• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Off-Topic Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'Off Topic: Sports, Funnies, Pop-Culture' started by MJ DeMarco, Sep 8, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $130,323
    I've been in Tampa now somewhere around 750 days. 749 of them have been some of the happiest of my life. 1 day sucked.

I was in MN and snowed in to my house once for 4 days.

I was in Hawaii once under a Typhoon warning.

Arizona gets flash floods, droughts, and dust storms. Rolling blackouts of the power grid. Extreme heat and monsoons.

Choose your poison.

I live where people vacation (so do you, by the way), and will continue to trade the 749:1.

Mikkel, ZF Lee, G-Man and 6 others like this.
  2. scott.legendre

scott.legendre Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $472
    This this this this this this.

Dealing with Harvey over here. During the storm, there was more rescue efforts, trust, and help coming from the Cajun Navy and Texas Navy (volunteers with boats) than there were to the city, federal, and emergency officials. 911 calls were not going through because the lines were too busy while houses were being flooded and waters rising 2 ft+ in their homes. communications through facebook were going out to the boat rescuers. They worked their way from houston to port arthur to orange to wherever the hell the water was going next. Meet the volunteer 'Cajun Navy' saving lives in Houston

HEB, big texas grocery store, has an incredible reputation around here as a grocery chain and for their aid efforts. this explains why. Excellent read on execution.
    The inside story of what it took to keep a Texas grocery chain running in the chaos of Hurricane Harvey

In the meantime, redcross is getting absolutely battered for such poor execution and because our own people are providing better help.

3. Iammelissamoore

Iammelissamoore Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,970
    I hear you loud and clear on this. Currently, I do reside in the Southern Caribbean, in the history of hurricanes, we have not experienced anything of this capacity; however, it doesn't make us any more special than anywhere else that experiences the effects of natural causes. Currently, I have been looking forward to moving from my country, this decision was solely because of the ability to change my scenery - get out of my comfort zone with the intention of creating more opportunities in getting ahead, in the midst of this hurricane, it has helped concretise my decision to move - preferably somewhere that doesn't have monstrous calamities - don't get me wrong, I know everywhere there are challenges, but as Vigilante mentioned we have choices.

As with everything in life, there's always the opportunity to take away something valuable and I adore ALL your points raised, even for a moment, it's good to pause and see the valuable lessons that we can all learn from, regardless of where we reside or choose to reside.

I'm happy to see all our fellow forum members and their families are safe and sound and though this hurricane passed, we look forward - together - to that sun which comes up, to get ahead in still being our best and using our ability to help others see the best in themselves too.

ChickenHawk, Scot, Get Right and 2 others like this.
  4. Ivan M.

Ivan M. Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $649
    Just got back to my house yesterday. Slight damage, I now have a no-screen porch. Other than that, no water damage, no tiles missing from my roof, no window damage and I even have power, praise God. :smile2:

I hope everyone else in Florida (and Texas) receive help, food and safety they need and a safe journey back to their homes.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. Aaron T

Aaron T Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,630
    Checking in from behind Disney, just near Clermont. Lost power, lots of trees. Lost a window from debris in an external home that apparently I forgot hurricane windows on. Roof lost some tiles. But really incredibly minimal damage compared to many around me. Most of that caused by falling trees onto homes or flooding. Literally just got power back 10 mins ago.

Fortunately it degraded to Cat 1 before the eye wall went over us, but that doesn't minimize by a lot what could happen during a hurricane. Even a tropical storm can cause serious damage and inconvenience due to power loss, flooding, and the occasional tornado in the bands.

My prayers, thoughts, and support to all those affected and certainly less fortunate than I was and my family has been.

Very happy to see so many of my friends and those I follow here and back online. I hope everyone else is safe as well.

6. Kak

Kak Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $25,670
    Totally agree, rights all around. ;)

I might argue no one who takes part in a capitalist exchange got "screwed". They valued what they purchased more than their money.

I'm not arguing in favor of these dickheads going around buying up supplies and holding them hostage. What I would say however is that skills like building and demolition do become a lot more valuable in a shortage of this type of labor. Just like certain supplies.

