• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Join now and within minutes, you can start getting advice from real millionaire entrepreneurs who live the dream.

GOLD How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing, Copywriting, Social Media' started by Fox, Sep 7, 2016.

1. cmor16

cmor16 Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,422
    So I started this a little over a week ago, spending as much of my free time as possible going through the lessons. I also purchased a book to use as reference whenever I can't be in front of my computer.

This may or may not lead to the FL, but oddly enough, that's not what's on my mind as I am going through the lessons. I'm finding that, even though I have no previous experience, I can learn a new skill and I am actually enjoying it!! I used to be so event driven that I would lose patience and quit because the end result felt so far down the road. Now I'm kicking myself because I didn't start sooner, but I won't dwell on that. I will continue to learn and apply that knowledge.

I may never make dime designing web pages, or I may make millions, or most likely somewhere in between, but that's not the point. I am gaining a new skill. I have learned to not focus on the event but instead, focus on the process. Most importantly, I just started doing something, and it feels great!

Thanks @Fox for starting sharing you process.

Chazmania, Huracan, Kingmaker and 4 others like this.
  2. MakeItHappen

MakeItHappen Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,054
    I happy for you, keep going.
    However the real process begins when you start cold calling, networking, advertising. That's when you will be foced out of your comfort zone. That's the most important factor whether you will succeed or not.

Good luck!

3. cmor16

cmor16 Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,422
    Thanks, I totally get it. I hesitated on posting it because I know it can easily be interpreted as an action fake. This is clearly the easy part of the process and I really haven't learned much, if anything about entrepreneurship. Perhaps I have a case of Shiny Object Syndrome, but do feel I am making progress.

I have set some goals to keep me focused and on track and I will leverage the forum to hold me accountable. I also have the motivation of breaking free from a 50+ hour slowlane workweek to keep me going.

I also intend on joining the Insiders, but not until I have legitimately started a business.

Fox, Chimp and MakeItHappen like this.
  4. kameronja

kameronja New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $56
    eg:
    I noticed that your website gets an around 12,000 visitors per year and even a 1% increase in conversion rate can get you 120 interested prospects and over (120*profit of 1 sale*.1)$

. .. ..[/QUOTE]

How do you find this information? Can you please explain? how do you know web analytics of a website if it is not your own?

5. Chimp

Chimp Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $756
    Argue, Adryor, Deceiver and 2 others like this.
  6. johnnyfriendly

johnnyfriendly New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $27
    Hi @Fox

You say you use Freshbooks but I've looked up Freshbooks and it seems that it is only accounting software as in it creates invoices to be sent to your customer. How do you actually get paid? Do you have a corporation bank account that they transfer the money into? Do you operate as a sole trader? Do they pay it into your PayPal account? Also do you pay yourself a salary and income tax on that salary? In essence how does the money get from the customer straight into your hand? Thnx.

7. PrimeLF

PrimeLF Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $114
    Freshbook invoices actually allow your customers to pay through that invoice. You can read more about it here: Accept Credit Card Payments Online Free Trial | FreshBooks
    I'm assuming he gets the payment into Paypal or he transfers it to his bank account.

FastNAwesome and Fox like this.
  8. Fox

Fox Legendary Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $34,761
    As said above Freshbooks creates an online payable invoice.

It goes through Stripe into my business account (I am a real business). I am a Ltd company in Canada.

For you it will depend on where you live and how you want to set yourself up.

PrimeLF and FastNAwesome like this.
  9. BigSheep29

BigSheep29 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $66
    Hey everyone, I wanted to write in. I am just beginning at this from a development end but have a lot of experience in sales so thought I would share some value on how to keep the sales rolling in.

1.) Prospect Every day.

This means that you should be googling companies, finding numbers, and calling new people every day. The consistency in doing this will lead to more consistent sales over time and you won't experience the "Boom and busts" of an average business/salesperson.

2.) Research at night, call during the day

It's super important to user your time wisely. Do the googling and making lists of people to call at night, and use normal business hours to make phone calls. This optimizes your time as your clients will be picking up the phone from 7am-6pm, so you want to spend that time dialing not googling.

3.) Create email templates

Makes it very easy to send emails to folks you are interested in but wont pick up the phone. This is possible in gmail and will save you a ton of time.

4.) Sales is a Process, Play the Numbers

Sales is a process, and like any process there needs to be input to get an output. As an example, ff I make 80 calls in a day maybe 8 people will pick up and I can get 2 people to want to move forward with interest. So that is essentially 1/40 calls get you to a potential sale. If you are skipping your dials/emails then it is easy to see how the amount of leads/opportunities/sales you will get will dramatically decline.

