The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to make 15-20K in 4 hours..EVENTS!

Draven Grey

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Oct 21, 2014
Denver, CO
To make sure everything is right.....would you just expect everything to go well and someone hand you over a random amount every night? Theres no way to tell if it is the correct amount or if you have been shorted....ive seen plenty of people steal and lie about stuff in this game..

Where the name Janky Promoters come from...
That depends on how you build the business. Cirque Du Soleil doesn't have the owner at each one. A promoter with a small staff can build events into a pretty large business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
To make sure everything is right.....would you just expect everything to go well and someone hand you over a random amount every night? Theres no way to tell if it is the correct amount or if you have been shorted....ive seen plenty of people steal and lie about stuff in this game..

I don't understand why you wouldn't train and pay somebody to do this.

G

GuestUser140

Computers are a magical invention. Everything can be tracked.

I remember a well known owner of a megaclub here that used to design a system to weigh the beer / stack of glasses so nothing could go missing. It was all done automatically and could be followed in real time. Also, work with a small circle that you can trust.

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
Computers are a magical invention. Everything can be tracked.

I remember a well known owner of a megaclub here that used to design a system to weigh the beer / stack of glasses so nothing could go missing. It was all done automatically and could be followed in real time. Also, work with a small circle that you can trust.

They think the same thing with taxes right?
If you pay with cash at some places it comes out cheaper?

Im sure it could be done, im not saying you are wrong or anything but after a while it just gets old.... Just like @iAmAttila said I have done that and been successful at doing so...sooo whats next...im sure im not the only one that would pass up what they know to find a new opportunity ...there's so much to learn out here ...im not here for the money..im here to learn....maybe once im retired(hopefully soon)...i just turned 25 and making 80k+ slowlane since 23..which is good for my age but im searching for more....but if it wasnt for this i would'nt have made it to where i am now....maybe i will go back to doing this on the side but it just no longer interest me any more.. So im just dropping my knowledge for the next person to use...

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
Make an ebook or a udemy course on how to do it. There's an idea right there, if you're up to the task.

Motley crue

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 28, 2015
Portland, ME
I'm curious what types of questions you would ask the owner of the club you're renting out. I also wonder whether you, the club, or the dj provides the dj equipment. A final question I have on my mind (for now anyway) is how do you determine the capacity of the club?

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
Make an ebook or a udemy course on how to do it. There's an idea right there, if you're up to the task.
That would be a small book lol..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stevo1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 23, 2014
That would be a small book lol..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think/know this business could be Franchised where you are the Franchisor. Then it would be fastlane without a doubt.

The trick would be to create a really strong brand around the events that could then be sold off nationally to Franchisees to run there own events across the country.... even the world.

I have an events company running completely different events from those mentioned above. I started running them myself for about two years, but realised that I couldn't take it any further than say 20 miles from where I lived as time and costs made it un-workable. I had an agreement drawn up from a solicitor to allow me to Franchise the business.

I currently have around 35 Franchisees running these events around the UK and only two months ago gave up my last event to a Franchisee so now only collect royalties off each event that is run and a start up fee.

My business is far from fastlane as the events themselves aren't hugely profitable so my fee remains low, but it brings in a passive income at the moment of around $2,000 a month.

There are many things to think about and many ways to "skin the cat" you mention money being involved and the trust issue, but this could be navigated by either charging a set fee per event that is run by the Franchisee or providing a central tool for ticket sales so you can see the amount of tickets being sold and then taking a percentage as your fee.

The big task is documenting every piece of the process to share with your Franchisees our manual for very small events is running at around 150 pages already.

If you start looking further into this feel free to send me any questions. We have made a lot of mistakes on the way.

I think by the time this thred has finished you'll be back on the party bus!!!

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
I'm curious what types of questions you would ask the owner of the club you're renting out. I also wonder whether you, the club, or the dj provides the dj equipment. A final question I have on my mind (for now anyway) is how do you determine the capacity of the club?

How much is it to book the venue?
Can i have it on this date...?
Do you have security or do i have to use mine?
What is the capacity?

DJ brings sound equipment but some clubs have it built in....

The fire Marshall decides this...all venue owners should know this..

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
I think/know this business could be Franchised where you are the Franchisor. Then it would be fastlane without a doubt.

The trick would be to create a really strong brand around the events that could then be sold off nationally to Franchisees to run there own events across the country.... even the world.

I have an events company running completely different events from those mentioned above. I started running them myself for about two years, but realised that I couldn't take it any further than say 20 miles from where I lived as time and costs made it un-workable. I had an agreement drawn up from a solicitor to allow me to Franchise the business.

I currently have around 35 Franchisees running these events around the UK and only two months ago gave up my last event to a Franchisee so now only collect royalties off each event that is run and a start up fee.

