The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I called the potential fastlane mentors phone number, now Im confused as shit...

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
We had a surprise seminar in out school with a person, who I could only presume had become a part of the fastlane. He was talking about making his own multi-million business, meditating in the mountain of Nepal, the whole nine yards. From the start I knew that I should do everything in my power to get a contact from this guy...

This was a while ago, maybe October 2022, but the most surprising thing of all of it, was the fact that "if we were interested"in what he was saying, he just gave out his phone number...

And for all of these months I've been thinking of contacting him, but I just can't figure out, how it should go down. Do I call? Do I send a message? Do I ask him for his e-mail first? What's the contents of the message? Do I already have to come to him with a business idea for him to consider mentoring me? How does this whole thing happen? Over the span of hours, days, months, years? What do I express the most enthusiasm for - his speech, relatability, goals? How do I make this potential mentor in to a real, life-altering mentor? And all in all, what exactly would I recieve, if I were to be "mentored"?

Continuation: I called him just now and wanted to know more about the type of meditation he does - which was zen- because I am also interested in meditation... Where all this took a left turn, was when suddenly the disccusion was no longer about business, but about how to become enlightened with zen meditation. He started sending me contacts with teachers od mediationa and indroduced me to a zen mediation school which he is also a teacher in, saying how worthy it is - and i don't really doubt that practicing meditation does come with its own fare share of positives in the business sphere, I just don't really get the idea, that this dude is realy psyhced to tell me how to build and sustain a banger business, what do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
Talking about a millionaire mentor, whenever I meet someone new, I always wonder if they are in the fastlane forum or knows MJ DeMarco. Whoever is in the fastlane forum in real life, I would want to be friends with them!

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
So you asked him about meditation and he told you about meditation. What were you expecting? Call him again, have a couple of questions ready for him (related to what you wanna ask him) and tell us how it goes.

Have you tried looking the guy up on the internet? LinkedIn?

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Dec 9, 2016
I understand where your coming form, but my idea is to do just that - not sound needy and fanboy-y , but still show the right amount of respect as to let him know that no matter my invite I think of him highly (or is that exactly the opposite of what, for instance YOU would be looking for?)

Because showing up in his text messages, this number he's never seen before, just asking him to go out sometime, as if I were a close friend or family member, might come across as overzealous to him, making him think that I'm this narcissistic a**hole, when in reality I just want him to help me reach the fastlane.

But you mentioning the fact that the people you meet "casually talk about their business" whilst you spend time together makes me think - do I have to have a business to make him interested in talking to me? Cause I only have a few potential ideas for business and quite frankly wanted to see, what he himself has to say about the idea generation of the whole ordeal...Is that enough though? A few ideas and an undying yearn to learn from his experience and point of view?
I have a feeling that if you don't have a business, you'll be out of talk very quickly. otherwise it will very soon turn into a what if… conversation.
(You could ask his advice in potential ideas, in my opinion i would rather ask the ideas here in the forum.)

it is easier/more interesting to give tactical and practical advice as a mentor. Unless you would benefit from some kind of life coaching session...

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Dec 9, 2016
As said in another post, he does dabble in the art of mediation so the learning possibilities stretch far beyond just business, while that also being one of the main reasons to chat I defenitely don't think it will be the only one. And I think it could be quite beneficial to get mentored through the proccess of starting a business too, not just idea testing by itself. And talking about the ideas, doesn't idea theft happen here? Hasn't there been a time somebody told everyone of the plan they have for their business, and then got that idea stolen?
Idea theft happens everywhere, if you want to do something that has never been done before, it is best to keep this to yourself indeed..

Fasted

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 18, 2021
UK
We had a surprise seminar in out school with a person, who I could only presume had become a part of the fastlane. He was talking about making his own multi-million business, meditating in the mountain of Nepal, the whole nine yards. From the start I knew that I should do everything in my power to get a contact from this guy...

This was a while ago, maybe October 2022, but the most surprising thing of all of it, was the fact that "if we were interested"in what he was saying, he just gave out his phone number...

