The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I bought my first rental property. Here’s how I did it and what I learned.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Banks don't give a F*ck about where you're living. Their 'net worth' calculations are designed to make you feel richer than you are so you'll leverage yourself more aggressively and take bigger risks. They just want to know what they can pillage if things goes south.
Depends where you live. In Pennsylvania, your home is f*cked in Bankruptcy.

In Texas, your home is protected by homestead laws, and there is no limit.

And again, if you apply for certain loan types, this primary residence equity does factor into your net worth and will increase the loan size. Because it increase the amount of capital you can draw on in the form of HELOCs and things like that.

If you have a $1,000,000 home, paid off in cash, yes, that is a significant asset you could leverage if you needed some money.

It's strange to pick the accredited investor rules as a way to define what is and is not an asset. Even your car(s) are assets. The computer you are using is an asset. Those would fall under personal property. Your home is real property, just like the building your business uses, or a rental property, whether in your name or the name of a business entity you own shares of.

I don't really care about being an accredited investor unless it's a way to keep score. Being an LP to someone's fund or syndication is slowlane, unless it's part of your broader investment picture.

You need to be accredited to buy into Grant Cardone's fund. But guess what? Grant Cardone is the fastlaner. He's the guy borrowing off of his multi-million dollar condo, his primary residence, to put up some money into his own fund to make fastlane returns from AUM and all his LP's.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Depends where you live. In Pennsylvania, your home is f*cked in Bankruptcy.

In Texas, your home is protected by homestead laws, and there is no limit.

And again, if you apply for certain loan types, this primary residence equity does factor into your net worth and will increase the loan size. Because it increase the amount of capital you can draw on in the form of HELOCs and things like that.

If you have a $1,000,000 home, paid off in cash, yes, that is a significant asset you could leverage if you needed some money.

It's strange to pick the accredited investor rules as a way to define what is and is not an asset. Even your car(s) are assets. The computer you are using is an asset. Those would fall under personal property. Your home is real property, just like the building your business uses, or a rental property, whether in your name or the name of a business entity you own shares of.

I don't really care about being an accredited investor unless it's a way to keep score. Being an LP to someone's fund or syndication is slowlane, unless it's part of your broader investment picture.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. You asked where it was written and I directed you to a reputable source.
I'm sure a finance major will jump in and say these versions are both wrong.
(@MJ DeMarco maybe this is in your wheelhouse?)
At the end of the day, it's likely dependent on who is doing the evaluation and for what purpose.

As you've explained, your situation with traditional lenders and collateralized assets prefers to see your home as an asset in your net-worth statement. In my situation, I am asked to prove I'm an accredited investor in due diligence and keep it out of my net-worth calculation. For you it would only be about keeping score. For me it's required for closing some deals.

Both concepts clearly can, and do, coexist.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.