The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hyperinflation starting? What's happening in your area? Post your ground reports.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
Hello to everyone. For me, learning more about the political and economical situation in the US is interesting since I consider moving to the USA. At the moment, I am living in Germany and over here, we also have a large inflation; 5% are expected this year compared to -0.5% in the last year. Housing becomes more and more expensive over time. A one-room apartment in cities like Munich and Frankfurt costs around 900$ per month. The gas is also becoming more and more expensive; instead of paying 1.30$ per liter like last year we have to pay 1.75$ and more. With the challenges of the climatic change, at some point around 2030 the governments will most likely prohibit to sell new vehicles that do not use eco-friendly technology. Therefore, I would expect that the gas price as well as the maintenance cost for the automotive vehicles will also increase. Other products damaging the environment such as meat will increase more and more in their price as well or maybe even be forbidden. Summarizing, inflation and the resulting lack of improvement are the reasons why I hate the typical, at best mediocre life more and more. Fortunately, TUNEF does exist.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DonnieBrasco

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Feb 18, 2020
SEA - EU - AFRICA
Rare Metal prices are up, basic supply prices are up, cargo prices are up tremendously (a container that used to cost 4k to ship from CN to USA cost now upwards of 20-25k and there is no end in sight, companies expect further price increases).

This will not end well but there will be many opportunities to create wealth, the average joe will suffer tho

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Rare Metal prices are up, basic supply prices are up, cargo prices are up tremendously (a container that used to cost 4k to ship from CN to USA cost now upwards of 20-25k and there is no end in sight, companies expect further price increases).

This will not end well but there will be many opportunities to create wealth, the average joe will suffer tho
So, what's up with China? They've nationalized their most successful businesses -- which means that central planning will kill the goose that laid the gold egg. They are making their shipping to the USA four or five times more expensive almost over night. That further compounds their business situation. Trump successfully tuned Americans against Chinese goods, and then the virus somehow got lose cementing the reputation. Maybe they are tired of selling their wares? BLM & Antifa were let off of their chains last summer and totally over stepped their stated rolls. Or are they the bulldozers for redeveloping a bunch of inner city areas? Biden and his merry band has quickly turned Americans against the Democratic party and globalists. He has major dumpster fires going on every front.
Why all these moves now ? Why make them in the first place? What is the end game?

DonnieBrasco

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Feb 18, 2020
SEA - EU - AFRICA
So, what's up with China? They've nationalized their most successful businesses -- which means that central planning will kill the goose that laid the gold egg. They are making their shipping to the USA four or five times more expensive almost over night. That further compounds their business situation. Trump successfully tuned Americans against Chinese goods, and then the virus somehow got lose cementing the reputation. Maybe they are tired of selling their wares? BLM & Antifa were let off of their chains last summer and totally over stepped their stated rolls. Or are they the bulldozers for redeveloping a bunch of inner city areas? Biden and his merry band has quickly turned Americans against the Democratic party and globalists. He has major dumpster fires going on every front.
Why all these moves now ? Why make them in the first place? What is the end game?

China is working on becoming the world leading nation / superpower (one could say they are already there but they will most likely manage to become what the USA was in 2000-2010 within the next 3-4 years), this is just one more task on their plan.

Why all these moves? we will find out within the coming years, every major player on the chessboard is making power moves and executes a sinister plan at the moment.

Just keep an eye on the events and try to use them to build wealth for you and your social network, it will definitely stay interesting in the coming years.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
? we will find out within the coming years, every major player on the chessboard is making power moves and executes a sinister plan at the moment.

LOL, America is run by children in adult bodies.

America no longer plays chess, heck, they don't even play checkers either. They play Candyland.

Only a matter of time before we suffer the same demise as Veruca Salt.

"I want the world. I want the whole world. I want to lock it all up in my pocket. It's my bar of chocolate. Give it to me now." ― Veruca Salt

DonnieBrasco

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Feb 18, 2020
SEA - EU - AFRICA

America no longer plays chess, heck, they don't even play checkers either. They play Candyland.

