The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to read book fast?

prince1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 8, 2021
There are many book books. Abcause we cant read all but to read as many as possible we should increase our speed of reading book. But i can only read 20-30 pages per hour. So how can i read book faster?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Take a speed reading course. Buy audio books and listen to then any time you drive, walk or in the gym.

themarkboogie

Mamba Mentality
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Oct 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Protip: Pair your left airpod to play one book and your right airpod to play another simultaneously.

On a serious note: Listen to your books while cooking, showering, driving, or resting. This "stolen" time really adds up to a significant amount of time.

BlackSuperman

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
wait. Wait. WAIT!

I want to point out to those new to the forum and those in the stages of growing their business that reading fast/as many books as possible is NOT essential in the grand scheme. You need to read. But the volume/amount of books you read does NOT directly correlate with neither education NOR success.

You read to understand. You read to learn. You read to digest information and transform that education into ACTIONS!

@prince1234 Worry less about reading fast and focus MORE on reading to understand and eventually apply.

Last edited:

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
Yes. This was the question that popped into my head one time when I was with Tony Robbins: what do you use to speed read.

Afterwards I was kicking myself: couldn’t I have thought of something else to ask him? But no one else was asking anything and I wanted to help get the ball rolling.

Read to understand. Be okay with making mistakes. You will learn A LOT as you implement. Some of the learning lessons will be more painful than others (the above was NOTHING). But you will find that you’re still alive. So yes, read MJs… read the others as you see a need to understand a new thing. But don’t stress it.

And personally I found the speed reading stuff to be BS… at least it did not work for me.

I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia.
Woody Allen

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
But the volume/amount of books you read does NOT directly correlate with neither education NOR success.
I agree with the spirit of your message, but this is actually something that has been studied. I thought it was commonly accepted that successful people tend to read for their own edification as opposed to reading for enjoyment.

It might not be true that reading correlates with success, but success does seem to correlate with reading...

BlackSuperman

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
I agree with the spirit of your message, but this is actually something that has been studied. I thought it was commonly accepted that successful people tend to read for their own edification as opposed to reading for enjoyment.

It might not be true that reading correlates with success, but success does seem to correlate with reading...
Now is success correlated with reading? Or is it correlated with learning/education? Because I can read 100 fiction books and still not be successful. Will reading the whole Harry Potter series help me reach $10,000,000 (or however one defines success)?

PS: Only reason I bring this up is that I've noticed many members are ingesting all sorts of information and are completely focused on "gathering as much knowledge as possible" which I HIGHLY believe is the wrong mindset.

Reading should supplement what you're doing for the highest chance at success (unless you're literally reading for fun).

Last edited:

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

prince1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 8, 2021
Why do you want to read as many books as possible? What are you trying to accomplish specifically?
I dont have much time to read books. I have to go to school, school study etc. Even i have left playing games and other useless things but after all that i have very less time to read that's why i want to increase my speed

prince1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 8, 2021
Tahn
Here sir read this book

wait. Wait. WAIT!

I want to point out to those new to the forum and those in the stages of growing their business that reading fast/as many books as possible is NOT essential in the grand scheme. You need to read. But the volume/amount of books you read does NOT directly correlate with neither education NOR success.

You read to understand. You read to learn. You read to digest information and transform that education into ACTIONS!

@prince1234 Worry less about reading fast and focus MORE on reading to understand and eventually apply.
ok

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I can’t listen to audiobooks. They take too long. I read about 60-70 pages/ hour and usually slow down to re read and make sure I understand / make notes.

It’s not about how fast you read but what you learn.

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
Prince, great that you asked this.

@maximusharrison I’m glad you reminded me of this. If you enjoy it, playing audiobooks at 1.5 to 2.5 the speed helps. I miss the ability to write in the book but do it when running, working out (and I can use a break from the music), doing yard work, dishes, etc.

Another thing: I used to buy way too many books right when they were recommended to me.

Now I just add the book to my Want to Read list at Goodreads.com and move on, assured that I will get to it when it’s right.

So far I’ve read 42 books this year and almost every one has been relevant and rewarding me, offering great gems.

Reminds me of two more things: when the book is clearly not good, just stop reading! This is one thing you should quit if it’s crap. There are too many good books to waste time on bad books.

Lastly, before you commit your precious time to an author, go to YouTube, podcasts, etc and search for videos or audio by the author. Some many not be great speakers but, even taking that into account, you can get a good feel of the author. Watch and listen to them. Do they come across as kind, compassionate, knowledgeable, generous (or whatever else matters to you). A great teacher said ‘beware of false teachers’; make sure you’re spending your time with good teachers. Study the ratings and reviews (but know that these are sometimes faked) and whenever possible spend a few minutes or more with video/audio.

