking fast.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
I like your style! He hit us with the cliffhanger haha.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
At any given point, anywhere in the world, I know that I can have someone paying me within a week. I don’t have a set schedule, and can work around my swings.

Ah yes, a beautiful place to be, congrats!

A couple weeks ago I horribly miscalculated cash flow and, because I’m pouring almost everything back into expansion, ended up dead broke.

Don't mean to be a buzzkill, but these two sentences don't make sense. Doesn't sound like you can afford to be buying such an extravagance. I don't understand how someone owns a Porsche and two weeks earlier (or later) could potentially "be broke." This means you can't afford it and have justified the purchase.

Grow your business. Explode your income. Don't jeopardize the freedom for a damn car that most people don't give a crap about. Just my 2c.

Last edited:

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
Don't mean to be a buzzkill, but these two sentences don't make sense. Doesn't sound like you can afford to be buying such an extravagance. I don't understand how someone owns a Porsche and two weeks earlier (or later) could potentially "be broke." This means you can't afford it and have justified the purchase.

Grow your business. Explode your income. Don't jeopardize the freedom for a damn car that most people don't give a crap about. Just my 2c.

Hey MJ, thanks for the kind words and very warranted advice! A few things I didn't mention before: I had no car to begin with (to help save) and desperately needed one, and I actually got this car for way less than most people spend on "normal" ones... but I figured the title could use some sparkle! And one more edit, the brokeness was in relation to "company money" after accounting for living expenses. But you're very right about the importance of not justifying stupid expenses, and I'm working actively to avoid that!

Growing the company is my #1 priority, and I hope to have more good news to report there soon. Thanks again for reading, and for starting me down this path with your book.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
So I stepped it up. My focus shifted away from “Introduction to Environmental Ethics” (don’t laugh, it was required and I hated it) and into sales books. I read everything I could on people skills, got over my lifelong fear of phone calls, and had a huge number of embarrassing rejections.

(To be continued)
Are there any books/resources that were monumental in your development of people skills? I have come a long way but am still striving to continue my development.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Are there any books/resources that were monumental in your development of people skills? I have come a long way but am still striving to continue my development.

just go outside and talk to random people, or u could try bars maybe

pics of car!?! love the cayenne

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
Damn I think I may have bipolar 1 disorder as well. Anyways keep going bro don't stop, always try to relax when you feel stressed out. Music helps me a lot, I also try to stay reading positive things and other people success stories to keep myself motivated.

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014

Damn I think I may have bipolar 1 disorder as well. Anyways keep going bro don't stop, always try to relax when you feel stressed out. Music helps me a lot, I also try to stay reading positive things and other people success stories to keep myself motivated.

While there are a few books I'll recommend (Secrets of Closing the Sale, the Like Switch, and the Charisma Myth), PLEASE do not make the mistake of confusing reading with working. I've gotten trapped in that cycle of letting myself feel good about "productive procrastination" too many times to endorse it! There's a place for learning, but it's only to fill gaps that you recognize while actually getting shit done.

Thanks for the kind words Carlitos! And if you really feel it's a possibility, I highly recommend going in for an evalutation. More comprehensive knowledge of who you are and how your brain works is always beneficial, no matter the condition it's in!

bringitnow28329

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 30, 2013
Providence
Why would you buy a Porsche if you were dead broke a couple weeks ago?

Part Two
I always had problems with staying consistent.

There’d be periods of a few weeks or months where I’d start new companies, read like my life depended on it, stick to 5am morning routines, and generally love everything.

And then I’d do nothing for a couple months and f*ck up all the progress I made. I’d sleep till noon, then watch tv shows, spend some time wallowing in self-loathing, and go back to bed. Sometimes I’d even try to take my life.

Any guesses what the test said?

For the non-psychologists out there, I have bipolar 1 disorder. That means that, if most people’s lives can be represented as a slightly bumpy road, mine is a rocketship with a bungee cord attached to the ground. I’ll take off, crash back to earth, take off again…you get the picture.

And now, an exclusive look into my thought process upon hearing this news:

f*ck.

They say the biggest challenge for people with bipolar is career stability. Because of those huge ups and downs, it’s tough to stay consistent enough to keep a job.