"I want the world. I want the whole world. I want to lock it all up in my pocket. It's my bar of chocolate. Give it to me now." ― Veruca Salt
unfortunately thats true :(, id rather see a world with the usa of the early 2000s or late 90s as a leading force then a chinese ruled world, been living for years in vietnam and that gave me an insight in their mindset and its truly undesirable.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 9, 2021
Anyone else (who hasn't seen great success yet) feel a bit black pilled right now?

Assets get more expensive and my dollars keep getting weaker.

Desperation grows.

Feeling like I'll never get out of this rut and finally see some success.

Bro, same.
I've been busting my a** off to save over half of my monthly wages since I got a professional job after college. I don't make much, but last year I finally hit an amount that could've been used as a down payment on a house! ...but only for the housing prices from when I started to look at local housing in 2015 when homes were 150-200k.
When I checked local housing prices in my city this year, and then a few pocket towns across the southern u.s. that used to be 60k for a trailer on 1 acre, my jaw dropped.
I'm almost completely priced out of the market, and even a few friends with higher paying jobs are starting to see the jaws close.

Permanent rentership wage slavery, brought to you by blackrock.
I hope you like what they have planned for us millenials and zoomers:

1630362653422.png

But instead of being free, imagine a heinous rent.

I have an acquaintance that's trying to buy acreage, but land is not only going up in value, its getting bought up in less than a day. What's worse is that trillion dollar funds are buying up land, subdividing it, and imposing a heinous amount of restrictions to where you'd have to pay them just to clear trees off of your property, let alone try to do anything with it besides a sterile existence.
I don't see this working out for America.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Step by step, a popularist movement is being created here in the USA. And you're right. It's the real adults in the room that are waiting for the hand-off from the ruling class of elderly children -- after this perfect storm shakes it all loose.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just got a quote for my dog toys shipping from China. $466/cbm vs $126/cbm earlier this year. It translates to each dog toy shipping going from $.25 to $.97 just for shipping. This doesn’t includes all the extra fees or surge surcharges.

It means that I’ll have to raise prices on the toy at least $1 to make the same profit. But most businesses don’t mark up 1:1. So the price may be go $2-$3 on a toy that was once $6!

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Just got a quote for my dog toys shipping from China. $466/cbm vs $126/cbm earlier this year. It translates to each dog toy shipping going from $.25 to $.97 just for shipping. This doesn’t includes all the extra fees or surge surcharges.

It means that I’ll have to raise prices on the toy at least $1 to make the same profit. But most businesses don’t mark up 1:1. So the price may be go $2-$3 on a toy that was once $6!
$6k last year vs $18k this year for the same product, same container type, and the same route.

steve schweitzer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Oct 18, 2015
alma, arkansas
This is somewhat unrelated to general inflation for consumer goods but is serious inflation regardless.

As I have posted here, I am a professional vintage auto restorer and my area of specialization is late 60's - early 70's Musclecars, mostly Mopar (Charger, Cuda, Challenger, Roadrunner, Barracuda, etc).

I also buy and sell these type cars sometimes.

I have been in this industry for close to 40 years and have seen multiple up and down cycles but this time feels WAY different.

The price of project cars (even junk) is at LEAST 25% higher than only last year and most are selling and FAST.
As far as higher end cars for example, you could pick up a really nice, investment grade musclecar only last year for in the 50 - 70K range, depending on what it is of course, some are lots more.

These would be pretty nice cars you could keep as part of a collection but still a nice driver. Cars like this are now 75 - 125K and seem to be selling. The really high end stuff that was 75 - 125 last year is now in the 175 - 225 range.

The price of nice original parts have also just exploded in price and stuff sells as fast as it get listed.

The only thing I can assume is that people are realizing cash is pretty much worthless and are buying up everything that could hold its value.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This is somewhat unrelated to general inflation for consumer goods but is serious inflation regardless.

As I have posted here, I am a professional vintage auto restorer and my area of specialization is late 60's - early 70's Musclecars, mostly Mopar (Charger, Cuda, Challenger, Roadrunner, Barracuda, etc).

I also buy and sell these type cars sometimes.

I have been in this industry for close to 40 years and have seen multiple up and down cycles but this time feels WAY different.

The price of project cars (even junk) is at LEAST 25% higher than only last year and most are selling and FAST.
As far as higher end cars for example, you could pick up a really nice, investment grade musclecar only last year for in the 50 - 70K range, depending on what it is of course, some are lots more.