My business is far from fastlane as the events themselves aren't hugely profitable so my fee remains low, but it brings in a passive income at the moment of around $2,000 a month.

There are many things to think about and many ways to "skin the cat" you mention money being involved and the trust issue, but this could be navigated by either charging a set fee per event that is run by the Franchisee or providing a central tool for ticket sales so you can see the amount of tickets being sold and then taking a percentage as your fee.

The big task is documenting every piece of the process to share with your Franchisees our manual for very small events is running at around 150 pages already.

If you start looking further into this feel free to send me any questions. We have made a lot of mistakes on the way.

I think by the time this thred has finished you'll be back on the party bus!!!

Yea im still considering it...what type of events are you throwing?

Stevo1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 23, 2014
Yea im still considering it...what type of events are you throwing?
We organise baby and children's sales for mums and dads to sell all there outgrown/unused baby and children's products, clothes,toys etc. On average we sell around 30 tables per event, but can get up to 70 and get around 250 adults through the door in the two hour opening period. Really good ones can get up to 700 through the door.

Motley crue

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 28, 2015
Portland, ME
I wanna say thanks swalk for taking the time to answer everyone's questions. I'm curious about the city you were doing these events in. I live in portland maine, a small city of about 65,000. It doesn't have a huge night life, but there are several clubs that do pretty well on Friday and Saturday nights. There are 3 colleges in the area. UNE has a small student body and is a medical school. SMCC has a student body of about 11,000 and its a community college. Finally USM has a student body of about 10,000. None of them are really "party schools" but they're all in the area. You mentioned Beaumont was a small city, and that you advertised at your college, but is it a college city? I was considering trying to do one of these events in Boston which is a 2 hour drive but a much bigger city with many more and larger colleges. The obvious problem is driving to Boston time and time again would get expensive and take up a lot more time. So I'm wondering how the towns of portland and Beaumont match up. if I can have success doing these events in Portland, I'd much rather do them here than in Boston.

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
We organise baby and children's sales for mums and dads to sell all there outgrown/unused baby and children's products, clothes,toys etc. On average we sell around 30 tables per event, but can get up to 70 and get around 250 adults through the door in the two hour opening period. Really good ones can get up to 700 through the door.

Great idea...you should back that with a website similar to craigslist...get a bunch of people to register and send out mass emails when the next in person event is..

Stevo1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 23, 2014
Great idea...you should back that with a website similar to craigslist...get a bunch of people to register and send out mass emails when the next in person event is..
Yes we have a website with all our events listed, we also have facebook pages for each of our county areas that are managed by our Franchisees. It works really well. It's ideal for people that want to dip their toes into running their own business. We provide them everything they need ... email addresses, website , facebook pages, artwork for flyers and posters, contacts for insurance, tax printers, a facebook forum to talk with other franchisees etc. they literally walk in and don't have to worry about all the early stage set up.

In saying that we succeed with probably less than 40% of the people that come on. A lot don't stick around beyond 2 or 3 events. Most of the time they just don't want to make the real effort to make their business succeed. I would also estimate that over 50% that pay us to come on board don't even read the manual we provide, some have poor first events and even admit they didn't read the information.... That's why there buying the Franchise to get this very information.... we scratch our heads!!!

I still think this would work perfectly with your type of events. Even on this thred there are people talking about and asking you questions about how to select a venue and what questions to ask etc etc. If they are serious I'm sure they would pay for this information and even more so pay to join your team where all the hard/boring what ever you want to call it start up work has been done.

Target some richer students in University Cities. Mummy and Daddy would fork out the few Grand to join your team and let them loose see what they can do. Even if they fail you still have their joining fee. There are also loads of clauses you can add to contracts when they join to ensure they run events in according with the way you want so you can maintain consistency across your brand.

Probably rambled on a bit here....

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
I wanna say thanks swalk for taking the time to answer everyone's questions. I'm curious about the city you were doing these events in. I live in portland maine, a small city of about 65,000. It doesn't have a huge night life, but there are several clubs that do pretty well on Friday and Saturday nights. There are 3 colleges in the area. UNE has a small student body and is a medical school. SMCC has a student body of about 11,000 and its a community college. Finally USM has a student body of about 10,000. None of them are really "party schools" but they're all in the area. You mentioned Beaumont was a small city, and that you advertised at your college, but is it a college city? I was considering trying to do one of these events in Boston which is a 2 hour drive but a much bigger city with many more and larger colleges. The obvious problem is driving to Boston time and time again would get expensive and take up a lot more time. So I'm wondering how the towns of portland and Beaumont match up. if I can have success doing these events in Portland, I'd much rather do them here than in Boston.

When i googled beaumont population it said 117,000..im not sure how many are actually my age...Boston has 650,000+

I didn't focus on just my city,i focused on the citys surrounding my city. Any school can be a party school someone just has to take that first step of setting it up.

