The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Hustle House": What would you want living-wise as an entrepreneur?

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Love the idea of something like this. It's something I've thought about a lot, for me it's a goal to build my business so I can do something like this.

My requirements would be:
- Space
- Good internet
- Some degree of isolation within the house. Need that personal space, plus making music is noisy.
- Nearby gym

Maybe a "social media" person for anyone that needs that. Someone who can do photos, video etc. Having that as a shared expense could be a good bonus for anyone using social, and a good incentive for 'guests' :rofl:

Living in a cheap country so that you can hire a cleaner, chef and trainer are great ideas. Takes a huge amount of BS off your plate so that you can focus on business while making progress in fitness.

Being able to go surfing a couple of times a week would be a nice bonus.

My Monday - Friday schedule would be be something like:
4am wake up
1/2pm finish working
A couple of tea breaks in the middle (I'm British)

Then work out / eat

Maybe a few little tasks in the afternoon and relax a bit

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
What is bad about the idea? WeWork and AirBNB are both great companies, why is this any different? The WeWork founder is worth over $4B.

Traveling is wonderful. Working all over the world seems absolutely thrilling and adventurous and delightful to me. That’s what I expected when I opened the thread. A dear, dear friend of mine lives in Chiangmai and I’d love to visit him someday. I think both those companies are worth a lot because they’re doing a great service.

There’s a difference between traveling to be a producer who genuinely cares about the culture he travels to and a consumer who stays locked up in his pretty box and has stuff delivered to him, including whores. Have you seen the movie Wall-E? This is the 2019 version.

Not really seeing how those adjectives apply to this thread. Except maybe typical... people here have done it before.

I was thinking more like fun, effective, inspiring, focused, hustle, grind, profit.

Sign me up @AgainstAllOdds. I can bring my kids right???? :hilarious:

I wish I would've done something like this in the past and roomed with some hustlers. Would've shortcutted 5 years off my learning curve.

Been trying to convince my wife to take a trip to asia though... would love to experience the Bali villa life for myself.

Which is it exactly? Do you want to be part of a frat house and have all of your physical needs “taken care of” by strangers while you stay inside an Epicurean little bubble away from the sights, sounds, and people of the city to which you traveled or be a part of a family, culture, city that you’re traveling to so you can... Ohhh I don’t know.. come back to the States with a million dollar idea and immediately put it to work?

You couldn’t bring your kids to this gloriously shiny “perfect” little bubble. They wouldn’t be allowed in. But of course you know that.

Real work elevates a man, it doesn’t denigrate him; it doesn’t separate him from all of society and give in to all his carnal pleasures either.

This thread starts out as this really cool enlightened idea. Then it’s not. Boo.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
There’s a difference between traveling to be a producer who genuinely cares about the culture he travels to and a consumer who stays locked up in his pretty box and has stuff delivered to him, including whores. Have you seen the movie Wall-E? This is the 2019 version.

Ok, wow, what? Where did anyone mention hookers?

Do you want to be part of a frat house and have all of your physical needs “taken care of” by strangers while you stay inside an Epicurean little bubble away from the sights, sounds, and people of the city to which you traveled or be a part of a family, culture, city that you’re traveling to so you can...

I think you completely missed the point of this thread. This isn’t a “Fastlane frat house” concept.

Do you understand what the point of the entrepreneur houses are? It has nothing to do with travel.

The entire point of these houses is two main things: focused environment and entrepreneurial community.

The whole reason for picking Bali or Columbia is because it’s cheap. The reasons for getting a chef and maid isn’t for hedonism, it’s to save time. The reason to lock yourself into the house is to focus 100% on building a business with no distractions. The only people you surround yourself with are people doing the same thing, so that you can feed each other energy and have people to bounce ideas off of. This is no different than a mastermind group, but taken to a new level.

Why is this appealing? Have you ever sat down at home and tried to get what seems like a simple task accomplished for your business and realize it taken 4x as long because of simple distractions? Do you need to lock yourself in an office with nothing going on to work? That’s me. If I were single, I’d do this in a heart beat. This is also why I pay money to have coworking space so I can get out if my distraction ridden home and focus.

You’re seeing the worst possible scenario here. Are there houses that end up being frat party houses? Probably. Is this thread about that? No, not at all.

You need to get that chip off your shoulder.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Funny timing on this thread, my college roommate is doing this now. He graduated, worked the phones for a year selling insurance, now he's living with 3 or 4 guys down in Arizona getting into real estate.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Ok, wow, what? Where did anyone mention hookers?

I think you completely missed the point of this thread. This isn’t a “Fastlane frat house” concept.

Do you understand what the point of the entrepreneur houses are? It has nothing to do with travel.

The entire point of these houses is two main things: focused environment and entrepreneurial community.

The whole reason for picking Bali or Columbia is because it’s cheap. The reasons for getting a chef and maid isn’t for hedonism, it’s to save time. The reason to lock yourself into the house is to focus 100% on building a business with no distractions. The only people you surround yourself with are people doing the same thing, so that you can feed each other energy and have people to bounce ideas off of. This is no different than a mastermind group, but taken to a new level.