But here’s the part where I thank MJ, myself, the people of this forum, and those statistics gods I mentioned before:

I will never have to worry about that.

This week, I hired my first real employee. I’m about to hire the second. Business is booming.

But there are still some very shitty parts.

A couple weeks ago I horribly miscalculated cash flow and, because I’m pouring almost everything back into expansion, ended up dead broke. Clients refuse to pay on time and I’ll have to hound them, while remaining pleasant, for weeks. Files corrupt, submissions are rejected, and customers lose their temper. But it’s all worth it.

It’s really f*cking fast.

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
Why would you buy a Porsche if you were dead broke a couple weeks ago?

Appreciate the very justified question! If you check my response to MJ, the "brokenness" was in reference to business operation, not personal finances. Thanks for reading!

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
What a great story.

"Writer with depressive tendencies and a self-destructive streak" hits too close to home for me. I'm glad you're having success in overcoming it. (And you found it early in life, too!)

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
While there are a few books I'll recommend (Secrets of Closing the Sale, the Like Switch, and the Charisma Myth), PLEASE do not make the mistake of confusing reading with working. I've gotten trapped in that cycle of letting myself feel good about "productive procrastination" too many times to endorse it! There's a place for learning, but it's only to fill gaps that you recognize while actually getting sh*t done.

Thanks for the kind words Carlitos! And if you really feel it's a possibility, I highly recommend going in for an evalutation. More comprehensive knowledge of who you are and how your brain works is always beneficial, no matter the condition it's in!
What kind of doctor do i go in for an evaluation? Is the evaluation expensive?

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
What kind of doctor do i go in for an evaluation? Is the evaluation expensive?

My (totally unqualified and not to be taken as official medical advice) suggestion would be to start with a basic psychiatrist. The cost will range from $0 to a few hundred depending on things like insurance and choice of practitioner. DM me if you want to talk more about it!

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Nov 15, 2022
First, a word of reassurance: I didn’t do it by selling that headline or any other coaching bullshit (and never will, God willing), so no need to worry about any forthcoming offer to buy my "usually $1999, now just $79 Exclusive Training System”.

I did it by screwing up to the point that the statistics gods took pity on me and gave me a win. Let’s just say that the threshold was embarrassingly high. Some cringe-worthy moments for your enjoyment:

>Formed an LLC and opened a company bank account before I had an actual company. Ended up having to pay hundreds of dollars in fees for an idea I quickly realized would never work.

>Flew out of the country for sales meetings at age 19. Closed a customer for $5k+. Never followed up.

>Grew a prelaunch instagram account in 2 months to 5k people that actively wanted what I was planning to sell. Then I got really sick and forgot about it for months.

This is a micro-selection of my F*ckups, as I’m still hoping for a bit of respect here.

So what finally worked?

This is going to come as a huge surprise *sarcasm*, but it was the simplest thing with the greatest demand. It’s not fun, sexy, or easy (unlike the sex toys I once tried selling).

I’m a writer.

Back when I started this whole “entrepreneur” thing, I began working on Upwork. My very first job was some editing for a legal blog.

I F*cking hated it and the pay was shit. But people had always said I was good with words, so I kept going.

As I tripped all over myself in the “real” business world, I kept taking Upwork jobs for extra spending money. I ended up going to an in-state school that I hated, but kept writing.

Suddenly, I had something of an impressive portfolio. And clients were willing to pay what 20-year-old me considered to be absurd hourly rates.

Flash forward to fall of 2017. A big client called, furious about a misunderstanding and consequent F*cked-up deadline. She was intent on firing me.

Now, I think of myself as something of the “Business Owner Whisperer”. If I get contact, I’m almost certain to get the contract. I use Upwork to hire help, not find jobs.

And, surprise surprise, it turns out that actually WORKING at something for four years and building it from the ground up is what sparks real passion, not some baseless feeling of liking something. (Where have I heard that before?)

(To be continued)
Really good story, makes me inspired

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

So what finally worked?

I’m a writer.

(To be continued)

Very relatable.

I am continually humbled by reading what people do at such a young age. I salute you sir, it took me over 18 years of adulthood before I worked that shit out.

Look forward to the next installment.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.