The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hustling when sick? #noexcuses

What do you do when you get a "mild" sickness?

• keep up the hustle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Alex Nolte

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Sep 14, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
What do you guys do when you get "mild" sicknesses like colds, headaches, sinusitis or flu?

Do you take medication to suppress the symptons and then keep working on the fastlane or do you relax/rest and try your best to recover? (by working I mean sitting at the desk and using a PC, no real physical activity)

Has anyone had any bad experience with continuing to work when getting sick?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ricko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jul 20, 2018
London, United Kingdom
It really depends on your ailment but I would recommend that people rest up until they are better and only service existing customers and new enquiries rather than "hustling".

If you are attempting to create a Fastlane business then you are the number 1 asset of the business and as such you need to look after yourself first.

I certainly have a very bad experience here. When I first started my business (Age 32) I became quite sick but assumed that I just had a touch of the flu and carried on hustling. It turned out that I had glandular fever and I ended up stuck in bed for two weeks before eventually going to hospital with Liver damage caused by Viral hepatitis off the back of the fever. The amount of time that I lost due to this illness is far more than I would have if I'd caught up on my sleep and slowed down a little. The NHS insisted on weekly blood tests following my illness to test my liver function and other markers, these tests alone must have cost me a week of work.

Ten months later and I haven't fully recovered. I feel seriously ill if I drink more than a few beers, I lost 30 lbs of muscle and my metabolism has pretty much stopped with my resting heart rate down in the 40's!

I now drink a big glass of juiced green veg each morning and make sure that I get enough sleep, I've not even had so much of a cold since I was last sick. This is what I'd recommend;

1. If you do get ill rest up but make sure that you still look after your clients and service possible new customers.

2. Prevention is better than cure. Take your health very seriously so that you don't get sick in the first place, you are your company's number one asset. What works for me is;
- Green juice upon waking
- Thirty minute walk first thing in the morning and after work (or a decent run)
- Get enough sleep
- Resistance training three times per week
- Rest if injured
- Cut down on drinking (ditch the recreation drugs), avoid sessions which go on until 4am. If you can't then make sure that you rest up after.

You all take care.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
On a more serious note, listen to your body.

If you feel like you need rest, then you need to rest. A common cold can be worked through, and I find that if I keep myself moving, drink lots of water, and make sure I get plenty of sleep I get over the cold quickly.

I wouldn’t classify the flu as a mild illness. A high fever combined with violently puking and shitting calls for lots of sleep unless you want to perpetuate your symptoms.

MB2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 20, 2016
A Tiny island down the ocean (Ceylon)
What do you guys do when you get "mild" sicknesses like colds, headaches, sinusitis or flu?

Do you take medication to suppress the symptons and then keep working on the fastlane or do you relax/rest and try your best to recover? (by working I mean sitting at the desk and using a PC, no real physical activity)

Sickness is a sign of some poor health choices you have chosen.If you are healthy person you should rarely get sick like once in a year.Even that wouldn't be that much of a pain for you.Keep yourself healthy by all means

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Do you take medication to suppress the symptoms and then keep working on the fastlane or do you relax/rest and try your best to recover? (by working I mean sitting at the desk and using a PC, no real physical activity)

Personally in my experience, I've always had to work whether I was sick or not when I've had jobs unless it was a broken leg, emergency and unexpected situation. Colds are pretty common in the work place. Headaches are just really an excuse unless you have a migraine on a regular basis and depends on what type of headache. I have migraines all the time and take two Ibuprofen.

I can say you need to get up every day at the same time, and go to bed at the same time, and eat a healthy breakfast.

If you have medical conditions of course you need to put your health first even if it does make delays in your work. Without your health, you're not going to succeed in business.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Rest for sure.

Fastlane journey is a marathon, not a sprint. When the body is well, you can last the long run.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
The question seems to include several assumptions that I find alarming.
The question suggests that:
The flu is a trivial little illness.
No illness can actually affect mental clarity, to the extent that work should be slowed down or avoided during recovery.
There's an either/or dichotomy between taking medication for symptoms, and resting to recover from an illness, but we can't do both.
With enough hyped-up motivational attitude, anyone can do anything at any time, no matter what medical difficulties they face.
There's never a time when a job or business dealing with the public should be scaled back so that you don't pass along an infection, even if you feel up for your own work tasks.
Rather than asking a health care professional about one's current specific situation, such as the phone a nurse non-emergency lines available in many health plans, or leaving a request for info from a doctor, or using a reputable medical reference site such as the Mayo Clinic's public info sheets about medical conditions, it's a good idea to get random general advice from strangers on the Internet.

I'm glad to see some much more level headed answers in the thread so far.

Illness is not at all only and always caused be a personal failure to take adequate care. My oncologist looked me in the eye and said, "Chris, it's random bad luck for you to have this cancer at all. I don't see any kind of risk factors in your case. That said about bad luck, fortunately, it's a kind with excellent treatment available that has excellent survival rates." MB2, are you suggesting do you know more than my board-certified oncologist about why I had the cancer? That actually is what your post suggests!

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Ten months later and I haven't fully recovered. I feel seriously ill if I drink more than a few beers, I lost 30 lbs of muscle and my metabolism has pretty much stopped with my resting heart rate down in the 40's!

Thanks for sharing your experience, Rick. That sounds like a very scary time. Are you able to do a full day's work at this point, or not yet?

Ricko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jul 20, 2018
London, United Kingdom
Thanks for sharing your experience, Rick. That sounds like a very scary time. Are you able to do a full day's work at this point, or not yet?

I am able to work a "full day" now that I am working for myself. If I were still having to commute into the City at 5am to work until 8pm before eventually arriving home at 10pm as I did for the ten years then the answer would be a definite no. I honestly don't believe that I would be able to do handle that.

I am really lucky that my domain experience has allowed for me to set up my venture and dictate the pace that I work accordingly.

That said, I do not wish to make a sob story of my experience as it is very trivial compared to what other people are going through. It is just a very good example of how you can get sick for no reason and that a small problem can turn into a big one if you don't respect it. People shouldn't feel embarrassed about taking time off if they are ill but that is the way that I was made to feel whilst working in the city. It took me turning up to work in a suit that had become baggy, sweating buckets and experiencing jaundice caused by liver issues for people to stop texting me on the work WhatsApp group telling me to "Man up".

To more serious matters. I am very sorry to learn of your condition and I look forward to reading about you beating the Cancer in due course. It sounds like you are very positive, it has been diagnosed early and you are in one of the best countries in the world for successful treatment.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
To more serious matters. I am very sorry to learn of your condition and I look forward to reading about you beating the Cancer in due course. It sounds like you are very positive, it has been diagnosed early and you are in one of the best countries in the world for successful treatment.

Thanks! Surgery was success at completely removing the cancer. Follow up scans showed that there was no spread. A couple of years out now, still no signs of recurrance, but some lingering tiredness from the total experience. Since I completed the best researched treatment, lifetime risk of a repeat of this particular illness is under 1%.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Good for you, that must have given you a new zest for life!?

It came within months after I was suddenly widowed. Together, those experiences led me to a time of reflecting on what's meaningful and important to me for my remaining decades.

Ricko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jul 20, 2018
London, United Kingdom
It came within months after I was suddenly widowed. Together, those experiences led me to a time of reflecting on what's meaningful and important to me for my remaining decades.

I'd like to hear about that. I think that it would make a really compelling thread (if it isn't one already).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.