And for all of these months I've been thinking of contacting him, but I just can't figure out, how it should go down. Do I call? Do I send a message? Do I ask him for his e-mail first? What's the contents of the message? Do I already have to come to him with a business idea for him to consider mentoring me? How does this whole thing happen? Over the span of hours, days, months, years? What do I express the most enthusiasm for - his speech, relatability, goals? How do I make this potential mentor in to a real, life-altering mentor? And all in all, what exactly would I recieve, if I were to be "mentored"?
going by that last paragraph you may as well just send him a dick pic

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

@Mike Partee i hand out my card EVERY time i speak to students. i chastise them to have already connected with me on linkedin before i can walk back to the front of the room. a small % actually call. the ones that do, we do podcasts / find them jobs / change their lives. it is what i do. no red flags. i'll give anyone 5 minutes. 404-216-0140
you should do the same.
Olivia at the front desk was very nice! :)

@Arma WTF are you waiting for?

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
I didn t read all the answers, but I got, what he did : he helped you with the problem you told him.
So maybe you didn t ask him the right questions?

IMO You don t need in first place help him with his problems. He offered to help a beginner ( you) and he did it.
Call him and tell him, you are fascinated about his help, but that you really want to get an entrepreneur at first place3 and only meditate on second!
That would I want to start, and he said that "if I have nay specific questions about business then I can ask him", but seeing as though I am still struggling with the idea brainstorming of my business, I can only come to him empty handed, asking for him to make the business for me :[

eifesu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 21, 2021
That would I want to start, and he said that "if I have nay specific questions about business then I can ask him", but seeing as though I am still struggling with the idea brainstorming of my business, I can only come to him empty handed, asking for him to make the business for me :[
There is a brilliant thread somewhere here about idea generation to execution that you can use. I pretty much use it all the time now because by starting from problem and ending up with a product, it kind of forced me to think about value I am bringing onto the table.

Please, as @Andy Black also posted somewhere in that forum, another thing to keep in mind is to try to start and get feedback as soon as possible from whoever you will be helping and gain momentum. because you probably "already know enough". Things will eventually fall into place if you steer your wheel along with the feedback.

You got this.

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
My guess is @Kung Fu Steve wants to know whether he can help you or otherwise. He is wondering what kind of person you are. He has an idea and it is up to you to prove otherwise.

Don't expect anyone to show you each step of the way. If you think someone is gonna hold your hand and lead you in the darkness, down the aisle of entrepreneurship, you are doing wishful thinking. There are monsters and you must fight them yourself. And the fight is magnificent.

Here you are reminded to do something.

What are you doing? What problem are you solving?

It is easier to help someone in motion.
This is most likely the equivalent of helping an old lady figure out what gmail is, but thank you greatly for your help in understanding what all of this is... I have an idea of a problem to solve, but I am not quite sure if it isn't gonna be snatched here, cause I've heard some idea stealers trot through these forms, but it involves a service that is online - most likely through a website.

Is the first step to start learning how to code what I need or to somehow get an idea of whether it is the type of service people need and if it's the latter - any suggestions or links to other threads?

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Is the first step to start learning how to code what I need or to somehow get an idea of whether it is the type of service people need and if it's the latter - any suggestions or links to other threads?
Have you read The 7 Day Startup? It may take an hour or two to get through. And you may find the answer there.

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
What do you want?

What could you offer him?

Answer those two questions, then place the call. Be open to any possibility.
I want him to mentor me through how to make a solid business, how to become financially free, how to network with people. About the offering though? I don't really know what I can say - a ruthless worker, who tries his best to achieve the neccesary results, learning from my mistakes and who keep pushing when everyone else gave up? Or are we talking more of my skills? How should such a text look like?

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
He didn't give you his number for you to NOT call it
I guess I get that, but wouldn't it seem less pushy to text him instead? Calling seem way more interruptive don't it? And when I do call, do I say: 'hello, could we meet up sometime? I want you to mentor me...yadda, yadda"? How do I bring up the topic of him mentoring me and helping me develop myself, whist not sounding like a leech on his time?

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
Remember, you're a school student that just got introduced to him by the school. Many students will try to call and contact him like you. It's just like what Bizydad says, what do you ACTUALLY want? A mentor? A teacher? A buddy? And what value can you add to him? Being a free helper? Learning from him from experience while getting paid less?

If you want a mentor, say it. No one doesn't like to be a mentor. Don't overcomplicate it and just do it. Good luck though!
I do want a mentor, (but whats the difference between a mentor and teacher exactly?) and I wouldn't mind him being a buddy (most likely he would though) it's just that as you said - what vaule will I be able to bring him? I don't really know what business owners find as valuable. I might even posses one or more of the needed value, just that I don't know what to offer? Skills? Experience? Motivation? Attentivness? I have a lot of questions about all this.