Just keep dialing/mailing people, tweaking your process, be disciplined/consistent, and the opportunities will present themselves.

Hope that is helpful to some who have not done much sales in the past.

Expect me to reach out for dev help ;)

10. masterneme

masterneme Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $777
    Hey I'm still halfway through the thread but I saw some of you wanting to record Skype conversations and/or your computer screen.

Check OBS Studio, it's an amazing free open source multi platform program used to record from different sources and/or to do live streams.

It's mainly aimed towards gamers but you can use it for any kind of recordings. And it's because its main strength is gaming that it has many powerful features that you won't even find on other more "serious" commercial programs like using your GPU to record the footage with high bitrates an minimal performance impact.

Edit: Sometimes Skype gives problems with the audio and a good way to solve them is using Voicemeeter, a free audio mixer.

And if you want to edit the footage, you have a professional grade NLE for free too: DaVinci Resolve.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Argue, Torty Emmanuel, Fox and 2 others like this.
  11. masterneme

masterneme Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $777
    OK I read it all :)

I'm totally wowed by all the info there is here, thank you very much!

This might be helpful for anyone with absolute 0 budget and/or for the first weeks when you're learning.

You don't need hosting, you can use your computer as a server, install WAMP/LAMP/MAMP.

And when you have a decent website you can record a walkthrough on video, upload it to Youtube and send it to your first potential customers.

If you want them to go to the website they could even visit it if you send them your public IP, you may have to change the port forwarding on your router though.

The thing is, there is NO excuse to make this work even if you have 0 money, 0 experience or 0 knowledge.

Edit: I forgot to say that there is another awesome site to learn coding: Learn Code The Hard Way.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Kingmaker, Young-Gun and Fox like this.
  12. kubbaaa

kubbaaa Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $263
    How long does finalization of sale takes for you?
    I have 3 clients, who signed the contract, and another 3 interested, but they do everything very slowly.
    One sale is open for 3 months (!!!) - I had a few meetings with him, he told me that I could do 2 more sites etc.
    I'm waiting for text, images from 2 of my clients (2 weeks and 1-2 months (he actually paid me 50% in advance))

3 people, who are interested in buying site, postpone telephone call (they are busy or "I'll call you tommorow").

Next time, I will add in mail, with images how they site could look like, (cold-call first) information, that if contract was singed until (~2 weeks?) I will offer one month free to make changes on the site.

13. JakeVW

JakeVW Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $156
    I see a lot of people talking about contracts here and on the FB group, and I don't recall seeing one posted in this thread. Is there just a general contract online or something you have them sign? I don't totally understand what they are signing on the contract, isn't the upfront money guarantee enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Young-Gun

Young-Gun Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,943
    This is great practical advice, and perfectly mirrors my current experience as I'm doing research / pre-sales / Customer Development for my SaaS startup.

Prospect at night (use time wisely), make a HUGE list of potential contects (play the numbers).
    Use email templates (yup!)
    Prospect every day (in my case I do outreach 3 days a week because I'm using the other 4 to learn coding)
    Persistence is key.

Hey, if you have a chance to join my SaaS progress thread, I'd love your input.
    Sounds like you definitely know what you're talking about :)

Chimp likes this.
  15. Young-Gun

Young-Gun Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,943
    I agree, learn Code the Hard Way is a fantastic resource.

I'm using that site to learn Python coding for FREE.
    The author has a fantastic style imo. A good mix of seriousness and humor.
    A balance of guided study and self-exploration.
    Partially hands-on, partially theoretical.

Highly recommended.

Kingmaker likes this.
  16. Born-To-Run

Born-To-Run Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $214
    Alright, finished a website for a client and have moved them to my server for hosting.

Website was developed for free and I am charging $50 for 30 days of hosting. I have offered them a discount if they pay for more months upfront, currently it's 30 days (no discount), 90 days (10% off), 365 days (20% off). They are discussing going with the 365 day option which will be $480 a year.

I am having some trouble deciding how they should pay for this. I have a contract I've done up but i'm iffy about doing contracts online (no face to face, cant guarantee who is signing it), how do you guys go about this?

On that note instead of a contract I was thinking of putting a link to an agreement form on my web design website for them to agree to which lists the options for their hosting plan. Once they've agreed to the terms and selected their hosting plan they go to payment where its processed and they get sent an invoice.

Also, depending on the client I will need to charge different prices for hosting. One client may only be the work of $50 for 30 days of hosting, while another may be $200 for 30 days. I need an agreement form I can change on the fly (tailor to individual clients) and link them to.

