The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How We Landed $100,000 in Business From a Cold Email

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
What's up everyone?

Wanted to outline how we landed 100k in business from a Fortune 500 company... hopefully this is motivational and helpful for those that are trying out various methods for increasing revenues:
  • Ideally you have a kick a$$ USP (unique selling proposition) that has been written, edited, re-written, etc. until you feel it is on point. If not, stop doing whatever you are working on and spend a day or a week fine tuning it as it is crucial to your success (via cold emails or any other marketing channels). This USP should concisely explain how you can help them with their pain points/problems.

• Once you are equipped with your USP, start writing a few email templates that will appeal to your target audience/customers. Start sending these emails out and experimenting with various templates. Here's the email template we used to land this client:
    • TEMPLATE: Hi NAME, we know how difficult it can be to [INSERT THEIR PAIN POINT/PROBLEM HERE]... We would love a few minutes to discuss how we can assist with that burden while [INSERT YOUR SOLUTION HERE]. Can we schedule a quick call in the next week or two? If there is a better contact to chat with can you kindly advise?

• If/when they don't respond to the initial email, follow up!
    • FOLLOW UP TEMPLATE: Hello NAME, Quick follow up to my previous email regarding how we can help [INSERT THEIR PAIN POINT/PROBLEM HERE]. Hoping we can discuss soon, did you have some time in the next week?
    • We got a reply from this company after our first follow up! There are some studies that show it takes 3-7+ follow ups to get a response... don't feel that you are bothering them, if you have a real solution and want to help, your value is not bothersome.

• Depending on what you sell, the end goal of these emails is to get your target customer on a call or demo. From there, you obviously need to be equipped with a presentation, demo and other sales tools that substantiate your USP and value you provide.
As you can see, this wasn't rocket science or overthought. A few simple, concise emails lead to a reply, then a call/demo, then our first small deal, and then multiple other deals by the same client throughout the year.

So, cold emails can work and are a great addition to your other outbound marketing efforts. Obviously you should be using inbound marketing and testing as many tactics/methods as you can to hone in on what is most effective for your business.

If we can land a major brand/client like this, you can too! Set your goals and targets high, don't worry about rejection and the replies that say "Not interested" "Unsubscribe" or similar... they are just one step closer to that ideal customer that you've been waiting on!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
What's up everyone?

Wanted to outline how we landed 100k in business from a Fortune 500 company... hopefully this is motivational and helpful for those that are trying out various methods for increasing revenues:
  • Ideally you have a kick a$$ USP (unique selling proposition) that has been written, edited, re-written, etc. until you feel it is on point. If not, stop doing whatever you are working on and spend a day or a week fine tuning it as it is crucial to your success (via cold emails or any other marketing channels). This USP should concisely explain how you can help them with their pain points/problems.

• Once you are equipped with your USP, start writing a few email templates that will appeal to your target audience/customers. Start sending these emails out and experimenting with various templates. Here's the email template we used to land this client:
    • TEMPLATE: Hi NAME, we know how difficult it can be to [INSERT THEIR PAIN POINT/PROBLEM HERE]... We would love a few minutes to discuss how we can assist with that burden while [INSERT YOUR SOLUTION HERE]. Can we schedule a quick call in the next week or two? If there is a better contact to chat with can you kindly advise?

• If/when they don't respond to the initial email, follow up!
    • FOLLOW UP TEMPLATE: Hello NAME, Quick follow up to my previous email regarding how we can help [INSERT THEIR PAIN POINT/PROBLEM HERE]. Hoping we can discuss soon, did you have some time in the next week?
    • We got a reply from this company after our first follow up! There are some studies that show it takes 3-7+ follow ups to get a response... don't feel that you are bothering them, if you have a real solution and want to help, your value is not bothersome.

• Depending on what you sell, the end goal of these emails is to get your target customer on a call or demo. From there, you obviously need to be equipped with a presentation, demo and other sales tools that substantiate your USP and value you provide.
As you can see, this wasn't rocket science or overthought. A few simple, concise emails lead to a reply, then a call/demo, then our first small deal, and then multiple other deals by the same client throughout the year.