Why is this appealing? Have you ever sat down at home and tried to get what seems like a simple task accomplished for your business and realize it taken 4x as long because of simple distractions? Do you need to lock yourself in an office with nothing going on to work? That’s me. If I were single, I’d do this in a heart beat. This is also why I pay money to have coworking space so I can get out if my distraction ridden home and focus.

You’re seeing the worst possible scenario here. Are there houses that end up being frat party houses? Probably. Is this thread about that? No, not at all.

You need to get that chip off your shoulder.

I hope you’re right man but not every post was coming from your upstanding POV. I don’t think I have a chip.. it’s possible though.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I hope you’re right man but not every post was coming from your upstanding POV. I don’t think I have a chip.. it’s possible though.

You inferred a LOT of things from these posts. A chip? Maybe not, but limiting beliefs? Sure.

The guys in the PR house? I know @UnrealCreative pretty well, and I guarantee they’re not a “hookers and blow” frat house. They’re working on very real businesses.

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
When you're starting out, I believe there's certain things you don't want to worry about: cooking, cleaning, washing your clothes, etc. Your focus shouldn't include 2 hours per day of acquiring ingredients, preparing a meal, and cooking. It should be on hustling. You shouldn't be cleaning your house. You should be making cold calls.
A villa with 3 other entrepreneurs. A cleaning lady. A chef. No worries but work and relax.

there's nothing to do but work

Exactly these things. Especially the last one. If people were able to focus on their business in their current situation, they'd be buying their own house instead.

Other practical bits:
Upgrade the electrics, especially if outside the US. Blowing fuses/breakers has been a problem for me, even with just one large desktop computer, let alone a house full of them.

Upgrade the internet, ideally with multiple sources bridged in case of outage

Common work area plus work areas in each bedroom. Sometimes you need isolation to be able to think/work.

Visa friendly: people who aren't familiar with international travel will probably need some help with the process, and it should ideally be somewhere that you can easily obtain a 1-year visa. That limits the options significantly, but you might be able to get around it by setting up the house as a business and employing or partnering with the tenants in some way.

Remote office support: most people aren't familiar with the challenges of working internationally. You could fix a lot of their issues by providing some support like servers or vpns that they could connect through to get a US ip, mail scanning/forwarding to a US address, US phone forwarding, etc. Everyone could do this themselves of course, but at least some guides and support in doing so would help and be a nice selling point.

"OMG how could you live in a different country without speaking the language" support: This is the most common response I get when I mention living outside the country. You can't fix everything, but some small things could go a long way, like airport pickup, tour of the neighborhood essentials, language cheat-sheet cards, etc.

Project manager: you mention a chef and cleaner, but what about someone that actually tries to support the reason that people are actually there? Maybe they run a daily scrum and/or weekly progress meetings? What people need most of all is structure and accountability. Add in some progress requirements to the stay and boot people that aren't really trying so they don't become a drag on everyone else.

• nikita •

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Aug 24, 2017
London
A big a$$ open plan penthouse overlooking the city. Only me there. Gym nearby as I'd like to get out of the house and not be completely isolated. Airport nearby so I can fly off somewhere every month.

It'd be nice to live somewhere hot and near the ocean, but living in a gloomy city is what makes traveling to better places so good. I never get tired of it.

I've already got everything here down, now I just need the apartment!

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
You inferred a LOT of things from these posts. A chip? Maybe not, but limiting beliefs? Sure.

The guys in the PR house? I know @UnrealCreative pretty well, and I guarantee they’re not a “hookers and blow” frat house. They’re working on very real businesses.

Cool. It wasn’t just the model/pay chicks comment that got to me though. It seems like the whole idea just transports the cubicle to a distant land. The main complaint I hear from ppl now is that they’re stuck inside all day at their computers.. but maybe the real complaint is that they aren’t using their time wisely because bosses keep setting pointless meetings and disrupting their work flow?

It’s possible I’m seeing it all from a bad slant. It just sounded...selfish, hedonistic, spoiled and.. very, very “American.”

Maybe I’m bitter because I can’t see how to make this happen for my friends or peers in my industry.. that could be it. Alright, I’ll be quiet and think on it some more. It’s very possible I’m bumping up against a limiting belief.... I do that occasionally. Lol.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
It’s possible I’m seeing it all from a bad slant. It just sounded...selfish, hedonistic, spoiled and.. very, very “American.”
What's wrong with a little hedonism? Why go through all of the risks of entrepreneurship and embarking on this journey, day in and day out, if you can't enjoy the spoils of war from time to time?

Having been in San Juan for the past 6 months with @RayAndré & @UnrealCreative, I'd recommend it to anyone looking to break out of their comfort zone. Sure, there are people getting their faces erased a block in any direction around here almost daily, but at this point I'm callused to it all. The focus has been on growing in all areas of life since I bought my one way ticket across the Caribbean.