Read the book One Second After... it highlights the US after a potential EMP. Money basically becomes useless and selling things at the same price to your customers even though you might never replenish your supply is just stupidity. It becomes a trade based economy. The new currency is still value to others, but your net worth is your knowledge and supplies.

This is why someone who wants to haul cases of water from 3 states away and charge accordingly is actually helping the situation not hurting it. What he might not account for is competing with churches giving them away for free.

So yeah people holding things hostage from victims are cunts. But so is the attorney general of Texas for getting all the South Park characters of Houston panties in a wad over $2.29 gasoline "price gouging". Price gouging laws, not hurricanes, are what empty the shelves and create shortages in the first place.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  7. Get Right

Get Right Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $19,853
    One of the few nice things about a hurricane - you get to actually know your neighbors. Lend an ear, hand or whatever you have in abundance. If you need an ear or hand, shoot me a PM.

8. jpanarra

jpanarra Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,132

Read that book a few years ago.. That was one fantastic book and might need a re-read sometime soon.

ChickenHawk, Vigilante, G-Man and 2 others like this.
  9. SquatchMan

SquatchMan Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,254
    House hasn't had power for 48 hours.

We evacuated to my dad's office during the hurricane, drank beer, and watched the wind show from the windows (dumb) while working on business and are sleeping here because of the A/C...

because we can.

ChickenHawk, Scot, Mattie and 5 others like this.
  10. $pendi

$pendi Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $112
    Literally nothing happened lmao

Iammelissamoore likes this.
  11. $pendi

$pendi Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $112
    I'm one of the few lucky people to have power, phone service, and internet though

Mattie likes this.
  12. amp0193

amp0193 Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $34,241
    EMP. The real danger of a North Korean nuke that no one talks about. Detonate that over the U.S. in the atmosphere... lights out.

Sounds like an interesting read, will check out.

Cavallie, ZF Lee, ChickenHawk and 5 others like this.
  13. Mattie

Mattie Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $19,893
    I haven't heard anything yet from my friend. I did see on Periscope though Naples has a lot of trees down, but the NBC guy went down several streets and showed the surge was only like two feet, most things look dry, and a lot of trees down. A lot of damage in a mobile home park, power lines down in some streets making it a hazard to walk around, and some houses hit, but no deaths were reported at the time in Naples. I will probably have to wait until the power comes on to hear anything. He mentioned his Verizon phone he was using to capture visuals, wasn't very good reception and stated other companies weren't working at all, so I'll just have to believe he's fine, just hot from the heat. Hope he had enough water, but I'm sure he does.

ZF Lee and ChickenHawk like this.
  14. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,687
    Better hurry and read...
    These days the North Koreans are doing provocative missile tests (one flew over Japan) and the US forces are doing anti-ballistic missile drills.

On the North Koreans, it seems they are trying to piss off everyone. Their ambassador even got kicked out of my country for some slandarous statements....although we aren't hostile folks generally lol.

Aaron T, Cavallie, Scot and 1 other person like this.
  15. Mattie

Mattie Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $19,893
    I heard from Jordan last night around 8 P.M. Eastern Time. I am glad to hear he is doing well, healthy, and no damage to his home. He stated, that the neighbors roof came off, but him and his family untouched. He's still out of power and went and bought a Verizon prepaid phone to contact me, since other companies aren't working. Very relieved now! Seems he just has to wait like everyone else for the area to get back in shape and on track. Thanks everyone.

ChickenHawk and Aaron T like this.
  16. Almantas

Almantas Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,430
    Don't believe everything you see on a TV and hear on a radio. This North Korea nuclear joke is just a distraction.

Longinus likes this.
  17. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,687
    Yes...on the other hand, there are loads of military sanctions on all sides. Their military, more or less their rocket tech might still be stuck in the Cold War age hahaha...

Such is the peril of not having productocracy systems that are encouraged in capitalistic countries....your degree of producing stuff, including weapons just falls flat.

So it might be impossible for them to get the actual tech or materials to boost their research and development, but knowing despotic governments....

Almantas and Aaron T like this.