These would be pretty nice cars you could keep as part of a collection but still a nice driver. Cars like this are now 75 - 125K and seem to be selling. The really high end stuff that was 75 - 125 last year is now in the 175 - 225 range.

The price of nice original parts have also just exploded in price and stuff sells as fast as it get listed.

The only thing I can assume is that people are realizing cash is pretty much worthless and are buying up everything that could hold its value.
It was like this at the end of the 1970s. We had high inflation with money chasing goods. That was right after we stood in line for gas for the first time at the beginning of OPEC.

D

Deleted70138

unfortunately thats true :(, id rather see a world with the usa of the early 2000s or late 90s as a leading force then a chinese ruled world, been living for years in vietnam and that gave me an insight in their mindset and its truly undesirable.
You mean USA bombing shit out of countries vs China building infrastructure all over world and lifting hundreds of millions of people out of poverty?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
You mean USA bombing shit out of countries vs China building infrastructure all over world and lifting hundreds of millions of people out of poverty?
I'm gonna leave this reply alone...

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
What's happening in your area with respect to prices?

Food?
Housing?
Cost of Living?
Repair services?
Most price increases in my country, Sweden, seem to be caused by a mix of inflation and other market factors. Food has gotten noticeably more expensive. Vegetables grew 12% more expensive during half of 2019 alone! If I had to estimate, I'd say food prices in general have gone up 30% since 2017. A new tax forces grocery stores to sell plastic bags for one buck a pop. It's a buck, yes, but over a year of shopping it adds up.

Housing is crazy, but that's been the case for years (10 years ago my hometown sold one bedroom apartments for 2000 USD, now the same ones start bidding at 20,000 USD). Since COVID, properties could easily go up 30% in a year. Renting is so strictly regulated that even though there are extreme shortages of housing for rent, and you in some areas have to wait 10 years for a contract, the prices are stable. The apartment I'm renting right now costs 520 USD a month with utilities included, which is very cheap. But the rent control probably contributes to the insane property prices - some people buy because they can't find anything to rent.

Transportation is expensive, most notably owning a car. Just this month a new law went in effect, stating that 95 gas has to be diluted with ethanol because it is more environmentally friendly. But you don't drive as far on a full tank and the ethanol is more expensive than gas.
I wanted to buy a cheap used car this summer, just something to drive from point A to B, and every car dealer told me there was a used car shortage. First, I thought it was a trick to induce a sense of urgency, but then other people confirmed it to me. Finally got one for 6,000 USD whereas I'd initially expected it to land around 4,500-5,000 USD.

Import goods, however, have stayed relatively stable. I believe it's due to the fact that our central bank was the first in the world to introduce negative rates around 2015, causing our currency to plummet in relation to the USD until 2020, when the rest of the world started printing more money and we, on the other hand, increased the repo rates to 0%.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Bro, same.
I've been busting my a** off to save over half of my monthly wages since I got a professional job after college. I don't make much, but last year I finally hit an amount that could've been used as a down payment on a house! ...but only for the housing prices from when I started to look at local housing in 2015 when homes were 150-200k.
When I checked local housing prices in my city this year, and then a few pocket towns across the southern u.s. that used to be 60k for a trailer on 1 acre, my jaw dropped.
I'm almost completely priced out of the market, and even a few friends with higher paying jobs are starting to see the jaws close.

Permanent rentership wage slavery, brought to you by blackrock.
I hope you like what they have planned for us millenials and zoomers:

View attachment 39696

But instead of being free, imagine a heinous rent.

I have an acquaintance that's trying to buy acreage, but land is not only going up in value, its getting bought up in less than a day. What's worse is that trillion dollar funds are buying up land, subdividing it, and imposing a heinous amount of restrictions to where you'd have to pay them just to clear trees off of your property, let alone try to do anything with it besides a sterile existence.
I don't see this working out for America.
"You will own nothing and you will be happy"

This is absolutely crazy. Idk if the world has always been this way but it feels like things have been accelerating.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
i just see the prices of stuff at Costco going down down down on my daily trip.!

so real assets going up in value.
consumables going down.