@woken and @BlackSuperman - great point. Ernest Hemingway said that it’s much better to read the same story again and again that to wildly read as many stories as possible. It’s essential to keep the true goal in mind: greater skills, strategies, and wisdom.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Skim.

There's no need to read all of what's being said and actually most is just a fluff.

Actually, there were scientific researches on how fastest readers "read".
And the answer is, they actually don't.
They pick up words from the page and ,presumably, figure out the rest to create meaning.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Does anyone know... how I, can become a Billionaire... FAST???
Start with two billion. :rofl:

To the OP, lots of the stuff already said above + just simple: read more. The more you read, the faster you’ll get. Put in the work and results will follow. It’s simple just hard. Like most of life.

I’ve read “Limitless” by Jim Kwik and other speed reading books, none worked for me. Yet the more I read, the faster I kept getting. Not I don’t even look at my speed of reading and often stop and take notes. It’s how I apply what I read that makes an impact on my business and life. And it’s less stressful than having to read “a book a week” like some people to be able to say you did it. I’ve been there some 7-8 years ago… not as useful as people make it out to be.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Start with two billion. :rofl:

To the OP, lots of the stuff already said above + just simple: read more. The more you read, the faster you’ll get. Put in the work and results will follow. It’s simple just hard. Like most of life.

I’ve read “Limitless” by Jim Kwik and other speed reading books, none worked for me. Yet the more I read, the faster I kept getting. Not I don’t even look at my speed of reading and often stop and take notes. It’s how I apply what I read that makes an impact on my business and life. And it’s less stressful than having to read “a book a week” like some people to be able to say you did it. I’ve been there some 7-8 years ago… not as useful as people make it out to be.

Guess what guys and gals. A Nigerian Prince just emailed me. Things are looking up!!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
There are many book books. Abcause we cant read all but to read as many as possible we should increase our speed of reading book. But i can only read 20-30 pages per hour. So how can i read book faster?
There are youtubers doing book review.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
You can easy learn to read a book really fast.
BUT there is no sence to read a good book with much information fast.
Reading fast only makes sence at ...blablabla... books.
Take a book, where you get much information and try it.
I can read a Wild West Soap fast, as it is irrelevant if the hair of the lady is black or white or the kiss is intense or fast.
I can not read all parts of MJˋs books fast, as the value disapears partly.

So its a consideration, if a book I can read fast, is worth the read.
Just my 2c and depends of IQ and personal preferences.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Use different speeds for topics your are knowledgeable of
and topics that are brand new to you.

Its one tip that seemed correct. And actually makes sense.
People may assume that reading speed is based on their skill of reading
and not the experience with text's topic.

So,
something is new to you?
read slow
you're proficient in text's content?
read fast.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I've never done anything special to learn to read fast. I naturally just picked up speed reading and writing together. It makes no sense to speed read if you can not comprehend what you just read and remember what you need to know.

You could say it's a life style in a sense. I rather read a magazine for example in the waiting room versus talking to people. Pretty much I've read everywhere I go. I've listened to audio books in the vehicle as well.

It's just using your time wisely wherever you go. It's choosing to learn something rather then gossiping at the table at work, the waiting room, the drive to work, the bus stop, the airplane, the bus, the cafe, or wherever you tend to spend your time.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think some people like to say "I've read 62 books this year" as if it gives them a sense of accomplishment, and yet, their life hasn't changed to any degree to reflect the knowledge in those 62 books.

What's more impressive is reading only one book during the year, and fully applying it to effect real, radical change.

Quality beats Quantity.
Action beats activity.
Progress beats movement.

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
What's more impressive is reading only one book during the year, and fully applying it to effect real, radical change.
Or maybe 3.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I think some people like to say "I've read 62 books this year" as if it gives them a sense of accomplishment, and yet, their life hasn't changed to any degree to reflect the knowledge in those 62 books.

Quality beats Quantity.
Action beats activity.
Progress beats movement.
I have to agree. I just read your two books, and enough to learn from them. Probably need to read it a few times, apply, adapt , adjust, and practice. This comes with the quality of content in the book. I've read many books that I wouldn't read again, and a few I will go back to several times. There are books worth studying and highlighting, and others that you just read and forget.

Not to mention it tends to be forgotten. As Vigilante pointed out, going back to the fundamentals. This is just reminded me to go back to some of the first stuff I was learning, because it is key and applies now. We might get in a habit of reading so much stuff, we forget what we've already learned, but may need to go back and re-use the information if we've gotten out of balance.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.