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
When people with low self esteem contact me they start off asking for help and see it like a mentorship.

When people with high self esteem contact me they try to setup some sort of time to hangout or do something fun and then casually talk about their business while being an equal, chatting with a friend.

I've probably had about 500 hours of business discussion with a close friend of mine, but it's always on the side. We go up in the woods and shoot guns, ride jet skis at my house, go get lunch and chat in his showroom, etc. We've each received and given million dollar advice to each other.

Right now you're just fanboying over some dude who makes more money than you. It's a little weird. He will definitely be less inclined to spend time with you, unless he likes charity work in the form of talking to his fans.

"I'm gonna be in your area this week, you free to meetup and chat?" Not cringey, not fanboy-y, not desperate, not over complicated. He's a millionaire (upper middle class), he's not Tom Cruise.
I understand where your coming form, but my idea is to do just that - not sound needy and fanboy-y , but still show the right amount of respect as to let him know that no matter my invite I think of him highly (or is that exactly the opposite of what, for instance YOU would be looking for?)

Because showing up in his text messages, this number he's never seen before, just asking him to go out sometime, as if I were a close friend or family member, might come across as overzealous to him, making him think that I'm this narcissistic a**hole, when in reality I just want him to help me reach the fastlane.

But you mentioning the fact that the people you meet "casually talk about their business" whilst you spend time together makes me think - do I have to have a business to make him interested in talking to me? Cause I only have a few potential ideas for business and quite frankly wanted to see, what he himself has to say about the idea generation of the whole ordeal...Is that enough though? A few ideas and an undying yearn to learn from his experience and point of view?

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
Here is a possible idea. See if your mentor has published anything, read it and send him a comment about the item you read. Phrase your comments in such a manner that it might elicit a response from him. If the person responds, you have made a connection.
Thank you for this idea, because I just looked around and saw that he has written a few articles on a mediation website, that I could potentially makes some comments about, now the question is - what kind of comment should it be: positive? constructively critical? Should be it be about his business as a whole? Its achievements? Him as a person? His beliefs, rituals? And how would such a comment sound, if there wasn't a question involved? and what do I do from there? Just chat him up as any other person in my contacts and not as a millionare?

Chet Shen

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 6, 2022
Sydney
I do want a mentor, (but whats the difference between a mentor and teacher exactly?) and I wouldn't mind him being a buddy (most likely he would though) it's just that as you said - what vaule will I be able to bring him? I don't really know what business owners find as valuable. I might even posses one or more of the needed value, just that I don't know what to offer? Skills? Experience? Motivation? Attentivness? I have a lot of questions about all this.
A business/life coach once told me: A teacher teaches what you should do, a mentor tells you what to do exactly.

No need to think so much. You're literally a student, he should expect some calls that comes towards him from the speech. Btw, have you even called him yet? Don't overcomplicate this, it's just a phone call, ask him if he needs any help. If you keep overcomplicate this, someone might call him and he might not even need you after that. So you better call him fast and don't think so much. Questions to ask yourself:
1)Is there any value I can provide? Promote his business? If you can't, it's fine.
2)What am you looking for? A fastlane mentor? Be specific and know what you want

Don't overcomplicate this. Ask chatgpt if you still don't understand.

And as always, good luck

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
A business/life coach once told me: A teacher teaches what you should do, a mentor tells you what to do exactly.

No need to think so much. You're literally a student, he should expect some calls that comes towards him from the speech. Btw, have you even called him yet? Don't overcomplicate this, it's just a phone call, ask him if he needs any help. If you keep overcomplicate this, someone might call him and he might not even need you after that. So you better call him fast and don't think so much. Questions to ask yourself:
1)Is there any value I can provide? Promote his business? If you can't, it's fine.
2)What am you looking for? A fastlane mentor? Be specific and know what you want

Don't overcomplicate this. Ask chatgpt if you still don't understand.

And as always, good luck
Thanks for the quick response. No, I haven't called him and I get your approach and I am planning to call him very soon. I just have to mull over what I would say and how I could ask for him to be my mentor? And wouldn't you think a text would be better, just so he could potentially read over everything I said, instead of it being one of the many phone calls a millionare gets in a day?