With that said, a few notes:
  • Going from living on my own for years to roommates again has been a small learning curve, but it has been positive from my standpoint.
  • I have been able to personally observe growth from everyone in the house on several fronts which further reinforces the idea.
  • Picking the right personalities is definitely an important consideration given the close quarters involvement.
  • We all seem to balance one another out which is helpful in a multitude of different situations.
  • The space isn't too confined to erode on our own personal space.
  • For my business situation I needed office space to house local employees so I'm in the process of working through that. I also am just a fan of being able to laser beam focus on my stuff. Coffee shops and shared workspaces don't jive with my goals.

As for living wise, what I looked for was the following:
  • Tax friendly.
  • Warm climate.
  • Secure living quarters.
  • Reliable internet and infrastructure
    • One note on PR, the electrical infrastructure here BLOWS but our our place has full backup generators as does my office space. Google Fi also has proven to be quite reliable to use as a hot spot when things get hairy.
  • Growth minded individuals.
    • I've found over the years this is one of the tougher things. Luckily with these guys that hasn't been an issue.
  • Nice scenery.
    • Here in San Juan we are ocean front and steps away from beach activities such as kiteboarding, volleyball, beach tennis and so on.
  • Social element.
    • When I first moved to Puerto Rico I was single and I have since met someone that is just amazing and compliments me quite well. Having also lived out in the boonies for a lot of my life, the last thing I wanted was isolation away from the populated areas. Good night life, good business networking, and more likeminded people are all considerations to take into account.
  • Cost of living.
    • Not so much of a concern on my end as much as the tax aspect, but PR has proven to be more expensive than anticipated due to a number of different factors, the Jones Act being one.
As a closing statement, if you're on the fence about it and have the opportunity to do so with likeminded individuals (and your business allows), F*cking do it.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
What's wrong with a little hedonism? Why go through all of the risks of entrepreneurship and embarking on this journey, day in and day out, if you can't enjoy the spoils of war from time to time?

Having been in San Juan for the past 6 months with @RayAndré & @UnrealCreative, I'd recommend it to anyone looking to break out of their comfort zone. Sure, there are people getting their faces erased a block in any direction around here almost daily, but at this point I'm callused to it all. The focus has been on growing in all areas of life since I bought my one way ticket across the Caribbean.

With that said, a few notes:
  • Going from living on my own for years to roommates again has been a small learning curve, but it has been positive from my standpoint.
  • I have been able to personally observe growth from everyone in the house on several fronts which further reinforces the idea.
  • Picking the right personalities is definitely an important consideration given the close quarters involvement.
  • We all seem to balance one another out which is helpful in a multitude of different situations.
  • The space isn't too confined to erode on our own personal space.
  • For my business situation I needed office space to house local employees so I'm in the process of working through that. I also am just a fan of being able to laser beam focus on my stuff. Coffee shops and shared workspaces don't jive with my goals.

As for living wise, what I looked for was the following:
  • Tax friendly.
  • Warm climate.
  • Secure living quarters.
  • Reliable internet and infrastructure
    • One note on PR, the electrical infrastructure here BLOWS but our our place has full backup generators as does my office space. Google Fi also has proven to be quite reliable to use as a hot spot when things get hairy.
  • Growth minded individuals.
    • I've found over the years this is one of the tougher things. Luckily with these guys that hasn't been an issue.
  • Nice scenery.
    • Here in San Juan we are ocean front and steps away from beach activities such as kiteboarding, volleyball, beach tennis and so on.
  • Social element.
    • When I first moved to Puerto Rico I was single and I have since met someone that is just amazing and compliments me quite well. Having also lived out in the boonies for a lot of my life, the last thing I wanted was isolation away from the populated areas. Good night life, good business networking, and more likeminded people are all considerations to take into account.
  • Cost of living.
    • Not so much of a concern on my end as much as the tax aspect, but PR has proven to be more expensive than anticipated due to a number of different factors, the Jones Act being one.
As a closing statement, if you're on the fence about it and have the opportunity to do so with likeminded individuals (and your business allows), F*cking do it.

A little sounds completely fine. I’m reading a book about how our environments affect our soul so I’m seeings things in a different ways.

Plus I think I was pissy cuz I’d want to hang out with the guys and in this scenario I don’t think I’d be let in.. then I started thinking how I could create a entrepreneur house thing for my single girl friends and I was annoyed because I don’t have enough chick entrepreneur friends.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

BRAIN DUMP INCOMING.

Alright. Considering this has been a dream for a long time (and we FINALLY had the opportunity to do this over the last 6 months). I'll answer the question at hand and break down what we did right and what I might've done differently.

If you could create your own entrepreneurial "house", what would that look like?
I believe it all begins with the right intent, and making sure everyone shares that vision.

From the start, a "Hustle House" has meant one thing to me:
A place for a total transformation, taking your entire life to the next level.