I have no idea how to go about this so any info would be appreciated. In the time being I will do some research of my own.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    SindbadtheSailor and Fox like this.
  17. BigSheep29

BigSheep29 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $66

Checking it out now!

Young-Gun likes this.
  18. daru

daru Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $306
    That was pretty mind blowing. I'm a full stack developer so the coding stuff was not the big takeaway for me, but Fox and many contributors to this thread really did a good job of explaining the selling value part. Thank you!

I have built a couple of sites for my former employer and updated a old web site I did for a family friend that runs a small construction company. So I have a small portfolio already. I also live in a town with big industries and have joined a local business network so I get to talk to them in person about their needs regarding new websites. I mainly see this as a way to learn sales, make some money to pay the bills and get in touch with people to find needs of a Saas business.

Since I'm a full stack developer I see that there are some confusion about programming languages, frontend, backend etc. which I will try to clear up a bit below.

What Fox is doing is mainly frontend development which means he's using HTML and CSS. Maybe some Javascript which I guess is part of the theme and perhaps never even edited? What does frontend mean? Basically it's all code that is run (executed) by the web browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox etc.).
    Of HTML, CSS and Javascript that's used for frontend development it's really only Javascript that is a programming language. As explained over and over throughout the thread, stick with HTML and CSS and frontend design if you just getting started. Why?
    Because you don't have to learn programming (steep learning curve) to get started. You also don't need any web server to start designing your frontend web site. Just edit the HTML file and CSS file in any folder on your computer and then open the HTML file in your web browser. It's when you need to put the website online that a web server is needed but that pretty much boils down to FTP your files to a specific folder on a web server (on GoDaddy, Bluehost or whatever).

Backend development becomes a lot more complex pretty fast. Here you use programming languages like PHP, JavaScript, Python, Ruby, Java (Javascript and Java is completely different things!) and C#. One could use C, C++, Lisp etc. for web backend development but it's not that common. They are mainly used for systems programming and desktop apps.
    With backend programming you often need to learn a bit about databases, set up a development environment with a bunch of tools and a development server.
    If you wan't to do backend programming or just learn programming Ruby and Ruby on Rails web framework is good. Personally I prefer Python programming language and Django Web framework to get started. Why? The documentation is just awesome for Python ( Learn Python the Hard Way - Read for Free) and for Django (Django documentation | Django documentation | Django) and/or (Django Web Framework (Python)). Also, Django generates a really nice admin interface that's really helpful!

Wordpress seems to fit somewhere in between Frontend and Backend.

Huracan, Katsuya, Argue and 9 others like this.
  19. #nowhere

#nowhere Snug speed Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,298
    Hi Fox,

thank you for the great thread. Helped a lot! I'm now doing my first site. I purchased the theme and the variant theme builder.

Variant seems to be a bit like drag and drop? Do you use it nevertheless or do you just use the HTML-template?

Thanks!

20. Drew D

Drew D Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $756
    That's what's nice about this.

There's a ton of really easy money in it for people who want to put in the work, and nothing for people who don't. Someone ain't gonna make money if they aren't picking up the phone and calling businesses.

21. Fox

Fox Legendary Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $34,761
    I am sure people have noticed my posts have dropped off the last few pages. I have been flat out with trips to four different countries in four weeks and have done three sites alone this week! I have a new thread coming very soon that will have a lot of video and some more insight into coding and starting a web design business.

22. leviathan

leviathan New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $61
    Hello,
    I'm having some second thoughts about a project, would appreciate the opinion of the fastlaners.

Started my web design adventure about a month ago, made a free one-page site for my young friend who has just opened her attorney office.

She got me a lead, her former boss, a wealthy senior attorney with 30 years of experience who has never had a website before.
    I met with him today, we discussed his needs and he feels he needs a 1-1.5 month project.

Then he also told me that he wants me to do the whole project for free, as well as pay his hosting and domain costs. In exchange, he assured me several times that he will find more clients for me in the future.

I reluctantly shook his hand, thinking I have to start somewhere but now I have some serious second thoughts.
    What is your opinion?

23. Fox

Rep Bank:
    $34,761
    F*ck that. There is free portfolio work to get going and then just being taken advantage of. I would say no way. Ask him if represents people for free?

Work a new deal or move on. At least $3,000 and probably much more. My range for law sites is $4,000 - $8,000.

24. Drew D

Drew D Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $756
    No way. Why would u do 1+ months of work for free?

25. cmor16

Rep Bank:
    $3,422
    I agree with @Fox. If anything, charge in full up front and offer him a finders fee for referrals. I think you can do it on your own though.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

jpanarra and leviathan like this.