DoingDeals

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 13, 2021
i just see the prices of stuff at Costco going down down down on my daily trip.!

consumables going down.
Costs are going up everywhere I turn around.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Costs are going up everywhere I turn around.
The cost of lumber is going back down again. I don't know how low the prices will go. We'll see how the prices shake out and the supply chain problems are solved.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Has anyone here ever heard of Hugo Stinnes?

During the Weimar Republic’s massive hyperinflation, Stinnes was called the “Emperor of Germany” and “King of Inflation” because of his clever use of leverage in buying up assets and businesses.

The man died with more than 2,000, (maybe it was 4,000), enterprises under his control.

Somehow he managed it - and most of it fell apart when he died - but some of his subsidiary companies survive to this day in Germany.

Maybe @Ing knows more?

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 9, 2021

consumables going down.

Hahaha I wish!
What products are you looking at?
When I'm in there I beeline to the fresh food and beeline out, and things are only going north for the food items I see. I stick to unprocessed high-protein whole foods like beef top rounds and things like greek yogurt and eggs or sardines which are slowly crawling higher in price.
I live in Texas so I've been able to escape most of the beef shortages until now, but in the past two months my trash-tier top rounds went from 3.49$/lb to 4.29$/lb at costco. At normal stores they went from about 4.99$/lb up to 7.99$/lb, which used to be the price of chuck roast or ribeyes on sale.
Really hoping prices stabilize soon (Not after hurricane Ida took out 18% of our oil processing tho lol) because I can't imagine what would happen if the 50% price increase I've seen for regular-store beef turns into 120% increase for all products over time.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Gas is breaking past 3 dollars where it used to be 2.20$ this time last year (in a major city mind you).
Fast food places loudly advertising 14$/hr fry cook jobs on their signboards.
I used to go get cheap steaks from aldi on fridays, what used to be 7.99/lb is now 13.99/lb for the same grade of beef.
At the very least, most meat at costco is still at it's normal price point and I've been stocking up and batch cooking to keep saving $$$.

I saw on zerohedge today that the new home-existing home price ratio is at a point we only saw at the peak of the market bubble before the last recession.
I've been working hard on my hustle and was just about to leave my job, but now I'm filled with a lot of doubt, even knowing that there will be tremendous opportunity in just about a year.
this is a very dangerous time

people just assume prices will keep going up and up

paid 18 bucks for a large BK combo the other day and hadnt been out in a while there.

I couldn't believe it

this inflation is going to crush the poor and middle class

what the F*ck is the fed thinking

oh wait, they are

they want people broke at exactly the time all assets are parabolic and about to ROLL over into bear markets

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
Anyone else (who hasn't seen great success yet) feel a bit black pilled right now?

Assets get more expensive and my dollars keep getting weaker.

Desperation grows.

Feeling like I'll never get out of this rut and finally see some success.

It hit me the other day shopping for health insurance. 750$ a month no vision, no dental.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
It hit me the other day shopping for health insurance. 750$ a month no vision, no dental.
For major medical for my husband, I pay over $1,100 per month. And it has a $5,000 deductible. No vision and no dental either.

DoingDeals

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 13, 2021
You have some great advice. The arrogance is extremely off-putting. Those aren't mutually exclusive.

I just used info out of one of your books to make about $160,000 on a deal. I'm probably less than half your age.

Keep giving your advice and keep working on the humility :)
"By his own admission, he's been wrong more times than he can count and constantly uses his forum interactions to tweak his knowledge and teaching style. All of this makes him a better investor. It also makes him a better writer." -The Book on Flipping Houses, pg 15. I was intrigued bought the book to read it.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

"By his own admission, he's been wrong more times than he can count and constantly uses his forum interactions to tweak his knowledge and teaching style. All of this makes him a better investor. It also makes him a better writer." -The Book on Flipping Houses, pg 15. I was intrigued bought the book to read it.
it's a good book and he's a great writer.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
What the hell? Why is it so much?

I've done a quote on sidecarhealth.com (the "expensive" alternative to traditional insurance) and it's like <$200/mo for $0 deductible and $1M policy for myself.

Maybe I'm missing something.

If it's that expensive I might as well just bank the money or do an HSA.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.