All three of us were sick of our current situation and needed a drastic change.
Combine that with our shared Fastlane Mindset, coming off the B&P high...
For us it was a perfect storm, which provided us sufficient motivation to make it work.

I can say without a doubt we've accomplished that original vision of totally turning our lives around, and we're only halfway through. Flying a thousand miles away from home and starting a Hustle House has been nothing short of life-changing.

Where would it be? (I'll break this up into "Location" and "House")

* Outside the USA: Personal preference. There isn't anywhere in the USA in terms of relative cost to value where I'd like to live.

* Weather: Warm, Sunny year-round. Puerto Rico has an incredible climate. Warm in the 60-80 degrees range all year round, including winter.

* Infrastructure/Natural Disasters: Internet, Water, etc. has to be stable (or backups are a must). Also not being subject to natural disasters is preferable. Puerto Rico is notorious for utilities to go out during hurricanes, as it is still fragile from Maria.

* Safety: I have to feel secure. Meaning no robberies and/or close to violent crimes. Where we live in PR, I can't say that's the case.

* Entrepreneurial Community: THIS is where Puerto Rico really shines. There are thousands of American Expats that come here for wealth preservation. It's not out of the ordinary to walk down the street in San Juan and meet a multi-millionaire and relatively young, successful people.

* Lower Cost of Living: Have the ability to start frugal with the ability to "scale up" your living standards as you wish. This is where I would've done things a bit differently. Although I have a business that pays my expenses and is growing, I took a risk paying a little more than I was comfortable with. Finances sometimes can be a motivating factor for me, other times it's led to more stress than it's worth. A larger HH with different "tiers" of living standards might help, equipped with Shared, Private, and Master bedrooms for different people's preferences. Then when people decide to leave, others can "move up" to occupy the previous tenant's spot if they wish.

* English-Speaking: Just easier to adjust when you're not an outsider.

* A few hours ahead of the USA. I work with clients and HATE being bombarded with emails first thing in the morning. Having the mental headspace to work without interruption in the morning while my USA clients are still sleeping is the dream.

House:
* By the Ocean & Has Pool: Personal Preference. We live oceanfront with a view and a beach.
Being able to look out the window and see the carribbean, combined with daily beach swims/runs has done wonders for my productivity and quality of life.

* Close to action & walkable: Walkable or short bike ride to necessities and coffee. Nightlife/ Daytime activities need to be nearby to decompress from the working days. I've lived in the woods...is it fun? Sure. Would I do it again? No. Having a life and being close to everything is so much better. That said, I LOVED where @JasonR stayed in Seminyak. Definitely wouldn't mind a spot slightly further away from the action, but has a view and you can motorbike to the beach in 5 minutes.

* Larger, Open space: Place where we can throw in standing desks, whiteboards, etc.

* Private Call Booths: Not easy to make / take phone calls in the living room around everyone.
Or just rooms to break off and focus deeply.

* Cleaning & Chefs. We have a cleaning lady, no chef. Not needing to worry about cooking and/or dishes every week would save a lot of time.

* Guest Rooms. I really liked @AgainstAllOdds's idea of having entrepreneurial guests come visit.

* Power Rack & Weights. I've never had a home gym, and having this around would be killer.

Who would be there?
@RayAndré @Tom.V and I cannot emphasize this enough...

The people are an extremely important factor. We fortunately compliment each other very well. My criteria for people who'd be a "good fit" is...

-We're not total noobs. Having a business that at least pays your expenses is preferable.
-We all work hard when we need to work hard.
-We all know how to play hard when we're done working.
(You can't be boring and need to know how to loosen up).
-We all mutually respect each other and our work.
(i.e. Respect someone's choice to work 16-hour days on a weekend, if they want).
-We all have something to bring to the table, even if it doesn't necessarily mean business acumen.

These are all pretty much a given, but the last point is very important from being "just roomates" to being a real Hustle House. Each of us has some asset that has contributed to the betterment of the whole house.

Just as an example, Andre can:
-Speak and Translate Spanish.
-Dance Salsa really well.

Having someone fluent has saved our asses more times than we an count, as well as having Salsa in our social toolbelt. He doesn't have a fastlane business (yet!), but has nevertheless learned a lot from Tom and I simply from our constant proximity.

Another Example. Tom:
-Is totally relentless in his ability to push for what he wants, business or otherwise.
-Is very tuned-in socially, and knows how to have a good time.

I haven't had a life from 2014ish until now. Just blinders-on, hard work for years. So having someone who knows to have fun was extremely valuable in allowing Andre and I to break out of our shells and live more. We didn't know how badly we needed to "get a life" until meeting Tom lol.

The dude is also absolutely relentless in going after what he wants. He went from having too many employees, to no employees, to one employee, to completely automating 80% of his business. His No-BS approach to business has definitely rubbed off.

As for me...
I'd consider myself a good medium between Andre and Tom. Comparatively speaking, I have a smaller business and decent social skills/humor. Where I probably contribute the most is being a deeply curious and strategic thinker. If you bring a problem to me, I'm not afraid to ask hard questions and dissect your situation until you come to your own solution.