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
I have a feeling that if you don't have a business, you'll be out of talk very quickly. otherwise it will very soon turn into a what if… conversation.
(You could ask his advice in potential ideas, in my opinion i would rather ask the ideas here in the forum.)

it is easier/more interesting to give tactical and practical advice as a mentor. Unless you would benefit from some kind of life coaching session...
As said in another post, he does dabble in the art of mediation so the learning possibilities stretch far beyond just business, while that also being one of the main reasons to chat I defenitely don't think it will be the only one. And I think it could be quite beneficial to get mentored through the proccess of starting a business too, not just idea testing by itself. And talking about the ideas, doesn't idea theft happen here? Hasn't there been a time somebody told everyone of the plan they have for their business, and then got that idea stolen?

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
Idea theft happens everywhere, if you want to do something that has never been done before, it is best to keep this to yourself indeed..
But it would be a better bet to talk with a mentor rather than a fourm full of people to get an idea of whether the a business could have potential, wouldn't it?

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
"Hey (dudes name), my name is Arma. I got your number back in October when you spoke to our class in (name of school). I really liked your talk and haven't stopped thinking about personal development and starting a business since then. If it would be cool with you I'd love to meet up for a coffee to learn more and maybe I might even be of help to you in your business! Thanks"
Bro, I think this answered all of my questions in one go. Because I was thikning of whether to go on a long and deep story of my background and shit, but it seems that a few short sentences can get the idea across perfectly. Thank you.

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
C'mon Mike. I do this all the time. Hell, YOU have my number -- how many times have you called me in the past 6-7 years? (I prefer text, but you get my drift :rofl:).

I also had my cell phone on the bottom of my worksheets I gave out to hundreds of thousands of people... and TOLD them about it... guess how many ever called?

I can count them... and you and I both know I can't count that high
Are there any charecteristics that seperate a caller with potential and someone who just would not be ready for the fastlane?

Arma

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
May 22, 2023
You called him and asked about the type of meditation he does?

Not the way I would have gone, but okay...

And he sent you a bunch of resources on meditation. And he has a school of meditation, where you might want to be a student since you're interested in meditation...

Why would he be psyched to help you build a business if you're interested in talking about meditation?

Of course if you're not actually interested in meditation, then you kind of messed up right from the get-go...

Do you have any idea what kind of business you want to run, or do you want this guy to give you an idea and tell you how to run it?
Yeah, I don't know how we went down the meditation path. I told him, that I couldn't stop thinking about self-improvment and building a business after his talk, invited him to meet me and also mentioned the fact that he talked about meditation (which I kind of did to show him that I payed attention during his talk and also becuase I didn't want it to seem like I only called him to get advice for business as well as the fact that I do want to learn so type of meditation myself)

And then we went down this path of just talking about the different kinds and the layers of meditations and it was quite interesting, but also seemed to stray quite a bit from the inital reason of my call - he started giving me numbers for teachers and telling me what they do and the seminars they hold and the fact that you can call them and set up a meet for 5$ - I didn't know we would go so far down this rabbit hole, but he knew a lot about meditation and seemed to want to share it so I let him tell me more (cause Idk, but saying - ALRIGHT, I DONT CARE ABOUT MEDITATION THAT MUCH, IM HERE FOR THE BUSINESS ADVICE - wouldve been rude imo)

But in the end I explained the fact, that Im more interested in the business side of things - I asked him some questions about how he started his and the basis for having a business although useful info, I had already seen it in TMF , then he said he's driving to the countryside - sent me a pic of beautiful scenery and stopped replying to my messages (which had, by that point transformed into voice messages) - he did say that he could help if I had a certain question about business, but I dont know if he agreed to the aforemontiend meet that I wanted to do - said that he'd given info for me to think about for a few months - I don't know what that means, but I guess I gotta make a business to get to the next level with him.

And for this:
"Do you have any idea what kind of business you want to run, or do you want this guy to give you an idea and tell you how to run it?"

I guess the latter would be perfect, even though I know that sounds like he just does everything for me - but I don't really have a clue of what kind of business I should be making - any advice on where to start?

Len_1590

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 13, 2023
Thanks for the post @Arma!
There are some really good responses from people who are succeeding here and I've been learning a lot from reading them.
Good going on actually doing something as well!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.