So, cold emails can work and are a great addition to your other outbound marketing efforts. Obviously you should be using inbound marketing and testing as many tactics/methods as you can to hone in on what is most effective for your business.

If we can land a major brand/client like this, you can too! Set your goals and targets high, don't worry about rejection and the replies that say "Not interested" "Unsubscribe" or similar... they are just one step closer to that ideal customer that you've been waiting on!
Thank you!

What was your headline/ subject if you don't mind sharing? Did it scream the usp or something else?

Chip01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 4, 2019
Scotland, UK
Brilliant advice, thank you!

Really needed to read this today. Have been feeling overwhelmed by everything recently and this has given me a little boost

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
Thank you!

What was your headline/ subject if you don't mind sharing? Did it scream the usp or something else?
We usually use things like "Hoping to Help" or "Hi NAME" or something with the USP like "We help SOLVE THIS PROBLEM"

Definitely good to switch them up and if you really want to track things, take note of which gets better responses...

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Thank you!

I always make my subject a question. I sent out two cold contact campaign this week, both with high 30’s percent open rates.

To investors I used “Recent investment?”

To journalists I used “Startup news update?”

It’s ambiguous and doesn’t look salesy at all.

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
what is your business?

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
Brilliant advice, thank you!

Really needed to read this today. Have been feeling overwhelmed by everything recently and this has given me a little boost
Glad it was useful @Chip01, message me if you need a little help/feedback...

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Yes, I can never figure this out. Or the pain point.
To figure out your USP answer these three questions:

How does your product or service help and add value to people or their business?

How is your product or service different and better than your competitor's?

Why should they buy your product or service for your price instead of a related product for a lower price?

Answer those three questions and you will be on your way to having an awesome USP.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn

How does your product or service help and add value to people or their business?

Why should they buy your product or service for your price instead of a related product for a lower price?

Answer those three questions and you will be on your way to having an awesome USP.

Thanks, I have yet to figure out what product or service I can offer. I thought about process automation, but stumbled on how it can be unique or better than someone offering a lower price, living in a low cost of living country.

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA

Thanks @Dan_Cardone, after doing this then implement into all of your marketing efforts, website, phone calls, emails, etc!

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
Well done. Did you use software like Sendia, MixMax, Mailshake?
Hi @Sebastya we just use our CRM for the most part but I'd love to hear your feedback on any of those softwares. I like how simple Sendia looks and will give one of them a try on my upcoming campaign targeting a different vertical...

wfjcc

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Nov 11, 2018
can you recommend any sources about the follow-up sequence? I have a software with auto-follow up, I just need to learn how to follow-up or the sequence for the next 7 emails.

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
can you recommend any sources about the follow-up sequence? I have a software with auto-follow up, I just need to learn how to follow-up or the sequence for the next 7 emails.
@wfjcc send me a message with some info on your product/service, current email templates, goals, etc and I can try providing some thoughts and suggestions.

SeanODG

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 6, 2019
Chicago
Thanks for sharing this-really helpful advice!

Have you tried cold outreach on Linkedin? I've seen some success with it and have a friend who is crushing it with cold outreach on Linkedin

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
Thanks for sharing this-really helpful advice!

Have you tried cold outreach on Linkedin? I've seen some success with it and have a friend who is crushing it with cold outreach on Linkedin
Hi @SeanODG I have used LinkedIn (sales navigator) and have found it helpful to find the right contacts/titles/etc for companies we are targeting. I have gotten some replies through LinkedIn messaging but the reply rates seem pretty low, even targeting 2nd connections (people that know people I am connected with). Definitely worth trying though, there are other threads that go into more detail and ideas for LinkedIn, check them out!

SeanODG

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 6, 2019
Chicago
Hi @SeanODG I have used LinkedIn (sales navigator) and have found it helpful to find the right contacts/titles/etc for companies we are targeting. I have gotten some replies through LinkedIn messaging but the reply rates seem pretty low, even targeting 2nd connections (people that know people I am connected with). Definitely worth trying though, there are other threads that go into more detail and ideas for LinkedIn, check them out!

Thanks! Sales Nav seems like a pre-req to do a lot of cold outreach on Linkedin in the most effective manner! No wonder Microsoft bought them...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.