To be honest, I don't think we could've engineered it that way prior to meeting. We just happened to have attributes that compliment each other well. But if you knew what you could contribute prior to starting a house, it would be highly advantageous.

What would the vibe be like?
We've done pretty well without much structure regarding the group. As Andre said we only get dinner once per week. Our "mastermind" is an ebb and flow. Sometimes when we're hyper-focused on doing our own thing we don't share what we're busy with for a period of time. But we always find a way to re-convene.

We're also not focused on improving our businesses 100% of the time either, so we're not really treating this as a 24/7 work-mode accelerator. We'll all inevitably plateau in our business. But we all have the freedom to back off for a while, do something else, and come back to the business when more fresh and inspired.

Personally I go HARD at the beginning of every month on business, not taking weekends off, only to taper off in the middle when I need to adjust and mentally shift my focus to something else. This is when I'll write music, go out more, and generally try my best to enjoy my time here. Then it's a slow rush to complete my monthly goals before kicking off the next one.

What would your day look like from the morning until evening?
This is what things look like now, and it's worked quite well...
-Wake early, preferably before the sun. Swim, Meditate, Write Goals, Tony Robbins Priming Routine.
-I track my mood 2x day. Morning/Evening. If I'm feeling like shit, I'll take the morning off. This is rare.
-I ask, "What project can I get most excited about today?"
-Then ask "What do I need to do, to get where I want to go, as fast as possible?"
-Usually have 3-5 major projects I can work on that day.
-Start working, don't cap flow state.
-Afternoon. Workout, Eat, Nap, mentally reset into my second half of the day.
-Keep working on projects. Usually do sales calls in the afternoon, or move to coffee shop.
-Evening, say after 6 I'll stop working. Eat, and either go out or keep working if I'm excited about the project I'm working on.

All in all, I believe that so long as you have a business and are self motivated...a Hustle House is a great way to take what you've already built and make a quantum leap in the quality of your life.

...Alright, end of brain dump. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
Traveling is wonderful. Working all over the world seems absolutely thrilling and adventurous and delightful to me. That’s what I expected when I opened the thread. A dear, dear friend of mine lives in Chiangmai and I’d love to visit him someday. I think both those companies are worth a lot because they’re doing a great service.

Which is it exactly? Do you want to be part of a frat house and have all of your physical needs “taken care of” by strangers while you stay inside an Epicurean little bubble away from the sights, sounds, and people of the city to which you traveled or be a part of a family, culture, city that you’re traveling to so you can... Ohhh I don’t know.. come back to the States with a million dollar idea and immediately put it to work?

You couldn’t bring your kids to this gloriously shiny “perfect” little bubble. They wouldn’t be allowed in. But of course you know that.

Real work elevates a man, it doesn’t denigrate him; it doesn’t separate him from all of society and give in to all his carnal pleasures either.

This thread starts out as this really cool enlightened idea. Then it’s not. Boo.

Totally understand where you are coming from. I have met @AgainstAllOdds in person and do not think he would let this devolve into what you are thinking.

He will likely be selective about it. I think what he was saying is, it should not be the land equivalent of a submarine where you are stuck around 4 dudes and isolated all the time from social interaction.

A women's hustle house would be good too, and if two should meet and have similar interests and lifestyle why not? The world would be a better place actually.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

@Primeperiwinkle is allergic to fun obviously :hilarious:

Somehow integrating the "Hustle House" with a "Model House". Basically the "sorority" to the "fraternity". A place like Bali attracts top models in Asia either for vacation or work. Top models are in tune with the richest guys (most successful businesspeople), the best nightlife, and have access to an entire network that us "nerds" don't. If you can create a 6-person house, have 3 guys full-time in three rooms, one room for regular visitors, and then two rooms with double beds, and models shuffling through, then you could create an epicenter that people would want to be a part of. You'd attract all the top hustlers in the region. If your house has enough value, then you can even charge the modeling agencies to post up girls there
I don't know who in their right mind would believe this would be conducive to a productive environment.

If getting "in" with the nightlife is what you're after, why not get to be friends with local event organizers?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
It wasn’t just the model/pay chicks comment that got to me though.

here’s a difference between traveling to be a producer who genuinely cares about the culture he travels to and a consumer who stays locked up in his pretty box and has stuff delivered to him, including whores.

At no point anywhere in this thread is there a mention of paying women or acquiring what you referred to as "whores". There's a quick mention by me titled "crazy idea" of integrating with a model house since it'd be an interesting indirect way to tap into other networks of successful entrepreneurs.

Find me the mention of paying women or "whores" (as you call them), and I'll venmo you $100. Otherwise, stop slandering and derailing what has been a productive thread.

Plus I think I was pissy cuz I’d want to hang out with the guys and in this scenario I don’t think I’d be let in.. then I started thinking how I could create a entrepreneur house thing for my single girl friends and I was annoyed because I don’t have enough chick entrepreneur friends.