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
Yes we have a website with all our events listed, we also have facebook pages for each of our county areas that are managed by our Franchisees. It works really well. It's ideal for people that want to dip their toes into running their own business. We provide them everything they need ... email addresses, website , facebook pages, artwork for flyers and posters, contacts for insurance, tax printers, a facebook forum to talk with other franchisees etc. they literally walk in and don't have to worry about all the early stage set up.

In saying that we succeed with probably less than 40% of the people that come on. A lot don't stick around beyond 2 or 3 events. Most of the time they just don't want to make the real effort to make their business succeed. I would also estimate that over 50% that pay us to come on board don't even read the manual we provide, some have poor first events and even admit they didn't read the information.... That's why there buying the Franchise to get this very information.... we scratch our heads!!!

I still think this would work perfectly with your type of events. Even on this thred there are people talking about and asking you questions about how to select a venue and what questions to ask etc etc. If they are serious I'm sure they would pay for this information and even more so pay to join your team where all the hard/boring what ever you want to call it start up work has been done.

Target some richer students in University Cities. Mummy and Daddy would fork out the few Grand to join your team and let them loose see what they can do. Even if they fail you still have their joining fee. There are also loads of clauses you can add to contracts when they join to ensure they run events in according with the way you want so you can maintain consistency across your brand.

Probably rambled on a bit here....

Yea Franchise joining fees do add up...hmm..

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
Hey,

Just wanted to chime in as I know a lot about this business..

Couple of things...I was in this business for a LONG time in NYC. Anyone who has ever been in this business and taken it seriously by building an actual business in it knows you never layout a dime. Venues are secured through proposals that include deal structures. Usually, my proposals consisted of the entire scope of production and how the venue owner would benefit. If I was bringing on other parters, i've always maintained control of the venues that I had deals at and took care of my team and any subs that hustled for us. My deals would normally include the full door and around 20% of the entire bar. Venue owners would provide security, venue, and liquor. (Sometimes deals would be just flats for us to show up, sometimes they would include marketing budgets, all depends)We would also produce the event such as bringing in big name DJ's (I've worked with everyone from DJ AM to Jonathan Peters - these guys were huge at the time). One night we did a circus theme and had clowns on stilts and little people walking around. It was wild. We did 5,000 people and had girls paying $100 each just to walk in the door. That was one of my biggest and the bar did 184k. You do the math. I brought on 13 teams that night. There is a boat load of money to be made but you have to be good, have a quality following (good looking, middle to upper class mature crowd that is willing to spend money). Unfortunately there will be a few people that won't make any money on nights - your goal is to not be one of them. Thats just the nature of the business and that's why you have to get and stay in control of the deal. How do you do that? You bring on subs and you build an email list. You make your subs have their clients sign up for the list but don't abuse it. Never throw a bad event. One shitty party and you will be ruined. Always make sure the owners security team is familiar with you and your team. LINES ARE GREAT! You want to have a line at the door even if the entire place is empty. Trust me. The other thing is, in your proposal, clarify how many comps you want. That's bottles. For comp tickets, if you have control of the door, you decide how many comps you want. Also, you have your own door guy. Make sure he is a real prick. Some of your subs people aren't going to get in. Again, thats the nature of the business. Before I shut down everything we were doing events like fashion week and hotel venues. I think I had collected around 250k emails over the time. I'm over that business now and I got out of it a few years ago but I made some serious money. I paid for my wife's engagement ring, wedding with it and I bought a home with it. I took care of my team - that was always priority to me. I've been through a few new ventures since being in that business but I do know a lot about it. Things changed now a bit but if you need any help, feel free to drop me a message. I'm planning on my next business - who knows what my creative juices will lead me to.

So this was my first attempt at a click-bait title ....lets see how many views and likes it gets..i think this is what i have learned is copywriting in my short time being here.(plan on studying that soon)

brain dump btw..no editing ..

the key to making that much quickly is EVENTS!

I have searched the forum and haven't seen anything about events for some reason... its not fast lane for me but it could be for others so i figured i would post it because it may help others. Now i mean you guys can ask questions and i will try to answer from what i know but i am no expert...

While in high school-2009 and college-2013 I stayed in the small city of Beaumont TX. I was well known around the town and i used social networks to my advantage. When i started it was just Facebook and twitter. I think i have 3 Facebook profiles with about 5000 friends on each. One personal and the others were for my group in which I added the people in the cites around Beaumont.

My group had about 4 key players including me and a bunch of people who just wanted to be apart of it because everyone knew us. The key players were all older than me by at least 3 to 5 years older so i kind of looked at them as my mentors. But we had a group of people similar to me as far as being known. We had the age groups of my age +6. We threw mostly parties but also a few events and this actually help me meet a lot of people and pay my way through college while learning how to market stuff.

