The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tech stack when buying a SaaS business as a side hustle

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

richstone.io

API and Automation Engineer Growing SaaS
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 28, 2019
Barcelona
I’ve recently checked out some portals for buying SaaS businesses: Flippa, empire flippers, acquired.com, etc.

I really liked that acquire.com are kind of tech stack aware, so you see from the beginning the stack that the business uses.

I know that I should rather look at the business value, but for a side hustle one-person operation, buying something in a stack that you are not familiar with can be problematic. You might not be able to evaluate the technical mess you are buying and learning the new stack will be more expensive overall.

So my question is, are there more places like acquired.com where you can filter by tech stack, or places in general where you’ll find tech stack-specific offers?

How much weight do you put on the tech stack when making the choice?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
There are typically not that many SAAS's for sale with good numbers that just asking the tech stack (if they don't list already) would take that much time.

If your just buying the code and you plan to do the development yourself I think its a valid concern (especially if their profit numbers were excluding development because the owner did it themselves). I don't think it should stop any competent programmer from a good deal though because unless its something really crazy stackoverflow, google, and chatgpt can get you pretty far. Even if its not your stack I think you would get a sense of if it was spaghetti code pretty easily if you should even be dabbling in acquiring code bases from a skill level.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
Here are a few questions to think through to see if it helps your decision making process.

Have you thought through the value proposition of the business?

What problem do they solve?

Why is their solution valuable?

Is the value they deliver based on the technology they use?

Is it in complexity of the service's functions?

Is it because they solve a problem different than others do?

Or is it in any number of other variables which determine the viability of the business which are less dependent on the tech stack than the solution they offer.

Where is the value?

Imo if you can't procedurally think through what the software does, then you very likely will not know the value of what you're buying.

And if you do, the tech stack is irrelevant.

The tech stack is downstream of the software architecture, which is downstream of the problem they're solving and how they're selling it.

richstone.io

API and Automation Engineer Growing SaaS
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 28, 2019
Barcelona
There are typically not that many SAAS's for sale with good numbers that just asking the tech stack (if they don't list already) would take that much time.

If your just buying the code and you plan to do the development yourself I think its a valid concern (especially if their profit numbers were excluding development because the owner did it themselves). I don't think it should stop any competent programmer from a good deal though because unless its something really crazy stackoverflow, google, and chatgpt can get you pretty far. Even if its not your stack I think you would get a sense of if it was spaghetti code pretty easily if you should even be dabbling in acquiring code bases from a skill level.

That's a fair point, good numbers are rare.

And you are right, looking at most code should be sensible enough. Worst case, one can get together with someone experienced in the stack for an hour from Upwork or codementor (might cost like a 100$).

And if you do, the tech stack is irrelevant.

Appreciate you laying out your thought process for buying! Are those questions you go through when doing so?

You mean the tech stack is irrelevant while evaluating the business, right? Ultimately, the tech stack and the code you buy, might have implications for your business codes etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.