The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to save $1,000 AND find more time for you

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Isn't it funny how even people who watch TV a few hours a day will tell you "I don't watch much TV"... And then you'll even run into people at a party that might say, "I don't have a TV" -- When they really do? It's like it's become politically correct to be self righteous in this way regarding television. Very humorous to this guy :)

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm in this camp of "I don't watch a lot of TV" but really, I don't schedule time for TV. I record things on my DVR and when I can't sleep, I turn them on.

As for running home to catch the latest episode of American Idol, nope -- I firmly believe life shouldn't revolve around a fictitious, fantasy escape and we all should try to build a life worthy of its own reality show.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I'm in this camp of "I don't watch a lot of TV" but really, I don't schedule time for TV. I record things on my DVR and when I can't sleep, I turn them on.

As for running home to catch the latest episode of American Idol, nope -- I firmly believe life shouldn't revolve around a fictitious, fantasy escape and we all should try to build a life worthy of its own reality show.

Haha, I know for a fact you watch Football religeously in the fall brother ;) Because I'm in your fantasy league! ROFL

- Hakrjak

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Haha, I know for a fact you watch Football religeously in the fall brother ;) Because I'm in your fantasy league! ROFL

- Hakrjak

Ha Ha .. Sunday is my day of all things gluttony ... food n football, starts at the top of the list!:smxB:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I watch alot of TV because I like TV. Remember that, like a book, writers are sitting down and writing these shows. For example, LOST is incredible in terms of story telling. Reality tv is good sometimes too. Survivor this season is really good, writers could not even think up the stuff that is going on.

I still don't understand why people say it's a waste of time to watch tv. I think it's more based on the eating and sitting on the couch while watching TV than the actual watching of the TV.

For example, watching TV at home alone on Saturday night = loser. Watching TV at home on Saturday night with girlfriend = chillin at home. Watching TV at home on Saturday night with parents/kids = great family time.

In all 3 cases you did the exact same thing.

Also, I've found that many times when I meet people who don't watch any TV at all, they have a hard time socializing about current events because they don't know what's going on in the world. These are people who don't watch TV and don't read news websites.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I remembered when I created this thread was because of a constant complain from people at work... "I don't have money. I don't have time to work on my own business." And then, when you asked them about what's going on with American Idol, they knew all about it.

I find very interesting the way this thread has evolved.

My original post was about the lack of common sense. I don't have time for what is important in my life, but I do have the time and discipline to watch the 5 or 7 shows I watch every week.

I have stopped following any tv series. I only watch my soccer games (Hala Madrid!) and the Formula 1 races (which I tivo cause I don't want to wake up at 5 am to watch them live). And some Yankees games every now and then.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Also, I've found that many times when I meet people who don't watch any TV at all, they have a hard time socializing about current events because they don't know what's going on in the world.

I have not turned my tv on in a very long time. I do watch hulu though.

That being said, I never watch reality shows but I could probably carry on a fairly decent convorsation about the current crop.

How? I start my morning with Primetime in No Time - Yahoo! TV - A Recap of Last Night's TV Shows I can then relate to those that get all jacked up on these things and it only costs me a few minutes. They cover all the water cooler shows and incidents in the shows.

It is also a great way to discover new shows that you might enjoy.

eloise

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 29, 2010
O town
Where would I be without cable TV and a DVR box? Personally, I would be crazy!! My son would be driving me up a wall. He is such a busy kid, not video games persae, but more like digging through the closets and seeing what's in the boxes. Being outside and playing in the pool. He's constantly on the move and it is the only way I can get him to chill out and relax at night, so I can chill out and relax as well!! Oh, does anyone have the ATT Uverse and if so what do you think?

Last edited:

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Also, I've found that many times when I meet people who don't watch any TV at all, they have a hard time socializing about current events because they don't know what's going on in the world. These are people who don't watch TV and don't read news websites.

Yeah, I'm one of those people. I don't even know the names of actors or anything like that. It's too bad I didn't keep count of the number of times I've gotten weird looks this.

For something a little more topical: There may be other expenses you have that, while they don't cost you time, do cost you money you don't need to spend. Bank fees, un-used memberships, debit transaction fees.
At my bank, having an account under a $1,000 balance would incur a $10 charge a month (rounded up a few pennies.) I used my debit card probably twice a week, for $3 on average. (1.5 atm, 1.5 bank). This means about $23 a month for using money that can be avoided.

The main lesson I learned from that is having a small fine for spending the money doesn't deter the urge to make purchases with it. It just makes me tempted to make bigger purchases than I wanted/needed to justify the cost.

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
"Don't complain about what you permit!"
Don't come to me complaining about your situation unless you're prepared to make every possible adjustment to change it. I'm not your priest.

I LOVE this! words to live by...

Personally, I TiVo the only 2-3 shows I do watch a week...(I spend more time with my family or reading books and doing my real estate investments.) Interestingly, I noticed early on that the self-made mega-millionaire friends of mine either don't own TVs at all or never, ever watch them. I find that when I'm at one of these friends' vacation homes, I forget about TV completely and don't miss watching it. I'd rather live my life than watch someone else's life that I don't even know, anyway.

You're right, andviv, that people often complain about not having enough time to do important things, but spend an inordinate amount of time everyday/week watching TV. They complain about not having enough money, but blow cash on frivolous things, like the latest clothes, gadgets, partying, etc...