This seems closer to what the real problem is. Maybe instead of libel, you could post what your ideal living situation would look like?

It just sounded...selfish, hedonistic, spoiled and.. very, very “American.”

And call me what you want. If I'm considered selfish, hedonistic, spoiled, and "American" (never considered that an insult) because I want a living situation where the cleaning, cooking, and laundry is taken care of so that I can put full focus into my work, then so be it.

As for the travel aspect, travel isn't the primary goal. The primary goal is as @UnrealCreative put it: Creating "a place for a total transformation, taking your entire life to the next level."

If you're living in a different country, then obviously you'll integrate into the society and culture, travel a bit, experience the local sights and cuisine, make some local friends, and develop an understanding for the people. That does not come at the cost of creating a strong "home base" that's designed for success. No one's closing themselves off to the outside world. They're just creating a better home that allows them to accomplish what they want in this world.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
The primary goal is as @UnrealCreative put it: Creating "a place for a total transformation, taking your entire life to the next level."

If you're living in a different country, then obviously you'll integrate into the society and culture, travel a bit, experience the local sights and cuisine, make some local friends, and develop an understanding for the people. That does not come at the cost of creating a strong "home base" that's designed for success. No one's closing themselves off to the outside world. They're just creating a better home that allows them to accomplish what they want in this world.

That wasn’t obvious from your first post. Maybe that’s why fleshing the idea out is so important. For instance, now we all know for sure you won’t be having any whores. Yay. Lol.

This thread reads like a advertisement for candy. Exciting and shiny and sweet but I’m doubting the substance. It sounded like a juvenile man cave. Blah! It’s a public forum and I’m allowed to be on a thread and have a differing opinion once in a while. Don’t take it personally. Sheesh.

I was pondering the idea that consumerism in a distant locale surrounded by only like-minded ppl doesn’t sound very enlightening. It sounds like a playboy vacation. It sounds disconnected from the ppl and the city you’ll be trying to serve. It sounds disconnected from any people you’ll be trying to help. It sounds artificial and robotic and decadent, which is fun.. for a bit... but for a year?!? It sounds like twaddle, not a deep life-changing experience. It seems inherently selfish. How is that gonna help anybody be a better human being?

I’m sure it will be quite successful for some ppl. Before then, having a convo with somebody who disagrees with you once in a while might be a good idea.

You getting even the slightest bit testy with somebody who isn’t making many points beyond “this feels off to me” is funny though.

StrikingViper69

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
That wasn’t obvious from your first post. Maybe that’s why fleshing the idea out is so important. For instance, now we all know for sure you won’t be having any whores. Yay. Lol.

This thread reads like a advertisement for candy. Exciting and shiny and sweet but I’m doubting the substance. It sounded like a juvenile man cave. Blah! It’s a public forum and I’m allowed to be on a thread and have a differing opinion once in a while. Don’t take it personally. Sheesh.

I was pondering the idea that consumerism in a distant locale surrounded by only like-minded ppl doesn’t sound very enlightening. It sounds like a playboy vacation. It sounds disconnected from the ppl and the city you’ll be trying to serve. It sounds disconnected from any people you’ll be trying to help. It sounds artificial and robotic and decadent, which is fun.. for a bit... but for a year?!? It sounds like twaddle, not a deep life-changing experience. It seems inherently selfish. How is that gonna help anybody be a better human being?

I’m sure it will be quite successful for some ppl. Before then, having a convo with somebody who disagrees with you once in a while might be a good idea.

You getting even the slightest bit testy with somebody who isn’t making many points beyond “this feels off to me” is funny though.

There's a difference between presenting a well thought out opinion and making poorly thought out, slanderous accusations.

If you have a better idea, or a better variation that you think will work, post your own thread to discuss it.

If you think there is a flaw in the plan... then discuss that.

But quit with the name calling.

kkoasdfawfqwe2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Feb 17, 2017
Europe
Cool idea.

I have a girlfriend so for me its not really an option, but if she for any reason should leave me I'll be down to leave Europe to live with a few other entrepreneurs.

Most important for me would be that my house mates would already be working on an actual business, and not just in a development or idea phase. I fear this might drag the energy out of the crowd if they never get further or start to action fake hard.

That being said I would prefer to live in a big house, preferably multiple floors and with a gym inside the house too. In a warm country with a pool outside for that morning swim to start the day!

I wouldn't really care if it was in the US or somewhere in Europe, but I would actually prefer to not be in a poor 3rd world country, as I simply don't feel safe enough in these countries if I would have to live there.

Cleaning, cooking etc. should definitely be done by someone hired for it. Currently I have my little sister clean my apartment once a week and its the best thing I ever did, it saves me so much time and at the same time I can support my sister with some good allowance money, which I think is a win-win.

@Primeperiwinkle
You have your opinion and you are of course entitled to it. But I don't see why you get to decide what is the right and wrong way to live?

It feels to me that you are spitting out negative adjectives in order to point out that this way of living is wrong - why is your way of living more right? And how could it possibly affect your life in any way?