All we did was book venues/buildings anywhere from $600 to $2000 a night for 5 hours to host events.

Thats it.

Not hard at all once you have a strong social following but i have seen people have success without it. Someone would book the venue for the event (for example we will use a $1200 venue) and we would split the cost between the 4 key players so we are looking at $300 a piece on the deposit. Flyer design and print you are looking at $75 for flyer back and front design and about $120 for 5000 prints. So $200 on flyers..50 each. Everyone drops about $350 a piece maybe a little more $5-$10 because our person that prints our flyers is in Houston TX and someone has to drive a hour to go get them so we cover gas.
[TIP] The more people that put in money means the less risk on losing money but THE LESS YOU LEAVE WITH.(from 18 to 23 i have only took a loss for $15 and that was one time)...explain later

So we would book the venue roughly 3 weeks(or so) before the event for average $350 out of pocket cost. Then we just post the flyers on our social networks every day and pass out the printed flyers on campus at school in between class. Normally you aim for people that you don't see on your socials and try to engage in conversation and get their info...girls i would easily go for numbers or Instagram and for boys i would try to get their twitter or Facebook. Also lets not forget the people that just want to be apart of my group...they don't put up any money or anything but they just pass out flyers ..some to get girls and some to get in free...and other reasons. So we would let them in free of course and were talking only about 6-7 people if they pass out flyers..

Now i will go into detail later on the small stuff if needed but only if asked.

We ask the free people to get there before events so we don't have to deal with them in the line and blowing up our phones ect... Normally we aim with venues with 800+ capacity in which normally we hit or come close to. Depends on several factors...cost..occasion(holiday or not)..type..and a bunch other stuff..

Im using a night party for example but we have done a few day time events such as sneaker conventions, concerts and stuff. So 9PM we try to get there and make sure everything is in place. At least 2 cops(required at clubs,sometimes the building owner takes care of this) they are normally $30+ a hour..usually dont do anything but stand outside..so we also have to have security inside at $15 hour(sometimes we do and sometime building owner has their own)normally 3 or 4 will do.

By 10 PM SLOWLYYYY we start letting people in... girls $12 ...boys $15 for about a hour or so then we raise the price g15/b20 and so on for the rest of the night ..normally wont go over g20/b25 but it depends...do you look like you have money...are you out of ddress code...do we know you or not.

so lets say on average everyone pays $18
-bad night 650 people x $18 =$11,700
-good night 900-1200 people=$16200-21600 ^^(would be higher charge but im using avg of $18ea)^^

By the end of the night we pay the cops=$240
DJ=$540(this is very high compared to others ,but that is what we pay our main one-keyplayer)
the people who passed out flyers $50-$75 = 325
security=240

So as far as cost after the events..we are looking at cost roughly $1345 and then we split the rest between the 3 or 4 people that put in for the party...
-bad night $11,700-$1,345=$10355 is about 2588 each
-good night $20,000-$1,345=$18655 is 4,663 each ..

Now some nights we made a whole lot more and some nights we made a little more but we always made our money back. When i was around i think sophomore of college we cut a couple of older people out and me and my room mate did it our self with the same results and less people to split it with at the end of the night.

I attached a few pictures btw. pictures always help put a story together and make credible lol
Will write more later..

...like if you found helpful

Last edited by a moderator:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Thanks to all who shared. I have a girl friend who wants to start doing Speed dates in the city. Any advice on how to approach this? I try to throw some ideas her way such as make sure you dont pay the place, tell them they'll make money on drinks, and maybe have it not at peak happy hour, but I am not expert in the area either. Cheers

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
Thanks to all who shared. I have a girl friend who wants to start doing Speed dates in the city. Any advice on how to approach this? I try to throw some ideas her way such as make sure you dont pay the place, tell them they'll make money on drinks, and maybe have it not at peak happy hour, but I am not expert in the area either. Cheers

Has she talked to others that have tried this before ,or attended one in that area before?

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
This thread inspired me to start my own rap festival. I've got six artists confirmed (as well as a DJ) and I'm in the process of confirming the venue. The performers are up-and-coming artists. We're going to set up a site with our name, throw up a poster on the site, along with a plugin for ticket sales, which will send money straight to our bank accs. We drew up contracts for the artists so that they get paid after the event, meaning our initial overhead is low. We're in the process of creating a poster for the event, which we will post in university facebook groups and have it promoted on Twitter. It's going to be a lit event in Toronto. If all goes well (or not so well), I'll share my experiences in this thread in an effort to help others.

Two things that you have to know about the event planning game are:
1) Music is a cut throat industry with a lot of ego. Being too nice can get you F*cked over. Negotiating skills come in handy.
2) It's stressful to say the least.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
Would it be good to throw a concert/event on a sunday?

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey

I've never been involved with these types of events, just major DJ parties and music conferences.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.