Often, average people complain and want more, but aren't willing to put in the work or make the sacrifices needed to be more/have more/do more.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I watch alot of TV because I like TV. Remember that, like a book, writers are sitting down and writing these shows. For example, LOST is incredible in terms of story telling. Reality tv is good sometimes too. Survivor this season is really good, writers could not even think up the stuff that is going on.

I still don't understand why people say it's a waste of time to watch tv. I think it's more based on the eating and sitting on the couch while watching TV than the actual watching of the TV.

For example, watching TV at home alone on Saturday night = loser. Watching TV at home on Saturday night with girlfriend = chillin at home. Watching TV at home on Saturday night with parents/kids = great family time.

Bio, I have not had TV for more than 10 years.

I do get my news from my homepage, every day.

If I'm truly interested in a TV show, I'll watch one or two epi's (online, or when I'm traveling), then will buy the DVD set. If I'm likely to watch it again, I'll keep it. If not, I'll sell it after watching it once.

The cost of the DVD is dwarfed by the ENORMOUS amount of time I get freed up each and every day by not having TV in my life.

Yes, it's true I can't talk to you about Lost, or American Idol, or whatever TV show is popular at the moment. But you would be shocked at how well I can get along without seeming completely "disconnected".

For me, it was simple: Years ago, I read an article that talked about what you'd want on your tombstone. In other words, what you valued most about your life. Or, what others valued about your life.

Another way of looking at this was: You are 85. You look back at your life. What are the things you would have done LESS of? What would you have done MORE of? What things would you eliminate altogether?

In this figurative way of "looking back", I decided that I would have spent tens of thousands of hours-- years of my life-- watching TV.

That seemed like a waste, to me. Instead, give me those few extra years to raise a family, or read great books, or travel, or learn new things, or spend quality time w/someone special.

So I disconnected my cable, and had the service turned off.

It was one of the best things I've ever done in my life.

But that's just ME-- ask yourself the same questions ("When I'm 85, and look back at my life . . .")-- see what YOU come up with.

You are a LOT more self-aware than 99.99% of Americans-- so I'm guessing that how you live your life day to day is more "in synch" with who you are/how you see yourself as a person.

So you may not need to make any big changes, or shifts.

Please don't feel like we're beating up on TV watchers-- I like to spend a lot of time online, and a LOT of it is just poking around. For me, the internet is like the biggest, bestest library I could ever hope for (and I've always loved libraries!). So for me, being online is enriching, and something I don't feel is wasted.

Much as the TV you watch is not considered wasted time by you-- buy may be for a different person.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

You make an excellent point here (ties in directly w/my PLAN thread). :)

I choose to take it a step further:

-Why not learn massage w/the gf instead of watching TV? That way, you're 'chillin', plus learning new things, plus building intimacy. :)

-Why not read a book together as a family, or play a learning game (scrabble, boggle, cashflow, checkers/chess, etc). Again, you build the relationship, it's more active than passive, and you are also learning.

But I'm a learning junkie. I LOVE growth, and helping others to grow. So for me, this is more important/fulfilling.

I need to point out, too, that you lead a much more active life than me-- so you are achieving/accomplishing things (mountain climbing, running, hiking, etc) more than most-- and are deriving a great degree of satisfaction from these things by DOING, rather than by watching someone else doing.

-Russ H.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
You make an excellent point here (ties in directly w/my PLAN thread). :)

I choose to take it a step further:

-Why not learn massage w/the gf instead of watching TV? That way, you're 'chillin', plus learning new things, plus building intimacy. :)

-Russ H.

BOY......Who could beat that!!! :smx6::hurray::great:

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine

I disagree :smx2:

Scenario 1 (Sat. Night Alone): Got a snack and watched TV. Got up once for a drink and hit the bathroom.

Scenario 2 (Sat. Night w/ Significant Other): Grabbed a couple snacks and drinks for both of us and turned on the TV. Chatted about the day while missing a few moments of a particular show. She asked if you like her ear rings and you hadn't noticed. She now things you owe her something so she thinks we need shrimp. I go prepare it missing a few minutes of the show. Definitely not into the program as normal.

Scenario 3 (Sat. Night w/ family): Squabbled over snacks, little kids make mess and I clean up while wife changes diaper. Darn it, missed my TV program due to majority rules and watching something I don't care about. haha! Kids want popcorn and coke so I go prepare that, check my email, check fastlane for new interesting posts, go back to living room. Kids fight over popcorn and little one spills coke. I head for kitchen to get napkins. I check my email. What program are we even watching? I wish I was watching mine. Ah well, will catch it on hulu tomorrow.

:cheers:

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007

You know...I thought about this ..... I haven't watched TV or DVD's for 30 years. Have I MISSED something???????????? NO... I don't think so. One thing I learned was to be able to TALK with my wife.......no distractions. MJ has it right....built a life worthy of it's own reality show. In fact one of the reasons I joined this forum was the absence of TV conversation.............in fact when you get down to it .........I don't want to talk about TV shows.....aren't there more important things going on? What about you.....how do you spend your free-time? :tiphat:

Apr 27, 2010
You know...I thought about this ..... I haven't watched TV or DVD's for 30 years. Have I MISSED something????????????

One thing I learned was to be able to TALK with my wife.......no distractions.

built a life worthy of it's own reality show

soapbox.gif

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
I firmly believe life shouldn't revolve around a fictitious, fantasy escape and we all should try to build a life worthy of its own reality show.

I couldn't have said it better myself! I know so many people who have invested time in creating an unbelievably fabulous life for themselves instead of watching tv that no tv show could possibly compare to their now amazing daily reality of extreme luxury, incredible experiences and genuine philanthropy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.