Obviously if its a whore house with cocaine lying on every single flat surface in the house, its not cool. But knowing how serious people are about their business in this forum, it would be a huge shock to me if that was the ambition.

Cheer up and look at the positive sides to this!

-----

I understand it can make sense to have the house with guys only, since otherwise people might hook up with each other and drama starts etc.

But I think a mix of male and female entrepreneurs could give a different kind of energy.

This is my personal opinion, but I always feel like women can give a different kind of push just by being present, maybe it has something to do with you as a man not wanting to be perceived lazy and slacky, I don't know.. But I have always been more productive with females around and I am more productive now when my girlfriend joins me in my office from time to time.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
* Safety: I have to feel secure. Meaning no robberies and/or close to violent crimes. Where we live in PR, I can't say that's the case.

This is very interesting to me. It seems that all of you guys are aware of the danger, it bothers you, yet you live there despite a very real threat to your life.

Perhaps I'm a big coward, but I find it really interesting that you could have gone anywhere and yet you decided to live in a place that doesn't satisfy one of the most basic human needs. I understand that for you probably the other factors make up for it, but still, it's very difficult for me to come to grips with it.

I wouldn't even travel for a few days to a high-risk place, let alone live there. Lifestyle-wise, there's nothing more important to me than personal safety because who cares if there's great climate, ocean, low living costs, etc. if there's a real risk that someone might rob me or kill me.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
I think it's a great idea. You should identify a place which makes you feel at peace, stress free, and has the basic requirements you need to work (ie, +10meg internet, etc). I say go for it. If I was in your shoes, I would set up shop in Bali or Phuket, but everyone has their own preference on what location on the grid works best for their personality, I've met people that stay a week in those places and it's enough, but for me, it's the opposite.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
TL;dr - My ideal Hustle House would be in Medellin, Colombia. With a few highly driven, but sociable guys. In a spacious, larger than average house.
----------------

I've always been more productive when completely alone. I was the guy who almost never went to the library in high school or college. I just locked myself in a quiet room to study, and got good grades all through. Coincidentally, I was also the same guy who threw all the parties in high school and college. I am very social, but when it's time for study or work, I prefer isolation.

I'm location independent, so I travel more than the average American. I've been and lived in many countries on 5 continents, and spent time in almost every place mentioned in this thread.

That said, my ideal "Hustle House" would probably be:

1. Location: Medellin, Colombia - I spent approximately four months in Medellin over the last two years (two separate trips in 2017 and 2018, and no I didn't go for hookers & blow!). For me, Medellin has the perfect climate for year-round comfort. Never too hot or too cold. This is essential, as working out on a patio or poolside shouldn't be a battle with the elements, while trying to be productive. Or when you feel a need to take a walk.
The city itself has some decent neighborhoods, with access to fairly modern facilities. The natural valley setting is also really beautiful. The people are pleasant, and the overall social life is decent. I like the Spanish language, and learned to speak enough of it to get by.
The food is generally not great, but if you get a cook, you can probably make it work.

2. Co-occupants: Ideally, if there are others in the house, then they have to already have something going for them. Either a revenue generating business or income of some sort. It doesn't have to be much, but enough to cover their own expenses. The last thing you want is a roommate who can't meet their own end of the deal. That is an inevitable brick wall.

Also, I am quite social, and prefer people who are also capable of switching from shrewd business man to party animal in seconds. And then back again, like nothing happened.
People who can hold conversations about a wide range of topics, from deep philosophy to the latest dance move. Not just one-track minds programmed to process and spit business jargon.
Life is too short to be a robot.

3. The House: Personally, I rent an airbnb apartment or house for a month or two at a time, in a different country each time. Right now, I am in South Korea and have been here 8 weeks. I always rent a spacious place, as it makes it easier to spread out and work comfortably. This place has a big living room/kitchen area, two good sized bedrooms with balconies and a good sized home office. 11th floor unit, with a good bay window view of the ocean. Double noise canceling windows all round, so it is completely silent!
Most places I rent are either like this or bigger. Three, sometimes four bedroom units by myself.

I only detail that to emphasize that for me, the ideal "Hustle House" with other people in it has to be huge. It doesn't have to be the Buckingham palace, or even a luxury house. It just has to have a whole lot of space. Cramped living arrangements affect my productivity.

I'm the kind to often work 14-16 hours a day for extended periods, when I'm in the zone. However, in a nutshell, my ideal Hustle House would have a healthy balance of work, social life and highly motivated individuals.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
There's a difference between presenting a well thought out opinion and making poorly thought out, slanderous accusations.

If you have a better idea, or a better variation that you think will work, post your own thread to discuss it.

If you think there is a flaw in the plan... then discuss that.

But quit with the name calling.

I really didn’t think I was attacking anyone, just the idea. I’m accustomed to being able to attack ideas ruthlessly without offending ppl.

I’m going to talk out my concerns with my mastermind group. I really didn’t think I’d be the only voice against this. This might be my blue collar vs white collar thing popping up.. I accidentally cursed out my friend once for that. He laughed.

I apologize for being kinda up and down here.. I really was trying to get to the why. I can see I went about it poorly. Sorry guys.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
View: https://www.facebook.com/VillaParadiseBeach/videos/2436977306581831/

Looking at this property. It's listed for rent. I guess the hotel that used to be there couldn't make a profit.

5 bedrooms. 5 bathrooms. Comes with 5 staff including a chef. Everything that I'd want in a property.

A couple of my friends are saying it's "too far" from the nightlife... it's 20-30 minutes away. It's "middle of nowhere", but I'm thinking it'd be perfect to get in the zone, and close enough for the weekends.

StrikingViper69

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
View: https://www.facebook.com/VillaParadiseBeach/videos/2436977306581831/

Looking at this property. It's listed for rent. I guess the hotel that used to be there couldn't make a profit.

5 bedrooms. 5 bathrooms. Comes with 5 staff including a chef. Everything that I'd want in a property.

A couple of my friends are saying it's "too far" from the nightlife... it's 20-30 minutes away. It's "middle of nowhere", but I'm thinking it'd be perfect to get in the zone, and close enough for the weekends.

holy shit that looks awesome.

Sheens

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jan 13, 2018
USA
That property is awesome and this concept is likewise!

It isn't a far cry from those in college or grad school that live together and get sh*t done, help each other, and make time to relax or go out.

This is way better as it gives locational options as well as additional amenities! The best location I can imagine would be near water or sunny enough to enjoy a pool for many months.

Some or most pools can be turned into a swim spa and would be an ideal workout.

My wants or needs would fit easily with what has been mentioned regarding ample space and a comfortable reading area!

As for who would be there, I'd say some proof of being able to pay rent. I have absolutely no issue with those who will work a job to pay for life while pursuing fastlane. A roommate that will want the rest of the house to carry the load would bring down the vibe in the house.

The only drama I ever enjoy is in a book or movie for entertainment. In saying, the vibe would be as low key, full of laughter, and amicable as possible.

For the Puerto Rico house, stay safe through this weather guys. Thinking of you!

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Although not for me personally as I think living with anyone other than a significant other would drive me bonkers I see the appeal. Some really great ideas here that someone could use even if they aren't in a house per say but just a coworking space. The daily household chores is what eats up my time. I still need to eat, clean, do laundry no matter what each week. It just relates back to how yes everyone has the same 24 hours per day but when you don't need to spend your time on the meaningless grunt work of life, you can get a lot more done whether that be in your own home or in a place like this.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
I'm from Boston, and I love Boston. Besides the cold winters and snow, got pretty much everything here I could want - startup scene in Cambridge, great schools/education/healthcare, big city but not too big, etc. Problem is, I live in the suburbs about 45 minutes away from the actual city. I'm 27. I'm simply not around enough people my own age out here, especially those with an entrepreneurial mindset. Being in the city would solve a lot of the problems while having a special space abundant with this sort of drive and energy would help get things done.

I love all of the ideas presented here of a hustle house, and its something I could see myself doing right in my own backyard, but in the city. I need to experience city living before turning 30, so when I do, this'll be something I look into. Maybe not as sophisticated as some of the ideas presented here, but more than just finding like minded people to room with.

If I were to go anywhere exotic to carry out these plans, it might be Iceland during the summer. I really enjoy the culture there and one of my biggest values is safety, which it is rated among the best. Maybe call it misinformed, but I can't see myself heading anywhere in Central/South America or even some of these popular SE Asia destinations.

Hopeful

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 8, 2019
It's appallingly boring, but I'd just like a small house in a quiet neighborhood where everyone knows each other and helps each other out. I think that cooking, cleaning, and social time are important counterbalances to intense work. But at this point, I'm just a freelancer, not an entrepreneur in the true sense. So maybe there's something about the "entrepreneur life" that would make me want to pack up and move to Central America with my five closest friends? ;)

I actually did spend about 6 months completely focusing on building my editing business. I literally went to another country (and stayed with family). It was great for productivity, but I wouldn't do it again. I think it's very important to be connected with a local community* if you work for yourself. It's not like I have decades of experience in this lifestyle, though. That's just my two cents, based on limited experience and gut feeling.

*i.e. actually have a social life and build long-term relationships

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
@AgainstAllOdds how much is that awesome villa a month/year?

$30,000 for the year. $500 a month each.

I have to get more info and find out if the staff is included in that price, and what the costs would be for high quality food (steak, crab, etc) per month. Utilities probably aren't included either.

Location wise, I'm not sure if it's good if your goal is to party. It's ideal if you want to just work on a single goal (getting in shape, working on your business, writing a book, studying for GMAT, etc).

With that said, there's other attractive houses in Seminyak, Canngu, etc. at slight markups. I have a spreadsheet of houses that my assistant is working on if you want to take a look.

Personally, I'm in if I can get the right group.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.